• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
  • Mario and it’s spin-offs getting more newcomers does not bother me in the slightest. As far as I’m concerned, it’s THE Nintendo franchise, and can have as many reps as Sakurai wants.
  • That being said, I genuinely don’t understand the high demand for Ashley.
  • Mother/Earthbound is much more over represented than the other franchises people complain about.
  • For future DLC - I would rather pay for costumes and stages over cut veterans.
  • Clones don’t bother me too much. If we get some new ones, I hope they’re more like Melee and Brawl’s clones. Those games actually found a way to add popular characters in to the games last minute, rather than Dark Pit.
  • Including Sheik in the games hasn’t meant sense since Melee. I hope her move set is repurposed.
  • The original characters are starting to become boring to play as, and their movesets are showing their age. I’d rather less newcomers than usual if it meant we got completely revamped veterans.
  • Snake and Cloud have never fit in and I hope they both never come back.
  • People only seem to care about cut characters when they are actually cut.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
  • I understand that certain characters aren't appealing, but unless the character itself is insulting, I think people don't have an excuse to hate a character's inclusion. Dislike? Sure. Hate? Nah.
  • I've never understood why a character "doesn't fit" especially when they were already included in a Smash game. It seems tribalistic to me.
  • I don't like playing as Corrin but I want them to return.
  • Clones are good but Dark Pit is not acceptable. Not because of his character, but because I can count the difference they have on one hand. Lucina is almost unacceptable but her gimmick at least changes a fair amount of stuff, even if it barely does. That said both characters were good candidates for clone characters.
  • I think Rex and Pyra are overhated and I have no strong feelings for them.
  • Elma would be a fantastic newcomer.
  • People seem to focus almost entirely on fanservice rather playability when making a moveset.
  • This fanbase likes to **** on other members of the fanbase too much.
  • More third parties won't magically make your favorite Nintendo newcomers impossible.
  • Pokemon and Fire Emblem should take a break and not get newcomers this time around.
  • Zelda needs a newcomer but it shouldn't be any form of Link, Zelda or Ganondorf.
  • People who don't like new characters just because they aren't who they grew up with are one of the biggest issues with this community. It's not that you shouldn't want the old characters. Its when you reject the new because it isn't the old, that I take offense.

D

Deleted member

People who don't like new characters just because they aren't who they grew up with are one of the biggest issues with this community. It's not that you shouldn't want the old characters. Its when you reject the new because it isn't the old, that I take offense.
I've been wanting to say this for several days now but I wasn't sure how to word it, but you did it perfectly.
Thank you so much for saying this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
People who complain about Mario & Pokemon having to many reps are silly. They're Nintendo's two biggest franchise & two of the most iconic game franchises of all time. I find it ridiculous that people compare them to FE when debating representation for Smash. FE was about to die for Awakening, and notoriety feels largely inflated by it's fan base.

I want Scorpion or Sub-Zero in Smash. The MK franchise has a long history with Nintendo & toning down the violence doesn't take away from those characters. They're been toned down before & worked (see: Injustice & the MK movie), and there are other ways to represent the series like having characters use animalities are their final smash or friendships as taunts.

I'm OK with roster cuts.

I've said it before & I'll say again... Unique concepts doesn't equate to unique move-sets. You can have a sword wielding dog, but if that dog still generically swings their sword forward or has a generic sword slash for their up-spec, etc... They're bland.

I like rage. The only thing I'd change about it is make it so that the person who has more stocks loses rage. Unless I'm missing something, rage is suppose to be a comeback mechanic but it kind of misses its mark if the person winning in the one benefiting from it.

I like the way Smash 4 players. Perhaps it could be a little faster & magnet hand recovers should be toned down (I still want ledge trumping), but outside of that I'm fine with how the game plays. I've not sure why every fighting game has to be super offensive. The fact that Smash 4 is so defensive actually makes it stand out from other fighters while still being fun to play.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I like rage. The only thing I'd change about it is make it so that the person who has more stocks loses rage. Unless I'm missing something, rage is suppose to be a comeback mechanic but it kind of misses its mark if the person winning in the one benefiting from it.

I like the way Smash 4 players. Perhaps it could be a little faster & magnet hand recovers should be toned down (I still want ledge trumping), but outside of that I'm fine with how the game plays. I've not sure why every fighting game has to be super offensive. The fact that Smash 4 is so defensive actually makes it stand out from other fighters while still being fun to play.
This I can get behind. I'm not a fan of rage as it but I'd be for it if and only if it was benefiting the one behind in stocks and damage.

Secondly, what you said about smash 4 being defense is very true. I think this change started in brawl and is more prevalent than ever in smash 4. I prefer smash being defense and more about mind games than just being routine where you're just using the same guaranteed combos over and over. This is why I like brawl's additions to aerial dodging and so on. I hope smash 4's defensive play carries over in smash 5 and takes it a step further.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I am actually on the same page when you said "I'll be upset if they take out Smash Run."

Outside of that:
  • I wish they brought back Break the Targets where every character got THEIR OWN level. (Like in Melee)
  • I didn't like Greninja in Smash and I find it to be overrated all together
    • I preferred Squirtle a LOT more
  • I would actually enjoy Pichu coming back
  • I actually want playable Birdo in smash
  • I wish there was DLC Costumes for other characters than Miis
    • I don't really like Miis even though I love Character Customization
  • I actually love characters that are surprising like the Wii Fit Trainer
  • I would actually enjoy having Shrek or Goku in Smash

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
  • This fanbase likes to **** on other members of the fanbase too much.
This is hardly an unpopular opinion. It’s just that we are finally starting to talk about this issue and removing toxic people. It’s hard work when these toxic people are so entrenched, and so willfully defended.

Smashboards is a radically different place from a year ago, even if it’s in rough shape as a result...

Oddball

Smash Lord
I have no problem with an anime, movie, or comic character appearing as DLC. Having said that, I still don't want Goku. Sailor Moon would fit into Nintendo's style much better.

If Snake does get back in, his needs his old NES era Metal gear outfit as an alt. If he wants to play with the Nintendo gang, he needs to bring his Nintendo clothes.

Nobody ever mentions third party stages and I don't know why. Tetris and Frogger don't bring much to the game character wise, but they could make for some really fun stages.

Everybody thinks the characters they like deserve to be in Smash bros more than the characters that somebody else likes. All of these people are wrong except for me. Bayou Billy deserves a slot in Smash!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Nobody ever mentions third party stages and I don't know why. Tetris and Frogger don't bring much to the game character wise, but they could make for some really fun stages.
YES YES YES!!!

I never understood making a tetromino playable, but since they remixed the two Tetris themes, that’s my first priority for making a custom stage. Worked better in Brawl with that droppable box.

But I can just imagine a stage where they randomly dropped tetrominos to build something. Bonus points if it includes crushing as a main KO style since it’s in a box, or a decent knockback if you’re standing on a line that disappears based on how many lines are simultaneously completed.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I think that Simon Belmont should get in over Bomberman. Castlevania just seems like a MUCH more important franchise than the Bomberman series to me. It baffles my mind when people say Bomberman over him and it makes me think people have a strange fixation over mascot characters and childhood icons.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I think that Simon Belmont should get in over Bomberman. Castlevania just seems like a MUCH more important franchise than the Bomberman series to me. It baffles my mind when people say Bomberman over him and it makes me think people have a strange fixation over mascot characters and childhood icons.
I think that tends to happen a lot. People will hype a character for smash because of how iconic that character is. While being iconic can help, that doesn't necessarily make them a good candidate.

RBL JayHawK

Smash Rookie
Honestly 4 years of Smash 4 now there is a new game this is way to early for a Smash 5

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
3rd party characters are often thought of like guest characters but characters like Zero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terra Branford, and Simon Belmont wouldn't feel like guest characters at all to me. To me, these characters coming to Smash would be like them coming back home if anything. They aren't special guest characters. They're just as much Nintendo characters as Ike or King Dedede is to me. They all started on Nintendo and defined a generation of Nintendo games. Nintendo just happens not to own them.

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
>Indies should not get in smash.

>Same goes for non video game characters.

>3rd party characters are fine in moderation, as long as they actually, you know, appeared on a Nintendo console. And no Cloud, some rythm spin-off and Kingdom Hearts do not count.

>Marshadow is my most wanted Pokémon newcomer. People that don’t want Mimikyu have bad taste as well.

>GIMME ALL THE XENOBLADE CHARACTERS. ALL OF THEM.

>The movesets of many of the original characters are in severe need of a revamp. Look at Mario. Despite being the most recognizable gaming icon and the countless abilities displayed in his games, he has one of the most generic movesets

>”Too many swordfighters” is nonsense.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
*sigh* Finally got an account, and boy what a topic to put my debut post!! This'll be fun...

