• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
THIS JUST IN! Joker is going to be a DLC character. No- not the Batman Joker. The Joker from Persona 5. You know, a game that's exclusive to Sony consoles and is very firmly M-rated.

What were they thinking?

After Snake and Cloud, Nintendo's giving Sony more free advertising. And just like Snake and Bayonetta, no consideration for the implications of putting these characters in an all-ages game. Even characters from Call of Duty or Fortnite would make more sense because at least kids play those.

Sakurai wants Goku in the game. I feel like the long-game end goal is to put Kirito in the game. You think I'm joking? By the looks of it, it seems like that's where the Smash character roster is headed.
Why do people keep comparing Joker, a character from a highly successful game series, akin to adding anime characters into the game?
It was a surprise, I get it. But there's a reason for everything. These kinds of statements only make it obvious people can't deal with surprise reveals.

Anywho; I think the menus look a bit...empty and soulless outside the main menu which looks great. It's a weird contrast, and I find the online menu particularly jarring in that regard.

I think the ticket system harms the challenge of classic mode to a point, but since everyone starts with one stock and the intensity goes up I understand this compromise. Just a bit shallow for me.

That's it thus far as I am still sinking my teeth into this game.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
I was talking about DEMANDS, not characters already planned on being in the game.

P5 does have an anime and quite a lot of overlap with the anime fan community. There have been rumors that Sakurai wants Goku in. Also, there is a shift where the games are geared more towards a smaller audience that spends a lot, which usually happens to be fans of certain types of Japanese media (cartoons and games).

Not only that, but the series wants to be more Japan-centric (despite the best players being from South America) because that’s what Sakurai enjoys working on. Expect to see Kirito get in because SAO is huge in Japan despite being mostly despised by the West.

Unisex

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I get why they wanted to start with a small cast, for the call back, but lets be serious, it pretty much ruins the early game, as everyone is just trying to unlock to a decent size, at least. Oh joy, everyone one of your friends is SDing off a cliff for an hour. What an opening experience. Still this is a passing thing.

A bigger problem for me though is that some stages just feel.. dark? Sure i haven't played smash since Brawl, but I dont remember ever really losing my character in a FFA. Even some items just tend to blend in, at times.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I think this game will be great. I'm going to pick it up today. Just some little things for me, like lack of Advance Wars music. Not really significant stuff, because I know there is so much inside of this game.

But my biggest complaint is a community one.

Just because you criticize a game, does not mean you're ungrateful or spoiled or whatever. It does not mean you want to kick and make fun of Sakurai. It does not mean you're not a true Nintendo fan or whatever.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I hate world of light so far... too many campy CPU's I can counter that playstyle but... it's just not fun to do so. Started on hard mode but switching to normal for quicker matches.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Really? Most of them are icons with rich Nintendo history to the point you'd be drawing an unneeded line between them getting into the game.
All the third parties we got are heavy hitters too. Characters and series from big titles that are timeless.

I'd like to see you expand on this. Sounds like you don't really play games outside of Nintendo developed titles.
Joker and Bayo aren't really heavy hitters.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
- Imbalance of attention paid to keeping characters fresh/representative of their series.
- Lack of obvious choice alt costumes, taunts, and other little details.
- Missing modes.
- WoL looks like a slog.

Why do people keep comparing Joker, a character from a highly successful game series, akin to adding anime characters into the game?
Much of the "anime" criticism doesn't come from a distaste of the medium per se, but the character design with regard to Smash. One of the biggest things Nintendo has going for it are its colorful array of characters with their distinct silhouettes, in contrast to anime-style characters that tend to have regular human proportions. I'm sure Joker's (and his persona's) animation and flamboyance will be top-par - he'll just look a little odd on the CS screen.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
My biggest criticism is the legitimately unfair A.I. in this game. I essentially never ever lost 3-stock matches against any level 9 CPU in Smash 4, Brawl, and Melee; now I'm losing the *majority* against level 9 Donkey Kong in ultimate. This is really making me mad.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
There actually is a way to get your favorite past menu song, but the method is unconventional- you get it from the Vault. And it reverts after a single match so it’s best used for toying with other things anyway. Bummer.

