• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Urbana-Champaign Midwest Smashfest 64 (date:July 21st at 1pm)

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
So, my roommates and I want to throw a tournament similar (in size) to the Norcal tournament that just happened last week. I hope Battlecow and his herd will be down, but will anyone else be interested?

DETAILS:

Date: Saturday, July 21st at 1pm (roughly)
Address: 709 W Green St, Apartment B14, Urbana, IL, 61801
Parking: Look at this map:

http://tinyurl.com/c2rf2me

You can park anywhere east of Lincoln Ave for free on weekends. The best parking spots would be on Green St, High St, Busey Ave, and Coler Ave.

Contact Info:
You can just send me a PM, or if you really want to, here's my number: 847-452-1445
My name is Mark.

Housing:
If it's necessary, we can probably house a few people. We have a spare room with a bed, three couches, and plenty of floor space for the plebeian scrubs.

Setups (as of July 5th):
2 CRT TVs
3 N64s
1 recording setup
1 setup from Battlecow
1 setup (with recording) from KnitePhox

Event details:
It'll probably just be a regular smashfest with a bunch of friendlies (and if Battlecow's going, thousands of MMs). However, we could have a small $5-$10 entry tourney if we get enough people interested.

I was also thinking we could do an Urbana-Champaign vs Chicago (or not Urbana-Champaign) crew battle lol. That'd be hilarious.

Tourney rules:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295918
I'd like to emphasize the rules on pausing because these are also the house rules:
Pausing is discouraged, and should only be done at the end of a stock, if at all. At other times, the pauser loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock, the pauser loses two stocks.
If you just got owned by a wickedly delicious combo and you pause for a second then there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you pause for no reason in the middle of fighting then you have to follow the rules even if it is last stock.

Results:
It was $5 entry and a 60-30-10 split for top 3.

1. Firo..................(lost to Battlecow once to force second set in GF)
2. Battlecow..........(lost to Firo twice)
3. Knitephox..........(lost to Firo and Battlecow)
4. AJ.....................(lost to Firo and Battlecow)
5. Rumbly..............(lost to Knitephox and AJ)
5. Solo..................(lost to Rumbly and Battlecow)
5. MeowMeow.......(lost to Solo and Knitephox)
8. Komotonoto....(lost to Battlecow once. see below)
9. ComboBlaze......(lost to Knitephox and AJ)
9. Fynal................(lost to AJ and MeowMeow)

Because we only had 10 people, I had to randomly choose 4 people to play an extra game in Winner's. Those were Knitephox/ComboBlaze and AJ/Fynal

Komo placing "8th" (because I don't know where to put him) was stupid because he was supposed to play AJ in Loser's, but it never happened. I told them to play then a little while later I asked if it happened yet, and then someone told me that AJ won. So, I had AJ advancing in the bracket without ever playing Komo so Komo in fact only lost once. My bad on that one, Komo. I think it stemmed from the fact that Komo kind of sounds like "Combo" as in ComboBlaze and AJ played ComboBlaze already in bracket.

Videos:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
So, my roommates and I want to throw a tournament similar (in size) to the Norcal tournament that just happened last week. I hope Battlecow and his herd will be down, but will anyone else be interested? If I can gather enough interest, I'll update this topic with some more info.
if its on a day that's ok with firo's schedule i might drive down with him, who knows; still gotta setup a small smashfest at my place.

OH YEAH COMBOBLAZE AND MY BUDDY KOMO TOO.

if ZHIN is in town maybe he'll come as well, would be cool if all of us went

firo

Smash Ace
Dang! Knite we should talk. Would be nice to see some of my friends who are staying in the area for the summer also. Also please let this be on a weekend.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Right now, I'm thinking Saturday, July 28th. And firo, I've wanted to play you ever since Battlecow told me you were the best 64 player in Illinois, and that was seven months ago.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
uhg. myself and family are leaving for the rest of the summer on sunday the 22nd. If you could make the date a week earlier (Saturday the 21st) i'd love to go!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Sounds great for me and most of mine

We should make it a tournament instead of a smashfest, more hype and we'd get more people

need a venue tho

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
How many people are you thinking would come? I was thinking 15-20 (if that) which can definitely fit in my apartment. If there's any more than that, I guess a venue would be needed. Personally I don't want to go through the trouble of finding a small venue, charging people a venue fee, and getting kicked out at a certain time, but I'll look into it. If it's cheap and spacious then why not?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i think tournament would be neat but pointless if there were to be just a 16bracket; in that case, a smashfest is waaaaay superior imo. like 5 setups and some recording going on...aweyeah.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
This sounds awesome... I may be down for this. It's a bit of a hike for me, but I've never played against any good smash players on console yet and would really like to. I live in the Aurora area. Anyone else live in the northern IL area?

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
i think tournament would be neat but pointless if there were to be just a 16bracket; in that case, a smashfest is waaaaay superior imo. like 5 setups and some recording going on...aweyeah.
I'm of the same mindset. So far, I have 3 64s (with Smash Bros), 2 CRT TVs (one is 36" and the other is 20" I believe), and 1 capture card so if half of the people that come bring setups, we'll have more than enough.

This sounds awesome... I may be down for this. It's a bit of a hike for me, but I've never played against any good smash players on console yet and would really like to. I live in the Aurora area. Anyone else live in the northern IL area?
My roommates are from Naperville, and I'm from Algonquin, but we'll all be down in Urbana by the time this roles around.

I can also house at least four people if need be.

firo

Smash Ace
As far as I know the 21st works for me unless my family comes in that weekend. Would need a way to get there but there's always the train or knite/someone who I can get a ride from. I'd be able to bring a console.

Solo, do you to go to U of I, or are in Urbana year round? If that's the case then we should definitely play once I'm back down there for school.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
As far as I know the 21st works for me unless my family comes in that weekend. Would need a way to get there but there's always the train or knite/someone who I can get a ride from. I'd be able to bring a console.

Solo, do you to go to U of I, or are in Urbana year round? If that's the case then we should definitely play once I'm back down there for school.
I go to U of I. Senior in Computer Science.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Han, are your roommates living in Naperville for the summer? I live really close to Naperville and drive through there all the time. Let me know if you guys wanna do something small some time up here in the burbs before you go!

firo

Smash Ace
I go to U of I. Senior in Computer Science.
Nice, I'm going to be a junior in CS in the fall. If I knew you were around I definitely would have hit you up for some games. Who knows, we might even know some of the same people. Hopefully we'll play in July but regardless look out for some PMs from me during the year;.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Han, are your roommates living in Naperville for the summer? I live really close to Naperville and drive through there all the time. Let me know if you guys wanna do something small some time up here in the burbs before you go!
I was just in Naperville visiting a friend who's leaving the country for a year in a few days. No time for smash though. One of my roommates is in Argentina and will return to Naperville at the end of June so he might be down for smash then, and the other will be back in Urbana tomorrow.

Hopefully we'll play in July but regardless look out for some PMs from me during the year;.
Oh, I can't wait.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
So, this is still happening and we need to settle the date.

21st or 28th

Personally, I'm for the 28th, but 21st is still doable.

dgameman1

Smash Journeyman
So, my roommates and I want to throw a tournament similar (in size) to the Norcal tournament that just happened last week. I hope Battlecow and his herd will be down, but will anyone else be interested? If I can gather enough interest, I'll update this topic with some more info.
Me and my two friends will be coming =]

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
What's the address?
Any money needed?
Food?
Just wondering the specifics =D
I'm excited :p
I'll give specifics in a few days, but to answer some of your questions:

Depending on how many people come, we can do a $5 to $10 entry for a little tournament (that's what I'm hoping for anyways). Any other money needed would be for money matches if you want. Otherwise, we'll just be playing friendlies all day.

I'm not going to feed you lol
However, there are plenty of restaurants in the urbana-champaign area and plenty that deliver.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Ooh ooh tournament tournament tournament! YAY!

Also bring $$$ if you wanna be like Han solo and make a living by beating me in jank MM's *grumble grumble*

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
One does not simply money match Battlecow. His edgeguards are more than just fsmash and dtilt. His black falcon has never known defeat. It's been said his nose is that of a bloodhound's, and the scent he smells best is...fear.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Just updated the OP.

Alright, are you able to say at least what city it's gonna be in?
I wanna know how far it's gonna be from me.
I just noticed it says you're from California. This will be in Illinois. I just said that it'll be similar to the Norcal tourney that happened a while ago. Maybe you thought that it would be in Norcal?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol I made a post making fun of how Krynxe edited dgameman1's censor dodge but not the racial slur censor dodge right above it, but it got 502'd. And now it's edited, glad you caught yourself I guess

Norcal doesn't have Battlecow though...
Yeah poor Illinois :troll:

TheMagistrate

Smash Apprentice
So, my roommates and I want to throw a tournament similar (in size) to the Norcal tournament that just happened last week. I hope Battlecow and his herd will be down, but will anyone else be interested?

Setups (as of July 5th):
2 CRT TVs
3 N64s
1 recording setup

Myself and a friend really would like to come to this as well. We are from Fort Wayne, Indiana, so it wouldn't be too bad of a drive for us. We could also bring at least one 64 and SSB. Id really like to play some console games with some phenomenal players. I would look forward to getting smashed on

TM

Olikus

Smash Champion
TM...

Is it his sig or does he provide poemon attacks? The mystery of life I guess.

Top Bottom