• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Samus Effectively

Samusaran252

Smash Rookie
NNID
Maylay
Samus has those projectiles for a reason. If you knock your opponent far off the stage, charge you're beam & wait till your opponent has a high enough damage count when they're ready to attack.

An alternative to this is Firing a super missile when they're knocked to the side. Fire 2-3 at least. The normal Missiles lock on, but have an even more limited range. Only use basic missiles when the opponent is on the map & you need to raise some damage.

Her screw attack isn't much of a good attack, only a good recovery. It can do damage, but has no great K.O potential(At least when I use it).

Her bombs are weak, but they're good for 2 things: Overhead attack or a mini=jump. If you use them while in the air, they make a nice trail of explosive damage(They are fairly weak though). Now, recovery-wise: If you Double Jump & use a bomb, try a screw attack to catch extra air(Still testing, so dont do till I confirm it works perfectly).

Her throw is good since it's the grapple beam. it's long-range is beneficial for quick catch & hit.

Her downward attack(Not smash) is effective since she fires at the ground with an explosive attack. It's probably the most useful among standard attacks.

If you have anythin else, feel free to write it here.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
To everyone else, I apologize for the double post. Also, feel free to directly oppose what I say. I don't want to impart the wrong knowledge to our new Samus player over here, so make sure I'm stopped promptly. :p Now, Samusaran252, I'm no top level professional (yet) but I'm gonna address your post and try to review your shortcomings.

Samus has those projectiles for a reason. If you knock your opponent far off the stage, charge you're beam & wait till your opponent has a high enough damage count when they're ready to attack.

An alternative to this is Firing a super missile when they're knocked to the side. Fire 2-3 at least. The normal Missiles lock on, but have an even more limited range. Only use basic missiles when the opponent is on the map & you need to raise some damage.
I'm actually not gonna say this is a bad strategy, especially if you're not comfortable with trying something risky. But there's something called edgeguarding, so you don't have to wait for that "high enough damage count". You can grab the ledge (edgehog), run off and use neutral aerial A (nair), use up tilt (utilt), etc. All are good for different situations. Yeah, you might even use your charged shot here and there, but that shouldn't be your single only way of dealing with opponents that you've knocked off the stage. Also, guided missiles CAN be used for offstage opponents. In fact, they can even set up opponents to be hit by your fully charged shot. ;)

Her screw attack isn't much of a good attack, only a good recovery. It can do damage, but has no great K.O potential(At least when I use it).
Well, I guess one WOULD normally think that Samus's screw attack pretty much fails as an attack, but it's actually really good when used a certain way: as a GTFO (Get the **** Out/Off) move. It comes out extremely fast, it racks up damage quickly, you can use it while shielding, and you are invincible for the first four frames of it. Sure, that's only 1/15th of a second, but in competitive Melee that actually amounts to quite a bit. You're right that you probably won't be killing with it, though.

Her bombs are weak, but they're good for 2 things: Overhead attack or a mini=jump. If you use them while in the air, they make a nice trail of explosive damage(They are fairly weak though). Now, recovery-wise: If you Double Jump & use a bomb, try a screw attack to catch extra air(Still testing, so dont do till I confirm it works perfectly).
Well, they ARE weak, but they're good for so many more than two things. Yes, you can use them as an overhead attack or a means to perform a jump shorter than your short hop (SH), but you can also use them as deterrents, a way to combo, a form of shield pressure, and most of all, your main means of recovery. Bomb jumps are the reason Samus has the second best, if not the best, recovery in the game.

Her throw is good since it's the grapple beam. it's long-range is beneficial for quick catch & hit.
This grab is ANYTHING but quick. It's the slowest grab in the game, followed by Zelda, I believe. Yes, this grab is long-ranged but its slow startup time and cooldown lag should be enough to encourage you to limit its use. In fact, for a beginner, I would say (I might be wrong) to keep your fingers away from the grab button unless you're recovering. Later on, you'll discover that some, maybe most, of Samus's guaranteed combos are actually started by this grab. Fast fact: Samus's dash grab (grab while running) has a much shorter afterlag but less range; something to think about.

Her downward attack(Not smash) is effective since she fires at the ground with an explosive attack. It's probably the most useful among standard attacks.
Her down tilt (dtilt) IS effective and it sets her up for a lot of her combos by hitting the opponent upwards. It's also very good because you can perform it right after a crouch cancel (CC) which would allow to effectively "absorb" an enemy's attack while instantly retaliating with this move. I wouldn't say dtilt is Samus's MOST useful standard attack, but it definitely ranks up there among the greats.

If you have anythin else, feel free to write it here.
Well, I did...:awesome:
To be honest (tbh, lolz (Laugh Out Loudzzz :p)), someone should probably make an updated general guide for these Samus boards. I was just on the Sheik boards, and KirbyKaze (KK) just made them ANOTHER one..... Anyway, I hope I was helpful and that I didn't come off as a know-it-all prick. :cool:

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Not sure if troll or noob...
Lol

Lmao :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, I think EVERYBODY who plays melee even at a casual level already has this theory down pat, Samusaran
And there are a lot more techniques that make Samus a really good character. But you got the basics of the character down for sure. Now it's time to step it up a decade, eh?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
My Sheik guide is being made because the current one by Plank, while a decent resource, doesn't encapsulate some of the developments made in recent years. Particularly against space animals and Puff.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
My Sheik guide is being made because the current one by Plank, while a decent resource, doesn't encapsulate some of the developments made in recent years. Particularly against space animals and Puff.
its all pretty outdated (like my skill level XD) i would personally like to read your opinions on things too

McNinja

Smash Ace
Basically adding on to what was previously said about Samus's screw attack, if you are constantly being shield pressured and don't know what to do, upB out of shield. I like thinking of this tactic as the way Samus compensates for not having a fast shield grab.

:phone:

McNinja

Smash Ace
Yes, don't go wild. I apologize if my post was implying that. But if the opprtunity presents itself, go for it.

Samusaran252

Smash Rookie
NNID
Maylay
Yes, my guide has some things missing(thanks bubbaking for showing them to me). However there are more things i have to add now. Probably not gonna add them now, but believe me when i say, i play the **** outta samus in brawl. Expect a much more revised guide with the strategies that i know

Here are some useful strategies you can use during most battles: - When you first start out in a battle, charge your charge-up shot. - You should also fire a few missiles to confuse your opponents - Let your opponent come to you, it will be easier to attack because while they are coming towards you, you can prepare a battle strategy - Use Meteor Attacks when you have the chance to. Timed correctly, a well timed meteor smash could put you in the lead of a battle. - Learn how to dodge and roll well, it can really help you out - Samus's Gorund Flame is very useful when your stuck in a difficult situation - Use Samus's Screw Attack to end a combo, but be careful, it will leave you open to attack. - Samus's Tackle attack is very useful, you can often tackle opponents time after time by running back and forth (see below) - Use the charge-up shot when the opponent least expects it, you will have a greater chance of hitting them.
I will give the basic combo, then maybe some optional attacks to add, and then the most powerful and best version of the combo. I wrote these combos so that you can make your own variations of them. For example, taking part of the Dashing Fiend and stringing it together wit parts of the Flying Crane and ONE-TWO-THREE. Experiment and find the best combos for you. Have fun with stringing the combos together. Most of these combos are most effective when the opponent has a bit of damage(around 20%). The Projectile Fury can easily put 40% damage on an opponent if you time it right. I suggest you use it before using the other combos. The only time I don't suggest using the Projectile Fury i when you are fighting in a small area. Fighting in a tight area, I suggest that you use some tackles, puches, sweep kicks, and some flamethrowers to put damage on the opponent, then use the combos. And remember, pratice makes perfect,practice these combos over and over and eventually you will master them, but not after a lot of practice. Projectile Fury - (B) / (B + *>) / (B + *>) / etc. This is an easy combo to perform. You charge your charge-up shot as much as possible before using it. The charge-up shot is meant to distract the opponent so then you can hit them with some missiles. You can also throw in some charge-up shots in between the missiles.

Dashing Fiend - (A || >>) / (A || >>) \ (A || >>) / etc. This is a very annoying combo for the opponent because Samus's tackle attack is very quick and powerful. Most of the time, your opponent will be knocked in the same direction you are traveling but sometimes the opponent will go in the opposite direction which means you will have to turn around to continue the combo.
Flying Crane - NOTE: This combo is best performed while the opponent is in the air (A || J) / (A || J) / (A || J) / etc. Optional: 1) Use (A + V OR *V) to launch your opponent into the air before using the Flying Crane. 2) Add (A + ^ || J) at the end 3) Add (B + ^) at the end This combo is really useful for dishing out damage to you opponent. You may need to dash alittle to keep up with your opponent who is flying thorugh the air. Just keep kicking. If you add option 1 in the beginning, you can start the combo on the ground. Adding option 2 (a drill kick) can add some more damage to the opponent. Adding option 3 is like adding option 2. Becareful because you will be vulerable after performing your special. Power Version: I will write it beginning on the ground. (A + V) OR (A + *V) / (A || J) / (A || J) / (A + ^ || J) / (B + ^)

Ram and Slam - This combo is still being developed. (A + >>) / (A + *V) / (A || J) OR a Flying Crane This combo starts off with a dash tackle, which should knock your opponent into air. Quickly use the sweeper kick to knock your opponent into the air again(you must use the sweeper kick right when your opponent is about to hit the ground). Then use the aerial kick to knock them away.

Recovering -> When you get sent flying and you're are going to hit the ground, press the z button and you'll do what i call an "insta-recovery" and get immediatly back up. I find this great for throwing off my friends. You can also press the l or r button to roll a certain direction.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I'm going to stop saying f-tilt and f-smash because saying (A + >) and (A + >>) is so much cooler. Thanks for the tips btw philip.

McNinja

Smash Ace
That is the best post I have ever read, Philip. You sir, have earned my congradulations.

as tempting as it is to put a movie clip in here...

Isn't that post from the Gamefaqs Samus guide?
Pretty much a direct copy and paste :p

sorry if i disappoint mcninja haha

I'm going to stop saying f-tilt and f-smash because saying (A + >) and (A + >>) is so much cooler. Thanks for the tips btw philip.
oh gosh... that's almost sig worthy

well... anytime, anytime... i got lots more advice if you have questions.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
i started as a brawl player (samus of course) and was pretty good. still pretty good. but once u convert to melee samus. i challenge u to truly go back. every time i go back, i am in pain and i weep for samus. lol.

as for philips post. pro copy-paste skills! lol. i almost never roll with samus tho. it sucks. i think i have a problem with not shielding enough. i often dodge too much and get punished for it by better players.

Samusaran252

Smash Rookie
NNID
Maylay
I was probably 13 or 14 when I made this trash
So of course not
Still trash

Last edited:
Top Bottom