• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using emulation to further our competitive experience

DMoogle

A$
Nados wouldn't bother me at all if it weren't for the randomness element. I feel like it isn't difficult to keep track of where they are (stereo sound helps); it's just that when one pops up unexpectedly, it can mess things up.

Does add combo potential though.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
The story was along the lines that when he, James and I were at James' house playing smash, James mentioned that apparently the variable on Hyrule was originally meant to be a bird.

And that's the story of why the Tornado on Hyrule is actually a bird.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
A thread that once again states stuff I said ages ago that should be changed within the game, theres more denial here than when I state I 4stocked someone in the community. GL Roman, I mean it. Changing the minds of most the kids on smashboards is like trying to beat Isai's pika on console when moneys on the line, it aint happening. Not trollin (though i'ma get some dumb warning/ban neway despite it being on topic) just sayin maybe if people here listened to and attempted to fix problems with emulation more than they *****ed and attacked me for what they KNOW I'M RIGHT ABOUT , stuff would get done and emulation would be tons better. I mean god damn...Neway I'ma go back to not posting so battlecow doesn't crap out a little bloody colon crucified brick again. Just saw your post and had to comment zan.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Sometimes the nados attack superfast, so you dont have time to get away even if you see it. Some one can allso combo you into a tornado, or mess up your combos since its i the way or they get saved on the other side of the tornado.

I try my hardest but I cant see how anyone can justify nadoes in competitive play. It doesnt even make a little bit sense. I guess some people just are afraid of trying new stuff.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't get why people complain about hyrule when kongo is neutral and peach castle is a counterpick.

I don't get why people complain about FD and BF being neutral (if not because of technical inconvenience) when kongo is neutral and peach castle is a counterpick.

Also if you hate that you lose because of a stage hazard, is it better to lose because of a stage's shape? This can't be avoided (Gimpland, hiderule, ... there's always something to abuse), so let's just play with it.

I must confess that the more I play on DL, the less I like Hyrule though. Poor Hyrule :(.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Yes. Its better to die because the stage is small, or similiar things, than because of a game hazard. Even if I personally will go further and call the tornado a third player.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Can't you listen for the noise it makes when it appears?
Yea but I often don't play with sound.

Nados wouldn't bother me at all if it weren't for the randomness element. I feel like it isn't difficult to keep track of where they are (stereo sound helps); it's just that when one pops up unexpectedly, it can mess things up.
Can you actually tell where they are on the stage by sound alone? I've never been able to. Nados appearing right on top of players or even in the vicinity of the fighting is really the worst part. I'd be fine with a cheat that eliminated tornados, or even one that just got rid of the unknown and randomness of them.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
A thread that once again states stuff I said ages ago that should be changed within the game, theres more denial here than when I state I 4stocked someone in the community. GL Roman, I mean it. Changing the minds of most the kids on smashboards is like trying to beat Isai's pika on console when moneys on the line, it aint happening. Not trollin (though i'ma get some dumb warning/ban neway despite it being on topic) just sayin maybe if people here listened to and attempted to fix problems with emulation more than they *****ed and attacked me for what they KNOW I'M RIGHT ABOUT , stuff would get done and emulation would be tons better. I mean god damn...Neway I'ma go back to not posting so battlecow doesn't crap out a little bloody colon crucified brick again. Just saw your post and had to comment zan.
You're only right when you say delay and lag are bad. Everything else is just whining. Why dont you (the hater of whining) cut that **** out and just play again. You say you quit in part due to the poor community but you've become one of the worst.....

This game doesn't need to be "remodeled" to fit how some people may like it. The server side problems (lag & delay) have nothing to do with this stuff.

Dont like nados, play DL...Boom understands.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think you may be a little bit mad.

No, seriously though, what were your recommended fixes? "nerfing" z-cancels to half-reduction, and adding walltechs? I just don't see the benefit. It would screw up a lot of our combos and make the game less fun. I don't think I've ever offered you anything but respectful disagreement on that one.

And obviously smoother emulation (less DS/lag) would be nice. No one disagrees.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't understand why rawrimamonster's posts always have an angry tone. He makes Fireblaster seem like a calm, serene young man.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah Marth does always seem mad.

I used to turn of tornadoes years ago but that cheat seemed to make the wind on dreamland blow the ENTIRE match so I turned it off.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Alright, the last thing I want is this thread to get closed due to arguments, so if we could, please keep it civilized.

felipe_9595, I'm having an issue with your stage code. I have Mushroom Kingdom linked to Metal Mario's Stage, but no matter what stage I choose, it always goes to Metal Mario. This makes this code pointless if you can't have stages linked to specific stages.

Sheer, now that you pointed out that issue, I'm having it too. Why can't there be a code without stupid bugs that makes the codes useless? :\

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Alright, the last thing I want is this thread to get closed due to arguments, so if we could, please keep it civilized.

felipe_9595, I'm having an issue with your stage code. I have Mushroom Kingdom linked to Metal Mario's Stage, but no matter what stage I choose, it always goes to Metal Mario. This makes this code pointless if you can't have stages linked to specific stages.

Sheer, now that you pointed out that issue, I'm having it too. Why can't there be a code without stupid bugs that makes the codes useless? :\
you are doing something wrong :p it works perfect for me

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i think lava-always-down zebes might be a decent level
Ah, I was thinking that in the modifications the lava would be taken out completely. Lava always down would be heaps sweet, thanks to the awesome combos I can see happening.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yah Marth does always seem mad.

I used to turn of tornadoes years ago but that cheat seemed to make the wind on dreamland blow the ENTIRE match so I turned it off.
THANKS one thousand times, and even more. I didn't know why the **** would that tree blow constantly. Even the no-blow cheat wasn't powerful enough.

And ciaza and ballin, don't even think about it: being comboed by a stage hazard? So horrible!! (even though you'd be dead if there wasn't any)
:phone:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I don't know, your point in brackets was what I was getting at way back when we last debated Zebes. If the lava wasn't there, you'd be dead, so essentially it's an anti-gimp device. You at least have a chance of them screwing up the combo so you can get back to the stage. I can however see the frustration of just sitting there for ages, knowing there's a good chance you will die and not being able to do anything about it.

I'd still want it.

DMoogle

A$
I don't know, your point in brackets was what I was getting at way back when we last debated Zebes. If the lava wasn't there, you'd be dead, so essentially it's an anti-gimp device. You at least have a chance of them screwing up the combo so you can get back to the stage. I can however see the frustration of just sitting there for ages, knowing there's a good chance you will die and not being able to do anything about it.

I'd still want it.
Wait, what? The lava causes WAY WAY more deaths than it stops.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
It was an ironic post, making fun of kids crying because of nado ;).

:phone:
Well now I just feel silly.

Wait, what? The lava causes WAY WAY more deaths than it stops.
Maybe, when the lava rises. However, if you think about it sitting at the bottom of the stage, when you would normally fall to your death, it would shoot you back up.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
adding lava to peach's castle would be legit cuz of the ledges, albeit a weird addition.

wonder if **** like this is possible???

EDIT TO DODGE DUB POST: make the elevating platform have grabbable ledges a-la-beta2?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Impossible. Have you SEEN how far above the Earth PC is? Lava reaching that high would be logically impossible.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Impossible. Have you SEEN how far above the Earth PC is? Lava reaching that high would be logically impossible.
dude, volcanoes exist in mushroom kingdom, im sure you've played ANY mario game and there is lava in all the ones i can think of and even a VOLCANO in sm64;
PROBLEM?
:troll:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
ciaza just likes to argue for the game staying vanilla, that's all
That's because vanilla is the best flavour. I completely endorse modification to illegal stages to make them legal however.

dude, volcanoes exist in mushroom kingdom, im sure you've played ANY mario game and there is lava in all the ones i can think of and even a VOLCANO in sm64;
PROBLEM?
:troll:
Fair enough ;)

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
my statement applies to milkshakes, slices, types of alcoholic essence and type of coca-cola too
i literally laughed my *** off at "essence"
ggs

EDIT TO STAY ON TOPIC:the ability to patch roms with codes would make setting up many codes not a chore
i vote yea for rompatch.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
EDIT TO STAY ON TOPIC:the ability to patch roms with codes would make setting up many codes not a chore
i vote yea for rompatch.
Well, I got a message from Smasherx78 today that sort of explained the process. I'm going to go ahead and quote it since he didn't mention anywhere that he didn't want me telling anyone.

Smasherx74 said:

That is my Mario64 rom patcher.

Code:
 Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        TextBox4.Text = "Offset: 0x" + Hex$(CLng("&H" & TextBox2.Text) - &H245000) + Environment.NewLine + "Byte: " + TextBox5.Text + TextBox6.Text + Environment.NewLine + Environment.NewLine + "Ready to be patched!!!"
        Label4.Text = Hex$(CLng("&H" & TextBox2.Text) - &H245000)
        Button2.Enabled = True
    End Sub

What basically you do to patch codes to the rom is this

812F8EC8 2400

Type, Address, Value

Generally for codes starting with 81 for n64 roms You subtract
a number, I forget the technical term for it because I haven't even touched n64 rom hacking in years. I know for mario64 it was 245000.

You need to find what ever that number is for smash64 and subtract a code for example say one with 81's address from it, that will get you the offset in hexadecimal for that part of the rom. You go there and change the Values to your Code values.

I suggest asking Gaudy and those chile guys about ssb64 codes and how it all works, I forgot mosto f it and the notes I have are all on my old computer which i got rid of.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better message of explaining this but best bet is to ask those Chile guys from emuditial. I forgot a lot of the terms for most of this stuff in general. I also believe there is a youtube video of creating codes on ssb64 with cheat engine, Reverse operation that and you will be located to your offset in the rom to patch the code. Also you need to fix chksum with Chksum64. Nemu64 auto fixes chksum, and if you are editing some parts of the rom it may cause a looping issue of errors which I have noticed happen on Project64. So even if you do patch codes to ssb64 rom, you may need to use a different emulator to correctly emulate it right.
So yeah, if anyone wants to do that, be my guest. This could get very interesting once this is used :)

Olikus

Smash Champion
If you could remove the bumper, and make holding on ledges on Peach. It would be the best stage imo.

Zebes with low lava is a great idea. Then they could be neutral and hyrule a cp. =D=D=D=D=D

dandan

Smash Lord
zebes has other things going against it other than the lava unfortunately.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
zebes has other things going against it other than the lava unfortunately.
Other than it's ledges and lava, what else is wrong with it? I think it's a great stage. So many weird combos can be performed on Zebes with it's bumpy main platform and it's really high platforms.

Top Bottom