• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Oo! Layne does!! And I plan on it soon... only problem is I'll need to get a wireless router... or a new modem.. or something....
(oh and I do know how much those cost. I sell the darn things here at work!)

Nice number btw. I wonder how many l337s there are.... 100, you think? or perhaps they only have even numbered ones, diminishing the L33ts down to 50... an elite crowd, after all ;).

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Oh, BTW, the Anime Banzai convention has a SSBM tournament again. Game Crazy is hosting it again, so those that came the previous year(s), you may groan now.....
For those of you that don't know what Anime Banzai is, it is an annual anime convention that takes place in Utah in the fall every year since 2005. You pay at "the door" (too late to pre-register for a discount, and you actually pay inside), and every event within the building is free.
Entry for Saturday is $20, and that's quite a lot if you just plan to go just for Smash, so I suggest doing other things, too.

Smash will begin registration at 2:00 PM on Saturday, September 1, 2007. The tournament will being at 3:00 PM.

The location is at:
Sheraton City Centre
150 West 500 South
Salt Lake City, Utah

The rules are generally "crappy" as it gives much more luck factor than the tournament rules that we have. But 2005's tourny had 80 people, and 2006's tourny had about twice that, so it's a good place to play different people and a good place to start out with competitive Smash (since not everyone will be really good, unlike at our tournies, so you can learn from people your skill level, as well as higher leveled ones). Also, DON'T bring your own controller (they have the opposite viewpoint as our way of doing this), as they won't let you use it. You've have to use theirs, and theirs range from almost brand new, to crappy third-party ones.

You all know I'm going, as I need to keep my winning streak at Anime Banzai and show Game Crazy how Smash should be played (stupid banning of Link's Up-B...). My third first-place finish, here I come!

I would come to this tourny to have fun. And if you're new to competitive Smash (i.e. bluepeach & slave1), I would strongly suggest going to this, as this will be the the closest (timewise) tournament until Utah's next one (excluding EVO World). I'll be there for sure, and I'll be glad to help you out.

For complete info on other events (I've pretty much stated everything you need to know for Smash), go to http://www.animebanzai.com/

Also note that pre-registering is poinless if you only plan to go Saturday, so it's not a big loss.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
The two worst tournaments I have ever been to in my life were the two previous Anime Banzai tournaments (for smash or anything). The other worst tournaments I've ever been to were hosted by the same Game Crazy. The game crazy staff hosting it is a complete ****.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I don't go to these ones for the tournament (there's no money prize so the tournament isn't what's important). I go for the chance to play a lot of people that I usually don't get to play (and maybe even find some "hidden talent"), and to defend my "title" or winning streak or whatever. Other regular tournament attendees should also think the same way and go for the variety of opponents, and not the tournament. The tournament is just there so there's a purpose for everyone to show up.

lengeta

Smash Ace
I'm running the Snafu booth in the dealer's room at Anime Banzai, so I'll be there for the tourny for sure.

Buzz, my Strikers code is: 382359 603976. I'll add you right now...
I'm not playing that often, but occasionally. They need a better ranking system, IMO.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Xsyven, I'm drivin completely seperate and I do have to work til bout 1 or 2 that day so I probably won't be leavin til a little bit after that. If Layne plans on bein there much earlier than that I guess I won't be stoppin at St. George.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Stranga said:
Team double duo is going to anime banzai again and this time we won't fight each other in the fist round.
If you register at the same time there then you will face each other first round 50% (if you are in a group of 3+, 100% of at least one), and it's single elim.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Xsyven, I'm drivin completely seperate and I do have to work til bout 1 or 2 that day so I probably won't be leavin til a little bit after that. If Layne plans on bein there much earlier than that I guess I won't be stoppin at St. George.
Well, by the looks of it so far, it seems like there are 5 Northerners coming, and only 2 Southerners.

7 isn't even enough for a tournament-- but we'll definately have a smashfest of the ages. (Good practice for my newer characters.) But I'm pretty sure we're housing Layne's car, so we'll be there all night.

Totally different note: Devin and I are planning on the September tournament. Right now, the status is at 50%. Depending on how busy we are with school/work, the % meter will go up or down. So yeah.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Totally different note: Devin and I are planning on the September tournament. Right now, the status is at 50%. Depending on how busy we are with school/work, the % meter will go up or down. So yeah.
Why don't you just do a little wobble and get the % to like 200? :laugh:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
ROFL You're a comic genius!!
And saying it's at 50% with the possibility of going up or down doesn't really help much. It's like saying, "we will have a September tourny, specific date not sure of, but it's on a Saturday." Well, maybe that's a bad example, but they both are pretty much pointless statements.
And I know of these "newer characters" but I'm not going to say anything obvious. What I will say, is that he now wants me to come down there for EVO World so I can help him with one of those characters. But maybe that IS obvious...maybe not...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
So what, I'm learnin' Sheik. She'll probably end up like all my other high tier characters. (Mediocre.)

Also, I meant Devin and I have a 50% chance of going to the SLC tournament.

Razn, I only wobble when everyone that's higher than me on the power rankings decides to suck all at the same time, during a life or death match against Colorado, thus making me the hero AND the zero!

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I know, I'm just saying that stating that it's 50% with the possibility of going either up or down doesn't tell much. It's the fancy way of saying "maybe".

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
50% is "maybe".

It's better than the 25% "I'll think about it."

And definitely better than our usual 0% "No."

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Our usual is closer to "Yeah, probably. I'm sooo excited about it" (~80% ? ), then "lol nvm, some excuse came up" Apparently this is normal, despite the number of people who manage to show up to 99% of tourneys.

EDIT:
Date for September tourney (SoP 6) is 15th. Any problems? Let me know immediately because it's basically too late already. I gave enough time.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Sheik + Ice Climbers = the two gayest chain throws in the game..... what the hell are you doing man?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Sheik + Ice Climbers = the two gayest chain throws in the game..... what the hell are you doing man?
How you doin'? ;)

But really, it's for the Marths. I've lost to a Marth in my past 3 tournaments. So she'll be my new counter.

Date for September tourney (SoP 6) is 15th. Any problems? Let me know immediately because it's basically too late already. I gave enough time.
We're at the mercy of homework

We're going to have it be a one-day SLC thing, maybe two. So yeah. If nothing's planned, and we're up for travelling, then sure.

If we're ***** with homework, then no.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
So what, I'm learnin' Sheik. She'll probably end up like all my other high tier characters. (Mediocre.)

Also, I meant Devin and I have a 50% chance of going to the SLC tournament.

Razn, I only wobble when everyone that's higher than me on the power rankings decides to suck all at the same time, during a life or death match against Colorado, thus making me the hero AND the zero!
lulz

Also, I used to Main ICs/Sheik, it worked for a while but then everyone counters Sheik =(

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
lulz

Also, I used to Main ICs/Sheik, it worked for a while but then everyone counters Sheik =(
Well I main doc and I get ***** by sheik. Thanks a lot for the seeding guys... put me up against PC, someone with a by, and then C!Z! Sheik is by far my worst match up....

So... how doth one counter Ninja Zelda??

And.. Xsyven.. doesn't playing sheik just make you feel.... dirty..?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
So... how doth one counter Ninja Zelda??

And.. Xsyven.. doesn't playing sheik just make you feel.... dirty..?
Ice Climbers "counter" Sheik... but that's just BS spawned by Phanna's chart.

And yeah, I refused to play as her for a while... you just have to ease into it.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Sheik can only be countered by a combination of skill and space animals....or godliness and any any other character.

lengeta

Smash Ace
15th is good, I'll ask it off so I can be there for sure.

I've been playing a lot of different characters suddenly too... I think I should pick up Marth and Sheik, and tone up my Fox, plus Young Link and Roy are just fun (Roy sucks too much though), and even Doc's kinda fun. I think I'll be sticking straight with Falco for the rest of Melee's life span though...

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Roy is sooo fun when you can do a 3 hit tap combo (i.e. aerials >.<) to forward smash right in the center of that there broad sword... it's not that hard on Marth actually, and is quite fun to do because they're thinking "I'm marth, I can do anything!" *tap tap tap* RAWWWW!! dead. :D Also, I was rather surprised how good your doc was Layne... :).

So I'm just watching all the SSBM vids from evo east (2007) (http://zachd.com/mvc2/evo.html) in preparation for teh awesomeness... two more days guys, two more days!!

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I'm actually planning fully on the 15th, seeing as I've got LOTS of head time notice now ^^

Just... anyone wanna give me a ride? XD I'm kinda out of a car now....

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Why don't you see if you can join the Orem caravan? It consists of Layne and anyone else from around that area that wants to go.

Hey bobo, want to do a best of seven best Roy in Utah set? :laugh:

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Well, I *did* own you [RA] last time we did that in friendlies ^.^. But I haven't played him for like a month now so you'll pry beat me, but meh, "best roy" isn't that glamorous of a title anyway, sadly.... so, lol, sure RA, we'll have a best of 7 ;).
And I hope you can make it Tsuteto; btw, what happened to your car...?

laozy

Smash Journeyman
aww suck i cant make it on the 15th. i'll try asking again.

o, if u guys want a really fun character, pick up samus. not only shes hot, there are endless moves that the great Phil has yet to master. the only thing sucky about her is that its hard to win tourneys.

ps. i'm using my psp!

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Siggable..

Although for some reason my signature isn't showing up. *shrug*
Did you check the "Show your signature" checkbox located below the submit button and under "Miscellaneous Options"?

And Phil, I've always wondered how you connect to the internet on a PSP. Do you have to pay extra or anything?

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Just so everything is in one place;
Lengeta, what time are we heading down to St. George tomorrow..? and how is transportation working.. are you just driving up to sandy, picking them up, then me (or perhaps the other way around) and off we go? I suppose that wouldn't be too bad, especially if they all congregated at FtS's or some such..

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Connecting to the internet using a psp is free, you just need wi-fi and at least version......2.6 I think or later. The browser sucks nuts though.

Zamoz

Smash Cadet
Anyone have the lowdown on Anime Banzai? If it's the same one I'm thinking I read about it last year and the Smash Bros. rules they were planning on using sucked balls so I didn't go. That and the prospect of meeting people more anime freaky than I am scared me to death.

Top Bottom