• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

lengeta

Smash Ace
EVO was awesome, one of the best event's I've ever attended. I have a couple pictures and video, but they probably won't see the face of the internet, at least not here. Ken ended up taking the tournament, with Hugs in a close second. It was an intense match-up for finals. I also found myself cheering for the first time ever for a Marth since wobbling wasn't banned. No dis to Chu or anything, you've got to play to win or there's no point in playing a tournament, but I still hate wobbling.

I also have the urge to pick up Street Fighter III: Third Strike now, but I won't act on that impulse.

It was definitely awesome to go out with a bang, but I'm done with this Smash community as of this moment. A lot of you are beyond awesome, and are the kind of people I'd enjoy hanging out with on a regular basis; namely Bobo, Junpei, and Phil, but there are definitely some other honorable mentions. Good luck on your future endeavors in Smashdom. Utah's already become a blip on the radar, and it's still growing and skill improving. Sorry to everyone I said I'd give a ride to on the 15th.

Zack, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to give you a ride from Nate's to your place today, especially after I said I would. But after bending to your every whim in Vegas, arriving precisely at each and every destination while being constantly questioned, driving STRAIGHT to the infamously sought after In-N-Out only to be turned around by un-ending nagging only to have to re-trace my steps back to where I was originally going in the first place, having to wait at every turn and corner for your necessarily slow speed, waking up Devin past the middle of the night to recover yet another one of your forgotten items, listening to your constant whining, not letting me know your father had no clue you were heading to Vegas until we arrived while I'm playing the part of the responsible adult, AND PAYING FOR YOUR ENTIRE TRANSPORTATION AND BOARD FOR THE ENTIRE TRIP WHEN YOU HAD ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTIONS OF PAYING YOUR SHARE IN THE SLIGHTEST, I came to the straight-forward conclusion that four more hours of driving and $20 more in gas at my expense and on your behalf simply because your too dunce to figure out a bus-route re-numbering was more than I was willing to offer. I'm not an ***hole that's going to screw you over like you've screwed me, so I'll still have your TV and controller back to you sometime this weekend, along with Nate's measly $9 for his portion of room and gas; you guys seem like you clearly need it more than I do.

My apologies to anyone other than Zackwho forced themselves to read that entire ranting paragraph...

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Hahahahaha. Isnt it fun taking a road trip with Gojira? :laugh:

Layne, you will be missed.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
So... with the mass of Orem/Provo people now... anyone wanna get together this Saturday and smash? XD

I'm free all day, and I'd like to play a few people before the tournament that's aside from my one friend who is decently good. If you want my number, PM me for it ^^

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
@ lengeta: Why are you quitting!? Don't tell me it's because of what happened on the trip (i.e. Gojira's nagging, etc.). Does that mean you'll just be coming to Anime Banzai to run the stand, and NOT play in the Smash tourny?

@ Tsuteto: Instead of planning a smashfest this weekend with the other Orem players, you should plan a carpool to Anime Banzai (see post #1603 in this thread for further details, if you haven't already).

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I'm somewhat interested, but the fact of the crap part also puts me away, that and I don't have a ride up there (unless I hitch one with someone already going up). But part of the reason of having a smash fest down here would just be that it's free, and not much travel distance ^^

I'm also interested in the DDR tourney, but, again, the ride fact *sigh* I'll see what happens though, I guess ^^

laozy

Smash Journeyman
awwwww its really sad to see you leave layne. but best wishes to your future and hope to see u back at brawl.
o and tell me when your emulator/arcade game is working so i could go over and steal it.:laugh:

Zamoz

Smash Cadet
Gogo drama. Thought I had seen my last of that when I quit WoW. Heyooooooo.

Edit: Is anime banzai this coming weekend? And is it REALLY worth going? I'm still pretty skeptical.

Edit2: So I was just browsing the Anime Banzai site and am more skeptical than ever. The people that talk about smash at all on their forums sound like morons. The only details I found on ANY of the tournaments was that you *can not* bring your own equipment, meaning battered to **** controllers are likely. And they haven't posted ANY details on the rules of the tournament rounds themselves (which they had managed to do even last year). You honestly still want to go to that? Oh and one person on their forums even mentioned that "most fighting games pose a problem because you need to be able to know the moves in order to have a chance. Granted, most people entering the tourney already know the moves...
" which I about killed several babies over because it was so stupid. (That's a direct quote btw)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Perfect Chaos, Utah's number one, will be going to defend his title of two years and most likely won't lose unless his controller is completely dysfunctional so there will be some competition there.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Layne, it was good to play with you for your last Utah 'tournament'. :p

By the way, Gojira, you left your Zune charger at Devin's.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Zack, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to give you a ride from Nate's to your place today, especially after I said I would. But after bending to your every whim in Vegas, arriving precisely at each and every destination while being constantly questioned, driving STRAIGHT to the infamously sought after In-N-Out only to be turned around by un-ending nagging only to have to re-trace my steps back to where I was originally going in the first place, having to wait at every turn and corner for your necessarily slow speed, waking up Devin past the middle of the night to recover yet another one of your forgotten items, listening to your constant whining, not letting me know your father had no clue you were heading to Vegas until we arrived while I'm playing the part of the responsible adult, AND PAYING FOR YOUR ENTIRE TRANSPORTATION AND BOARD FOR THE ENTIRE TRIP WHEN YOU HAD ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTIONS OF PAYING YOUR SHARE IN THE SLIGHTEST, I came to the straight-forward conclusion that four more hours of driving and $20 more in gas at my expense and on your behalf simply because your too dunce to figure out a bus-route re-numbering was more than I was willing to offer. I'm not an ***hole that's going to screw you over like you've screwed me, so I'll still have your TV and controller back to you sometime this weekend, along with Nate's measly $9 for his portion of room and gas; you guys seem like you clearly need it more than I do.

My apologies to anyone other than Zackwho forced themselves to read that entire ranting paragraph...
Im sorry I seemed like such a chore, but you are opveracting on a few things. I didnt whine as much as you claim I did. The in and out journey was not entirley my fault....we spent much mroe time looking for in and out when if we would have just took the exit and turned around it would have been more like 10 minutes rather then another 40. I do take responsibility for me bugging devin in the middle of the night and for that i am sorry devin.

am also sorry i did not tell you my dad did not ven know i was going to las vegas. I did however tell him I would not be back until sunday morning so you should have not been that worried about it.

About the bus schedule, they changed it one day before sunday so it was something COMPLETLEY new to me that there was no way in hell I could have saw it coming. What i am I supposed to do about something that I have no control over? So i do not apreciate you calling me stupid.

For everything else layne, I am accounted for im am really sorry. I will have you 31 dollars as soon as I can. Keep the 9 dollars. I am really sorry I made that trip absolutley horrible for you for whatever reasons I made it horrible.

Finally, I am sorry I made you quit, you can say it is not my fault but i really know it is. I am sorry you got screwed over so bad by me going as it seems i shouldnt have gone at all. I am really sorry again and I dont think you care how many times i say sorry but at least you know im sorry. You are one of the coolest smashers IN this smash scene and i dont want to see you leave because of me. As a friend i am really sorry layne.

Also i wont be here this weekend

Zamoz

Smash Cadet
Ah drama, good stuff.

But anyway. I still am very skeptical about the rules of the banzai smash tournament. Good players present or no, if it's being run by Game Crazy (think it was last year too) they'll bring display controllers I'd bet which will suck. And I seem to recall last year they were considering not allowing any unlocked characters/stages which was a main reason I didn't go. Whether or not they *do* allow them, the fact they were considering it shows they have no clue what they're doing. I especially don't want to blow $20 getting into the **** thing if the rules are going to be ********.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
From that game crazy you can expect 3 or 4-way free for all (random which one you get, as the guy has no clue what the word bracket means), items, typically banned stages / random stages (as in you might get a stage like big blue or depths, not as in neutral stages) / FD only, single elimination, no friendlies ever, crappy controllers, no unlockable characters, being seeded to be against your friends first round, and the prizes sucking.

Fair warning.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I think I should go, just so I can ***** about everything that they're messing up, so they might get a clue ^^

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I should go. I play Peach, who is unlocked from get-go, able to survive to incredibly high percents with good DI, can recover well, camp well, has the dsmash (which eats scrubs alive), and I'm **** good with items. In conjunction, I'm ****ing tight.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Meh, my Peach is pretty good overall, but could be better. I don't really know all the base characters, so I can't say who I can and can't use XD

Junpappy

Smash Lord
If you spam down smash and win because of it, they might ban you for using it. :laugh:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Heheh, your post count is 573 XD

Sorry, DDR moment there...

I think I should do that, just to show them that "you need to actually play, not run at me".

Zamoz

Smash Cadet
See, but the entrance fee (for *just* Saturday) is 20 bones. You honestly want to pay that just to see them royally bone you with ****ed up rules (Meaning make you play with ****ed up rules, I don't mean you wouldn't win)? Wouldn't it make more sense to just...go to a friend's house for free and wager 10 dollars against each other in a single match? You'd save yourself 10 bucks. :p

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
FoxTheStampede said:
From that game crazy you can expect 3 or 4-way free for all (random which one you get, as the guy has no clue what the word bracket means), items, typically banned stages / random stages (as in you might get a stage like big blue or depths, not as in neutral stages) / FD only, single elimination, no friendlies ever, crappy controllers, no unlockable characters, being seeded to be against your friends first round, and the prizes sucking.
BTW FTS is just stating the worse possible, as he hates Game Crazy with every fiber in his body, since he got eliminated early every time. 3/4-ways - probably; items - questionable (two years ago had it, but they changed it and last year didn't have it); stages - questionable (two years ago was all on Temple, but they changed it and last year had only FD, which isn't bad...just more Japanese style); single elimination - for sure; no friendlies - not true (come early and play friendlies, or sneak some in during the tourny, like what C!Z and I did last year); controllers - varied (like I said, some are pretty much brade new, some are really crappy; be smart and just get there first and grab the best one); unlockable characters - most likely (first year, had no unlockables, but second year did); seeding - just be smart and register separately with your friend(s) (Rafa and I did both years); prizes - bleh (but it's about the experience, and they give an actual item for winning, so I'm going for my third and putting it with the other two). If you would have read post #1603 in this thread, then I wouldn't have to repeat stuff like controller info and such.
And you don't have to come JUST for Smash; you can do other stuff too, and it won't cost you anything extra.

But whatever...I'm tired of trying to get people to go and get an experience. What started me out in competitive Smashing was Anime Banzai (same for SADA a.k.a. Sophia Lockheart a year later). After this post, I'm not going to try to convince anyone, anymore; come if you want the experience.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
@Zamoz: You don't know how much I enjoy being a ******* against people. I mean, yeesh, if you know what GunZ is, I moderated at the #1 fansite and was a complete *******, yet nobody would go against what final word I would say.

@PC: Again, the ride is the main thing ^^ And the other thing I want to look at is the "How to get into Voice Acting," but I'm not sure if the tourney will conflict or not.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Make sure you guys do a ton of recruiting while you're at the con. Keep in mind people like to lie about being really interested in whatever you tell them (or they forget, same result either way). Getting their Contact Info is the way to go, or you won't see the person again.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
LOL but asking random guys for their phone numbers is really more of a Gojira thing. :laugh:

Zamoz

Smash Cadet
@Perfect Chaos: haha, you honestly expect me to read though over 100 pages worth of posts? Sorry I missed wherever yours was but I only recently started posting here so...yeah.

Anyway, I like anime and am studying Japanese in school...but the people that are THAT into it just creep me out. I may go with some friends but the chances of me convincing them (or myself) that *any* of it is worth 20 bucks is low. Experience or not I can wait for the 15th for an official "tournament" and I can just smash with my friend or practice stuff single player if I really want more experience.

Baka^ni

Smash Cadet
Well I'm going to anime banzai because my friends are and it was there that I discovered the smash scene. The rules really suck and I get eliminated in the first round, but its awesome to see PC wipe the floor with everyone while people in the crowd are uhing and ahing at all the gaming skill.

Its a event to see even if you lose. Plus its one of the few anime cons that actually host a smash tournament.
Also Game Crazy should never ever host another gaming tournament ever again for as long as it is still in business.

I'm actually going to make it this time to the tournament on the 15th. i can't wait to play all of the new people to the smash scene. Is it at FTS house agian?

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
FtS's house, probably. :)

@Zamoz, since you're new I doubt you realize this, but you can view individual posts and they are numbered sequentially, so finding #1603 would take all of 30 seconds :p. Reading through all 100 pages would be fine of course.. you can read all the funnies/what not ;).

But now what I was thinking of posting. I'm going through withdrawals guys!! I mean, think about it. Drive down to saint george = 3/4 hours of smash. Mini-tournament = at least 3 more (friendlies, what not) drive to las vegas = about 3 more again, signing up (break :D) pools (an hour or so I guess) friendlies for a few more hours... watching the tournament the next day, then driving back (6 hours) And so, all of that, to 0 hours at home :(. *tweak* *tweak*

Layne, nooooooooooooo....
:( :(. Even if we can't play smash, we'll have to do something man... like bowling or something. I'm not that big of a fan of bowling but it's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head :lol:.

Zamoz

Smash Cadet
Ah, yeah I didn't know that, but the fact still remains that...how would I have known to look specifically at post 1603 until he told me? That'll be handy for me to know in the future though so thanks.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
More people should post updated status on whether they (+ friends) will make it to the tourney in the tournament thread if you havent posted about it already.

C!Z

Smash Lord
LOL WOW.... I can't believe you guys Joo'd Layne over like that. Sorry Layne that sucks man I'd be pissed too, how are you gonna go and screw the guy who's providing the transportation... Sucks we lost a smasher because of doucheness(haha I like that word) well have a good one Layne and I look forward to playin Battleshlts with you again sometime haha even though you whooped my a5s! So I'd like to get a lot more playin in so if people wanna play let me know, as I've said before I'm up for Orem smashfests also.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
With the rapidly increasing number of orem smashers, the only problem left is, where to host such an event..? I would offer my house but I doubt my brothers would like that much and it would be a little crowded.. not too bad but still. Anyone have a huge house ^_^?

Casture

Smash Apprentice
I'm in for a Smashfest, though I don't really have a location because I'm in an apartment with 5 other roommates. If we find a place, though, I can bring a cube with smash.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I've got three cubes and three smashes, so I think we'll be good.... all of us could play 1 on 1 at the same time basically with just my stuff, haha. I suppose I'll ask my brothers and see what they think, heh, because after all we do have a projector in the basement and could easily set up two TV's in the front room. Doubtful, but it cant hurt to ask..

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
My house would be big enough for smashing, just... well, have to clear such a thing with parents ^^

Gojira

Smash Lord
LOL WOW.... I can't believe you guys Joo'd Layne over like that. Sorry Layne that sucks man I'd be pissed too, how are you gonna go and screw the guy who's providing the transportation... Sucks we lost a smasher because of doucheness(haha I like that word)
I thought i would let you know you are an ***. Calling me a douch because layne quitting is so ****ing uncalled for. We never "joo'd" layne over. Nate expected me to have more cash then i did so we ran out much faster then expected. I am one of the nicest guys in the smash scene and even though layne is superpissed at me right now, he knows i will pay him back. I aopolgized to layne as much as i could. I look at layne more as a friend rather then a smasher and you dont think i feel bad this all happened to him? Seriously C!Z grow up.

Zamoz

Smash Cadet
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

So amused right now. And I don't even know any of you guys. :D

It's like my high school days all over again!

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Being nice has nothing to do with it. Do you know why I was being such an ***hole to you on the trip to OC3? I was doing so because I didn't want to end up how Layne ended up, and I knew you would keep *****ing and whining until you got your way. :laugh:

Seriously just let it go. Layne's reasons are his own; don't look into it.

Top Bottom