While the Metal Mario stage isn’t in the game, the song is playable in Big Battlefield and Final Destination. Was someone thinking of me?

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Maybe its just me but something really struck me bad.

When i play Spirit World on hard difficulty and get to fight a character i can unlock, their difficulty is way lower than usual and that makes it feel clunky somehow.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Thus far, my biggest problem with the game is actually the launching physics. The huge impact and then immediate stop looks really cool (and make kills feel a whole lot cooler), but it severely limits creative combos and makes the whole combo system a lot less dynamic and a lot more set in stone (since you're limited to moves that Nintendo wanted you to use for comboing). The main upshot to this is that it makes the game a lot easier to balance because all combos are predictable, but I feel like it the negatives outweigh the positives since it makes gameplay significantly less interesting.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Really? Most of them are icons with rich Nintendo history to the point you'd be drawing an unneeded line between them getting into the game.
All the third parties we got are heavy hitters too. Characters and series from big titles that are timeless.

I'd like to see you expand on this. Sounds like you don't really play games outside of Nintendo developed titles.
I have probably played more non-Nintendo titles than Nintendo titles. But I wish this was just a Nintendo crossover game rather than being yet another over-expanded franchise that ends up becoming tasteless (like Mariokart did [IMO]).

:ultsonic:: Sonic games have been bad and uninteresting in recent years, save Sonic Mania. And his moveset is pretty spammable and uninspired, consisting mainly of his spin and then generic punches and kicks.
:ultsnake:: The creator of MG (who has like three different ways of spelling his name) basically phoned Sakurai and said "Hey can you put my OC in Smash? Pleeeease?"
:ultpacman:: Pac Man isn't a major issue since after all Bamco helped direct Smash, so his inclusion is more of a thank-you gift if anything. But if Bamco ever doesn't direct a Smash game, he should get the boot.
:ultmegaman:: Mega Man is OK since after all his games haven't been god awful like some Sonic Titles.
:ultryu:/:ultken:: I'm sorry, Street Fighter? These two don't even obey the basic rules of Smash. They have multiple different attacks based on the slight angle of the analog stick. Get these two out.
:ultcloud:: Had practically jack squat to do with Nintendo at the time of his inclusion, and Squeenix has given us the bare minimum of FF content. Leave.
:ultbayonetta:: Her design as some super-sexy edgelord of doom doesn't appeal to me. Her bull**** inclusion was even worse. Her overpowered ladder combos and neutral game are just the kiss of death.
:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:: These two are kind of cool, especially the idea of using a whip. But Castlevania has never been as major of a Nintendo series in recent years as many other IPs we have in Smash (and please don't start throwing sales numbers or "history with Nintendo" at me). I personally don't like Konami. On another note (although this doesn't apply to me), some people are beginning to lose their **** over Christian symbolism through the Belmonts, saying that their inclusion is like religious intolerance or whatever (although those people are every few).
Joker: I'm sorry, but Joker is just as important to Nintendo as Cloud. Which means he's not. Persona has been a PS exclusive from the very beginning, and I'm sick and tired of these random edgelord third party picks.

Nintendo has been making excellent games for almost 40 years. I wish Smash could be a celebration of all of their success instead of obligatory third parties saying "It celebrates the history with Nintendo!" No. I wish Nintendo could just do this on their own instead of feeling forced to represent as many extra parties (some of which have nothing to do with Nintendo) in what was supposed to be a Nintendo crossover game.

I hate the amount of third parties in this game. If we're going to have third parties, it should only be 1-2, not 11. And they should be relevant, iconic, from recognizable series and provide creative movesets to Smash. All 4 of those criteria should be met, not just 1 or 2, as we've seen from some fighters.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I don't particularly like Joker either, for personal reasons similar to Bayonetta, so I won't be getting the fighter pass.

