• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

-Mars-

Smash Hero
expressing concern that smash4 will suck = *****ing because it isn't melee? got it
is there anywhere I can go where people don't think that appreciating good games is having a fetish for melee?

edit-like gj dude all you did was piss me and probably a few others off. you got a problem? say it tastefully and constructively. all you did was make me like you less and show me you actually have no understanding for what my actual qualms with smash4 are
whatever
Why will it suck? You haven't played it.

Is there somewhere I can go where melee fans don't come in and just ***** about everything that isn't melee?
No. You can report posts though.

lol, Sakurai must've stopped paying attention to the scene after our "no items, fox only, final destination" phase

why would so many match ups be problematic? isn't that the same as marvel vs capcom? Pretty sure there's specifically a bajillion matchups in that game due to character selection x3 and assist variations
MVC3 is like that but

1. You have 3 characters so you don't actually have to learn matchups you have to build a team that covers the most powerful archetypes

2. Over half the cast is terrible and not tournament viable

3. That game is terribly broken and unbalanced

Now everyone's going to complain about Sheik dittos in the Apex Finals
Beautiful.

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
expressing concern that smash4 will suck = *****ing because it isn't melee? got it
is there anywhere I can go where people don't think that appreciating good games is having a fetish for melee?

edit-like gj dude all you did was piss me and probably a few others off. you got a problem? say it tastefully and constructively. all you did was make me like you less and show me you actually have no understanding for what my actual qualms with smash4 are
whatever
Dude, I like you, but come on. I'm just tired of back handed ways to dump on non-melee games. You say I'm not gonna **** on the parade and then say the game will suck and have no competitive viability in the same breath. That is ****ting on the parade.

Saying "i couldn't fathom a brawl community but it happened anyway" is dissing brawl period. It has been made very clear to everyone that melee players as passionate as you have a strong distaste for Brawl and understandably are probably not going to like smash 4. There's no point in beating it home after ever trailer, announcement, whatever happens next.

Sorry if I come off dickish, I was just hoping I could talk about a game without being reminded some people think it sucks every time.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
that's all valid criticism and much easier for me to take without being mad, ty
all i was trying to get across is my opinion (game will suck and not be competitively viable) while making the point that i'm not some automaton filling the role of naysayer/brawl hater/general contrarian, but that i honestly believe those things

the reason i got pissed is because you wrote me off like every other person talking **** for the sake of talking **** when I had thought I made a statement specifically to address that I was not coming from that angle

edit-im just gunna never talk about brawl or smash4 ever because i don't have much of anything positive to say

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
that's all valid criticism and much easier for me to take without being mad, ty
all i was trying to get across is my opinion (game will suck and not be competitively viable) while making the point that i'm not some automaton filling the role of naysayer/brawl hater/general contrarian, but that i honestly believe those things

the reason i got pissed is because you wrote me off like every other person talking **** for the sake of talking **** when I had thought I made a statement specifically to address that I was not coming from that angle

edit-im just gunna never talk about brawl or smash4 ever because i don't have much of anything positive to say
That's totally fair and I get that.

By the way, @ -Mars- -Mars- , I don't report posts, that's weak. I just PM them and say "Wut? Who r u? Fite me irl."

Tomacawk

Smash Master
that's how you resolve conflict boys
as is almost always the case there wasn't really any conflict but rather a breakdown in communication/understanding

I explain why I didn't like what he said as I felt it was unfair to me, he explains more specifically what his issue was with what I said, while acknowledging why I was upset, and I not only understand and accept his criticism but he also successfully showed me that he empathizes with and understands my reaction
that's some serious next level conflict resolution

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
also notice that it was almost entirely unilaterally squashed, as remi took the pressure off of me and pulled me out of a defensive state of mind because he was committed to a peaceful end
ironically i'm currently reading "The Tao of Negotiation" by Joel Edelman yet Remi is the one putting the principles to work

i'm actually really impressed. even look at how I worded what I said:
"the reason i got pissed is because you wrote me off"
what I MEANT was "I got pissed because of how I FEEL or THOUGHT you wrote me off"
Remi could have been upset by this and furthered the conflict, but he understands that it isn't that he did that, but rather I *perceived* that he did that. rather than respond and get mad that I've misrepresented him, he understands that this is the core of the dispute and does the extra work on his end to end it
props man

