• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
random side question: how are you guys using the word "scrub"? i thought that FGCs used it to denote someone who manufactures limits on gameplay/complain about existing mechanics (e.g. "ledgehogging is cheap", "shine is soo OP", "stop camp spamming projectiles!", etc.). you can be good, you can be bad, you can be new to the game, you could be a veteran; regardless, you can still be a scrub. that was my understanding of it, but it seems like many people use it synonymously with "newbie/newb/noob/etc.". is that how people use the word these days? i'm ok if it is, but just wanted to verify the linguistic creep if it indeed happened :-p.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
random side question: how are you guys using the word "scrub"? i thought that FGCs used it to denote someone who manufactures limits on gameplay/complain about existing mechanics (e.g. "ledgehogging is cheap", "shine is soo OP", "stop camp spamming projectiles!", etc.). you can be good, you can be bad, you can be new to the game, you could be a veteran; regardless, you can still be a scrub. that was my understanding of it, but it seems like many people use it synonymously with "newbie/newb/noob/etc.". is that how people use the word these days? i'm ok if it is, but just wanted to verify the linguistic creep if it indeed happened :-p.
yes

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Unfortunately, not everyone is familiar with Sirlin's work, and people often use "scrub" and "newb" interchangeably.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I might be down to play this evening. Working 8-5 is more tiring than I thought.

Anyways, I generally consider my entry fee a pot donation. And FanX is a bit too much of a donation for me to make. But I'll still be there to hang out. Also I live just a few minutes away from the guest house where FanX is if people wanna practice there before or after.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I might be down to play this evening. Working 8-5 is more tiring than I thought.

Anyways, I generally consider my entry fee a pot donation. And FanX is a bit too much of a donation for me to make. But I'll still be there to hang out. Also I live just a few minutes away from the guest house where FanX is if people wanna practice there before or after.
Always think of it as an investment. Playing against people competitively in actual tournament settings teaches you a lot. ;)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I use scrub as a reference to the fact I picked up a janitors shift on saturday

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I've always used scrub to mean someone who knows the game and probably has played a long time, but isn't good and talks more than plays, and noob for someone who hasn't played for very long, regardless of skill.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I got a question for all of you . Just a funsies question for funsies conversation.

When you pick up Smash 4 for the first time what character are you going to play first? What characters are you excited to play?
For me I'm going to play ZZS first and I'm really excited for ZZS, Shiek, and Greninja.

Last question... it's probably too early to decide on this but which character are you hoping to main?
For me I want to main ZZS.

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
That's actually a tough question cuz there's so many!

The first guy I'm gonna play is mega man. I want to main mega man too but I'm afraid there are already going to be a ton of mega mans.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
That's actually a tough question cuz there's so many!

The first guy I'm gonna play is mega man. I want to main mega man too but I'm afraid there are already going to be a ton of mega mans.
probably.... honestly... I think mega man is going to be a very viable character. His edge guarding is going to be sick with his over b. Those spike disc things can go in 8 directions.... his fsmash is perfect to counter horizontal recovery at stage level... his up air counters floaties... and his down air counters vertical recovery... so much potential. The only problem that I see with him is that he might have trouble getting people off stage without grabs.

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
I'll play Villager first, he looks fun as heck. I'll probably main Fox, but DK and Ike if he gets revealed are in the running.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I got a question for all of you . Just a funsies question for funsies conversation.

When you pick up Smash 4 for the first time what character are you going to play first?
The same character I always play.

Random.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I'm never going to even try a character other than Rosalina. If she ends up sucking I'm going to have to be a low-tier hero because she will be my main whether she's good or not.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wow, way to shaft the ICs, what did they ever do to deserve such a rejection. Not even a single chance.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dont even like Mega Man, come at me.

#LemonsFired

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I'd also like to add Villager to my list.... too much hype... and I can't wait to make villager meme jokes. I mean seriously.... his final smash builds a tiny dark house around you then blows it up.... how is this not evil?!?!?!? AND JUST LOOK AT HIS EYES AND HOW HAPPY HE HIS AND HOW HE CHEERS AS HE PUTS YOU IN THIS CRAMP DARK PLACE AND BLOWS YOU UP!!!!! He drops bowling balls on your head! He catches your tools and uses them against you! He buries people alive and drops a tree on them! HE PULLS THE GRASS OFF YOUR LAWN!!!! HE"S EVIL!!!! And he just flies away with balloons. I CAN"T WAIT TO PLAY HIM!!!

inb4 caps

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably not going to, but I'll be there. If there are a ton of people in brawl, I'll play. Maybe get one easy win to boost my confidence. But more likely, I'll do friendlies in whatever. There probably won't be that many friendly stups for a while though.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Someone come up to my apartment and play smash bros with me.

ZerosUT

Smash Cadet
Small brawl fest at my place tonight in preparation for FanX. 5300S 1300E, Around 7

Last edited:

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
I'm probably not going to, but I'll be there. If there are a ton of people in brawl, I'll play. Maybe get one easy win to boost my confidence. But more likely, I'll do friendlies in whatever. There probably won't be that many friendly stups for a while though.
yeah, pretty much the same, I'm bringing a setup early tomorrow for PM friendlies though. Hopefully they won't need it for melee/brawl if they get behind on their schedule.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
We shouldn't. The biggest thing we'll need is TVs, really. I literally have 20 set ups that I'm providing, just not enough TVs. I'll have two set ups dedicated to Project M, so we will see on other things

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
I can bring a CRT and a projector tomorrow. Could also use the projector for the bracket if you wanted to do that.

Top Bottom