• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
If my HottGreasedUpJigglyPuff friend shows up, we'll JigglyClimb the competition. He really wants to come, and I don't see why he won't. He's in the limbo state between his last semester of school, and his mission call.

We do really bad in teams in Utah, really good in Las Vegas. Okay in Idaho. Don't know how we'll do in Oregon.

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
There will be a smash Fest at my house on Saturday January 5th . As many people who can come are welcome. PM If you are going to come so I know how many people are coming. The address is 1545 Trevino Road in sandy. It will start at about 2 P.M. and go as late as Midnight just depending on how late people want to stay.

Well, looks like I get half a month of jiggly brawlin. So.... I expect tons of tourney's before Mar. fizzle!

You want to know where I'm going?
I'm not sure if you people can handle this...
So I'll shield your eyes. If you look and your head explodes, I accept no responsibility whatsover.

FA-FA-FA-FRESNO, CALI![size] Boy is my mish gonna be cozy.

In conclusion, this HotGreasedUpJigglypuff 4 luvin' bids you all a good woot.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I'll pry make it up there sage... which means the Mexican Brigade will probably be going too, if that's alright... I never knew if you guys had a falling out over your dead dog or if you never had a dog or what. Quite confusing. PM sent though so you have the email notification and all that fun stuff too. Looks to be fun :).

and Hi slave... you must be on right now too :)

Dai-A

Smash Journeyman
I'll pry make it up there sage... which means the Mexican Brigade will probably be going too, if that's alright... I never knew if you guys had a falling out over your dead dog or if you never had a dog or what. Quite confusing. PM sent though so you have the email notification and all that fun stuff too. Looks to be fun :).

and Hi slave... you must be on right now too :)
yes i beat bobo two years ago with my scrubby falco hahaha i didnt know any advanced techs lol k well if you go then we'll go! what time do you plan on leaving?
FallenS@G3 thanks for coming yesterday it was fun :) and FP i kept beating you till the last matches we did :( you only beat me three times yesterday since 11 in the morning till 10 pm :psycho:

EDIT: SLAVE GETS TO MANY GIRLS!!!!
AND IF ANYBODY WANTS TO PLAY SOME SMASH TODAY
TEXT ME/CALL ME
801 471 8231

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if any of you are still thinking about going to my tournament next weekend but if you are and can drive i know C!Z wanted to go and someone else but i cant remember their name right now. So if anyones thinking about it talk to C!Z. From what i understand HOTT is flying over so it would be a chance to play him again also as well as Yamer for those who remember him.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=131602

Xtinction

Smash Journeyman
woa....FOWARD...... i wish my falco was like his :(

FOWARD! please come!

DAI-A-go put on some flame shorts or something sheesh always posting on every board... :p

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
The address for the smash fest is 1545 East 118000 South Trevino Road hope you can all make it. Remember PM me if you are planning on coming.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
forward, tell EVERYONE to stop playing WoW and Utah will get like half of its old smashers back.

or better yet, come to Utah and smash with some mormon kids.

lengeta

Smash Ace
19th or 26th would be awesome, I'll try and make it. No promises yet again though (and I haven't played since the last tourny I was at... :/ ).

Also, I've had an idea and want to hear some feedback on what you guys think...

I'm a member on another forum, the Snafu forums (www.snafu-comics.com/forum), and am pretty tight-nit with a lot of that community. As such, I'm wanting to run tournaments with some of the peepz over there, but obviously it'd have to be done over the Wii's wi-fi. As such, rather than running an elimination tournament I think I'd be better to run an ever-changing rank list sort of like the power-rankings here. The difference is rather than tournament results deciding your place, your able to challenge members ranked higher than yourself, and must accept challenges from those ranked lower. Failure to accept a challenge is an auto-forfeit.

I think this could bolster Smash Bros playing between members of this forum, and the rank list is could easily be off-balance, meaning you've got to constatly defend your title if you want to stay on top rather than having actual whos-better-than-who type rankings that we have here. You also have to realize the players on this forum, aside from very few, are complete scrubs. Losing isn't horrible as you can regain your rank quickly, and it's also nice for noobs because they'll be able to move up as well. Noobs even have a slight advantage in being the one's able to challenge so making it to the game will obviously be much easier on their end since they basically get to pick the time (which is most excellent for my purposes... you all know scrubs need an upper-hand or they'll stop playing when everyone else is better than they are).

If you've ever tried running/participating in an online tournament (I've done a few Pokemon, UT2k4, Warcraft III, Starcraft, and even GunBound once [ick] ) you've probably learned how big of an issue it is giving people "time" to complete a game like this. The limits to meet a challenge need to be quick and strict so the tournament or list can move along quickly and unhitched. A week is DEFINITELY too long. I personally think a time limit of 24-36 hours is PLENTY, perhaps a limit on challenges you can make too like only two per week. You might be busy the next day, but again you can quickly regain rank, and this is intended more to get people playing rather than having an accurate rank of skill. Parhaps the challenger can pick two or three one/two hour times, and the challengee can pick which of those will work best for him.

This is also run on a forum... which is yet another problem entirely. Perhaps the Wikipedia code (can be run on other websites) so everyone can go edit parts for their matches, and obviously mods go oversee everything? Perhaps an entire program could be coded and use PMs and whatnot, but that seems like a pain.

Do you guys have any comments or suggestions on doing something like this?

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
January 19th works well for me too. and Layne that does seem like a good idea.... I would much rather play a lot than be high ranked. Also, your plan reminds me a bit of a ladder ranking system that is based on skill (wins in a row vs. losses) but also activity (winning 3 and losing two in one day = +20 say, while winning 5 in a row over 3 days is only +13). So... good idea. And I hope you can make it to the 19th's tournament!!

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
The idea is decent and all, but there are flaws. Smash is a game that requires to-the-frame precision. So basing rankings on online battles alone (with the lag and whatnot), isn't recommended. I would just use Wi-Fi as a place to practice, and maybe use it as a weak source to base skill in Power Rankings discussions.
Also, there are a lot of people who are in a Rock/Paper/Scissors situation, where one will almost always wins against the other, in a cycle, because of their mains. With that in mind, there will likely be one or two clusters of ranks that constantly shift around because of this.
And, there is always the possibility of complaints about the ranking system that isn't made my the players, but is made by a third party, that may or may not know much about Smash.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
LOL I can't believe you went that far for a joke (although it was quite funny). But in actuality, Xsyven is probably the closest to Arizona than any of us. He's like 5 minutes driving time away from AZ. :p

Top Bottom