• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't care about 'reps' that much and find it hilarious when people think a character should be cut just because its 'bloating roster size'.
I find it hilarious when people discuss cuts at all. I'll gladly say who I would cut if I was in charge of Smash, but honestly I find it better just to keep everyone.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I find it hilarious when people discuss cuts at all. I'll gladly say who I would cut if I was in charge of Smash, but honestly I find it better just to keep everyone.
Honestly it was annoying to see people annoyed about 'Everyone is Here' because they didn't like a specific character.

D

Deleted member

I don't care about 'reps' that much and find it hilarious when people think a character should be cut just because its 'bloating roster size'.
I never understood what "bloating roster size" even means. So it makes the roster bigger? Like that sure is what happens when you add more characters, bud.

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Tier lists are unhealthy for varied competitive play. By over simplifying match ups they do more harm than good, especially for players of lower skill levels.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly it was annoying to see people annoyed about 'Everyone is Here' because they didn't like a specific character.
I don't think we would've gotten characters they liked had Everyone is Here not happened. Not just because of clones, but:
  • Pichu and Wolf lost some of the differences they had with Pikachu and Fox
  • Young Link might be using Smash 4 Link animations while BotW Link is the fully reanimated one
  • They all have previous Smash appearances to draw from
  • On top of all this, Simon/Richter might've not joined if they didn't negotiate with Konami for Snake.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Tier lists are unhealthy for varied competitive play. By over simplifying match ups they do more harm than good, especially for players of lower skill levels.
In other words, "tiers are for queers", am I right?

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't really care for the, "Everyone is here" aspect of Ultimate. I'd rather have more new characters than a bunch of old ones. I can't say for sure that we would've gotten a ton of new characters if characters like Pichu & Young Link weren't brough back (since creating brand new characters requires way more effort than just bringing back old ones), or if characters like Falco & Roy were cut, but if they were removed so that more development time could've POTENTIALLY gone towards brand new characters, I'd be all on board for that.

The same goes for stages. It's nice to have all of these stages back, but only having 4 new ones is kind of lame. I can live without stuff like Hanenbow, 75 m, etc... If it meant more brand new stages (once again, I'm not saying that we would've gotten a brand new stage since those are harder to make than bring back old ones, but if there was even the slightest chance... You get the point).

I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but custom moves are way better than spirits. The weapon triangle thing for spirits is dumb, and makes beating people nearly immposible when you do 0 damage to them, but they do 33% with regular moves like n-air. Custom moves were broken, but they weren't that broken.

I never understood why people got called out for not wanting to get Ultimate because their favorite characters didn't make it. To me, that's a perfectly valid reason not to buy Ultimate. It's not like the game is free. If that person isn't satisfied then they shouldn't be called things like "childish" for not wanting to drop $60 on a video game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
or if characters like Falco & Roy were cut, but if they were removed so that more development time could've POTENTIALLY gone towards brand new characters, I'd be all on board for that.
I don't think that could've happened. This game is using more Smash 4 assets than Smash 4 uses Brawl assets, Brawl uses Melee assets, and you know.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
How to spot a casual.

Seriously go watch a tournament with them.
How to spot someone who's full of it. I made that post on Monday, for crying out loud.

I understand some of their strengths but I've never lost to either of them once. Roy still suffers the same way he did in Smash 4 by having short range sweetspots, and Chrom suffers from nut just his poor recovery but also by the fact that he's very predictable. I feel like A- or B tier placement is better for them.

Yeah, you’re just pumping these out for the sake of it at this point aren’t you?
Elaborate?
Objectively wrong opinion lmao
You obviously have no clue why people come to this thread, don't you? People come here to post their opinions with the idea that they won't be sniped for not having the popular idea. People like you who police it and attack users for simply expressing their opinion are some of the worst in the Smash community because you take pride in shooting down people who's opinions might not line up with yours. If you think someone is "objectively wrong," consider making another post or thread about your opinion without referencing or attacking them instead of sniping them in the only thread on this website where people have the liberty to express their opinions.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
How to spot someone who's full of it. I made that post on Monday, for crying out loud.

