• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Update 1.0.4 Released!

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I'm incredibly excited about my two most-used characters getting majorly buffed. They weren't exactly bad before, but using Ike in particular always felt a little like fighting uphill. I'm not really sure Shulk needed the buffs, since he's so new and untested, but I won't complain.

I imagine in the next couple days FG will be a flood of Ikes, Shulks, and Meta Knights.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
I swear to god if sheik gets nerfed due to all the scrubs complaining about her i'm foing to rage quit. sakurai already ruined marth and falco for me as is and i can't tolerate getting another character i actually enjoy immensely trashed again
Sorry that Sora would dare balance a top tier character with broken mechanics such as a chaingrab that gives huge payoffs. Also, while Marth and Falco were nerfed in 4, they aren't nearly as bad as people like to make them out to be, they just aren't as good as they once were

Man **** Sora for balancing right?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I find it weird, deplorable even, that people were throwing their arms out in joy at the possibility of balance patching.

Yet we're still ignoring Melee SD Remix and Balanced Braw.

Shon McCloud

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alphonsen
Any DK or Fox Buffs? Fox kinda need something like this to help but DK? DK REALLY NEEDS a bowser treatment!

Can someone tell me their differences? If any?

darkchip1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkchip1
Has anything been confirmed for ROB yet?
I feel like my priorities are completely backwards today, and my grab feels impossible to land for some reason.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Ike's Sliding Counter is gone (didn't check Palutena yet), Link and Toon Link can no longer cancel lag by tossing Bombs with down special, Rosalina's Luma takes 5 more seconds to respawn, Peach can no longer laglessly pull turnips.
There might be more, but Villager's Lloyd momentum glitch is still in and Metaknight's hitboxes seem unchanged.

That's all I know so far, but it looks like our worst fears have been realized: Nintendo is hellbent on eradicating ANY unintended advanced techs that we come across. :(

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Ike's Sliding Counter is gone (didn't check Palutena yet), Link and Toon Link can no longer cancel lag by tossing Bombs with down special, Rosalina's Luma takes 5 more seconds to respawn, Peach can no longer laglessly pull turnips.
There might be more, but Villager's Lloyd momentum glitch is still in and Metaknight's hitboxes seem unchanged.

That's all I know so far, but it looks like our worst fears have been realized: Nintendo is hellbent on eradicating ANY unintended advanced techs that we come across. :(
lol your worst fear.
i happen to enjoy intended techs that everybody has availiable.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
lol your worst fear.
Listen: COMBOING was an unintentional game quirk when it first showed up.

Having cool little things that characters can do that AREN'T obvious at a glance is GOOD for the game.
It allows every player to develop their own unique play styles, and it gives players a chance to take their main farther than they ever thought possible.

Its fine to fix things that are OBVIOUSLY broken, but until they become a problem it shouldn't be touched.
BLC with Link didn't exactly turn him into a super star or anything, but taking it out makes some match ups WAAAAY harder for him to win.

Oh, forgot to mention, pretty darn sure that Greninja's Shadow Sneak Canceled DAir is gone too.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Warning Received
Sorry that Sora would dare balance a top tier character with broken mechanics such as a chaingrab that gives huge payoffs. Also, while Marth and Falco were nerfed in 4, they aren't nearly as bad as people like to make them out to be, they just aren't as good as they once were

Man **** Sora for balancing right?
shut up ps all star noob

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
lol your worst fear.

Having cool little things that characters can do that AREN'T obvious at a glance is GOOD for the game.
It allows every player to develop their own unique play styles, and it gives players a chance to take their main farther than they ever thought possible.

Its fine to fix things that are OBVIOUSLY broken, but until they become a problem it shouldn't be touched.
BLC with Link didn't exactly turn him into a super star or anything, but taking it out makes some match ups WAAAAY harder for him to win.

Oh, forgot to mention, pretty darn sure that Greninja's Shadow Sneak Canceled DAir is gone too.
Careful with these opinions in this thread. We don't need a flame war starting here on the controversy of handling/patching advanced techs. Keep the thread on Patch changes.

And yeah, most of Greninja's Shadow Sneak techs are crushed.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
DACUS is gone, which means RIP offensive mobility.

Welp, camping just got a whollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle lot better.

Honestly the removal of a lot of horizontal offense is going to be so bad for the meta-game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly the removal of a lot of horizontal offense is going to be so bad for the meta-game.
Some people are saying it's still possible, just a lot harder now.
It's kinda hard to tell when you don't have another stick to be able to do it accurately.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet

Relax. You just need to hold the jump button now.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

lol if my statement was not obvioulsy opiniontated enough ill say it again I am okay with it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Some people are saying it's still possible, just a lot harder now.
It's kinda hard to tell when you don't have another stick to be able to do it accurately.
True, but with DACUS gone, less movement options than 64, Melee, or Brawl, we're essentially left in stationary situations.

It's as if the team is trying to make Smash like other fighting games, instead of what it really is at heart: a platformer.

Fighting games are defensive and deliberate most of the time, and honestly, that just doesn't fit Smash's style IMO. Now I'm not saying the development team/hackers should cut out and ignore everything from traditional fighting games, but they're doing it to cool stuff that I think adds depth and options like DACUS and other such things from 64, Melee, and Brawl that made those games more interesting, which is a really bad look.

I mean, I get that some characters should play like traditional fighting game characters (namely the HOSS characters), but we need some rushdown close quarters characters like Fox in Melee or Kirby in 64, as well as some spacing heavy rush characters like Marth in Melee and Brawl as well. Character diversity is a very integral part of gameplay, and removing that by taking out DACUS gets ride of some much needed diversity, which is something this game lacks (the characters, especially in the air, all feel way too similar IMO, for instance).

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I'm incredibly excited about my two most-used characters getting majorly buffed. They weren't exactly bad before, but using Ike in particular always felt a little like fighting uphill. I'm not really sure Shulk needed the buffs, since he's so new and untested, but I won't complain.

I imagine in the next couple days FG will be a flood of Ikes, Shulks, and Meta Knights.
Meta knight got a buff?

EDIT: just seen it, I wish they made his damage more appealing and his delays less.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Relax. You just need to hold the jump button then.
Jumping and approaching with melee attacks in this game is almost always a bad tactic.

Shield > grab (or attack) almost always beats it. The "L/R+A combo" if you will.

The only time jumping is really useful for approaching in Smash 4 is:
1. When you have a character with melee attacks with more range than your foes (ie: using Shulk against Kirby)
2. (The most likely scenario) When you use projectiles to approach and attack said foe.
3. (The rarest scenario) When your opponent has not enough shield to block your incoming attacks and is forced to move (this works with either projectiles or Melee attacks).
4. To land in front of the foe and close the distance (note: this might not work, because they can move as well), and you could be forced to redo this.
5. A combination of 1+3, 2+3, 4+1, 4+2, or 3+4.

This game was already projectile heavy (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I think the removal of ground movement really hurts that. I always have felt options in Smash for how to do things were a huge part of what makes it special, and what makes the offensive and defensive flow so interesting. It truly is unlike any game franchise ever made.

The lack of approach options is something nearly every smash competitive player suggested be fixed up after playing the game at E3 and Best Buy, and honestly, removing one of them shows how much they listened (hint: not much). While I'm okay with the above generally being the rule, I would like to see a few characters that are the "exceptions". "Exceptions" to rules with characters can lead to interesting match ups, approaches, and variety of styles, and I want to see as much variety as I can in Smash.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Jumping and approaching with melee attacks in this game is almost always a bad tactic.

Shield > grab (or attack) almost always beats it. The "L/R+A combo" if you will.

The only time jumping is really useful for approaching in Smash 4 is:
1. When you have a character with melee attacks with more range than your foes (ie: using Shulk against Kirby)
2. (The most likely scenario) When you use projectiles to approach and attack said foe.
3. (The rarest scenario) When your opponent has not enough shield to block your incoming attacks and is forced to move (this works with either projectiles or Melee attacks).
4. To land in front of the foe and close the distance (note: this might not work, because they can move as well), and you could be forced to redo this.
5. A combination of 1+3, 2+3, 4+1, 4+2, or 3+4.

This game was already projectile heavy (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I think the removal of ground movement really hurts that. I always have felt options in Smash for how to do things were a huge part of what makes it special, and what makes the offensive and defensive flow so interesting. It truly is unlike any game franchise ever made.

The lack of approach options is something nearly every smash competitive player suggested be fixed up after playing the game at E3 and Best Buy, and honestly, removing one of them shows how much they listened (hint: not much). While I'm okay with the above generally being the rule, I would like to see a few characters that are the "exceptions". "Exceptions" to rules with characters can lead to interesting match ups, approaches, and variety of styles, and I want to see as much variety as I can in Smash.
You misunderstood my post, maybe I was vague.
I meant to say in order to DACUS, you just need to hold jump as you input your up smash. It's easy to do honestly, just a slight change.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Are regrabs nerfed or is this something that has already been around? I grabbed my opponent, they broke away, and I went for another grab, but it went through them.

BBC7

Smash Ace
This is what I'm hearing from Mega Man(not 100% accurate):

+ Larger U-Air hitbox(this has been confirmed as more than a graphical change)
+ Jab, F-Tilt and Nair have more range(unconfirmed)
+ Fair, Bair and Dair kill earlier
+ Less IASA frames when all 3 Down B's are thrown
+ Thrown Plant Barrier can combo into a U-Tilt
+ Mega Man cannot get combo'd after grab release(he didn't have it as bad as Wario but he still had it)
+ No Phantom Lag after Up + B > Nair while landing.

- Rush Cancelling is gone (Rush Escape still exists though which is almost just as good)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You misunderstood my post, maybe I was vague.
I meant to say in order to DACUS, you just need to hold jump as you input your up smash. It's easy to do honestly, just a slight change.
Oh so the timing is just different but it still is in=???

Okay, I'll give that a go.
Meta knight got a buff?
Quote from here since it explains it better than I ever hope to.
:4metaknight:
(The following has been tested on Pit, not Mario)
-N-Air has been buffed from 7% to 10% and now KOs ~45% earlier.
-Dimensional Cape sends the target in a more horizontal angle and now KOs ~15% earlier.
-Forward Throw has been changed, it now has two hitboxes that total 9% on all characters. It previously did 3% on some character and 9% on others, so it's more of a fix than anything else.
-Back Throw has received slightly increased knockback and KOs ~5% earlier.
-Back-Air's knockback has been increased a lot and now KOs a whopping ~30% earlier.
-Forward-Air can no longer spike.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I really hate the Bowsercide nerf! As if the move wasn't difficult enough to perform, now I die from it? You've got to be joking, Sakurai!!!!
Thats the punishmnt you get for using a cheap shot move every match
Sorry to be rude Ill restate what I said
They probaly did that beause they noiced how many people online were doing that to get a cheap win

Last edited:

Spirst

Are regrabs nerfed or is this something that has already been around? I grabbed my opponent, they broke away, and I went for another grab, but it went through them.
Always been around for this game. Makes chain grabs obsolete

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Thats the punishmnt you get for using a cheap shot move every match
It's not a cheap shot move. First of, it has uses outside of Bowsercide, both customs are recovery and great KO moves. Second it can only succeed if you have less damage than your opponent, which is only ever gonna happen on your fresh stock, assuming you died second because Bowser is extremely easy to rack damage on. Third, you need to have not less stocks than them. Sure, if all that criteria is met it's a free win, but if they're above 70% it's technically not, because you have a ton of moves that could have killed them regardless.

Now it's turned. If at any time you use it by accident, they can literally get caught by purpose, and you lose the game for landing a hit. Which is the dumbest thign ever. If you land a grab on Rosa, Luma's attack doesn't kill most of the time. If you land Flying Slam, you lose a stock, and half the cast can freely recover from that point. You lose a KO move and in the case of Dash Slam, a recovery, all because people were complaining about a move. IN fact, at least you can use GFlying slam in the middle of a stage, but with Dash Slam you misclick and die no matter where you are(except Ferox). At least it doesn't affect tourney results, since the win should still be given to Bowser.

Couldn't they just make it Sudden Death? i'd be fine with that, and so would a lot of people. Both sides stilk have a chance to win so it's not unfair for you or them, so you don't feel bad, nor rage. And in FG, Bowser isn't half bad in Sudden Death.

Last edited:
Top Bottom