• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

up-b cancel clarification

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
I been trying and trying but I can never ever get it! >_>

I have a theory to explain my difficulties! in not only up-b cancel but also in SHBAWD/SHUAWD. I don't think it's necc. the dexterity of my hands that prevents me from getting the combination of buttons in, mind you but I'm a very pro pen twiddler so my hands are quite dexterous, but I have a feeling that it might actually be the controller itself!

See, I had my GC since whenever they came out, (whenever that was), and likewise for this particular controller, in otherwords, the analog stick is rather loose & limpy (LOL).

-Could this be a problem in trying to perform moves like SHBAWD, SHUAWD, SHFFL'd attacks, & up-b cancel?

--if so, how much do new(er) controllers cost these days in your opinion?

---or, is there a means of remedying my heavily used controller?

thx for yer input folkz!

TheHiveMind

Smash Cadet
The same sort of thing happened with my N64 controllers, and it may make a slight difference to the speed you can do those moves, mainly because sometimes, if your joystick is too loose, your GC might read your neutral joystick position as a direction, which is problematic.

These days New GC controllers are reeely cheap. If you can, buy a wave-bird(wireless GC controller) for around maybe 40 dollars, which was the price two years ago. They're great cuz theres no cords to untangle and you can play from far away.
One really cool thing I like to do with Wave-bird controllers is to set one controller to a number and two receptors to the same number and you can control two characters(not useful in a fight but is pretty fun, especcially if you have a 1 V 1 with each person controlling two characters, its really chaotic).

One of my friends refuses to get a wireless controller because he thinks large amounts of radiation comes out of it to make it connect (which is BS of course), mainly cuz everything in his freakin house is organic, even the vodka. But what can you expect from a crazy russian.

But I digress...buy the wavebird and you will like it. If u cant find them use normal ones(theyre probably wicked cheap now, just look at an online game store to check the general price and buy one at GU or something), but wahtever you do, DO NOT BUY MAD KATZ CONTROLLERS, they break so fast and are shaped and made terribly. Especially the one with fans in em to cool your hands. What kinda Noob wants that?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Aight, here's my take on this; if you like it that's good, if not, leave it on the table and i'll grab it on my way out.

For up-b cancelling, your controller may be the problem. I say this because the cancel works because you up-b one direction, and you cancel by doing down in the other direction. (You know tihs)
The problem is, since your controller is lose, there is an area where you controller doesnt register anything. I personally call this the "wiggle zone". It might be hard to see this on a gamecube controller unless it's real bad, but think back to n64 controllers, especially ones on display on walmart and ****. The ones where the analog stick was touching the bottom boundary, with nobody 10 feet near it? So when you went to play it what happened? Just to walk somewhere, you had to completely jam it in whatever direction.

As for SHBAWDs, as long as you can move, i dont think it's a problem, it's just timing and coordination. (I dont really SHBAWD, so dont quote me on this, but last i checked the WD really comes off of being able to get a quick SHBA)

Same would apply for SHUAWD (i've really never heard of this one until now, ima go try it in a second)

__

As for new controllers.

I own like, 8 or 9 controllers. I had 4 before i started to get into smash seriously (really i had 4 before i started playin my gamecube again). Then i bought one when i got back into smash, about 3 on top of that cause the "wiggle zone" got on my nerves, and i felt like i was working too hard to get stuff to come out, and the last one cause my r trigger kept popping.

The thing about the "wiggle zone" is that it's user dependant. I've personally handed my "busted" controllers to some of my other friends, and they normally tell me "You sure this isnt a new one?" I've just been reeaaaaaaaaal crazy about good condition controllers since n64.

As for buying one. My personal opinion about wavebirds is dont do it. I've never liked wireless controllers, and although wavebirds are ridiculously good, in a tournament, you'll have to worry about being on somebody's channel.

If you were to get a new wired controller, those are like, 25-30 bucks, usually.

Heck, you can still get one of the *** ones (teal or spice orange) from places like play-asia.com, or ebay.

I found a site a few days ago that claims to still have clearbacks (the purple/clearbacked controllers). I took one of those, took a plat controller i had, and put the plat on the clearback.

. . . . but that's me ranting and raving about ghettomodding, lol.

If you want a new controller, wavebirds are like, 35-40ish (i think?)

wired ones (which is what i recommend) are about 25-30.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
I can't up-b cancel either. My controller's relatively new so I think I'm just slow! hahah! Anyway, I get my controllers at Target for $20. They're just the regular black ones.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
hey can u actually do the up-b cancel? bcuz if u can u shud b able to do it no matter wat the controller. i hav som gimpy controllers and i can still do it. if ur unsatisfied try n borrow one of ur friends GC controllers and then try n do the up-b if u can do it go by urself a new controller. if u cant just practice

jmic

Smash Ace
While successfully learning how to moonwalk with Falcon, I proceeded to try to upB cancel with Doc. I succeeded about 5/50 times.

But I did it.

The controller I used to learn the moonwalk with is like terribly worn out now, causing me to forwardB rather than upB sometimes. But I'm still able to upB cancel sometimes.

The upB cancel is retardedly quick. Chances are you're just hitting the opposite direction too slowly. Just hit the opposite direction as soon as you press upB.

I also read in Cyphus's guide that you have upB diagonally. So when you upB to the right, you have to immediately press down left, and vice versa.

A5modeu5

Smash Cadet
I've been trying it and I think I've been wasting my time with an almost useless move. Does anyone else agree?
it is not useless it is good to break combos and you stay on the ground....now you can combo your opponent.

But it is really hard to pull of.
If it would be easier to pull of everyone would use it.

sorry for my ?&%$y English

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Personally I think its useful but so hard to pull off that its just doesn't worth all this attention! Unless someone can actually use it at will its more or less useless don't you guys agree? You can't try this technique while playing in a tournament or even playing against your friends if you're not sure you can do it 9/10 of the times you use it.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
If I'm on the ground and I have time to up b cancel, I'd probably rather shield grab. Is the trajectory and knockback set for this move?

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
I read somewhere that up-b cancel knockback / trajectory is based entirely on the victim's weight. IE Pichu flies farther than bowser. So it is set in relation to your victim.

However if you were to use a full up-b, and get them w/ the last punch, that factors in their damage percentage as well.

chlor0form

Smash Journeyman
I think up-b cancelling is over~hyped, if you catch my drift. Is it actually not as hard as it seems or is it just me? Like, I can get it most of the time, but things like multiple jc'd shines are more tedious in my opinion.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1)Don't buy a wavebird if you ever plan on going to a tournament.
2)UpB canceling is slightly easier with a broken in joystick.
3)I find I can upB cancel easily because I'm disjointed in my left thumb, makes for an easy flick, 4 frames isn't very much of a window to change direction afterall.

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
To do the Up-B cancel you don't need to press the opposite direction that you point the control stick, but rather the opposite direction Doc is facing.

One only has to move the stick one knotch to the left if Mario's Up-B is going to the right and vice-versa. When you realize this, you'll start to cancel more consistently.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Guys once the timing is learned it's not nearly as hard as it seems and you'll find that if you practice it enough you will begin to use it in battle, regardless of it being in a tournament or not. It's a really good way to escape if your sheild is being *****. However, it's only real useful use is escaping from your sheild, since it's as fast as Falco's shine. If you're trying to be flashy or just bored when you're waiting for your opponent to respond or stop camping, or you're in a predicament where all you should do is camp (the trasformations of Pokemon Stadium where you camp on one side and your opponent camps on the other), you could Up+B cancel taunt. I wouldn't recommend that unless you've mastered it, however.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Culinary, do you mean that to up-b cancel you don't necc. have to jerk the analog stick -all the way into the left/right notch- ? just a little bit directly after the up-b attempt? 'Coz if that's the case then I'd imagine it's a lot easier than I originally thought it was!

SmashMac, thanks a bunch for the up-bCancel usage tips. I'll keep those in mind if I ever start getting the hang of it!

In regards to getting a new controller, what I seem to have gathered is that Wavebird = good for play at home, Wavebird = bad for play at tournaments, & that slightly used controllers are easier to do up-bCancels (or perhaps even any advanced tactic for that matter) than stiff, unbroken-in new controllers.

Thanks for all y'alls responses in clarifying this.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
If the up b cancel's knockback only has to do with weight, maybe it's easy to do up-b cancel into fair! That would be useful. It could be used right out of a shield too, correct?

alcheato

Smash Ace
It helped me to watch my hands as I was doing it. Watch your hands when you up-b with the control stick up and towards the direction you're facing until you get the motion. Then, practice moving the control stick up and towards the direction you're facing and then down and to the opposite direction all in one motion. Just do it slowly till your muscles get the hang of the motion and practice until you can do the motion fast enough.
Also, when I was first learning this I found it helped to actually hit an opponent in Training Mode with it. I can do it almost every time now even when I'm not actually hitting anyone with it, but it took a good couple hours of practice.

Mix

Smash Cadet
aight heres the deal. Up-B cancel is pretty much the most gangster thing Doc can do. I see most people who try to do it get frustrated after the first couple of trys. heres some tips XD

1. Go to training mode. Set it to 2/3 and put 3 computers on.
2. The motion for up-b cancel isnt a jam motion but more of a flick if that makes sence. Example... Instead of holding the joystick all the way up for regular up-b just move it up enough so that if you hit A it will do a tilt. that way you dont have to move the joystick as far when you flick in the opposite direction.
3. After you get the timing down and your own style of the up-b cancel put the speed back to normal and keep doing it over and over and over untill its "automatic"

And there you have it! oh and it has a better chance of hitting if your actually doing it infront of a target. I have no idea why this is but thats... the way it is! XD
oh yeah and if that doesnt work maybe you do need another controller haha

hope that helps!!

Top Bottom