I understand some of their strengths but I've never lost to either of them once. Roy still suffers the same way he did in Smash 4 by having short range sweetspots, and Chrom suffers from nut just his poor recovery but also by the fact that he's very predictable. I feel like A- or B tier placement is better for them.

Elaborate?

You obviously have no clue why people come to this thread, don't you? People come here to post their opinions with the idea that they won't be sniped for not having the popular idea. People like you who police it and attack users for simply expressing their opinion are some of the worst in the Smash community because you take pride in shooting down people who's opinions might not line up with yours. If you think someone is "objectively wrong," consider making another post or thread about your opinion without referencing or attacking them instead of sniping them in the only thread on this website where people have the liberty to express their opinions.
Look at Mr. tone deaf over here calling out a tongue in cheek reply to a person who wasn’t even you. That was obviously sarcastic and tame compared to some of the callouts ive seen on this thread, yet you choose to make an example out of the one that makes you look like a fool. Good work.

And I don’t care what the thread says. Drivel is drivel and many other people are calling out dumb posts like “Roy and Chrom are horrible characters”. It is absolutely meaningless and only makes you look INCREDIBLY out of touch.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Look at Mr. tone deaf over here calling out a tongue in cheek reply to a person who wasn’t even you. That was obviously sarcastic and tame compared to some of the callouts ive seen on this thread, yet you choose to make an example out of the one that makes you look like a fool. Good work.

And I don’t care what the thread says. Drivel is drivel and many other people are calling out dumb posts like “Roy and Chrom are horrible characters”. It is absolutely meaningless and only makes you look INCREDIBLY out of touch.
"Objectively wrong opinion lmao" can be taken an way. It sounded like you were sniping the person.

If you didn't care what the thread rules are than you wouldn't be here. But wait, you are. Nothing here is drivel, unless someone said something that is objective and not subjective, like "Melee came out in 2003" or something. I made a post saying I feel like Roy and Chrom are overrated since in the right matchups their weaknesses are easily abused. Ever since I made that post I haven't seen "Many other people" calling me out, just you and someone else. Care to point me to them?

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Which characters are 'good' or 'bad is, by definition, subjective. Now statments like "X character has an EVO win % of..." are objective. I know you guys can discuss your differing opinions in a healthier, calmer and more rational tone.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Do the rules of this thread even matter anymore? Like, honest question. I'm pretty if they did then most of the people in this thread, including, would probably have racked up tons of warnings by now.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
User was warned for this post; flaming
People like you who police it and attack users for simply expressing their opinion are some of the worst in the Smash community because you take pride in shooting down people who's opinions might not line up with yours. If you think someone is "objectively wrong," consider making another post or thread about your opinion without referencing or attacking them instead of sniping them in the only thread on this website where people have the liberty to express their opinions.
Oops! Looks like Mr. respect everyone’s opinions over here forgot that his posts from 2 pages ago are still visible!

@Hadokeyblade Shantae, Rayman, and Geno all had a fat chance of getting into Smash anyway so it's no surprise that they're spirits. If you feel offended or that Sakurai is trying to attack you by not making them fighters you're acting like an entitled baby. Just get over it like everyone else has, for crying out loud.
But I thought this was the safe space for unpopular opinions?!? The levels of hypocrisy here are too high. You didnt care about the “rules” until one of your “opinions” got called out. Don’t even try to justify it.

Last edited:

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Oops! Looks like Mr. respect everyone’s opinions over here forgot that his posts from 2 pages ago are still visible!

You are such a hypocrite it’s not even funny. You didnt care about the “rules” until one of your awful opinions got called out. Don’t even try to justify it. This is disgusting.
Is it absolutely necessary to sprinkle insults with this? Just calmly and rationally list the reasons explaining why you feel his opinions are inaccurate.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Is it absolutely necessary to sprinkle insults with this? Just calmly and rationally list the reasons explaining why you feel his opinions are inaccurate.
Yeah, why don’t I calmly and rationally debate him after he calls me and others “the worst of the Smash community” for doing sometime HE DID yesterday. Can’t you just mind your own business? Why do I have to stay level headed when someone else snaps?