Also based on every stream I've seen so far this is unpopular, but I'm gonna give the CSS a try with the echoes stacked I think.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well then I must be completely out-of-the-loop then, because I've been out here under the impression that Joker was producing Piranha Plant/Isabelle levels of salt from the fanbase.
Well yeah, you are.
I mean, just look at how many people changed their profile pic to Joker when he got announced.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Music unlocks shouldn't be hard-tied to World of Light. It was fun for the first 4 hours, but it's either mind-numbing easy, to the point where I needed to leave my spirit build and character to introduce a bit of variety, or it's hard in the way of absurdity (see Wily's spirit). I don't want to 100% it to make sure I get all the tracks, but I have to because the music in this game is so lit.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, I suppose I can just go back to my statement regarding guests:
1.- Hating guest characters so adamantly because "I want Nintendo stuff" is a really ludicrous idea. Like, come on! There's currently only 10 guest characters out of 75 (about 13% of the full roster) in the game so far, and somehow people think they ruin the Nintendo feel? Lord help those guys if all five DLC characters were not-Nintendo (which is still too little proportion-wise)...
And to add on to it, why do people suddenly think Joker just makes things much easier for Goku? Sakurai insisted on no manga characters a few days ago, so no, you don't have to be afraid of DBZ ever touching this game.
Also, afraid of Sans happening? Guess what? Not all characters are going to be loved and even first-party characters suffer from that (Dark Pit and Corrin being prime examples of it) And this comes from someone who actively doesn't want Sans.
These guests aren't here so people buy their games, but rather the other way around. You really think Akuma, Geese and Noctis appear in Tekken 7 so people buy Street Fighter 5, KOF XIV and FF XV? What about Geralt and 2B in SoulCalibur 6? Hell, let's not even talk about just video game guests, do you really the Ninja Turtles appear in Injustice 2 so you can watch their new cartoon on Nickelodeon after seeing them fight with Superman?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Don't understand the appeal of Heihachi. He'd just be :ultryu: 2.0.

Besides he was already in PSASBR.

Last edited:

Zakhara

Smash Rookie
Don't understand the appeal of Heihachi. He'd just be :ultryu: 2.0.
That's silly; they play nothing alike. They wear similar clothes?

The reason given before on his exclusion was difficulty incorporating his moveset--which, given his Tekken appearance's use of EWGF, OTGF, wavedashing, KBD, and other high-execution techniques--would make him very hard to translate in a fun-yet-accurate way. The passing of Unsho Ishizuka is also an unfortunate impediment.

That said, despite how unlikely it is, Heihachi and/or a Virtua Fighter representative are among my most anticipated characters. I think the crossover of "traditional" fighting game characters is a great way for Smash Bros. to share its history and respect among its peers.

Besides he was already in PSASBR.
Also silly, since it's not like Heihachi's inclusion in that precludes him elsewhere. Nor would it summarize his hypothetical gameplay.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I was talking about DEMANDS, not characters already planned on being in the game.

P5 does have an anime and quite a lot of overlap with the anime fan community. There have been rumors that Sakurai wants Goku in. Also, there is a shift where the games are geared more towards a smaller audience that spends a lot, which usually happens to be fans of certain types of Japanese media (cartoons and games).

Not only that, but the series wants to be more Japan-centric (despite the best players being from South America) because that’s what Sakurai enjoys working on. Expect to see Kirito get in because SAO is huge in Japan despite being mostly despised by the West.
  1. Pokemon also has a strong anime
  2. That "rumor" is wrong, he said that Goku is impossible and ridiculous
  3. Wants to be more Japan-centric? Sakurai stopped adding Japan-only characters and Persona is popular in both east and west
  4. SAO is an anime, not a video game

These are not unpopular opinions, you're just saying objectively baseless or wrong things. If you want to complain about nothing so badly, there are better ways of doing it.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I think the ticket system harms the challenge of classic mode to a point, but since everyone starts with one stock and the intensity goes up I understand this compromise. Just a bit shallow for me.
I haven't slept for over twenty or so hours now (Smash), so I might just be too dumb right now to understand, but could you please explain what you mean here?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I don't understand why a character previously being in a Playstation-themed game that tried and failed to replicate what Smash does suddenly disqualifies their inclusion in Smash.

