• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up and coming Sonic.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Tucker really doesn't post much here, and you don't have a Sonic Video Thread, so I figured I'd just make a new thread about Tucker's Sonic.
And don't say he's not playing someone good, Legan is like the best Link in existence.

Tucker vs Legan 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRrngeqTyHk

Tucker vs Legan 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYgTobSg4Q

Fixed, posted them in the Archive too.
Also too, Legan didn't retire, he just doesn't play as much because he doesn't own a Wii.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's kinda hard to rate him when the links don't work.

So, I decided to post the Winning Steak Cinemas link so he new where the video thread was (because he claimed we didn't have one)

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ depends on the vids.

Tucker needs to mix it up, try more fakeout techniques... spend more time exploring Sonic's freedom and flexibility.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
He got owned by playing too directly against someone that knew how to out-range and out-prioritize him. Not much else to say.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
One of his biggest problems were that was his first time playing a player like Legan, and playing such a crazy Link.
I think that's a bit of a weak excuse. There are a lot of times you'll be fighting players with weird styles or a high level of ability. If you can't deal with that you're not cut out for the tournament scene.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I think that's a bit of a weak excuse. There are a lot of times you'll be fighting players with weird styles or a high level of ability. If you can't deal with that you're not cut out for the tournament scene.
I'm not nessicarly using that as an excuse, I was just mentioning it.
It's not like Legan completely ***** him, Tucker still held up fine.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lets see how I can judge.

Nothing here is meant as snide remarks, but rather constructive criticisms.

First thing, not too much homing attack, but rather bad use of homing attack.

The Sonic guide has a good description of when and how to use homing attack, so he should work on that. Either way, its a move thats used more as a counter move or punishing move, or as a secondary recovery methodeprimary being SideB and UpB).

His overal issues with Sonic seem to be sloppy gameplay, and predictability.

For one, he should notttt be using dash grabs with Sonic. Shield cancel a run, and then do a shield grab. If he does this corrctly, he will slide during his standing grab animation, giving him an equal or longer ranged grab than his running grab, with muchhhh less end lag. Its also safer because you can powershield attacks and still slide in for the grab.

Were there any shield cancels? I don't think I saw any. Shield cancels and feints are virtually integral to Sonic's gameplay. He needs to ASC(Aerial Spin Charge, Down B release in the air) moar when appropriate, its Sonic's main damager, an easy 18 damage so long as you hold forward on the control stick, and thats not including super easy followups. This attack can be shield cancelled upon landingfor great feints, or you can proceed into a spin dash roll.

Sonic's sideB can also shield cancel before its fully charged. Doing a SideB from a run and shield cancelling it into a grab actually gives sonic the most "range" from grabbing, and seems to powershield moves super easy.

He uses dash attack too much when he has better options. Instead of dash attacking, run in and shield cancel grabs.

More tilts. Link is heavy and a fast faller, dtilt followups are easy, although I'm not sure how easily his nair will break the strings. ftilt is Sonic's longest ranged ground move, so he needs to use it more.

Against link, in general, more shielding/powershielding, and shield cancelled feints.

His spacing seems to lack also. I know its hard to space against such an onslaught of projectiles, but once Sonic is spaced appropriately, using thse projectiles becomes a bad option for link. Sonic can cover tons of ground in the time is takes link to execute many of his attacks.

Theres more, but I think I've covered the basics

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
definitely need to get accustomed to Link's projectiles, it's a big part of his game and if u can't find a way around those Link can be a tough player especially one such as Legan

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Me I like characters with speed and when Im sonic and, like fighting agiants toon link I always get murdered but when Im fighting any other character its not the same

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Me I like characters with speed and when Im sonic and, like fighting agiants toon link I always get murdered but when Im fighting any other character its not the same
Thank you for your input. I truly appreciate your informative post, mars. Clearly Toon Link poses a problem for Sonic with his murdering ability of assasination, which other characters do not possess. Thank you.

/StupidSarcasm

Was bored, no offense man

=P

Tenki

Smash Hero
I only watched the first one so far.

Legan was sooo fun to play with, even online. I can't imagine how fun it'd be to play with him offline lol.

:3

Shield/try to Pshield projectiles, it'll help you stay in control of yourself.

lolol09

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I'm not even sure what that Mars guy said, haha.
I keep telling Tucker to post on the Sonic boards, to help get his post count up, to find out new stuff, etc.
But he won't do it, haha.

Top Bottom