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Yeah, why don’t I calmly and rationally debate him after he calls me and others “the worst of the Smash community” for doing sometime HE DID yesterday. Can’t you just mind your own business? Why do I have to stay level headed when someone else snaps?
Could the two of you not take this as an opportunity to learn from each other? This thread is for posting your unpopular opinions and you both lashed out at people for doing so. Now I'm sure healthy debate is welcome, but over simplified 'You're wrong!' s?

And you should always strive to keep your cool, especially if the other person is not! If you're BOTH just foaming at the mouth you wont learn anything from the encounter.

Browny

Smash Hater
Objectively wrong opinion lmao
Prove it. Let's look at the things that ultimate has more in common with brawl, than melee.

Less AT's. Brawl had b reversing, wavebouncing, dacus and glide tossing. Smash 5 has... attack cancelling from a dash. That's it.

In terms of ease of recovery, it goes smash 4, brawl, melee/64. Given that characters can grab the ledge from further and trump the ledge even if distances are nerfed, that would put ease of recovering between smash 4 and brawl.

Neutral game etc. Melee was all about touch-of-death combos, one hit and your'e done. If you're offstage vs a good edgeguarder, you aren't coming back. Kill confirms from 40% etc. Brawl was all about neutral where is was spacing out attacks all day long until you get one stray hit and try to string it, since there are so few 'combos'. Smash ultimate is all about strings, so few characters have true combos that they just string you along because you can't really escape normally. Brawl had less hitstun, but also less options to escape disadvantage while smash Ultimate gives the character being 'strung' more options than ever to escape thanks to directional airdodging and b-reversing.

Do yourself a favour and watch some high level, fast brawl matches like diddy vs MK, and go and watch high level smash U and melee. You can't seriously come to the conclusion that this game is anything other than neutral game for like 10 seconds, hit and faux combo across the stage, while melee is hit once and true combo to edgeguard.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Could the two of you not take this as an opportunity to learn from each other? This thread is for posting your unpopular opinions and you both lashed out at people for doing so. Now I'm sure healthy debate is welcome, but over simplified 'You're wrong!' s?

And you should always strive to keep your cool, especially if the other person is not! If you're BOTH just foaming at the mouth you wont learn anything from the encounter.
God I hate this website sometimes. Look dude, I get that your intentions are good and yeah there is value in keep cool but bro, the ONLY name I called him was a hypocrite, and that isn’t even a petty insult. It’s the perfect word to describe someone like him. He had the audacity to call me out, AND call me the worst of the Smash community, for something he is also guilty of. Can’t you just let him get what was coming to him?

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Brawl had less hitstun, but also less options to escape disadvantage while smash Ultimate gives the character being 'strung' more options than ever to escape thanks to directional airdodging and b-reversing.
Don't you want that? I mean you want a game that has as much potiontal to be back and forth as possible, don't you? I don't think I quite understand what you're saying. I would think more ways to get out of being combo'd and fewer low%-death combos is a good thing.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Young Link should've only been included if he had a majoras mask based move set and used masks to fight

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Don't you want that? I mean you want a game that has as much potiontal to be back and forth as possible, don't you? I don't think I quite understand what you're saying. I would think more ways to get out of being combo'd and fewer low%-death combos is a good thing.
Agreed. A big part of the fun is predicting which direction the opponent will airdodge, leading to some fun aerial tech chases and string continuations.

Last edited:

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
God I hate this website sometimes. Look dude, I get that your intentions are good and yeah there is value in keep cool but bro, the ONLY name I called him was a hypocrite, and that isn’t even a petty insult. It’s the perfect word to describe someone like him. He had the audacity to call me out, AND call me the worst of the Smash community, for something he is also guilty of. Can’t you just let him get what was coming to him?
Well I see you removed 'disgusting' as an adjective to describe his opinion~ I'm sure you didn't do that for me but I'll call that a tiny victory.

Browny

Smash Hater
My argument is that smash ultimate is closer to brawl, than it is to melee.

In melee, once you got touched you were going to get carried across the stage. Brawl was the exact opposite where you could escape after almost every hit.

Smash ultimate, fitting somewhere between those two, is far closer to brawl with a lot of escape options.

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
My argument is that smash ultimate is closer to brawl, than it is to melee.

In melee, once you got touched you were going to get carried across the stage. Brawl was the exact opposite where you could escape after almost every hit.

Smash ultimate, fitting somewhere between those two, is far closer to brawl with a lot of escape options.
I see~

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not sure if this is actually an unpopular opinion since I haven't really heard anyone bring it up, but I'm not a fan of Ridley's design in Ultimate. I get that he's not exactly supposed to look pretty, but in my book, it would've been preferable to just scale down the Brawl Ridley design and call it a day; Brawley is the best design Ridley's ever had, prove me wrong.

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Its not that disappointing when a character is expressed in something other than a fighter, IMO. Take Marx for instance, a formally speculated Kirby rep. I think the character is way cooler as a boss then he could ever be as a playable fighter!

And with Shovel Knight. I'm amazed he made it into the game at all! Let alone as an assist with a 3D model. A character not being a fighter is nothing to feel deeply disappointed over, they're still in the game and while yes, there are a few I would rather have as fighters, being an assist trophy is certainly something to be proud of!

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Its not that disappointing when a character is expressed in something other than a fighter, IMO. Take Marx for instance, a formally speculated Kirby rep. I think the character is way cooler as a boss then he could ever be as a playable fighter!

And with Shovel Knight. I'm amazed he made it into the game at all! Let alone as an assist with a 3D model. A character not being a fighter is nothing to feel deeply disappointed over, they're still in the game and while yes, there are a few I would rather have as fighters, being an assist trophy is certainly something to be proud of!
This. I love Marx and would be super excited if he were to ever be confirmed, but let's be real, he's better as a boss. Having his abilities toned down to the point of being a remotely balanced fighter just wouldn't do the character justice. And I'd certainly take Geno as an Assist Trophy over a recycled render. (Grumble, grumble...)

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Agreed. If Quote from Cave Story made it into Smash even as just a spirit I'd be extremely overwhelmed with joy.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this is actually an unpopular opinion since I haven't really heard anyone bring it up, but I'm not a fan of Ridley's design in Ultimate. I get that he's not exactly supposed to look pretty, but in my book, it would've been preferable to just scale down the Brawl Ridley design and call it a day; Brawley is the best design Ridley's ever had, prove me wrong.
Agreed. I find Ridley's design to be more cringe than cool. He's build more on terrorizing the opponent with looks and attacks that apply pressure than acting like the Ridley we all knew.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Marx would probably be a god of death like he is in Star Allies if he was a fighter which is sad because I too want him in.

D

Deleted member

People who decide the meta of a game through early tier lists are actively inhibiting the competitive growth of Ultimate, and I sincerely wish we'd be able to wait at least half a year before we get spammed (with guide vids and tier lists) to God and beyond by pro players.

The private life of pro players shouldn't be any of our business and I hate the sensationalism behind it. The whole Salem situation is proof of that.

Time is better than stock in FFAs.

Undertale's impact on gaming and internet culture is not to be denied and I believe Sans is a legitimate choice as a hopeful DLC character.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Alternatively, I think "Everyone is Here" is the Smash equivalent of quantity vs quality. Of course, I have MASSIVE respect for Sakurai for managing to pull a game like Ultimate off in just over two years, but imo, it shouldn't have been the initial goal. The standard for being "iconic" is lowered as more characters are included, no doubt; even still, I strongly believe some of these characters aren't meant to represent their series. Dr. Mario and Pichu, for instance, are easily overshadowed by more iconic and promising (moveset-wise) members of their respective series.

I also read somewhere you're not a fan of reps. Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom