• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Hi. I'm new to competitive Smash, so I'm trying to get a feel for the Utah scene. I've been playing Samus since SSB64, although I only played 64/Melee casually with friends. (I actually played Mewtwo the majority of the time in Melee and I never lost a game to my friend's Fox, so my friends and I were pretty much the epitome of casual Melee players.)

I go to the U of U (majoring in CS) and live out in Tooele.

I haven't posted very much, but I've read more or less everything in Tactical discussion. I'm currently relearning my technical skill (the little that is required for this game, anyway) because I switched from the Wii/Chuck to the Classic Controller. (I am a bit regretful that I didn't opt to go to the GameCube controller, but at least I have a C-Stick now.)

I only have 1 friend out in Tooele who is willing to play friendlies with me, so I'm definitely not Azen/Ken/M2K quality. I'm an easy-going guy though, and I'd love to find some good Smashers to get mauled by. Heat and pressure make diamonds, and all that. Plus, I have a small amount of disposable income to contribute to tourney pots. ;)

Any info about good places in Utah with strong Smash groups would be greatly appreciated.

slave1

Smash Lord
yo you should come down to cedar city and play me and sage. it would be cool. but welcome. go samus in melee.

and i did not know the only reason to live in life is to go smash in other states. what place did you take C!Z
woot for representing utah

C!Z

Smash Lord
yo you should come down to cedar city and play me and sage. it would be cool. but welcome. go samus in melee.

and i did not know the only reason to live in life is to go smash in other states. what place did you take C!Z
woot for representing utah
Idk... I made it to 2nd pools where I got where I was just a spot shy of makin it to brackets =( I lost a game I probably shouldn't have but everybody there was really good and it was too sweet! So many friendlies, it was too much fun. I beat two pros though(in friendlies) =) and got 3 stocks off a bunch of really good ones which I was really happy about. No names over boards though cuz I don't wanna be that guy.

Eyada do you still play any Melee?

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
slave1 said:
Thanks, I'd love the chance to play with you guys. I'll probably have to wait until there's a big tourney down there though, given the 4-hour drive. Maybe if my classwork lightens up a bit I can find the time on a random weekend, but I doubt that'll happen this semester.

C!Z said:
Eyada do you still play any Melee?
I was actually looking to pick up a GameCube controller (lost my old one) and get back into Melee. Are there a lot of Melee players still active in Utah?

On that topic, how many players in Utah play Brawl/Melee/64? Brawl is widely played in Utah, right? Or is Melee more popular? Does anyone still play 64? I get the impression that Brawl and Melee together is the most popular type of tourney.

C!Z

Smash Lord
I was actually looking to pick up a GameCube controller (lost my old one) and get back into Melee. Are there a lot of Melee players still active in Utah?

On that topic, how many players in Utah play Brawl/Melee/64? Brawl is widely played in Utah, right? Or is Melee more popular? Does anyone still play 64? I get the impression that Brawl and Melee together is the most popular type of tourney.
lol no controller so I'm guessin you haven't played in a while. Yeah Brawl is liked more. Our Melee scene is getting better everyday and you'd only help contribute to it getting bigger. Nobody I know of plays 64 though. All the better players still play Melee atleast a little(not nearly enough though, Yaz and Kenny you Brawl whores). So it's up to you what you wanna play. Come to PNT on Thursdays to get to know some peeps and get some games in if you're free.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
lol no controller so I'm guessin you haven't played in a while. Yeah Brawl is liked more. Our Melee scene is getting better everyday and you'd only help contribute to it getting bigger. Nobody I know of plays 64 though. All the better players still play Melee atleast a little(not nearly enough though, Yaz and Kenny you Brawl whores). So it's up to you what you wanna play. Come to PNT on Thursdays to get to know some peeps and get some games in if you're free.
It's probably been... 2-3 years, I guess, since I last played Melee. :dizzy:

Still though, I'd like to get back into it.

Is PnT (Play N Trade of Draper, right?) a common meeting place for Smash players? What time are you at PNT on Thursday?

Thanks for the help, by the way. It's good to know there are cool people involved in Smash here.

wangston

Smash Lord
Eyada the scene here is great. I just moved here for school, BYU GO cougars!!! Everyone here is so nice and I would consider them all friends, including X thought he seems like a big **** at first you will learn to love him. Most people do play brawl, but there is a nice size for melee. We have two monthly tournaments http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193104 Tourney of Fate and http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=151520 Metal Awesome. There is also the small tourney on Thursdays at the PnT Draper. That tourney takes all of 30 mins and then everyone place melee friendlies or brawl friendlies for a 2 hours or so. It's a great scene to be.

YazYaz

Smash Apprentice
Screw you guys. The best playas are in the Springville/Provo/Orem (Orem in particular) area. If you want to lose your noobishness fast, come ball with the big boys. (or the smaller ones in springville)

BTW ILY too Crea. I feel you're the only one that understands me.

C!Z

Smash Lord
, BYU GO cougars!!!
Boo this man and his stinky Cougars.