Nathan Drake, Heihachi, Raiden, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, The Gravity Rush characters, Big Daddy, and possibly Parappa would all be perfectly fine additions to Smash or better.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Ganondorf should've never been added to Melee because now he'll always be stuck as a garbage Falcondorf clone. It's absolutely ridiculous that a major villain like Ganondorf plays like a character that has nothing to do with his series and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has confirmed my suspicions that Ganondorf will always be a clone.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Lifelight is cringe.

Ganondorf should've never been added to Melee because now he'll always be stuck as a garbage Falcondorf clone. It's absolutely ridiculous that a major villain like Ganondorf plays like a character that has nothing to do with his series and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has confirmed my suspicions that Ganondorf will always be a clone.
He should've been added to Melee, but there's no reason he shouldn't have been retooled by now. Didn't they at least add the sword for one move?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He should've been added to Melee, but there's no reason he shouldn't have been retooled by now. Didn't they at least add the sword for one move?
Just his Smashes. And it's not even a canon sword. It's just his sword from the tech demo, the one he was intended to use in Melee.

Retooling him completely kills the playerbase for those who main him, since that's too extreme of an adjustment. They can just make a new character, like Toon Ganondorf, if the sword is so important(it's not even a key factor to his character. Magic and Physical Power is, which is pretty much his actual moveset).

Dan

Smash Lord
There's too much stuff in this game; I was going through My Music to set preferred tracks for stages, but just gave up cause there's like 50 choices per stage.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, I'm enjoying the game and the fallout from Joker. I don't know if this counts or not, but I think with Joker, one thing is clear. Smash doesn't really care about some bull**** Nintendo continuity all that much and is moving on from just a Nintendo focused fighter. I think that's probably for the best as your only going to get more and more diminishing returns as the lesser known characters become the focus. I can't blame Nintendo for starting to move in that direction. Now I'm not saying we should have all third party characters in future games or we should ignore Nintendo characters in favor of others. Not at all, but I do expect to see the third party presence only grow and yield some of the bigger moments moving forward.

There are plenty of interesting Nintendo characters left all around. I definitely agree and think that especially the non-represented franchises deserve a spot in Smash as well as a couple of the other omissions and fan requested fighters. But if Nintendo is looking for their BIG moments, third party is the best way to go.

Smash has spent the better part of 20 years making an identity around the Nintendo IPs. And I think it's done a phenomenal job in that regard. Not perfect, but the all-stars are almost all there. The games have been well represented and that identity is still a solid foundation to Smash. It's not going away as they add more third parties. Instead, the third parties just add to Smash's identity as the biggest cross-over in gaming. Regardless of how much I personally may want certain characters from Nintendo, third parties just add so much more and make the game feel bigger. I'm all for that continuing at this point.

Keenetrial

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post; flaming
Unpopular opinion.

Young Link players and Inkling players are disgusting.

Beef Orb

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your posts instead)
What I hate about new Link:
- remote bombs
- remote bombs can't be detonated in enemy hands
- no hook shot but left in the boomerang?
- no other slate powers but bombs, yea that's REALLY BOTW link.

Ryu/ken Simon/richtor and Dark Samus? And a battle pass? Are you ****ing kidding me? **** Off. Smash is a cash grab game and everyone should know it by now.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ryu/ken Simon/richtor and Dark Samus? And a battle pass? Are you ****ing kidding me? **** Off. Smash is a cash grab game and everyone should know it by now.
...every game is a cash grab game now.
The good thing is: you don't have to buy the fighter's pass. It's entirely your own decision.

What's wrong with Street Fighter and Castlevania?

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
I have probably played more non-Nintendo titles than Nintendo titles. But I wish this was just a Nintendo crossover game rather than being yet another over-expanded franchise that ends up becoming tasteless (like Mariokart did [IMO]).

