• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Yoshi in past smash games

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
Do you find it awkward?
I'm talking Melee and even the original SSB...Yoshi's DJC just makes him play so different i'm afraid it will just confuse me to go between that and Brawl. Not to mention the differences in egg throwing and other little things...

I just don't know if you can have it both ways, like you have to choose to use Yoshi post-DJC or not.

Discuss. :yoshi:

Metatitan

Smash Master
It's honestly a different character, so unless you've connected the two styles mentally idk y it should cause you a problem.

.Marik

is a social misfit
It's unbelievable how much the feel of Melee Yoshi differs from Brawl Yoshi.

The gameplay mechanics are just that much different.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i was just wondering if there r any yoshi players who successfully use him in all smash games...
if thats possible

auroreon

Smash Ace
The trick to playing Yoshi in both games is to trick your mind into treating the 2 games as completely seperate entities, you must remove every psychological link between the two games.
You can use very different control schemes for both games to help achieve this.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I can't use Yoshi in Melee anymore. More than anything else, it's the recovery that I can't get used to. Instead, when I went back to playing the game, I started using characters I always kind of enjoyed but had never really gotten into using (Link, Marth), as well as maintaining my Falco, who never made the transition to Brawl in the first place.

:005:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Brawl Yoshi actually made me better @ Melee Yoshi.

The one pivotal ground move Yoshis need in that game is forward tilt and Brawl taught me how to use it.

I'm pretty good with Yoshi in both games; the only trouble I have is seeing how much heavier Melee Yoshi is and mixing up the percents for moves in different games to break the DJ. It's kind of annoying, but other than that, you can actually kind of take the weak points of one Yoshi and see if you can't work your way around them with the other. It was definitely beneficial for my Melee game.

Depster

Smash Champion
I am playing melee right now and am having a really hard time with it... I used to be decent =0

Depster

Smash Champion
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Anyhow, I can't play Melee anyways. I tried playing Ness before and DJC is what kills me. I imagine it'd be similar for Yoshi.
Last I played was 2 months ago then I popped it in today and got waaaayy worse. IT get better though.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It really does, since very few people want to Brawl me since I'm too good at it. My older brother would play when he came and visited and it'd be close most of the time. Though I feel I'd be better at the game now than before.

Metatitan

Smash Master
My brother used to **** me in melee and brawl before i went competitive. Now I refuse to brawl him (because I'd massacre him at the game), and he refuses to play me melee jigglypuff because I always up air-> rest him. Rest really is a noob killer.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
lol yea i don't really play melee much anymore...
But my bro does, and whenever i play his falcon as yoshi hes doin all this crazy SHFFLing stuff around me and i'm just struggling to get control of DJC, egg throwing, and well everything xp
I never did really play it competitively though like i do with Brawl now.

I usually just stick to sheik since shes not so diff and i can use her better, but also b/c i don't want melee yoshi to mess up my brawl game heh

Metatitan

Smash Master
o.o i might have to request you get off these boards >.> jk
you really need to play it; it's too fun with how fast-paced it is
I don't think melee is all that much faster than brawl. It just looks a lot faster because of techs such as wavedashing and everything. People kill earlier due to stronger KO moves and gimps in melee.

bigman40

Smash Master
Melee had things that actually made sense (aka, air momentum after you were running, and a little better priority placements) The additions to making it a really good game were the balance in hitstun and the combos to make things look flashy. This made comebacks look much more dramatic.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Melee had things that actually made sense (aka, air momentum after you were running, and a little better priority placements) The additions to making it a really good game were the balance in hitstun and the combos to make things look flashy. This made comebacks possible.
fix'd(though it dosent mean its not possible in bwarl)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I swear I'm the only person on all of Smashboards that's never played Melee...
You're not the only one(Hi, S. Panda) He said this a few times during SMYN's second and third seasons.

Anyway, playing Brawl Yoshi made my Melee Yoshi a bit worse, but only a little bit for a short time. Having access to Melee's debug mode via the AR dol on my SD card helps alot.

Oddly enough, playing Brawl Yoshi slightly improved my 64 Yoshi.

Top Bottom