Screw you guys. The best playas are in the Springville/Provo/Orem (Orem in particular) area. If you want to lose your noobishness fast, come ball with the big boys. (or the smaller ones in springville)
The best players if you wanna play the game that needs hacks to be even decent :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Buzz aren't you the coward that switched to an easier game?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Hi. I'm new to competitive Smash, so I'm trying to get a feel for the Utah scene. I've been playing Samus since SSB64, although I only played 64/Melee casually with friends. (I actually played Mewtwo the majority of the time in Melee and I never lost a game to my friend's Fox, so my friends and I were pretty much the epitome of casual Melee players.)

I go to the U of U (majoring in CS) and live out in Tooele.

I haven't posted very much, but I've read more or less everything in Tactical discussion. I'm currently relearning my technical skill (the little that is required for this game, anyway) because I switched from the Wii/Chuck to the Classic Controller. (I am a bit regretful that I didn't opt to go to the GameCube controller, but at least I have a C-Stick now.)

I only have 1 friend out in Tooele who is willing to play friendlies with me, so I'm definitely not Azen/Ken/M2K quality. I'm an easy-going guy though, and I'd love to find some good Smashers to get mauled by. Heat and pressure make diamonds, and all that. Plus, I have a small amount of disposable income to contribute to tourney pots. ;)

Any info about good places in Utah with strong Smash groups would be greatly appreciated.
Hm, this post gave the vibe of one of those bios for online dating services. :laugh: But anyway, you play Samus in SSB64 (bottom tier) and Mewtwo in SSBM (former bottom tier)? That's the way to represent low tiers! You wouldn't happen to main Captain Falcon in Brawl, do you? And you constantly beat beat your friend's Fox with Mewtwo? Either you are like Taj-good or your friend is the opposite of that.

Eyada the scene here is great. I just moved here for school, BYU GO cougars!!!
Pfft! Screw BYU; it's all about the U of U. BYU totally got owned in their last football game, and the U is still undefeated! Anyway, to my knowledge, Minato, Waffle Can, and I are those from our Smash community that is currently attending the U.
Anyway, if possible, we can plan to meet at the U sometime. On Monday and Wednesday, I have four classes, all back-to-back, from 8:35-12:40 (after which, I'm free for the day); on Tuesday, I only have one class from 10:45-11:35 (so I can meet you shortly after that before going home, if possible); on Wednesday, I have a big break from 8:30ish-10:45 where I'll be at school, then after 11:35, I'm free for the day; and on Friday, I have a break from 10:30-11:50, then I'm free after 12:40.

Or, if you are interested in anime, then you can come to an anime convention taking place this Friday and Saturday and a whole bunch of us can meet you there. For more info on this convention, go to http://www.animebanzai.org/.

-Final-

Aria♪
Thanks, I'd love the chance to play with you guys. I'll probably have to wait until there's a big tourney down there though, given the 4-hour drive. Maybe if my classwork lightens up a bit I can find the time on a random weekend, but I doubt that'll happen this semester.

Play melee. It's a lot better than Brawl.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
So having been at college (USU) now for a couple months with no Brawl, I'm really feeling that I need to get into something with the lot of you. I want to get to know the Utah Smash scene better. So... What, where, and when? Lol. Seriously, though, how do I get in on some of the action?

slave1

Smash Lord
So having been at college (USU) now for a couple months with no Brawl, I'm really feeling that I need to get into something with the lot of you. I want to get to know the Utah Smash scene better. So... What, where, and when? Lol. Seriously, though, how do I get in on some of the action?
who, what, when did you show up. i do not remember seeing you. do you know eric sedar. he goes there. and why have you not talked to anyone, you have a billion smashers by you

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I think I posted, like, once before in this thread... I've just been sort of lurking it, though. I'd like to know of these billion Smashers, because I'd really like to get into the Smash scene more.

wangston

Smash Lord
:'( why all that hate for the Cougars. Don't get upset when BYU beats Utah at the end of the season at their own Stadium. Thats it we were are going to have a BYU crew battle against a Utah crew. That's the only way to settle this.

C!Z

Smash Lord
I think I posted, like, once before in this thread... I've just been sort of lurking it, though. I would like to know of these billion Smashers, because I'd really like to get into the Smash scene more.
Come to the Draper PNT every Thursday at 5. You'll meet a bunch of Smashers, get some games in, and learn about all the other tourneys and what not.

___X___

Smash Lord
I think I posted, like, once before in this thread... I've just been sort of lurking it, though. I'd like to know of these billion Smashers, because I'd really like to get into the Smash scene more.
well thats good! where do you live?

and it would be awesome if you can make it to the weekley tournaments at PnT draper,

or if you come to the monthly tournaments in sandy,

let me introduce myself, im X and i love to **** noobs, and grab ****

me and my bros are really competitive in both brawl and melee, so it would be awesome if you joined our smash scene!

and if you need any help you can just call or text me or any of my other bros.
Pm me if you want numbers :]]]]

C!Z

Smash Lord
me and my bros are really competitive in both brawl and melee, so it would be awesome if you joined our smash scene!
Lies. You kinda, David yes. Lada and Staz don't even seem like they like Melee anymore. They didn't even enter the Melee tourney. Pu**ies.

___X___

Smash Lord
Lies. You kinda, David yes. Lada and Staz don't even seem like they like Melee anymore. You never play.
well look who came out of nowhere...

Yes we do play a lot. look at the results yo, i got better then phill :p

so back the EFF OFF!!

C!Z

Smash Lord
well look who came out of nowhere...

Yes we do play a lot. look at the results yo, i got better then phill :p

so back the EFF OFF!!
Phil doesn't really play anymore. He said he wants to get back into it but don't go bragging you did better than someone who doesn't play. Nerd.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Come to the Draper PNT every Thursday at 5. You'll meet a bunch of Smashers, get some games in, and learn about all the other tourneys and what not.
Hmm... Well, the problem is, I have no way to get there. As of Friday, my car is out of commission, so I'm pretty well stuck here in Logan.

well thats good! where do you live?

and it would be awesome if you can make it to the weekley tournaments at PnT draper,

or if you come to the monthly tournaments in sandy,
I'm up in Logan, at USU, with no means of transportation. So I'm not sure what I could do about getting to Draper or Sandy...

let me introduce myself, im X and i love to **** noobs, and grab ****

and if you need any help you can just call or text me or any of my other bros.
Pm me if you want numbers :]]]]
Good to meet you, X. (that's gonna be weird for me for a while, I go by X a few places online...)

I've never really been into the competitive scene; I didn't even know about the whole tier list and everything until I joined here (come to find I main upper-tier characters in every game). I've always been more of the casual type, but I'd still love to participate in a tourney and get my butt kicked a few times. I pretty much suck at Melee since Brawl came out, as I could never really get used to it again, but I love both games, so I'd be willing to join in with whatever's going on. I just don't know how I'd get there...

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
Pfft! Screw BYU; it's all about the U of U. BYU totally got owned in their last football game, and the U is still undefeated!
I Never Imagined PC Caring about football. Personaly I cheer for our suu team to lose! FOOTBALL is the worst of an excuse for idiots who can't do anything other than bash each others heads around and be completely Idiotic and Evil The whole time making millions of dollars. Any way Football is SUCK to the ANIS! well i am done with my rant.

Lies. You kinda, David yes. Lada and Staz don't even seem like they like Melee anymore. They didn't even enter the Melee tourney. Pu**ies.
Go C!Z are you ever wrong? Like I really want to know

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Perfect Chaos said:
Hm, this post gave the vibe of one of those bios for online dating services. But anyway, you play Samus in SSB64 (bottom tier) and Mewtwo in SSBM (former bottom tier)? That's the way to represent low tiers! You wouldn't happen to main Captain Falcon in Brawl, do you? And you constantly beat beat your friend's Fox with Mewtwo? Either you are like Taj-good or your friend is the opposite of that.
Hehe, yeah. Sorry about that. I had a few minutes of spare time to post, and I couldn't think of a good way to say "Hey, I'm looking for some good Smashers to play against. I am lonely out in Tooele. Help.", so I opted for the long, ackward, here's-my-life-story type of introduction. :ohwell:

As for Melee, even at my peak a few years back I was nowhere near the top players. The Mewtwo vs. Fox thing was supposed to illustrate that my friends and I weren't playing near the highest level, but apparently I fail badly at communication. In any case, I beat his Fox consistently because I was simply better at the game than he was. We weren't horrible, but we definitely weren't pushing the limits of the game either. It's been a really long time now, but with enough practice I could probably get back to my previous level. At that point, based off footage I've seen of some Utah players, I would probably still get brutalized every single round, but at least I'd be to a point where I'd get better by it.

wangston said:
Eyada the scene here is great. I just moved here for school, BYU GO cougars!!!
Thanks for the warm welcome. It might even be enough to get me to forgive you for being Blue. :p

To everyone at the U, I would love to meet up. I couldn't find anything entertaining to do on campus last semester, so I signed up for a stupidly large number of credit hours this semester to, you know, help fill my spare time. :urg: Unfortunately, that means I have been dying underneath a barely manageable flood of work lately, but there is potential relief in sight. Hopefully by next week I'll have enough free time to go to the Thursday tournament at PNT and meet you all. I'm looking forward to seeing what level you all play at.

I only have a Classic Controller at the moment, however. All the tourney threads say that wireless controllers are "discouraged". By "discouraged" do you mean "Annoying but tolerable" or "Don't bring them or we'll despise you for life."?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
If you have a problem calling him X, you can call him "___" (aka "blank" or "underscore"). Pretty much everyone else does. :chuckle:
That's three of them, isn't it? "Triple underscore"... It's got a nice ring to it. ;)

But seriously, I can call him X. I've just never known an X who wasn't me.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Go C!Z are you ever wrong? Like I really want to know
lol not too often but thanks for noticing ;)
So... My birthday is on thursday :]]]]
C!Z you should come.
and of course Jun :]
I'm tryin to get my flight on Thursday to be early so I possibly could. You'll also have to ask Burr if that'll be possible. Cuz I will if my flight and Burr agree.

Top Bottom