:ultsonic:: Sonic games have been bad and uninteresting in recent years, save Sonic Mania. And his moveset is pretty spammable and uninspired, consisting mainly of his spin and then generic punches and kicks.
:ultsnake:: The creator of MG (who has like three different ways of spelling his name) basically phoned Sakurai and said "Hey can you put my OC in Smash? Pleeeease?"
:ultpacman:: Pac Man isn't a major issue since after all Bamco helped direct Smash, so his inclusion is more of a thank-you gift if anything. But if Bamco ever doesn't direct a Smash game, he should get the boot.
:ultmegaman:: Mega Man is OK since after all his games haven't been god awful like some Sonic Titles.
:ultryu:/:ultken:: I'm sorry, Street Fighter? These two don't even obey the basic rules of Smash. They have multiple different attacks based on the slight angle of the analog stick. Get these two out.
:ultcloud:: Had practically jack squat to do with Nintendo at the time of his inclusion, and Squeenix has given us the bare minimum of FF content. Leave.
:ultbayonetta:: Her design as some super-sexy edgelord of doom doesn't appeal to me. Her bull**** inclusion was even worse. Her overpowered ladder combos and neutral game are just the kiss of death.
:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:: These two are kind of cool, especially the idea of using a whip. But Castlevania has never been as major of a Nintendo series in recent years as many other IPs we have in Smash (and please don't start throwing sales numbers or "history with Nintendo" at me). I personally don't like Konami. On another note (although this doesn't apply to me), some people are beginning to lose their **** over Christian symbolism through the Belmonts, saying that their inclusion is like religious intolerance or whatever (although those people are every few).
Joker: I'm sorry, but Joker is just as important to Nintendo as Cloud. Which means he's not. Persona has been a PS exclusive from the very beginning, and I'm sick and tired of these random edgelord third party picks.

Nintendo has been making excellent games for almost 40 years. I wish Smash could be a celebration of all of their success instead of obligatory third parties saying "It celebrates the history with Nintendo!" No. I wish Nintendo could just do this on their own instead of feeling forced to represent as many extra parties (some of which have nothing to do with Nintendo) in what was supposed to be a Nintendo crossover game.

I hate the amount of third parties in this game. If we're going to have third parties, it should only be 1-2, not 11. And they should be relevant, iconic, from recognizable series and provide creative movesets to Smash. All 4 of those criteria should be met, not just 1 or 2, as we've seen from some fighters.

Man love your post, even tho I disagreed a little with snake and Simon BUT maybe, and I say MAYBE the reality is that the new commers in smash are more like marketing TOOLS for nintendo and they also capitalize on it with DLCs that are overpriced imo. Also I would add that it was no conincidence that Cloud and Bayo was op in smash 4.

Beef Orb

Smash Rookie
...every game is a cash grab game now.
The good thing is: you don't have to buy the fighter's pass. It's entirely your own decision.

What's wrong with Street Fighter and Castlevania?
I'm sorry you don't really understand. I don't find anything wrong with Castlevania or Street Fighter. I have a problem with clone characters. Just because I don't have to buy the battle pass doesn't mean that's ok. Just because it's not an issue with you does it make it not an issue with me. It's like allergies. And I'm allergic to battle passes. By the way this thread is for people to post they're unpopular opinion without being critiqued by people like you. I guess I get upset because I see so much potential for games like these and I feel like it's just squashed by greed and a lack of effort. How many characters could have been in this game but instead they make an unbelievable amount of clone characters. It triggers me and I truly believe that smash could be a really good title in the hands of different Developers. It's tradition to have a clone characters.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm sorry you don't really understand. I don't find anything wrong with Castlevania or Street Fighter. I have a problem with clone characters. Just because I don't have to buy the battle pass doesn't mean that's ok. Just because it's not an issue with you does it make it not an issue with me. It's like allergies. And I'm allergic to battle passes. By the way this thread is for people to post they're unpopular opinion without being critiqued by people like you. I guess I get upset because I see so much potential for games like these and I feel like it's just squashed by greed and a lack of effort. How many characters could have been in this game but instead they make an unbelievable amount of clone characters. It triggers me and I truly believe that smash could be a really good title in the hands of different Developers. It's tradition to have a clone characters.
I don't really care about the thread rules. It's an opinion thread. Opinions breed discussion. I like seeing points developed further.
If I was being nasty about it sure.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Clones are all or nothing; they don't take the place of unique characters. Take 'em or leave 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom