• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Then you must have noticed the change. If you don't come like I said then oh well. But thanks to everyone said that they're coming it keeps me motivated to keep doing this.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
All i'm saying is that no matter how many people come in saying they only play melee (and there have been quite a few over the past year or so) there still has only been one or two decent melee tournaments in the past couple years. That's in spite of someone saying almost every tournament that all the melee players need to come cause they're hosting some sort of mini tournament or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I love melee and will play it when I can. I even hope it gets big. It's just going to be awhile before a brawl-less tournament is going to have any success.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Well with the scene changing and trust me it is. ive been meeting alot of melee players out here, so a melee only wouldn't be a bad idea and if people don't show up because there isnt a brawl bracket then tough **** I could really less right now.
so you keep telling us to trust you and you keep making changes about and now you're saying there is no brawl,
not smart, not smart at all

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Kay, seeing how its my tourny I'm at liberty to kinda do whatever want. Hell I could make it a Brawl- tourney and be happy with it. If taking brawl out is a problem then dont come simple as that. And for record ive really only made one change and that was to drop Brawl. GG

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Run a Brawl and Melee tournament. Don't alienate the bulk of the scene. This is coming from a melee-exclusive player.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
I don't get the fuss. It's the first tourney he's running. I'd rather he start small than take on more than he (or the venue) can handle. He seems pretty confident that his area has more interest in Melee than Brawl, so I think it makes more sense for him to run Melee if he has to choose between the two.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Wrong Melee and Brawl. There will be PM but as friendlies.
was there going to be a pm tournament, shiro is a co host so id assume there was
but you changed it hmm??? good luck with that tourney anyway though since its going to be so big ur gonna need it

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
It's his tourney he can run it the way he wants. You can state your opinion/give advice/whatever without being hostile. I personally won't be driving out to a tournament without brawl but I hope you get a good turnout man.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
Ok ya do whatever you're most comfortable with. I'll be there.
IM SALTY that i lost to your fox at neumont friendlies, lets go

as long as there's melee at the tournament on the 25th i'm going. either way SuppRT you should finalize the info for the tournament, having it constantly change is really confusing and anti-hype

-Mars-

Smash Hero
How many Melee/P:M regulars post in this thread?

Jekyll
MeatisLife
Tuesday
PC

Who all live in SLC.

Then you've got 5 or so newer players who may or may not show up.

So youre looking at an attendance of around 10 people hopefully if everyone supports and drives an hour.

Good luck. I might come

Tomacawk

Smash Master
damn i've never actually done an iron man but i'd love to do some high stakes cash battle iron mans
how does character selection work? double blind first character then counter picks for the loser after?

also everybody has valid points about this whole tournament nonsense. my 2 cents is that i've been here for almost a year now and been routinely disappointed with how many new players i've seen show up for 1-2 events and then never again. I think there's been 2-3 tournies that whole time that had entrants in the double digits. as time goes on i'm willing to travel less because i'm constantly shown that it's not worth it to travel to play a bunch of people who may or may not ever play again. it's not necessarily that they can't push me to play my hardest, but that they don't ever think it's realistic for them to be that good. which is hilarious because im not that great, if you didn't know. so it's increasingly harder to travel an hour by car and chip in for gas to go to a tournament with 5 players, 2-3 of them within walking distance/transit from my actual apartment, with a small prize pool, and no hungry newer players to provide meaningful competition. instead we have the same 4 players all just festering around each other with no fresh meat to bring anything new

it's hard to stay optimistic but really at this point few people will be on board until you've taken enough initiative to consistently show yourself as active in the community. can't imagine if i was here for 3-4 years of this cycle

there are some new promising players, don't get me wrong, but they don't compare to the large amount of "one hitter quitters" as they say

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Ya it's essentially a crew battle. You have to declare your 5 characters beforehand and first chars are double blind, after that counterpick from your list of 5.
Idc who it's with, but I'll go far for a good game. I'm very serious about improving and getting up to scrap. I've gotten quite a bit better just in the last month.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Anyone down to do a SmashFest in a couple days? Preferably in the SLC- Ogden Area? I need to practice with my Doc Mario and Ganondorf and everyone out here is lazy as hell.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
Anyone down to do a SmashFest in a couple days? Preferably in the SLC- Ogden Area? I need to practice with my Doc Mario and Ganondorf and everyone out here is lazy as hell.
Where are you located,exactly? Ogden? I don't go back to work until Monday, so we could work something out but I might require transportation from the frontrunner station.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
was there going to be a pm tournament, shiro is a co host so id assume there was
but you changed it hmm??? good luck with that tourney anyway though since its going to be so big ur gonna need it
There was at first at the time I was asked. After discussions, we'll bring it for friendlies and that's probably it.

I apologize to everyone for the inconvenience and us being unsure and indecisive. As previously mentioned this is our first tournament so we're still trying to figure out how it's all gonna go down. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I'm ok, just bruised a bit. Wife has been in ICU, trying to be stabilized before anything else. That is all at this point.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Tsu, you're family is in my prayers.

If anyone wants to do a smashfest (any game), I say lets do a new years day one tomorrow. I willing to host something at my apartment if need be too. Any ideas or interest, text me (916) 370-3379

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
My phone isn't currently working, but I'm down for a smashfest tomorrow anywhere from Ogden to SLC. Been practicing a lot of Melee cuz I got a setup for Christmas.

Of course, I'm open for Brawl or P:M as well.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Ok!

Everyone is welcome to come by tomorrow. People can start showing up at 1PM to play any smash game. I have 1 wii that can play any of the 4 smash games and 1 small tv. So maybe another setup would be nice just in case.

Where?

435 N 200 W APT #12
Salt Lake City, UT 84103

Hope to see ya there. Post or text me for questions/remarks.
(916) 370-3379

Jekyll

Smash Ace
Wow, that's a lot closer than I thought. I should be able to come by for some Melee or PM. Doubt I'll be able to bring a setup this time, though.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
To all keeping up with Abbey: She now has a care page set-up, that I will link below. You will need to sign-up, but that will give you up to date information that my mother posts (she is here with me and keeps tabs on all the changes). What can you do to help? Pray, good thoughts, etc. Feel free to ask others to pray as well. I completely believe in praying with specifics, so feel free to pass her name along. I thank you all for what you have done so far, and we're still hoping for the best (she's made a lot of improvements lately).

http://www.carepages.com/carepages/Rairity

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hey, not sure how many out there might be interested (I think most of the guys I've met from Utah are Brawl crowd), but we're having a big video game convention/tournament in the beginning of February. Among the games is Melee. (Along with Capcom fighters, Gundam EXVS, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and more)
http://lvlupexpo.org/tournaments/smash-bros-melee/

The venue is the Cashman Convention Center in North Las Vegas, and besides the game tournaments will feature a ton of various tabletop game, video game, and comic booths and exhibitions.

Also, if pre-registering, you can use the promo code LVMVGBC for $10 off a weekend pass (which essentially means free entry for one game tournament), and be entered into a drawing for a hotel room giveaway.

Please come if you're interested and have the time!

Top Bottom