• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
There's a good chance Namco's second rep could be video game exclusive Xeno Goku.
He debuted in the video game Dragon Ball Heroes.
His design, abilities, and techniques differ from his anime counter part.
It's like Ash vs. Red from Pokemon.

Seems like Goku is plausible in the this sense.
:185:

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
... that Bonk should be in the game for the entire reason of 16 bit glory days.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Okay, I have another Yoshi related unpopular opinion. Shocking, right?

>Yarn Yoshi is stupid. It's bizarre to see people requesting this character. I get it, the Yoshi franchise doesn't have much representation, but YY isn't unique enough nor bat**** insane of an idea enough (*cough*Boshi*cough*) to warrant a spot. Also these request often come with wanting him to be "more of an aerial Yoshi." Umm, excuse me?!! You want to take a character who's basically the Little Mac of the air and make him MORE broken? Y'all are crazy!!!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular opinions, eh?

• Zelda is well represented in Smash. Zelda and Ganondorf can really show their characters.
  • Clones are fun and unless they aren't more than 1/10 of the whole cast it's interesting to see model swap characters.
  • Smash can't satisfy competitive players so they shouldn't bother.
  • I wouldn't have a problem with not getting any new playable characters from Metroid, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem or Mario.
  • Wii Fit Trainer was a genius idea.
  • I like the fact that we have characters who fall out of relevancy but still have their fans, like Sheik or Jigglypuff.
  • Dark Pit is a nice addition to Smash For.
  • Yoshi is more annoying to play against than Cloud.
  • Smash fandom should be more grateful about the effort put into these games. I guess that was the most unpopular.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
  • smash 4 has too many countermoves, i really want them to rework a lot of down b's for some of the characters.
  • i want to unlock more stuff again. unlocking stuff was most fun in melee, where you could unlock stuff by doing vastly different things, some of which were genuinely difficult. Its a good feeling to have hard work rewarded by getting a stage or something.
  • event matches shouldnt have difficulty options, or the good rewards should be locked behind the highest difficulty ones
  • smash 4 has way too many anime/humanly proportioned characters. I feel like the smash series has lost a lot of its charm since the 64 days, one of the main reasons is the increase in those types of characters.
  • I dislike the "story" that the newer smash games tell. The original concept was that a bunch of toys beat each other up and the masterhand is actually the hand of the kid that plays with the toys. 64 had a unique universe and some interesting ideas that have been completely forgotten in favor of a more bland "these are actually the real characters" type thing.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
  • I dislike the "story" that the newer smash games tell. The original concept was that a bunch of toys beat each other up and the masterhand is actually the hand of the kid that plays with the toys. 64 had a unique universe and some interesting ideas that have been completely forgotten in favor of a more bland "these are actually the real characters" type thing.
tbh I wouldn't mind if the newer "story" actually did something with the whole 'worlds collide' concept, it's the main reason subspace was so disappointing, that would've been the perfect opportunity to create platforming stages based on the different universes and allow you to explore them as characters that don't belong there.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
  • I don't mind clones at all. Actually, I think they're a clever addition, if time is lacking.
  • I don't want a Subspace Emissary mode in Smash 5. It would be too hard to include 70+ characters in a single story arc, and it would take too much time and effort to create cutscenes for the whole plot. I'd rather have a Melee-style Adventure Mode.
  • I don't want Ridley to be in. Nor I want K. Rool, but for different reasons. While I think Ridley is cool, I feel that it would be weird to play as in Smash. K. Rool on the other hand is a character that I dislike. Dixie Kong, Funky Kong or even Cranky Kong would be much better. Speaking of Funky...
  • I seriously want Funky Kong as a clone in Smash 5.
  • I hope we don't get a lot more 3rd parties. I feel like 1 or 2 more are fine.
  • I'd prefer the game to feature about 35 characters, but these character all being very well-made, like Brawl and Smash 4 newcomers. I feel like Smash 64 and Melee did a much poorer job when it comes to create newcomers: in 64 and Melee, they were probably more concerned on creating "fighting game" characters, while in Brawl and Smash 4 they created the characters with their original appearances in mind. Sure, there're some exceptions (Zelda and Sheik being the most notable one, in my opinion), but I generally feel they should "reboot" the series.
  • I don't mind having 6+ Pokémon and 7+ Mario characters. Actually, there're a few newcomers from each series I'd like to see.
  • Transformation characters were awesome, and Sheik and ZSS don't make any sense as unique characters, since they only got in because they are an alternative version of a much more well known character.
  • I hope Inkling won't have any over-complicated gimmick and that they don't end up being camping characters.
  • I prefer playing as male Corrin and male Villager over their female versions. I'll probably play as male Inkling as well, since it is associated with blue color.