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
that's how you resolve conflict boys
as is almost always the case there wasn't really any conflict but rather a breakdown in communication/understanding

I explain why I didn't like what he said as I felt it was unfair to me, he explains more specifically what his issue was with what I said, while acknowledging why I was upset, and I not only understand and accept his criticism but he also successfully showed me that he empathizes with and understands my reaction
that's some serious next level conflict resolution
That or u just fite irl.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
also notice that it was almost entirely unilaterally squashed, as remi took the pressure off of me and pulled me out of a defensive state of mind because he was committed to a peaceful end
ironically i'm currently reading "The Tao of Negotiation" by Joel Edelman yet Remi is the one putting the principles to work

what I MEANT was "I got pissed because of how I FEEL or THOUGHT you wrote me off"
Remi could have been upset by this and furthered the conflict, but he understands that it isn't that he did that, but rather I *perceived* that he did that. rather than respond and get mad that I've misrepresented him, he understands that this is the core of the dispute and does the extra work on his end to end it
props man
mindgames son

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman

props man
mindgames son
Utah conflict resolution metagame 2014

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
smash 4 has brawl air dodge... That means it's like brawl.... And if it's anything like brawl it's going to suck.... Mkaaay?

Honestly though I'm really looking forward to this.... Haven't had this much hype since brawl release! Like I don't wanna play pm because of this. I JUST WANT SMASH 4 NOW!!!

Also.... Is anyone looking forward to Smash Run?

Last edited:

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
On a side note. Will it even be possible to host smash 4 tournies on the Wii U since there is no option for a wired controller. Also I think the Wii u only has an HDMI port so people will have to bring HD TVs or monitors.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
On a side note. Will it even be possible to host smash 4 tournies on the Wii U since there is no option for a wired controller. Also I think the Wii u only has an HDMI port so people will have to bring HD TVs or monitors.
I'm sure it'll be possible it just means people will have to buy new controllers. I honestly think that's the biggest turn off for smash 4. I just hope the gc adapters will be compatible and by that I mean there aren't any new controls that will be missing. Cause if the adapters do work all it means is that people need to dish out 10 or so more dollars instead of more for the classic controller.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
For anyone wondering who Greninja is, hes basically like the Charizard or Blaziken of Gen 6 (so the super popular starter final evo). Hes also one of THE best competitive pokes, having a ridiculous speed, good movepool for both physical and special sets, plus has access to THE best defensive doubles move as a signiture move (Mat Block), and an ability that gives him STAB on EVERYTHING which is hella strong. Plus hes Water Dark type which is badass. He quickly became the posterboy for gen 6 after being so widely loved AND incredibly strong.

Also, still laughing at how shafted Yoshi got for his reveal lol. Sakurai was like OH YEAH AND HERES YOSHI *show 10 seconds of footage* alright moving on to the stuff you guys actually care about. Lmao

Also, ****ING CALLED THE ZELDA DOWN B CHANGE WAAAAAY BACK WHEN THAT DAILY PIC OF THAT KNIGHT WAS SHOWN!! Id link showing proof but im lazy.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Nope I did that on purpose, thought about being more punny about it, but was on my phone and my phone suuuucccckkkkksssssss to post on.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
There's no way editable movesets are going to be viable for tourney play. Not only because of the possibilities of brokenness and everything around that, but imagine how long that would take every time you want to play a different character. Custom controls are a big enough hassle as it is.
I mean, we clearly dont have all the info on this yet (or any info outside of the fact that it exists for that matter) but I think its way too early to be jumping to conclusions that it wont be viable for tourney play. Also, assuming they'll just give every character a bunch of broken options isnt very likely imo, based off just what we've seen, every change came with pros and cons (marios fireballs could be bigger and multihitting but really slow and low range, they could be fast long range and rapid fire but do no hitstun, DK could have armor on headbutt but it had like twice the startup, etc). First off, we dont even know how it works at all yet. One thing I noticed, is that it only showed examples for Special moves, so it could be only for special moves. Also, I higly doubt there will be more than just a few options for each move, so Id be willing to bet when it's turned on, theyd be picked much more like assists in MvC where you just pick the ones you want for each character as you pick your team (or in this case when you select your character) instead of having presets or control settings. Also, as a fan of going random, I love the idea of having a random version of each special each time I random someone, the main reason I play random is to enjoy all the playstyles and options all the characters have to offer, so that would just accentuate that. That's all speculation though, so none of what I said really has any backing, its just my thoughts on what it could be, and honestly, I love the idea of this (so long as its only specials, more than that would just be too much lol) since it allows players to fit their character more to their playstyles and allows you to play the character how you want it to be played. I could also see this being really gimmicky if done poorly, but I like the idea of it and I DEFINITELY dont think it should just be brushed under the rug already.

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I mean, we clearly dont have all the info on this yet (or any info outside of the fact that it exists for that matter) but I think its way too early to be jumping to conclusions that it wont be viable for tourney play. Also, assuming they'll just give every character a bunch of broken options isnt very likely imo, based off just what we've seen, every change came with pros and cons (marios fireballs could be bigger and multihitting but really slow and low range, they could be fast long range and rapid fire but do no hitstun, DK could have armor on headbutt but it had like twice the startup, etc). First off, we dont even know how it works at all yet. One thing I noticed, is that it only showed examples for Special moves, so it could be only for special moves. Also, I higly doubt there will be more than just a few options for each move, so Id be willing to bet when it's turned on, theyd be picked much more like assists in MvC where you just pick the ones you want for each character as you pick your team (or in this case when you select your character) instead of having presets or control settings. Also, as a fan of going random, I love the idea of having a random version of each special each time I random someone, the main reason I play random is to enjoy all the playstyles and options all the characters have to offer, so that would just accentuate that. That's all speculation though, so none of what I said really has any backing, its just my thoughts on what it could be, and honestly, I love the idea of this (so long as its only specials, more than that would just be too much lol) since it allows players to fit their character more to their playstyles and allows you to play the character how you want it to be played. I could also see this being really gimmicky if done poorly, but I like the idea of it and I DEFINITELY dont think it should just be brushed under the rug already.
But spacies and shine

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dont have a problem with the current Brawl shine, and Falco has shown they can do creative things with it, even if his isnt as good as standard shine is. Besides, I think Wolf's shine is more like what shine shouldve been to begin with. And I dont mind there being multiple kinds of shine so long as its not Melee's frame 1/positive on shield/safe on whiff/jump cancelable/combos into itself+up smash all at the same time while also being on basically the most mobile character/a character with a god mode projectile lol.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
all i know is that i want fox's shine to be jump cancellable and i dont even play him

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure it'll be possible it just means people will have to buy new controllers. I honestly think that's the biggest turn off for smash 4. I just hope the gc adapters will be compatible and by that I mean there aren't any new controls that will be missing. Cause if the adapters do work all it means is that people need to dish out 10 or so more dollars instead of more for the classic controller.
I'm just wondering if having many wireless controllers in one area will cause interference.

Even if it's exactly like Brawl, it'll still be an improvement for the competitive scene since people won't have to lug around CRTs.
But are people going to be able to just throw it into their tournaments along with melee, brawl, and PM. Those three games can all be played on the same equipment so it’s not inconvenient to have them all at a tournament. Also are people going to be willing to bring their more expensive HD TV’s to a tournament? Do you think people will include smash 4 in their tournaments along with the other 3 or do you think it will have to be smash 4 only tourneys?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I can't wait to be banned for relentlessly targeting one player.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Coo Coo Katchu!!! Random spam hi guys :3 thinking of doing a last tourney out here. Before I move to New York.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
What post has the details on this April 12 event? And does anyone wanna smash in the evenings?

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
The Wii U has an HDMI port as well as the same port that the Wii used, so you can still plug it into a CRTV, but I think all games are 16x9 so you'll have to play it in letterbox format.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
does anyone in the provo/orem area wants to play melee or project m for a little bit tonight? i finally got around to picking up a crt :-p.

Top Bottom