• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
wow... i feel loved. no text on this event.
From what I heard, a ton of us who attended tried to text you over, myself included.

Your phone just sucks.

deal with it.

like i did.

Y DIDN'T I GET A TEXT
I would of, but I got no number...

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It was amazah, sorry I was a little late (like, 30-45 mins or something), I have my ride last night was over 6 hours late johns.

ANYWAY, tournament was a success, good amount of entrants too, had 18 people enter singles, thats more than we've had in a while lol.

And sorry Red dog/Sinz, I dont have either of your numbers, if you give em to me ill be sure to let you know for future events as soon as I can.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I bailed from the tourney after singles. It was too hot and I didnt wanna wait through Melee stuff to play Mario Kart. :p

Fun tourney though, Im gonna get back into the game though and come to more tourneys. ;D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Spudz and I wit dat 7th place, good sheeeee

And thanks for coming Spudz, next time maybe I wont be too busy so we can friendly and stuff lol

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Z'z wit dat comeback ftw in doubles going 2v1 with a low tier while down 3 stocks.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sorry DS4, but I dont give a ****. And he lost to Gkirbs scrubby Falcon who I almost 3 stocked saturday

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Tbh, i dont really care what Chris does. If he wants to drop everything he's accomplished and all the fans and love he has just to pick up yoshi so he can get better than me, sure, let him do it, I wont stop him. If he ever were to ask me for advice on how to be a better yoshi (which knowing him I doubt it would ever happen) then I'd help him out, no doubt. I never once have said anything about who's the best yoshi in Utah or anything, so if that's all he's doing this for, he's really not effecting me at all, I dont care if im not best. What he doesnt realize is that I DONT CARE WHO'S BETTER, I use Yoshi because I love yoshi, so if someones better, it doesnt bother me as I'll still love yoshi.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
you should already know what i think about what you said but...
IDC!!!!!!

im so mad right now :mad: that you outplaced me
i need to cut deeper and go cry
go take some pics of myself to see my own anger
tape my hand, put my hair in my face, black my eyes
its what im good at
ya im a whiner i don't care and i don't know why

:troll:
or am I?????????????

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116

oh really
mexi haven i took 5th
what did you place hmmm????
pretty sure mexi haven was the last tourney
not "4 tournies ago"

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
K fine, you got me there, placed above me at Mexi Haven, i got 7th, but other than that...

XDDD

Smash Rookie
DS4 usually ends up getting bracket *****...
But I didn't think Lanky could beat him O.o!
Oh and tbh I kinda thought Zz should have gone D3 vs Lanky and should practice D3 more :>

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
XDDD, I solo Yoshi. My D3 is alright, but I dont use my other characters in bracket.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Eeeeeeeeyup, but at least it helps me improve more with that character. I just have a personal problem with the Snake MU, I miss space like mad against his tilts. So with that said, its not so much the character so much as I need to work on the MU.

It's not called bracket **** if everyone left in the bracket can beat you.

EDIT: I mean, DS4 and I imo are really close to even in skill (watch any of our sets, they almost all go to the last game) and we place the same or within one spot every time. With that said, I fight generally the same people as him as well and I dont feel like Im getting bracket *****. Once you get to a certain point, everyone left is just at a level where I think we both hit a bit of a roadblock because we're just not on that level yet.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
I think I have gotten 7th the last 5 tourneys I have went to. >_>

Also Zz can you enlighten me on how competitive Matio Kart works?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sure, and since the MKW tournament had 8 entrants which is a perfect amount to demonstrate with, I'll use it as an example:

[COLLAPSE=It's Effing Long Haha]You set the game up like this:
- Go to Multiplayer and select the correct amount of players needed for the round.
- Register all of the player's controllers.
- Go to VS.
- In the top right, go to Rules.
- In the Rules menu, set the rules to the following:
--- Class: 150cc
--- CPU: None
--- CPU Vehicles: All
--- Courses: Random
--- Items: Strategic
--- Race Count: Races: 5 (We used to have it at 4, but decided to change to 5 so that's how it'll be from now on)
- Once you have the rules set, click on OK at the bottom of the Rules menu.
- Go to Solo Race
- Have all the players select their characters. Miis are allowed and Dittos are as well via the Use Same Character Glitch.
- All the players select their vehicles.
- The Players choose either Automatic or Manual.
- Select OK to start the match.

Now, the game will give you 5 stages at random. After each race, you get points and as you go, the game will add up the points you earn from each race. Once the races are over, it will bring you to a screen that displays all of the players with their points in order. There are 3-4 people a game (aside from Grand Finals where you will eventually end up with just 2) and top 2 always move on in bracket. So with that said, here's the bracket:

As you can see, the 4 matches at the beginning were:
Z'zgashi vs. Colus
Staz vs. X
Final vs. DS4
Cherry vs. Lada

Now, as it is 3-4 players per match, we change it to where the two adjacent sets are combined, making the now 2 matches:
Z'zgashi vs. Colus vs. Staz vs. X
Final vs. DS4 vs. Cherry vs. Lada

The two top scores from each match go on in bracket and the losers fall into the losers bracket. So, lets take the first set for example. Here is the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6GQvq2Uvc&feature=channel_video_title. As you can see, Z'zgashi and Staz had the most points in the end and advanced from the first match while X and Colus had less and fell into losers bracket. If there happened to be a tie, the people who tied would play a 1 race decision to break the tie. These same rules applied throughout the whole tournament up until finals where it gets a little different.

To decide finals, you play through the bracket until you have 2 people left on each side; two people at the top of winners bracket, and two at the end of losers, so like this:

Once you get to this point, those 4 people are in Grand Finals: Z'zgashi, Final, Cherry, and Staz. But here's the difference, the two people in the winners bracket, Z'zgashi and Final, haven't lost yet a match yet, so they basically have 1 extra chance in Grand Finals. While top 2 still only move on, if one of the people who are still in winners lose, they fall to Loser's and are still in, so basically, they need to lose twice. You play on until enough people are eliminated from the Finals that you only have two left, and then you play on with the same rules as before, except only the person who takes first moves on while the second is eliminated or, in the case of someone in winners bracket taking last, loses a life/gets sent to losers. After that, the winner is decided.

So, this is how this tournament's grand finals played out:

Game 1 Result: 1st Final, 2nd Cherry, 3rd Z'zgashi, 4th Staz
Now, as top 2 normally move on and bottom 2 are eliminated, Final and Cherry would be fine while Z'zgashi and Staz lose out, one thing though, Z'zgashi was still in winners, so he's still in and instead just falls to losers. So after that match, here's the bracket:

Game 2 Result: 1st Final, 2nd Z'zgashi, 3rd Cherry
Top 2 would be fine after this and stay in, while bottom 2, or just one in this situation are eliminated, kick Cherry out of the bracket. So, now that Cherry is out, that leaves the bracket like this:

Game 3 Result: 1st Z'zgashi, 2nd Final
Now since there are only two players left, only first goes on while second loses. As you can see, Final had never lost a match and therefore is just sent to losers or loses a life and is still in making the bracket looking like this:

Game 4 Result: 1st Final, 2nd Z'zgashi
At this point, both players were on their final life meaning it was winner take all, and Final won finally ending bracket. So in the end, the bracket looked like this:

Hope that helped!! ^__^[/COLLAPSE]

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
But I didn't think Lanky could beat him O.o!
Oh and tbh I kinda thought Zz should have gone D3 vs Lanky and should practice D3 more :>
Despite all appearances, I actually used to be pretty good before I took a hiatus to focus on school.

But I'll take that as a compliment.

Also, we need to do friendlies or smash together.

Eeeeeeeeyup, but at least it helps me improve more with that character. I just have a personal problem with the Snake MU, I miss space like mad against his tilts. So with that said, its not so much the character so much as I need to work on the MU.
Practice with me more often. I'm available after 4 everyday until around 8 when I have to get ready for bed.

EDIT: I mean, DS4 and I imo are really close to even in skill (watch any of our sets, they almost all go to the last game) and we place the same or within one spot every time. With that said, I fight generally the same people as him as well and I dont feel like Im getting bracket *****. Once you get to a certain point, everyone left is just at a level where I think we both hit a bit of a roadblock because we're just not on that level yet.
Out of all the smashers, I believe you and DS4 improved the most since I was away. DS4 could actually beat me until I started getting back into my good habits and practicing again.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ill keep that in mind lanky, I def wont be able to this week unless its thursday though.

And guys, I have a really big decision to make here and I want your guys' opinions on it. I mostly wanna hear back from Yaz/XDDD as it will affect them the most.

So, a lot of people are starting to get back into a huge Ban Meta Knight thing again and even a few TOs are already starting to ban him in tournament. Most of the anti-ban people are turning towards pro-ban and about half of the reasons people think he shouldnt be banned are now kind of invalid. From the looks of it, there is a very good chance of MK being gone for good this time, a VERY good chance. There is also all of this data here which people are using, showing that MK is downright dominating so hard that he has no real competition:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2139/unled1mtm.png
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3614/image1on.png
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6723/image2fi.png

Another big reason is something that just happened recently. Someone decided to run a Meta Knight banned tournament, and someone won the whole thing with Ganon, beating out multiple top/high level players along the way. Here's the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305979

Due to this, a ton of people really want to see MK gone due to the increase of character diversity and so that tournaments wont be 'who can beat MK' more than just who's the better player. They want to see other characters' meta games evolve and, as those results show what happened after just one tournament, people want to see what will happen in the long run without a character sitting all dominant at the top.

So guys, thoughts on this?

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a bunch for the Mario Kart info. :)

I happened to notice that Yoshi got third in that tourney. I bet you cried a few tears of joy. I think that Metaknight needs to go, I have always thought he was a bit too much for a game like this. And after viewing that data its pretty much fact he is too much. :X

XDDD

Smash Rookie
Lol. I saw that on AiB earlier today after Carls got back from tourney and put up results. What really shocked me is that he placed higher than AlphaZealot who I thought was a top level Diddy.
And if you wanna ban MK from Utah... you have to consider who plays MK. Sure right now it looks like a good resort since X won the tourney using MK in GF instead of Sonic.
But I have to say, I resort to MK only for really gay matchups like vs Marz's Sheik I can't use Wolf or I get 25-Deathed before I can get enough damage on him. Marz also changed to MK cuz he was afraid of getting CP'd to a gay stage. TBH, MK isn't really the problem... its the stage list; mainly places like Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar (Frigate in doubles but dubz is different), and why the hell is PS2 even there LOL but you can't change that since you adopted unity which is good for Utah? i guess lol.
And Yaz actually plays smart with MK and has the skill to back the character up unlike me and Marz who resort to him for CPs/ MUs. Don't get me wrong tho, we know how to use him. I've been training him a lot recently tho ;)

BUT OVERALL: I have to say, MK isn't that much better than the other characters and Yaz's MK has skill along with the character which makes it ok I guess. Like how I don't think ppl expected X to win vs. Lada. Just give us a bit of time to learn the MU [Those that are competitive] and it would make it harder for MK which it already is hard since the people that resort to MK are fighting other MKs. Don't ban him.

tl;dr Don't ban MK, he isn't that broken; just learn to punish him.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
K, thanks for the opinions guys, and just fyi XDDD, Yaz does have a beast pocket Wario that I see him use in doubles and stuff, just so you know ;)

I'll post my opinions in a bit.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I think it all depends on the scenario.

Just like XDDD said, the stage list is bull for this game. I question some of the NEUTRALS we had set at this last tourney, let alone the counter picks. Sometimes the choice is obvious. But then again, that's what banning and striking these stages are for, right?

And in the end, it's all down to do they use Meta Knight because they are skilled with them, or do they use them because they want to win.

From what I've seen so far, it looks like the latter is shown more than the former, which really sucks. Unless these players are actually dropping their mains in favor of Meta Knight, then the ban seems pointless. But I don't think that's the case.

As far as I stand, with how banning stages go and how the players are taking Meta Knight, I would say I stand 75:25 for the ban of Meta Knight.

But I say we do this. The next big tourney (and I mean, big, like all the top players from our state are there) we have, we try out the Meta Knight ban. Test it out before we take a vote.

XDDD

Smash Rookie
Yea I kno -> I've seen it before
Its cute how Yaz, Staz, and Mars all have a pocket Wario
And like half of the smash scene can use Falco

7 POSTS

Top Bottom