• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using emulation to further our competitive experience

The Star King

Smash Hero
Am I weird for liking the bumper + lack of ledges? I don't like the floating triangular blocks, though.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I personally don't like the bumper because it moves. That's the only reason. If it stayed in the middle, it'd be perfectly fair and be loads of fun. If we had a timer in our matches, it may be easy to locate by the time. I know in Melee, I've got the times for when Randal comes out in Yoshi's Story. I'm sure there's some sort of timing to the bumper. If there is, and we found a way to add timers to games, then I'd be perfectly fine with the bumper.

As for lack of ledges, I like it. But only for this stage. I like each stage to be different.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I kinda like peach's the way it is

except for the triangles

holy **** I just agreed with SK

someone pinch me

Olikus

Smash Champion
If everyone like peach the way it is why isnt it neutral? I was coming with sugestions to make it more a neutral stage. But if thats not the goal then sure. I allso like it the way it is, cus its a funny stage :p

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Being legal =/= What everyone likes

It's all based on fairness. Peach's Castle as a neutral would be awful, even though it's a great stage.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I kinda like peach's the way it is

except for the triangles

holy **** I just agreed with SK

someone pinch me
You've agreed with many times. Just this week, you agreed with me about using best of 5 for Nintendude's Rating Project. Accept it; you're becoming just another one of my mind slaves.

Battlecow

Play to Win
i like peach's

link are sorta boosted imo
Wut? I've always felt like Link and Sammy got ****ed hard by Peach's. It totally screws with link's recovery when there's no ledge- he goes from having a decent but incredibly short recovery to having no recovery.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
saffron is a friggin' awesome stage. if it weren't for the helipad that kirby can utilt camp on all day i think it could be good for competitive play. Oh, and turn off stage hazard. I don't know anything about stage hacking, but would someone be able to raise the height of the helipad a bit? Not too much, but enough so that you don't necessarily have to approach from above.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
With all the modifications they've done to brawl, I'm sure it would be possible to do these modifications to SSB64. The only problem is, we don't have a big enough community that has enough people that do this kind of thing, unless they're just being lazy :p

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
LULZ WTF !!!!!!!!!

in the last year we have done:

- A Playable Final Destination
- A playable BTT Stages
- PSA. We can modify Characters
- STAGE MODIFICATION. Does anybody remeber the No paltform dreamland or the 2 platforms dreamland???? We can do this on any stages. We can remove, extend platforms and ledges.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Don't get so over excited. What you could do is, post all of the links to these hacks in this thread, and we can start from there. Remember, I've been gone from the community until a few weeks ago. I'm behind on a lot of stuff :p

And you can also send me your cheat file so I can find out what I'm doing wrong on the stage forwarder cheat

Also, do you have any kind of chat client you use? I'd like to speak with you over MSN. Got it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I said I agreed. I'd have actually liked Bo7 for the normals and Bo9 for the GFs or w/e.
Nice try, buddy. Direct quote:

^ Agree completely.
You also agreed with me in the Great Backroom Debate. PWNED

Wut? I've always felt like Link and Sammy got ****ed hard by Peach's. It totally screws with link's recovery when there's no ledge- he goes from having a decent but incredibly short recovery to having no recovery.
The platforms are awesome for his movement; if you've ever seen malva play on that stage, he moves really well. He can safely poke the platform from below with his uair, and platform drop dair is a great approach from above. The platform also helps his issues with escaping pressure out of shield a bit, since he now has the additional option of platform drop aerials. You're right about the recovery, though. Personally, I wouldn't say he gets "boosted" like aa did, but I think it's a decent stage for Link. Probably better than Dreamland.

I might be biased, though, because that's my favorite stage.

Sangoku

Smash Master
What made me enter competitive play was seeing most matches were played on hyrule as I only played there. If I see some **** like peach or saffron getting neutral I might quit. LOL I'm almost serious, I don't feel it's the same game on those stages.

:phone:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
What made me enter competitive play was seeing most matches were played on hyrule as I only played there. If I see some **** like peach or saffron getting neutral I might quit. LOL I'm almost serious, I don't feel it's the same game on those stages.

Well, when you enter competitive gaming, you have to expect changes. Quitting over a few stages is so ********, I don't even know what to say to that XD

Zantetsu

Smash Master
(except the use of XD, GRRRR).
Was that needed? :(

Edit: So I wasn't able to get the stage forwarder to work on Project64k but I was able to on Project64 1.6

Does anyone know why codes will work on one emulator but not the other one? It's pretty pointless to have these codes only work on Project64 1.6, the emulator we don't use for online play.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I must not be getting the meaning of "********" right. I hope I don't at least, or you're really stupid.

You guys are weird getting all excited because I don't have the same opinion as you. Also lol at the "expect changes" thing. If I enter a competitive scene it's because I see benefits from it, ie more fun. If things turn out to be more boring for me I shouldn't enter rather than forcing myself to adapt to something I don't like. You guys should sometimes listen to NixxxoN more :awesome:

Would you still play the game if the minimum delay was 10 frames? "Uh no, I wouldn't be able to play as I normally do."

Star king: I like FD, hyrule and DL. Where did you read I can only stand one stage? Maybe I wasn't clear in my post (in which case please tell me what part) or you must learn how to read.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I must not be getting the meaning of "********" right. I hope I don't at least, or you're really stupid.
a lot of words are thrown around here for no reason.

You guys are weird getting all excited because I don't have the same opinion as you. Also lol at the "expect changes" thing. If I enter a competitive scene it's because I see benefits from it, ie more fun.
Entering the competitive scene to have more fun is fine...if you stop having fun and dont wish to play any more, thats also fine...But how did you expect entering the competitive scene would make it more fun in the first place? If its about stages you could have always just said "forget competitive play" and just stuck to foolin around on what ever you wanted.

If things turn out to be more boring for me I shouldn't enter rather than forcing myself to adapt to something I don't like. You guys should sometimes listen to NixxxoN more :awesome:
If troll, lol. If not WHY DID I EVEN REPLY

Would you still play the game if the minimum delay was 10 frames? "Uh no, I wouldn't be able to play as I normally do."
It was either 7 or 8 when i started, so to answer your question directly. yes.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I didn't make a distinction between competitive play and normal play back then. I was only thinking about getting better. If that involved playing only on mushroom kingdom, I would only have learned the advance techs and not play online. So the "more fun" part was playing good people and getting better.

Concerning my delay question I forgot most of you started with online so it wasn't a good one >__>. So let's say a laggy 40fps?

The Nix part wasn't a troll, but just to remind some people not to take this too seriously. It's a game and the initial goal is to have fun obviously.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I didn't make a distinction between competitive play and normal play back then. I was only thinking about getting better. If that involved playing only on mushroom kingdom, I would only have learned the advance techs and not play online. So the "more fun" part was playing good people and getting better.
If this is the case a simple stage change shouldn't be a REAL issue.

Concerning my delay question I forgot most of you started with online so it wasn't a good one >__>. So let's say a laggy 40fps?
The actual performance parts of the game (delay, lag, etc) is a pretty unfair comparison anyways because they actually limit your ability to play the game properly. The issue would be adding stages you are not fond of, which is simply an opinion.

The Nix part wasn't a troll
:(

but just to remind some people not to take this too seriously. It's a game and the initial goal is to have fun obviously.
Oh it was a clever trick eh. Having fun is always my objective as well dont worry :p

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Since I'm posting from my iPhone, I'm not even going to bother with a long reply. I've said what I had to say and I have nothing more to say about the subject because you aren't making me want to reply to anything you're saying. Anyway, these posts aren't contributing to the threads main topic so why don't we just stop?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Kinda is on topic. Some what.

Goes back to the main point of trying to edit the game for preference.

I'm willing to stop either way as i have no place in this convo any how lol.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Star king: I like FD, hyrule and DL. Where did you read I can only stand one stage? Maybe I wasn't clear in my post (in which case please tell me what part) or you must learn how to read.

I was getting the impression that you only liked Hyrule because of you saying it got you into competitive Smash + the Kongo/Peach's Castle hate. I guess I jumped to conclusions a bit; probably should have said "You seriously can't stand Kongo or PC?". I still think quitting because of certain stages being made neutral is kind of silly, though, but I guess you're just different than me in that way.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Star King: sorry for the "learn how to read" part =P that was a bad joke maybe. I can understand that my post gave the feeling I only like Hyrule. Actually I only liked Hyrule in the beginning, then I learned to like Dreamland too. The reason is quite silly though, since it was mostly because I played 4 players ffa (with CPUs), so a small stage was too messy for me.

Also sorry BHLMRO for hating on your most favoritest stages =D. I was bored in the airport and I felt too much love was being given to peach and kongo.

I LOVE YOU ALL.

Seriously though, I really don't like these stages, but I guess it's a matter of habit. If I play there for some times, maybe I'll end up enjoying them. I just don't for now and I don't know if it's worth investing time for this. I might just go "I only play DL/Hyrule" or something and if the other player doesn't want, then I don't play. But that would be sad.

More on topic now, what should really be done is make FD and DL without middle platform easier to use. Not that it's hard now, but it's a bit complicated and if we could use them just like any other stages that would be great (more accessible that is). So I don't know if that's already made (inb4 felipe comes and XD in my face), but that's obviously not spread among the players. Oh and I don't know if it's possible to make DL-without-middle-platform a bit bigger too?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Star King: sorry for the "learn how to read" part =P that was a bad joke maybe. I can understand that my post gave the feeling I only like Hyrule. Actually I only liked Hyrule in the beginning, then I learned to like Dreamland too. The reason is quite silly though, since it was mostly because I played 4 players ffa (with CPUs), so a small stage was too messy for me.

Also sorry BHLMRO for hating on your most favoritest stages =D. I was bored in the airport and I felt too much love was being given to peach and kongo.

I LOVE YOU ALL.

Seriously though, I really don't like these stages, but I guess it's a matter of habit. If I play there for some times, maybe I'll end up enjoying them. I just don't for now and I don't know if it's worth investing time for this. I might just go "I only play DL/Hyrule" or something and if the other player doesn't want, then I don't play. But that would be sad.
Sangoku used apologies. Sangoku gained rep!

Nah, but seriously, it's rare that someone comes out and apologies on the internet. I shouldn't have called you ********. +Rep to you, good sir.

More on topic now, what should really be done is make FD and DL without middle platform easier to use. Not that it's hard now, but it's a bit complicated and if we could use them just like any other stages that would be great (more accessible that is). So I don't know if that's already made (inb4 felipe comes and XD in my face), but that's obviously not spread among the players. Oh and I don't know if it's possible to make DL-without-middle-platform a bit bigger too?
I'm not sure what you mean by FD and DL without the middle platform, but if you're thinking of something along the lines of Pokemon Stadium, I think they've done that, haven't they? I'm not sure if the base was stretched or not.

Sangoku

Smash Master
FD is Final Destination. And DL without middle platform is indeed something like pokemon stadium. I don't know about the latter (never tried it), but I know that if you want to play on Final Destination, one player must do all the setups in the cheat menu (including choosing the characters used by both) so I thought maybe if it was more convenient to use, maybe more battles would be played there? Same for pokemon stadium.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I misread your post earlier but I understand completely now and I agree. If we could have stages like dreamland, Hyrule, Pokemon stadium, and possibly final D as our neutrals, I think it would be pretty nice. We could also have Kongo Jungle, Peach's Castle, and a few fixed stages (Saffron and Zebes are easily fixable for counterpick, imo. ) then we would have 7-8 stages to play on. More stages = more fun :)

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
We have pokemon stadium as neutral :3

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=299838

Pokemon Stadium Melee Cheat

Cheat240="Dream Land 2 Platforms (Pokemon Stadium)",812184D0 0000,812184D8 0000,812184E0 0000,812184E8 0000,812184F0 0000,812184F8 0000,81218500 0000,81218508 0000,81218510 0000,81218408 0000,81218400 0000,80218836 00D0,8021883C 00D0,80218842 00D0,80218836 00D0,8021883C 00D0,80218842 00D0,81131410 0002

Activate when the battle starts, then turn it off.

EDIT: thats how it looks with textures:

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
We have pokemon stadium as neutral :3

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=299838

Pokemon Stadium Melee Cheat

Cheat240="Dream Land 2 Platforms (Pokemon Stadium)",812184D0 0000,812184D8 0000,812184E0 0000,812184E8 0000,812184F0 0000,812184F8 0000,81218500 0000,81218508 0000,81218510 0000,81218408 0000,81218400 0000,80218836 00D0,8021883C 00D0,80218842 00D0,80218836 00D0,8021883C 00D0,80218842 00D0,81131410 0002

Activate when the battle starts, then turn it off.

EDIT: thats how it looks with textures:

Sometimes I wish Smash 64 was easily hackable like Brawl. This being a ROM running on an emulator makes a lot of complications and limitations towards any sort of hacking progress. It's a cool edit nonetheless. I just kind of wish it was more accessible

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I think this question was covered due to an argument, and no one really saw it, so I'm going to post it again, because if this doesn't get answered, then we won't be able to make this project work.

So I wasn't able to get the stage forwarder to work on Project64k but I was able to on Project64 1.6

Does anyone know why codes will work on one emulator but not the other one? It's pretty pointless to have these codes only work on Project64 1.6, the emulator we don't use for online play.

The Star King

Smash Hero
"I SAID I agreed with you"

i.e. I said I did but I actually didn't.

pwned.
*****. You're obviously eating your words only to spite me. But even if you honestly didn't agree, there's still the Great Backroom Debate. It was cute how you ignored that part of my post when you replied. PWNED

@Zantetsu I think nobody replied because nobody knows the answer.

I thought GS codes work the same on any emulator, but I guess maybe not.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
@Zantetsu I think nobody replied because nobody knows the answer.

I thought GS codes work the same on any emulator, but I guess maybe not.

I think nobody replied because my post was the last reply of page 5 and most of page consisted of many arguments. Plus, I believe someone DOES know, they just didn't see my post
felipe_9595

clubbadubba

Smash Master
This may be the stupidest question ever, but wtf do I do with that large strand of hexidecimal called a cheat? Are there instructions somewhere on how to use these cheats? And if it ends up being really complicated... well then I'm probably not going to deal with it, which is how I think some others must feel as well. That may be one of the problems with the cheats. Or maybe I'm the only GS code illiterate person here (which I wouldn't doubt).

Also, as has been said, its not really convenient when 1p has to select everyone's character for every fight for some of these cheats. Certainly doesn't help spread the use of cheats. If it can be done another way, it should be.

As far as character balance, I just don't think thats gonna fly at all. Think about it, if you nerf kirby, kirby mains aren't gonna wanna play the new version. Same goes for any character you nerf. I agree that more good stages would be great to have, and I don't think anyone could find a reason to be upset at more stages. But changing the characters themselves is actually making a new game, which would just create a rift in the community. And let's face it, we aren't big enough to do that.

Top Bottom