• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Lol what kind of a post is this?

" Rjs having a fest, let me not go to his and hold my own so we split attendance"
i was joking because when I checked the boards, there were at least 2 other people not including RJ hosting a fest today.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I would totally go to a smashfest, but I literally just got home from being gone all day so Im tired as **** and am going to sleep so I can be all awake and fresh for tomorrow's SMASH 4 CENTRIC NINTENDO DIRECT!!! WOOOOO!!! (it starts at 4 for anyone looking to watch it)

Link for tomorrow in case as well: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-08-2014/

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
i was joking because when I checked the boards, there were at least 2 other people not including RJ hosting a fest today.
O my bad dawg

I would totally go to a smashfest, but I literally just got home from being gone all day so Im tired as **** and am going to sleep so I can be all awake and fresh for tomorrow's SMASH 4 CENTRIC NINTENDO DIRECT!!! WOOOOO!!! (it starts at 4 for anyone looking to watch it)

Link for tomorrow in case as well: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-08-2014/
****ing hype

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep tournaments on track and speed things up? My main complaint is that we were there FOREVER. Obviously, like Mars said, people shouldn't be waiting 3 hours for a match, but even tournaments in Utah tend to last 7+ hours for a single bracket.
Three things, which is all basically dependent separately, but can be all under the TO's "control"

1) Set-ups - Obviously if there's not enough set-ups, there is going to be delays. Best cast scenario, have one for every match up from the get go (if 32 man bracket, 16 set-ups, if 64 man bracket, 32 set-ups, etc). That enables you to start the biggest thing off the bat, or Brawl since it WILL take the longest, then start the next division two or three hours down the road (depends on time availability and etc).

2) Timed DQs - This one I do try to be lenient on depending on size and time flow. But in usual cases, it just needs to happen. I would have personally demanded a DQ for those people that took 3 hours to get back to their match. I had to do two DQs my last tournament because of time reasons, one pair not cool with it (though it was their fault for not starting when I told them to), and another was acceptable of it.

3) Communication to TO - Honestly, this helps in judging when or when not to do the #2 thing. It is completely upsetting when people don't report their matches to me AS SOON as they're done, or when they take it upon themselves to just start the next opponent in their line of fights. The TO is there for a reason, respect them and their position. Nothing is more frustrating when things are mix-matched simply because people want to do "their" thing. Order in the venue people!

Those are probably the biggest thing to have happen. I honestly feel as if the time it took me to run through both Melee and PM Singles took less time COMBINED than it took Brawl Singles, and the former two had MORE competitors. Brawl is a huge time consumer, and should always be done first if doing multiple brackets. From the sounds of it, the crew running this tournament just decided "LETS DO TOURNEY LULZ" without really planning ahead for it. Granted, plans can be shattered day of (had a lot more people bringing set-ups in the middle of everything than I thought, which ties back to communication), but you can always have a back up plan. I remember once being told you can't plan specific times for multiple events to start since you don't know how many people will show up. I had to restrain laughing there at the ineptitude to plan for the possibility, as they just wrote it off as an unknown.

TL:DR version - Tournaments can go smoothly if there's a good amount of planning and a good amount of respect/communication between the TO and the competitors. Lack of either will throw things into utter chaos.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
This sucks... Nintendo direct starts in 4 minutes.... My Software Engineering class starts in 4 minutes... WHYYYYYY!!!?!?!?

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Who the freak is Greninja?! I know it's a pokemon but that's one they chose to be the fighter?!

Everyone else is freaking legit tho. ZSS is tight

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Were you hoping for klefki???
*facepalm* I thought you were joking so I googled it. My childhood is torn to pieces.......I can't believe they got so desperate to make a pokemon that carries keys

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Who the freak is Greninja?! I know it's a pokemon but that's one they chose to be the fighter?!

Everyone else is freaking legit tho. ZSS is tight
Seriously though, that was pretty impolite making greninja look like mewtwo for a second.

Pretty pumped for editable movesets though.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
There's no way editable movesets are going to be viable for tourney play. Not only because of the possibilities of brokenness and everything around that, but imagine how long that would take every time you want to play a different character. Custom controls are a big enough hassle as it is.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Thoughts on the direct?

I think it's going to be the best smash bros yet.

Competitively though... I think it's going to be great but not as good as melee.

There's no way editable movesets are going to be viable for tourney play. Not only because of the possibilities of brokenness and everything around that, but imagine how long that would take every time you want to play a different character. Custom controls are a big enough hassle as it is.
Well... it's not going to be implemented into online competitive play so I don't think they expect custom movesets to be competitive... just for fun.

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Greninja is now growing on me. I just can't wait for the volkswagon beetle pokemon to "Bug into Battle!"

Or even better: Volkymon Bugs the Battle!

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Well... it's not going to be implemented into online competitive play so I don't think they expect custom movesets to be competitive... just for fun.
When has competitive play ever been dictated by Sakurai's intentions? Its possible it'll be broken but I'm imagining a set up where there are only 1 or 2 pre-existing variations for any given special (the example being mario's fireball shown). It could be like another level of counterpicking.

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I bet you could save certain character cutomizations into the controller that way it won't take a lot of time

-Mars-

Smash Hero
It still won't be allowed. Its already hard to learn 40 matchups, now having to learn matchups plus variants of those matchups would be impossible.

FD only for glory mode sounds stupid, FD isn't even the most neutral stage in smash, Battlefield and a couple others are the true neutral stage. Sakurai said I know some of you only played on FD...what the **** is he talking about.

Also this game has like no hit stun if any of you were paying attention

But Sheik is back and now I have grenades so none of this matters

Tomacawk

Smash Master
i can definitely see altering specials for matchups being legal and sort of like selecting ultras/assists in sf/marvel

what i see more than anything is this game sucking ass and having 0 competitive viability, more than anything else, i can't understand why everybody seems so hype when disappointment is in the future but i'm not gunna **** on ur guys' parade

i couldn't fathom a brawl community but it happened anyway so i guess i'm foolish for writing this game off before ever playing it but w/e
i don't trust sakurai at all

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
It still won't be allowed. Its already hard to learn 40 matchups, now having to learn matchups plus variants of those matchups would be impossible.

FD only for glory mode sounds stupid, FD isn't even the most neutral stage in smash, Battlefield and a couple others are the true neutral stage. Sakurai said I know some of you only played on FD...what the **** is he talking about.

Also this game has like no hit stun if any of you were paying attention

But Sheik is back and now I have grenades so none of this matters
lol, Sakurai must've stopped paying attention to the scene after our "no items, fox only, final destination" phase

why would so many match ups be problematic? isn't that the same as marvel vs capcom? Pretty sure there's specifically a bajillion matchups in that game due to character selection x3 and assist variations

Last edited:

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
REMINDER AND ANNOUNCEMENT:

Today is the LAST day for online registration, and to be able to get your spiffy personalized badge to wear at the tournament (Yes we extended that deadline for one more days): Click the link below to go and register now.

We're happy to announce that we will be doing on-site registration at the tournament. On-site registration will begin at 10:00 AM, the same time as Pre-Registration Check-in. Those who register at the tournament will not receive a personalized badge.

Only a few days left to practice. We'll see you all there! http://saltlakecomiccon.com/fanx-super-smash-bros-tournament/

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Wish I could go.....oh well. I'll be too busy playing the smash 3ds demo that sakurai sent me

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Is there somewhere I can go where melee fans don't come in and just ***** about everything that isn't melee?
expressing concern that smash4 will suck = ******** because it isn't melee? got it
is there anywhere I can go where people don't think that appreciating good games is having a fetish for melee?

edit-like gj dude all you did was piss me and probably a few others off. you got a problem? say it tastefully and constructively. all you did was make me like you less and show me you actually have no understanding for what my actual qualms with smash4 are
whatever

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
expressing concern that smash4 will suck = *****ing because it isn't melee? got it
is there anywhere I can go where people don't think that appreciating good games is having a fetish for melee?

edit-like gj dude all you did was piss me and probably a few others off. you got a problem? say it tastefully and constructively. all you did was make me like you less and show me you actually have no understanding for what my actual qualms with smash4 are
whatever
You could use some happy juice

http://www.herballygrounded.com/HappyJuice_p/happyjuice.htm

Top Bottom