These are the ones that come to my mind currently.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Smash 64 and Melee did a much poorer job when it comes to create newcomers: in 64 and Melee, they were probably more concerned on creating "fighting game" characters, while in Brawl and Smash 4 they created the characters with their original appearances in mind. Sure, there're some exceptions (Zelda and Sheik being the most notable one, in my opinion), but I generally feel they should "reboot" the series.
I agree about Melee and Brawl fighters overall feeling a bit more like their original selves but I think it's nice to have more simplistic veterans. Otherwise the game would be significantly harder to get into imo.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I agree about Melee and Brawl fighters overall feeling a bit more like their original selves but I think it's nice to have more simplistic veterans. Otherwise the game would be significantly harder to get into imo.
My point is that characters don't necessarily need some over-complicated gimmicks to be close to their canon appearances, Corrin is an example.
Take Mario for example. His moveset has some cool moves from his original games (jab, Fireball, down Smash, you could argue that side Smash comes from M&L: Superstar Saga even though it clearly doesn't since Melee came out before Superstar Saga), some nice original moves (fair is the best one, but up Smash is another example), and some boring moves, most notably the Cape and the Fludd. They should really rework veteran characters in order to make them feel more fresh, current, and unique.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Alright I have some more here:

Young Link and Pichu should both come back, albeit with either reworked or completely overhauled movesets

I wouldn't mind an Undertale character in Smash in the slightest.

I know this has been said a lot, but I feel that the Mario and Pokémon series, since they are the most popular, should have no real limit on characters. For example, I would be totally fine with 3 Mario characters coming in Smash 5 (like the three I want the most, Caotain Toad, Waluigi, and King Boo).

I absolutely feel like an indie character deserves a place in the game, they've been a major part of Nintendo for the past several years, and I'd love to see a character like Shovel Knight make it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's some:
  • I hate the idea of massive overhalls for vets. Changing how they play in Smash does a disservice to people who like the character's Smash playstyle.
  • I don't think Zelda really needs a new character. The series is better repped through the variety of stages, items, and assist trophies it currently has.
  • Likewise, I don't mind the current roster of Fire Emblem characters. With the exception of Roy and Lucina, all the characters feel unique enough to justify themselves. Roy and Lucina are popular enough in the Smash and Fire Emblem fanbases respectively to justify their inclusion
  • I really don't like the idea of Sora in Smash. a Dragon Quest character is way more deserving of the spot and has much more potential, IMO.
  • The only indie character I really feel has a chance of making the launch roster is Steve from Minecraft. I could see an indie get in through Smash Ballot but only as DLC, and even then they'll need a very strong lead in the ballot.
  • Mimikyu would leave me extremely disappointed. I don't have too much against the character itself, but I feel that Decidueye and Lycanroc would be more unique and I personally have a greater connection to those two.
  • I don't get the hatedom for Pichu. He was never meant to be taken as seriously as the Smash community takes him, he's just a fun joke character.
  • Sylux would be lame. Give me Ridley or give me death

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I have another unpopular opinion. Well maybe it's unpopular. But whatever

I think Sakurai needs to lessen the amount of single player modes in smash. Smash bros should be 95% about the multiplayer. I think modes like All-Star and Adventure are getting stale. Classic I guess can stay in just because we can't have a smash game without master hand. I still can't help but feel that I wouldn't miss classic if that was dropped (which I'm sure it won't.).

I would like to see a smash game that was solely multiplayer. With as many characters and stages as possible and no technological limitations to hold the development team back like the 3ds smash last time.

Jsmans89

Smash Rookie
Ridley is too massive. There's a reason he's a boss in the subspace emissary in Brawl and Pyrosphere in WiiU.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Unpopular Smash Opinions-

We shouldn't have anymore assist trophies in the game! As I feel as if some of those assist trophies should actually be playable characters (Mainly Samurai Goroh, Ghirahim, Isaac, Dark Samus, Saki, Waluigi, Takamaru, ect,)

Samus And Zero Suit Samus (Along With Zelda And Sheik) Should just be like they were in the previous games and not separate character's (It's very jarring and I do feel as if it's just wasting roster slots when they could have been filled up with a newcomer)!

I don't think Smash needs an Indie game rep

Earthbound, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Punch-Out, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Star Fox, And Kirby should have the boom in content that Fire Emblem, Pokemon, And Mario had in SSB4

We should have more unlock-able on disc content to make the other mini-games worth playing through

We Should have more actual alternate costumes for all the character's and not more freaking pallet colors (I never once found such a thing interesting or enjoyable!

If Mega-Man, Sonic, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta,return! They should have other Sonic The Hedgehog, Mega-Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, And One or two Bayonetta character's join the roster alongside those series protagonist! Mainly,,,,,,,,,

Proto-Man, Dr. Wily, Bass, Sigma, And Zero (From The Mega-Man Series)

Knuckles, Tails, Dr. Robotnik/Eggman, Metal Sonic, Shadow (From The Sonic Series)

Chun-Li, Guile, Zangief, M. Bison, And Blanka (From The Street Fighter Series)

Sephiroth, Cecil Harvey, Tifa Lockhart, Squall Leonhart, And The Black Mage (From The Final Fantasy Series)

Jeanne And Rodin (Both Are From Bayonetta)

I don't think Smash needs an Indie game rep!

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
What the heck, I'll throw my hat into this ring again.

>I actually enjoy the voice clips for Bowser, DK, and Diddy that we hear now: it reminds me of the olden days when they were voiced by stock sound effects in their own series.
>I personally believe that Snake has a fair shot at coming back, particularly if Bomberman makes it into the game thanks to Super R.
>I think that Smash Tour deserves a second chance: it has potential, but there's all kinds of factors that bring it down.
>When it comes to characters, I could honestly care who's in and who's out (unless it's Waluigi, we need the WAA desperately for the quartet to be complete).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular Smash Opinions-

Samus And Zero Suit Samus (Along With Zelda And Sheik) Should just be like they were in the previous games and not separate character's (It's very jarring and I do feel as if it's just wasting roster slots when they could have been filled up with a newcomer)!

Earthbound, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Punch-Out, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Star Fox, And Kirby should have the boom in content that Fire Emblem, Pokemon, And Mario had in SSB4

We Should have more actual alternate costumes for all the character's and not more freaking pallet colors (I never once found such a thing interesting or enjoyable!
Roster numbers are not limited. If Zelda and Sheik shares a same slot, only things that would change is they'd have same down specials again, and you have select the one you want to play manually each time.

Not all the series you listed can have one-two characters. There'd left no time for new series.

Alternate costumes requires extra modelling and planning. Doing it for every character is a ridiculous amount of work for something essentially just a cool bonus.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
- A character's status as a villain isn't something Sakurai considers for Smash newcomers. Smash could use more villains, sure but being a villain won't make a character more likely.

- Nobody knows what the results of the Smash Ballot were. It annoys me so much when people claim that King K. Rool or Geno scored high on the Smash Ballot because they got Mii costumes. The costumes could have been included because those two characters have just been requested for a long time by vocal fans but were never thought to be realizable. They've never released the results of the Smash Ballot (aside from Bayo being highly requested in Europe) so know one truly knows.

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
tbh I wouldn't mind if the newer "story" actually did something with the whole 'worlds collide' concept, it's the main reason subspace was so disappointing, that would've been the perfect opportunity to create platforming stages based on the different universes and allow you to explore them as characters that don't belong there.
Doesn’t every stage in PlayStation all star represent two series at once? I wouldn’t want smash to do that but a few crossover stages could be nice.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I have another unpopular opinion. Well maybe it's unpopular. But whatever

I think Sakurai needs to lessen the amount of single player modes in smash. Smash bros should be 95% about the multiplayer. I think modes like All-Star and Adventure are getting stale. Classic I guess can stay in just because we can't have a smash game without master hand. I still can't help but feel that I wouldn't miss classic if that was dropped (which I'm sure it won't.).

I would like to see a smash game that was solely multiplayer. With as many characters and stages as possible and no technological limitations to hold the development team back like the 3ds smash last time.
I sort of agree. I would keep Classic Mode, Trophies, Homerun Contest, Master/Crazy Orders, and Multi-Man (classic has you facing an army already so not a problem) and focus energy on individual Target Tests again.

Smash Run and Smash Tour are interesting concepts but they both dont work for Smash. The source material they based them off has more liberty and Smash does not allow for much movement since it is on a 2D plain.

All Star mode was fun at the time but its gotten stale especially since they have strict linear orders nowadays.

I honestly haven't touched Events in Smash 4 and found the Brawl ones largely uninspiring. I will defend Melee's to the death however.

Target Blast is a waste. It is Homerun Contest with a different goal. Pass.

I do not think we need a mode to obtain trophies but if we must then Coin Launcher it should be.

And Masterpieces well without VC it is not coming back.

I would re-introduce the Chronicle but also add artwork and developer commentaries per series in it. I feel lile the Nintendo celebration goes largely unnoticed outside of characters, stages, and items and it is a shame.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I want to punch someone when people talk about "bringing back Young link from melee" like if teh character ever got cut :/

While we are at it, lets bring back smash 64 kirby and Brawl's dedede as returning veterans, alongside dedede and kirby, cause, i mean. .. they are different characters, arent they?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
They have no reason to balance for 1v1s. Clearly competitive players don’t care, considering how long even Brawl was played. And nobody actually wants to learn 60 matchups.

Besides, you can’t truly balance 1v1s anyway.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I would like a middle ground between For Fun and For Glory. The two are just so polarizing. One is a chaotic mess and the other is just Final Destination all the time.

An online mode where only a few items are on and set to low, and a variety of stages are available but the one's that are too hazardous are gone. An onlinr middle ground between competitive and casual.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I would like a middle ground between For Fun and For Glory. The two are just so polarizing. One is a chaotic mess and the other is just Final Destination all the time.

An online mode where only a few items are on and set to low, and a variety of stages are available but the one's that are too hazardous are gone. An online middle ground between competitive and casual.
Amen to that. Smash 4 in general is a game of extremes; the stages are either too small, flat, and/or boring to support anything more than a FG-style 1v1, or too cramped, massive, and/or chaotic to be able to support a fun or fair match. Online is either filled with tryhards, ragequitters, and assholes on For Glory, or people who don't actually want to play the game on For Fun. The items are all so broken that you're basically playing For Glory without them, or a full-on messy FFA with even just a few of them, and the Assist Trophies in particular are all either impossible to play around or effectively useless.

What the devteam needs to realize is that Smash shouldn't be divided into "Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination" and "I've never touched a controller before and am playing this game for the first time at a party"; there are players who enjoy playing free-for-alls with items on and on random stages, but still don't like getting their asses handed to them by the game itself, myself included. I sincerely hope that this next game works on making more balanced stages (or a stage hazard toggle, which would honestly be wondrous at this point), better online infrastructure, and less BS items, along with much better singleplayer. I want Smash to appeal to a wide audience, and not just hardcore players and hypercasuals.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
-Infinite Air Dodging options are unbalanced. It should be 2 max. I do think Melee's design ultimately was also unbalanced, as if you made an error, you're basically a sitting duck. And Duck Hunt wasn't even a character yet!
-For Fun and For Glory do need a middle ground, yeah. The extremes make it less fun. Even a Battlefield-style stage options with barely any items(and nothing super powerful like Bob-Ombs should be allowed in. Beam Sword, for instance, is really fair).
-I think Moblin Ganon is the best way to represent the side of Ganon/dorf with a weapon and magic as a focus. Beast Ganon being a Final Smash wouldn't make a difference anyway, as they're beyond different forms.
-I would be okay with Pokemon Trainer returning if it was a completely different one. While the generic Trainer idea was hardly bad(as it let you choose your name effectively, and with Ash being more recognizable than Red, it was easier to not name him specifically. Coupled with the fact his trophy just describes him as an everyday trainer... and then compares him to Ash in 4, well... yeah), he only worked well as a concept by using all 3 Types. A new trainer that doesn't focus on that could be fun. One being based around Team Rocket and using various Pokemon for attacks, with Meowth as the main one being controlled could work well.
-BOTW Link I doubt is a newcomer, and just a quick change-up. If any move would get replaced, though, it'd be the Boomerang, as there's no main Boomerang weapon like there is a Sword, Bow, or Bombs. It's just another slashing weapon.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I don't care for the Kirby franchise & it wouldn't bother me if it didn't get any new representation. Also, I personally find Kirby to be one of the most obnoxious characters to fight in any Smash game. Not because he's hard to fight against, but because of the way most people play him. It usually involves constantly waiting near the ledge, and...
  1. Back-throwing off the ledge.
  2. F-throwing of the ledge.
  3. Trying to inhale you, and jump off the ledge.
It doesn't help that he's small (making him hard to hit), and extremely common (I see about a dozen a day when playing For Glory). This makes for a character that isn't hard to beat, but is usually very un-fun to play against.

Also, if Kirby does get new representation, I want Rick more than Bandanna Dee.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People swear that King Rool is a character everyone in the Smash community wants when there is no way to know for sure. Online forums like this may represent a measly 5% of the total consumer base who bought Smash. Unless there is extensive research across several media for people who are into games there is no way to know for sure if King Rool is as requested as people hype him to be. You also have to take into account that his last major appearance as a villain in a main DK game was on DK64 which came out in 1999, so you have to take into account the generational gap with gamers who may not have been exposed to the series unlike those of us who grew up in the 90s.

This seems really interesting, here's my take:
Nintendo has the potential to somewhat reunite the different smash bros communities by giving smash 5 a good sub-space emissary / adventure mode, making things like L canceling, wave dashing, ledge hogging, and tripping on and off switches in a menu not unlike the one for special brawl (same for stage hazards and seriously improving the online multi player so you can control these things in ranked matches from what we've seen in the past. I'm sure someone would complain about something but I think these things would do a lot of good for the community and the game itself.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Fire Emblem IS over represented (look through this entire thread, literally everyone mentioning FE thinks it isn't.) because it's accomplishments are ****ing nothing compared to every other series that gets a lot of characters. It's biggest games didn't even sell 2 million meanwhile Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda all have games that sold well over 10 million individually, which is around what every FE game sold combined. It's even worse when you look at FE's 2017 releases. Shadows of Valentia didn't even sell a million copies (No, it doesn't matter that it's a remake, DK Returns 3D, Majora's Mask/OOT 3D, and Pokemon Omega Ruby/Sapphire were also remakes, and they did much better even though people were more likely to have played the original compared to FE2.) and Warriors is the only Switch game so far with Nintendo characters that didn't break a million copies sold(we'll have to wait to see how TF and Hyrule Warriors did to be sure) It needed to combine with the 3DS version to SHIP a million. Not sold, ship. Speaking of Warriors, it's hypocritical of the FE community to talk about how "representation" doesn't matter for Smash but to then have a fit when Warriors didn't feature their favorite FE character.

And no, Heroes isn't proof of anything. The money it's made is from a few thousand people spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on JPEGs. It has less downloads than Mario Run, Pokemon Go, and even Animal Crossing. Just to further re-iterate the gap between Pokemon and FE, the Pokemon games sell more than the total downloads of FE: Heroes, meaning it's easier to convince someone to pay 40 dollars for a pokemon game on their dedicated gaming device than it is to get someone to download a FE game for free on something almost everyone in First world countries own, a smartphone.

Roy/Corrin being added as "advertising" is a terrible argument because it never worked to begin with and is more likely just an excuse from Sakurai to add as much FE as possible. How come FE is the only series that gets advertisement slots? If Roy was added for advertising, why was he a secret character? Why did they advertise a game that was only coming out in Japan? His game didn't sell any better than previous FE's, so it was a complete waste. Same with Corrin, since her game barely did better than Awakening especially if you consider that the game came out with two different versions which many people probably bought both of. If a new FE rep from switch is added to "advertise" FE16, then that's ultimate proof that Sakurai is biased. Also he added Corrin because IS asked him to? Really? Why does Intelligent Systems have so much power in a game they're not developing? Sakurai said he wouldn't add Pacman if he had to use his newer design, so he has power to decline Namcos requests, but not IS? Am I supposed to believe that Sakurai is helpless to IS but can say "**** you" to Namco, a company partially developing the game?

That's all I feel like writing for now. If you disagree with me and want to reply then feel free to DM me with a response since disagreement is banned in this thread for whatever reason.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
That's all I feel like writing for now. If you disagree with me and want to reply then feel free to DM me with a response since disagreement is banned in this thread for whatever reason.
i mean disagreeing with an unpopular opinion is what the entire rest of smashboards is for lmao, the whole point of this thread is to air your grievances with the common opinions and not get told you're wrong

that said, i'm with you on fire emblem being overdone. donkey kong feels neglected, star fox lost a unique and meaningful character from brawl, but fire emblem's selection grows by four? nothing against fire emblem but why the special treatment?

actually now that i'm thinking about FE i do have a little more resentment to get out of my system - it feels like a lot of the people who get on you for suggesting it might have too many characters all at once, are the same people who will shoot down all the popular zelda picks because they only had one appearance. correct me if im wrong but isn't fire emblem the same way? characters and settings come and go, with very little reappearing from one story to the next

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
i mean disagreeing with an unpopular opinion is what the entire rest of smashboards is for lmao, the whole point of this thread is to air your grievances with the common opinions and not get told you're wrong

that said, i'm with you on fire emblem being overdone. donkey kong feels neglected, star fox lost a unique and meaningful character from brawl, but fire emblem's selection grows by four? nothing against fire emblem but why the special treatment?

actually now that i'm thinking about FE i do have a little more resentment to get out of my system - it feels like a lot of the people who get on you for suggesting it might have too many characters all at once, are the same people who will shoot down all the popular zelda picks because they only had one appearance. correct me if im wrong but isn't fire emblem the same way? characters and settings come and go, with very little reappearing from one story to the next

YES. I've heard the argument before that fire emblem has overall more popular characters than Zelda ever could and that Zelda should never receive more characters. Really upset me, I'll tell you that

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I have a lot of bad opinions, so I'll come back to this thread eventually.

But there's a thing I'll get off my chest, here and now.
I don't want Ganondorf to be reworked. :'(

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice

An online mode where only a few items are on and set to low, and a variety of stages are available but the one's that are too hazardous are gone. An onlinr middle ground between competitive and casual.
Omg this. My friend refuses to play on any stage other than final destination when we play together, even relatively neutral stages like battlefield. One guess as to why that is...

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Roy/Corrin being added as "advertising" is a terrible argument because it never worked to begin with and is more likely just an excuse from Sakurai to add as much FE as possible. How come FE is the only series that gets advertisement slots? If Roy was added for advertising, why was he a secret character? Why did they advertise a game that was only coming out in Japan? His game didn't sell any better than previous FE's, so it was a complete waste. Same with Corrin, since her game barely did better than Awakening especially if you consider that the game came out with two different versions which many people probably bought both of. If a new FE rep from switch is added to "advertise" FE16, then that's ultimate proof that Sakurai is biased. Also he added Corrin because IS asked him to? Really? Why does Intelligent Systems have so much power in a game they're not developing? Sakurai said he wouldn't add Pacman if he had to use his newer design, so he has power to decline Namcos requests, but not IS? Am I supposed to believe that Sakurai is helpless to IS but can say "**** you" to Namco, a company partially developing the game?
Here is in my unpopular opinion: People who argue against the addition of Roy or Corrin as an advertisement for their games and see it as part of Sakurai's personal agenda are clueless about what they are talking about. No matter how in charge the guy is, the man also has to answer to Nintendo who may have interests on it's own. And it's funny how Roy's addition as an ad is ruffling some feathers now but not back then despite being accepted at the time.
Why was he a secret character? They wanted to give players sometime to unlock. Why did they advertise a game that was only coming out in Japan? This may come as a shocker, but companies advertise to sell things. And what if his game didn't sell that well, what does that have to do with it? The point is that they tried to advertise it to sell enough but that doesn't always succeed. Why are you asking this irrelevant questions? It's because it's a terrible argumentative tactic where the side asking them think that if one goes unanswered, no matter how insignificant it is to the matter at hand, it invalidates the opposing view.

And what does Sakurai gain from following an agenda that you and other fellow tin foil hat wearing people claim he has? It's like you people have never seen behind the scenes from movies, TV series and games where a director can get superseded by the corporation he is working for. Examples include Josh Wedon on Age of Ultron and Peter Jackson on the Hobbit. An unpopular opinion doesn't mean it may not be ignorant by default.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Personally I don't feel Fire Emblem was overrepresented...except for Corrin. Robin's inclusion was a really good one and Lucina's is understandable, I'd rather she be standalone than be an alt. Roy got in on the merits of being a veteran more so than being an FE character. But Corrin just felt like such overkill, I know they wanted to represent and advertise a new game but A) they didn't have to do that, they could've done a second ballot choice or something and B) there were other games out at the time that could've been represented rather than bringing in ANOTHER fire emblem character. Had they saved Corrin's inclusion for Smash Switch then they would've been a much more welcome inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom