• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UpB cancel - fair

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I've tried this a few times and pulled it off. Turns out the upB cancel does combo but I think a full jump fair at full stretch is the only thing that'll connect. I've tried it on a few characers, for marth and (PAL) fox I'm almost certain it works.

HOORAY FOR UPB CANCELLING!!!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
pics/vids or it didnt happen. Or it might actually be pal only or something, cause I sure cant find any chaaraacter at any % that gets comboed by that.

>.>

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
CO had a player a couple years back that apparently was able to up-b cancel to another up-b cancel. It was a worthless combo, but they thought he was tight **** for doing it. I still don't get how he did it. Doc lags too much after. Maybe we could try stupid **** like edge-canceling it?

Oh, hey, there's an idea. Edge-cancelled cape. Does it work?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
nope. Air and ground animation are the same, so you cant edge cancel it (or something to that effect)

You do have capedashing though, which is pretty kool :D

__
AND YEAH BB, IM WAITING FOR THIS VID MANG, CAUSE IM NOT A BELIEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i can upb canel to fair OOS. i do it in friendlies a lot actually. >_> if you catch them with bad DI they get ***** from it ^^

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
the arguement here is whether up+b cancel -> fair combos. I dont give 2 s**ts if it works if it doesnt combo because as much time as it takes, that's just asking for trouble.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I was working with a thing a while back I called the "Victra Combo", not knowing that there was a player called victra. None the less, it was used to keep people back from the ledge. Pretty much, last hit of the Up-B comboed into a ledgehop fair. Pretty effective. They've kinda really gotta be sitting on the ledge though.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
no offense dogy, but aren't you always saying we can't play doc in a "cookie cut" manner? a lot of "combos" in smash aren't that legit and can be gotten out of somehow or way. but if you happen to do a upb cancel to get someone off of you or for w/e reason, fair is probably the best follow up. it might not combo, but it can at least. just saying.

irish mafia with 666!

SmashMac

Smash Lord
The fact of the matter is that the move is highly situational. I'm pretty sure what Dogy means is that since there's no set combo to it and the fact that it's so situational just makes it kind of not worth the risks of failing it. I think that this move shouldn't be used unless out of shield offensively (primarily against Falco shield-****), but even then what's to say why you didn't just grab? Then again the spacing always counts, and the up+B cancel's hitbox is pretty nice for those kind of situations. I think the up+B cancel can lead to fairs, but only if the opponent doesn't DI and it's a character like shiek or falco xD ... who does that? Well if they're not expecting it (which they usually aren't), then everyone does but then again I'm sure they have some kind of directional input on their analog stick. You could also up+B cancel a weighted character, follow his/her tech and fair that way too since the fact that you pulled off an up+B cancel usually will shock anyone. It's too situational to tell that's why it's not legit to say up+B - fair. It can happen though.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Maybe I just play the wrong version of Melee, but there is no "bad" way to DI an upb cancel. I've had a friend not DI, DI towards me, and DI away. The only time the DI was different was when it was away from me. Every time, though, they were too far away to follow up.

I've noticed that upb canceling randomly sets up for things, but DI isn't what does it. I'm not sure what does, but I generally just upb and am satisfied with the 15% it does, knamean? Still, if you can figure out what makes it so upb cancel links into uair/fair, lemme know, and I'll get that **** down quick.

nope. Air and ground animation are the same, so you cant edge cancel it (or something to that effect)

You do have capedashing though, which is pretty kool :D

__
AND YEAH BB, IM WAITING FOR THIS VID MANG, CAUSE IM NOT A BELIEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lololol, I read BB as BlazBlue.

Whut's capedashing? How does I do it?

no offense dogy, but aren't you always saying we can't play doc in a "cookie cut" manner? a lot of "combos" in smash aren't that legit and can be gotten out of somehow or way. but if you happen to do a upb cancel to get someone off of you or for w/e reason, fair is probably the best follow up. it might not combo, but it can at least. just saying.

irish mafia with 666!
No offense, but there's a difference between false combos and ******** set-ups that will never work. Just sayin', if you're catching people with things like fthrow to fair consistently, you need to get some better comp.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Isn't there a clip in perfect control where a Doc does a bunch of Up-B cancel chains to a Bowser on FD?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
combos like 0-death by marth on fox/falco aren't combos and yet they still work..... so doesn't matter.

funny stuff, i love doin this in friendlies XD

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

irish mafia with 666!
Offense? Pfft. I dont get offended by opinions and discussions. You're entitled to yours like I am mine. Im not upset at all.

__

When I said you cant play a cookie cutter doc, I mean that in the sense of trying to play him like a fox, like alot of people try (or really like ganon as some people with doc knowledge would try).

If there was like, a specific doc that worked so well (and there are some now), I guarentee most people would be playing like them and being more successful, that's just how things go. Monkey see monkey do.

I.e. HMW has been doing pretty **** well, so i guarentee you'll see people do more stuff that he does (i know for a **** fact I will).

Shroomed has been doing pretty good over there too, so the same's going to happen to some of his stuff.

But it's not the same as like "Oh, I see all foxes are just running up to capfal and just staying in his face, so I have to do that with Doc to beat capfal." Yes it sounds ********, but I've seen people try it.
The fact of the matter is that the move is highly situational. I'm pretty sure what Dogy means is that since there's no set combo to it and the fact that it's so situational just makes it kind of not worth the risks of failing it. I think that this move shouldn't be used unless out of shield offensively (primarily against Falco shield-****), but even then what's to say why you didn't just grab? Then again the spacing always counts, and the up+B cancel's hitbox is pretty nice for those kind of situations. I think the up+B cancel can lead to fairs, but only if the opponent doesn't DI and it's a character like shiek or falco xD ... who does that? Well if they're not expecting it (which they usually aren't), then everyone does but then again I'm sure they have some kind of directional input on their analog stick. You could also up+B cancel a weighted character, follow his/her tech and fair that way too since the fact that you pulled off an up+B cancel usually will shock anyone. It's too situational to tell that's why it's not legit to say up+B - fair. It can happen though.
@Smac: "Dogy knows what I mean when I say highly situational." Yes I do, that means it's some bulls**t that you can do and I cant in the exact same scenario cause I swear we dont play the same doc. XD

@Everyone: My thing about up+b cancel -> fair is that i literally CANNOT find a % where it comes, meaning you're going to have to at the least catch up to them before they move out, but realistically you're going to have to beat an aerial.

I mean you say Sheik for example, you cant convince me that the stun leaves sheik in a situation to where she cant f.air (or for heavens sake b.air if she's facing backwards)

@Smac: N***a I'm still mad at you for saying doc can cancel pills. :p
Whut's capedashing? How does I do it?
SH Cape -> Waveland. Nothing crazy, it just didnt have a name. Capelanding kinda sounds misleading.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
i was only able to do this a couple of times but since i couldn't get that move right...i just stuck with regular mario

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
just cuz some stupid ppl (like myself :p) enjoy doing upb cancels, and you can't doesn't really mean you should play regular mario...it's a pretty bad technique in most situations. play doc anyways, he's cooler then mario :chuckle:

mallu000

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to do this many many many times and still it works about 1/10 of the time. Changing up b's direction is quite useful as well for example in edge guarding or in recovery. I don't think you need to use this for combos or anything, it pretty effective to throw some pills and charge after that. Since your opponent is probably quite stunned for that move. That's just my opinion.

Top Bottom