• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

up b is so godly

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
wow i've been testing things and up b seems to be marth's best move...you can up b outta almost anything...that its so good, i'm not sure if there is a post about it but i think mastering the up b and when to use it will up marth's metagame by quite a bit, i use it to grab release KO MK at 100% its so freaking good, and you can get snake and alot of other characters off of you by using it wisely but not spammingly.

i'm also searching for a way to put free damage on snake, so far its f-throw, f-throw, up-throw and up smash it does about 29% damage if everything's fresh...i believe that using up throw on snake can be very useful because snake isn't the best in the air, you take away his ground game and he's left kinda helpless...be smart and follow up with good move, i'd say a grab because no matter if he comes down with a b-air or grenade or by air dodging, you should be able to grab him...if anyone has any suggestions or questions feel free to post

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Err yeah...Hrnut, we all agreed it's like too good in this game.

You're late, but the post is still valid because it gives him more knowledge on how to beat Snake instead of being a lame "last wire hit" thing. Yeah for Snake being popular in Florida.

Bad thing about MK and the grab release is that you can DI up so the thing kinda hits at a corner so MK won't die until much later. Near the ledge it usually doesn't matter though.

<3 Dolphin Slash.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
yeah it is kinda late, but your completely right, I even catch people outta my Nifty DB Forward, Up, Forward, then DS combo =:]

lets see what Dsmash can do can we, I feel alone -_-

Hype

Smash Lord
We all know you can up B out of shield vs anything that deosn't have huge range. but, what can up B out of when you not shielding.

- Falco's chain grab
- Falcos Jab combo
- Dedede's chain grab (unless perfectly timed)
- toon links Fsmash (I think)

what else.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
You can get out of DB, everyone else's infinite jab combo, Sheik's Ftilt Lock, Rob's Dsmash and a bunch of other stuff as well. Does it get out of G&W's turtle?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
you guys are strongly overestimating this move... after marth uses this he is in the air inable to air dodge
the entire time... making him weak to ike's f-air , projectiles,'TLs bair... why dolphin slash when you can just counter? counter you can kinda spam... dolphin slash will get you killed if you spam it.........

(this is for those who ran into this thread and got the wrong idea)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
you guys are strongly overestimating this move... after marth uses this he is in the air inable to air dodge
the entire time... making him weak to ike's f-air , projectiles,'TLs bair... why dolphin slash when you can just counter? counter you can kinda spam... dolphin slash will get you killed if you spam it.........

THIS is a joke post. I see what you did there.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Also, Counter can be stuffed, DS cannot.

But each one has a different purpose.

Also, TL's bair? WTF? Steel, that's pretty serious. There are combos in my Brawl.

PinkMarshMallow

Smash Apprentice
Marth dolphin splash has great priority, but you shouldn't spam this, or use it too much cause you be vulnerable. every so and then sheild to up B to mix thing up =]

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
because counter won't stop a grab, even though he's unable to air dodge the knock back and power is well worth it...it saves you more than counter does...
that makes it good... but it doesent make it godly

Also, Counter can be stuffed, DS cannot.

But each one has a different purpose.

Also, TL's bair? WTF? Steel, that's pretty serious. There are combos in my Brawl.
SPPPEEEEEK PE FIC EEEENNNGGGWWWISSSHHHH!!!!! (speak perfect english)

i didnt get what you said... what is "stuffed"

(btw i changed my post.)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
The above two posters clearly don't understand the utility of this move and how broken it is.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
How the hell do you guys get grabed anyway? arnt you suposed to be wacking people with f-air?

and btw... what happens when you land on the ground after recovery stun? YOU GET GRABED AGAIN!!! Defeating the porpuse of getting out with DS...

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
At some point you are going to get grabbed. Up B will save you from Chain grabs from Falco and possibly Dedede (if the user messes up). Marth's range isn't really exceptional so you might mess up on spacing and get grabbed

Now of course if they bait the Up B then you're going to be punished beyond recognition. But if they don't then they take the punishment. You could always mix it up a bit so you aren't so predictable.

Let's note the most important thing about this move: The 5 invincibility frames
What does it mean?
It means Marth can get out of anything from Tilt locks to Rapid A attacks. He can shield jab combos and quickly Up B before they can do anything else. He can shield ROB's DSmash and G&W's Bair and Up B before the move even finishes. It's such an amazing interrupter. At times you can see an attack coming but you know Counter isn't going to save you because it comes out on frame 5, as opposed to DS's frame 1 activation (hitbox on frame 5). Can you Counter directly out of Shield?

The invincibility and speed of this move makes it very tough to edgeguard Marth as long as he is still in recovery range. It covers his whole front side as well

Plus DS KILLS stuff. The knockback is very good for its speed.

So yeah. DS = just plain amazing

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
The above two posters clearly don't understand the utility of this move and how broken it is.
*nods and agrees with steel* Yea, if Dolphin Slash isnt used like a noob, then ur opponent should b knocked far enuff away to where u can fastfall and regain control of marth. I mean, can u up+b out of a jab combo? I think not. This move is epic....or broken as steel said.

Oh yea, btw, this is brawl not melee. Mashing down+b doesnt work like it used to. DS > counter.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
*nods and agrees with steel* Yea, if Dolphin Slash isnt used like a noob, then ur opponent should b knocked far enuff away to where u can fastfall and regain control of marth. I mean, can u up+b out of a jab combo? I think not. This move is epic....or broken as steel said.

Oh yea, btw, this is brawl not melee. Mashing down+b doesnt work like it used to. DS > counter.
This is the importaint phase in this thread...

DS is good...but not if you spam it like a noob...

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
I think this may be the most worthless post ever written. THAT IS OBVIOUS.
did you read the importaint part???

|
V

Hype

Smash Lord
This is the importaint phase in this thread...

DS is good...but not if you spam it like a noob...
it can if you use DS correctly. When you up B out of shield vs almost any attack (Excluding very long ranged attacks) and you opponent is above around 20% it's actually very safe. you will just about always hit them unless you did somthing very wrong and your ending lag will be gone by the time they get back to you, even if they tech roll towards you.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
We all know you can up B out of shield vs anything that deosn't have huge range. but, what can up B out of when you not shielding.

- Falco's chain grab
- Falcos Jab combo
- Dedede's chain grab (unless perfectly timed)
- toon links Fsmash (I think)

what else.
Ike's jab., Sonic's jab, anything that does not register as a combo in training mode. Including Marth's DB (fourth hit down 100%. And if your opponent is to slow with the DB you can up B out of the other hits too.)

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
You can up b the opponent anytime they physically attack your shield. You can reverse the up b as well, so anytime you are attacked...you can counter back and possibly ko...that is why its broken. Its almost uncounterable and unpredictable when used correctly.

This means that characters that rely on close combat to ko will have to play extra careful when attempting a smash. Even Snake will have to watch his ftilts, Wolf basically cant touch your shield without eating a up b. So many options are available with this one move.

You can use it to ledge stall and if they approach near the edge the move will swipe them and you get a free 7% or so.

You can literally use Dancing Blade, stop it early, watch them react and attack you, and up b them.

About spamming the move....lets see....one time I was playing a Dedede and I used up b to try to escape his chaingrabs. I was literally rapidly spamming up b. DONT. He did a dthrow and stood there...then I took a fsmash <_<.

My favorite way to use a dolphin slash is to shield their 'get up ledge' attack after 100%, and up b out of the shield. Since they are at the way edge and at 100% it KO's Bowser...so no worries. Its also pretty much guarenteed, ledge traps ftw.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
You can up b the opponent anytime they physically attack your shield. You can reverse the up b as well, so anytime you are attacked...you can counter back and possibly ko...that is why its broken. Its almost uncounterable and unpredictable when used correctly.

This means that characters that rely on close combat to ko will have to play extra careful when attempting a smash. Even Snake will have to watch his ftilts, Wolf basically cant touch your shield without eating a up b. So many options are available with this one move.

You can use it to ledge stall and if they approach near the edge the move will swipe them and you get a free 7% or so.

You can literally use Dancing Blade, stop it early, watch them react and attack you, and up b them.

About spamming the move....lets see....one time I was playing a Dedede and I used up b to try to escape his chaingrabs. I was literally rapidly spamming up b. DONT. He did a dthrow and stood there...then I took a fsmash <_<.

My favorite way to use a dolphin slash is to shield their 'get up ledge' attack after 100%, and up b out of the shield. Since they are at the way edge and at 100% it KO's Bowser...so no worries. Its also pretty much guarenteed, ledge traps ftw.
Omg, i'm seriously gonna use that now. Easy legdetraps ftw indeed. :) This move seems obvious but for some reason i dont do it often. And if your opponent gets wise to your trick, you can just walk/run offstage then bair them into a stagespike.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Omg, i'm seriously gonna use that now. Easy legdetraps ftw indeed. :) This move seems obvious but for some reason i dont do it often. And if your opponent gets wise to your trick, you can just walk/run offstage then bair them into a stagespike.
Once they are at 100% and off the ledge, lure them into the traps. When they grab the ledge they only have 4 options.

1) Weak Ledge attack (Punish and KO with dolphin slash, this is the main goal)

2) Very slow roll (Dash and grab them, pummel once, throw them back off)

3) Stall under the ledge (Let them do this, it wont get them anywhere, you can use dtilt to mindgame them into doing one of the other 3 options. You can bair stage spike them if they are being too stallish)

4) Jump from the ledge (This is usually their best option, but it still fails. You can regrab them after landing, or you can juggle them and eventually itll lead to the trap resetting on the other side of the stage)

My game is very strong on ledge traps, and its because it works. Hanging on the ledge is a bad position and Marth has all the tools to finish the stock off.

Edit: Now of course this works under 100% too, but the dolphin slash might not ko, and their rolls and ledge attacks are faster.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
If you are going for dolphin slash in the air, you better hope it KO's or prepare for some serious hurt. Your best bet is to use DB to set them up for DS. This move works on the floor as well as in the air (but i think its a lot less safe in the air).

Hype

Smash Lord

I've been doing this a lot latly too. The strong horizontal knockback in combination with them being near the edge is ****.

Top Bottom