• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Kid "15 second ragequit" Goggles has informed me that SnowMan wishes to take over the OP of the thread, I just need a confirmation on that so I can merge one of his posts into the OP.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
also, Cura is going to need someone to help him out with the brawl PR.

As Im going to rescind my efforts from it.

Its a pretty simple job really. all you gotta do is, hit up cura on aim every time you feel like the list needs to be updated. He has a chart or graph or something that notes who every body has ever played, wins and losses. at that point he'll tell you what he thinks the list should be, and if you have any disagreements with his list, you discuss it back and forth with him for a while until you come to an agreement.

Pretty straight forward.

Dont really see a need to put any work/effort into this kind of thing when Im reppin regionless now.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Hope I can attend Axs lol. Won't look too good if people from the region don't go.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I really do not care about the PR, but I just find it really funny how you post about knowing you've got a long ways to go, then the next post is putting yourself under Honorable Mentions. What exactly have you done to deserve a spot there?

But I guess that's the point. You don't need to do anything to be there. Don't fool yourself. Melee is such an evolved game that it may take years for someone just to reach average level play. I know if it was me, I wouldn't be satisfied, or even think about substituting something weak like "honorable mentions" in place of my real goal.

EDIT: It may seem like I'm being extremely harsh, but honestly if you intend to rise up, when you get to regional and higher levels, post progression like that is what will get you laughed at, except most people won't bother explaining it to you. Since I might as well be regionless too, I don't mind receiving some hate from Upstate.

Also, you mentioned yourself before Spam, Juni, or Silver. If you're up there, might as well throw Jtam up there too. Two tournaments and directly beating you, why isn't his name under honorable mentions? LOL

EDITx2: This is a power rankings thread. Other people come to the thread looking for the best competition upstate has to offer. If you're seriously gonna run it, I would recommend trying to be as impartial as possible. You're sacrificing yourself to run this; it's not your tool to help gauge your personal progress.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
it doesn't take years to reach average level play in Melee, even if you start from the bottom

my friend Rigel, who plays other fighting games well, became average in Melee in just a month of playing with me sometimes

once you have the technical aspects down, you're already average because you're capable of placing in the middle and beating people because you know how to combo them, recover, etc.

high level play is achieved when you are good at reading habits and punishing them and mix up your own game a lot

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
inui i will play the chars to make us win (fox puff falcon u name it)

against these nyers that char can be captain falcon sometimes esp some of them :)

my name should be somewhere in the OP because i **** people from all over the country and ppl at least know who i am if i were to yell out at a tourny mad smashers would come chill n smoke lol

canada cali mass florida maine ma bois in those states smash it up yallll

ive been around the same skill level technically for like 6 years its all mindgames at a certain point and not choking and really focusing there are many factors and sometimes its just disposition somebody will be better than you just naturally.

edit: sai you ma boi boss jiggs ditto mm and a mm v my marth and one v falco and one v falcon also one against my fox and zelda

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I did want to do a rant right now about getting better and how "I wanna be the very best like noone ever was" is not always the right attitude (it works for jesse i guess lol) because keepin it REAL its not just practice and playing that can make you better as I said earlier some people are just more inclined to do well, be it in mindgames, tech skill, spacing, w/e they just don't have those inhibitions that some smashers have. you can call it luck of the draw or dedication but in reality it takes somethin special inside to make you a champion and not every1's got it

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'll be in New York thursday Oct. 14; I'm looking for housing for that night because the day after I'm getting into the Inuimobile for a carpool down to MLG DC. Can anyone help me out?
Don't let me wander the streets of NY with all my luggage that late at night.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I'll be in New York thursday Oct. 14; I'm looking for housing for that night because the day after I'm getting into the Inuimobile for a carpool down to MLG DC. Can anyone help me out?
Don't let me wander the streets of NY with all my luggage that late at night.
Id love to help but im moving all day. I also dont think your in the correct thread. This is upstate NY. I dont think inui will be arranging a pick up from upstate for you.

This thread will probably help you more.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208594

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
I guess it's better Cura has this ****.

And Dudu, I put me on there because people are beginning to know who I am. A couple of months ago, no one knew my name. It's a mention, not a PR. Doesn't matter how good I am.

I wanted to run this thread because I want to help out our region, because I care about our growth, not in Smash but getting along as well. -___-;

Also, how can you think that was my goal to get on there? lol Of course I want on the PR.

Get off your high horse. Your views are so ****ed.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ive been around the same skill level technically for like 6 years its all mindgames at a certain point
^^^Why I think I can take you now.
I think its a mindset certain players have and other dont.
I think a lot of it is also the brain you were born with.

When I look at the people I play smash with. and I look at the people that excel, I see people like jesse, our friend PJ that went to HS with him refered to him as a genious once. I see neil, who, dispite his laziness and douchebaggery, is incredibly intelligent. I see san who is an engineering major at a nationally acclaimed college. And even if nobody besides tsai will admit it, I know Im definitely smart outside the game and its translated to in game as well.

Some people just have limits to how good they can be in the game sometimes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I can already tell, this tourney coming up is gonna be just like the old days, where I had to play you 1st round in every tourney, except your gonna be the one that has to fight through losers bracket this time around =P

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
i just cannot wait to play everyone again with some real chars not like zelda bull**** lol sorry guys shes a bs char sorry i pulled that stint

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I guess it's better Cura has this ****.

And Dudu, I put me on there because people are beginning to know who I am. A couple of months ago, no one knew my name. It's a mention, not a PR. Doesn't matter how good I am.

I wanted to run this thread because I want to help out our region, because I care about our growth, not in Smash but getting along as well. -___-;

Also, how can you think that was my goal to get on there? lol Of course I want on the PR.

Get off your high horse. Your views are so ****ed.
What exactly is wrong with my views? Rochester is such a tight community, everyone's made a big deal about it, you guys are bros etc. I get it.

What I'm trying to make you realize is that until you get your actual smash skill up to par, you shouldn't even think about how big your name (or ego) is. People in the small community around you know your name? That's cool, but why should it matter to anyone else in another region? Or even a few hours away?

Everyone in this region is chill; I enjoy the company of everyone at tournaments, but the disconnect between Wanting To Be The Best, and actual skill is so large that I can't help but make fun of you when you talk big then underperform at tournaments.

And honorable mention implies that you were close to making the PR like Pyro was. Perhaps you should put yourself under the "ordinary mention" category.

EDIT: MANA YOU HAD BETTER KEEP PLAYING ZELDA
I accept all those MMs for $1 each, and I challenge you to another: Zelda dittos. You had better be practicing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
OMG IVE NEVER SEEN TSAI GO IN LIKE THIS.

UNDERPERFORM?! ORDINARY MENTION?!

dang tsai, when did you get so heartless lol!

And in all fairness I cant really disagree with anything he said so far.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
About the same time I stopped caring for the community, after getting trash talked by Foy (of all people).

I'm friends with people I've talked to, and that's a lot of you. The rest, I now consider you mere competitors.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
About the same time I stopped caring for the community, after getting trash talked by Foy (of all people).

I'm friends with people I've talked to, and that's a lot of you. The rest, I now consider you mere competitors.

Sounds like you need to get like me on this regionless tip right now.

Same exact thing happened to me when I realised the vast majority of people were going to trash talk me for no reason no matter who I played.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Dudu may disapprove about some of the things upstates says. However I know dudu isnt the type of person that would abandon a region Lol. Besides dudu love Central NY! <3! Its just western ny he may or may not have a problem.

Also, I agree with dudu completely. Sorry snowman, Its amazing that your improving and have dedication but that make you just like everyone else in the region who is improving and getting dedicated. Honorable mentions (in terms of the PR) should be players who have accomplished great things, came close to making the pr, or should be ranked if they were more active situations like that. If we went with your ideals on honorable mentions than we'd have a list bigger than the pr.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I don't talk big and if I do, I'm clearly kidding around. I don't trash talk anymore, either. I clearly don't have a big ego as well. After the tourney I knew where I stood, I knew my faults, and I know what to work on.

I personally think honorable mention should be those who are part of this close knit community but who aren't on the PR. Maybe we should just come up with another section, then.

All I want from this region is none of this high school PR drama.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Respect.

You know, I've been posting nothing but hate but if you find me at tournament I'm not nearly as arrogant as you may think.

I post my version of the truth because it's what I really believe. People out there won't support you in any way unless they know you, and in the end smash is a competitive game. It may not be as hateful as other games, but believe me people think many of the same things, just not aloud.

I do really want to improve, but if anyone asks me for friendlies I'll play until the day is done. I'm not so much of an *** that I will trashtalk and not help anyone else improve.

WillE

Smash Cadet
Woah sounds like you guys are really butt hurt over some trash talk, so I'll try to keep it cool this time.

Lets get the common opinion down: Snowman is a dumb ***.

Here are my supporting facts to this argument:
1. He thinks hes good.
2. He thinks he deserves an honorable mention.
3. He thinks hes good because people know his name.
4. He is going to read this post and still think he's good.

Fame through sucking and fame through winning are two different things.

Snowman you just suck.
sorry bro (lulz)

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
Woah sounds like you guys are really butt hurt over some trash talk, so I'll try to keep it cool this time.

Lets get the common opinion down: Snowman is a dumb ***.

Here are my supporting facts to this argument:
1. He thinks hes good.
2. He thinks he deserves and honorable mention.
3. He thinks hes good because people know his name.
4. He is going to read this post and still think he's good.

Fame through sucking and fame through winning are two different things.

Snowman you just suck.
sorry bro (lulz)
If people really think this, then let me clear things up

1. I know I'm bad, but I'm improving. Read my previous posts or if you've hung out with me, you know I'm always saying I'm not ****. Because again, I know my faults and how bad I am. There are countless posts about me saying I'm terrible, almost none saying I'm any good.
2. Did you read what my thoughts on what honorable mentions should be?
3. What?
4. Uhh, not really, buddy.

I'll say it one more time. I know my place and where I stand, I'm not good at Melee. Not yet anyway.

I put myself on the honorable mentions because I'm part of this community, that's the way I think the honorable mentions should be. A lot more people should be on there as well with the way I view it, I just didn't throw them on there because I wanted to get that post up fast.

WillE

Smash Cadet
If people really think this, then let me clear things up

1. I know I'm bad, but I'm improving. Read my previous posts or if you've hung out with me, you know I'm always saying I'm not ****. Because again, I know my faults and how bad I am. There are countless posts about me saying I'm terrible, almost none saying I'm any good.
2. Did you read what my thoughts on what honorable mentions should be?
3. What?
4. Uhh, not really, buddy.
1.No I will not read your post again.
2.No I did not read what your thoughts were.
3.What?
4.Don't call me buddy

btw....

u mad?

WillE

Smash Cadet
Dude wtf im trying so hard to make you mad
ima get mad casue i cant get you mad but im pretty sure youre mad youre jsut telling me youre not mad

Top Bottom