> Before Cloud came onto the scene, :4sheik: was my least favorite character in all of Smash. Despite being only an ancillary presence in the Zelda series, she hogs up all the tournament attention in the Smash games while the other Zelda characters get left in the dust and/or stuck in mid-tier limbo. The only reason she was even considered for inclusion in Melee is because Sakurai wanted to be cute with :4zelda:'s moveset, which ultimately ****ed Zelda up bigtime. Seriously, if it wasn't for Smash, Shiek would've been a mere footnote in Zelda history. She wouldn't even be featured in Hyrule Warriors (although considering Marin is in the game...)

>If 3rd party support is gonna continue, I have a very strict ground rule for who I want in: if a random schlub from the street who doesn't know much about video games can recognize the character, they can get in. If not, no. That ultimately means that :4bayonetta: would get cut under this standard, even though I like her and don't really want to see her go.

>Footstooling should be heavily nerfed if it comes back at all

>I kinda feel like we're not gonna get the next gen Pokemon rep or the new Fire Emblem Lord this time around. Too soon I guess

>Subspace Emissary was great

>:4kirby: should always and forever more be the "beginner" character, even if that means he'll never go far in tournaments again (Smash 64 was weird tho...)

>Every "retro" inclusion (:popo: :4pit: :4duckhunt:) and every "wtf" inclusion (:4gaw: :4rob: :4wiifit:) has been great so far and can't wait to see who they go for now (I don't count :4littlemac: as retro, at least not at the time)

>:4luigi:'s Final Smash in Brawl fits his character more than people will give it credit for, even if the Poltergust 5000 is objectively better in every degree

Now here's the section where I talk about :4yoshi:. Get used to it with me...

>Yoshi should be top tier this time around. Yeah I know, standard wish fulfillment stuff, but for some reason when it comes to Yoshi, people are bizarrely resistant to the idea. All the support would go to characters like :4jigglypuff: :4charizard: :4wario: :4zelda: and :4ganondorf: (even though I agree with the latter two needing to be top tier) but with Yoshi it's like "Oh, he's fine where he's at." No it's not fine where he's at. Yes, he got an absurd rework in between games, but it wasn't enough. I want that to change next Smash game, but I feel like nobody's on my side here...

>Everyone praises Brawl's character selection for it's organization, but what really grinds my gears is that Yoshi is the only one of the Original 8 NOT ON THE TOP ROW!!! I call bull****!!! Yes that actually, unironically irritates me. It makes it seem like of the original vets, the developers care about him the least. "But Zinith you scrub, it makes sense because Yoshi is meant to be represented by the Mario fra--" STOP RIGHT THERE!!! No he doesn't!!! He represents the Yoshi franchise, and since he's one of the 8, he should've been on the top row. Period.

>Implementing Poochy in any way shape or form to Yoshi's moveset is stupid, nor do I see him becoming a playable character.

>I don't know if people unironically said that Yoshi should be cut during Brawl and Smash 4's development and instead should become an item (and yes, I'm aware of the "Yoshi was cut" meme/joke. Not the same thing), but if that were the case, there's a special place in hell for them...

>I might be the only living creature in the entire multiverse who wishes for Boshi to get in, if only to see the salt and rage volcano erupt. It would be glorious. Boshi checks every box for a character no Smash player likes: obvious clone, zero relevancy, the textbook definition of underdeveloped, unoriginal moveset (although I might have some ideas hehehe), and most of all, a GENO FAN SALT MINE!!! Sakurai might actually care about that last point. No one would expect him, not even me. If I saw his reveal trailer, I would have a ****ing heart attack and die. I like Boshi for his potential to be the character he was always meant to be: the Wario equivalent to Yoshi (that's not me spitballing either. Boshi's Japanese name is Washi). Like I said earlier, he was CRIMINALLY underdeveloped in SMRPG, basically being a run-of-the-mill Yoshi but with a superiority complex. Yawn. But when you consider that :4wario2: is basically the opposite of :4mario: in most ways, can you imagine what the same would be to Yoshi? The prospect is frightening to be honest. Boshi would be the most unpleasant, uncute, perverse and nastiest creature in existence if I were to see things that way. And I would love it!!!

Anyways, that's it. I don't know if those were actually unpopular opinions or not or if I'm just a long-winded autist. I'll just have to see

Megaban

Smash Cadet
Oof, that will hurt some internally.
-Shantae and Shovel Knight have no business being playable. They aren't iconic enough and should be Assist Trophies at best.

-I don't mind Dr. Mario at all, he feels way different from Mario and can stay the same.

-I want Olimar and Alph separated. Olimar would be more akin to Brawl self (6 Pikmin, random order), Alph -like in Smash 4 (3 pikmin, set order). That includes different Up Bs.

-I don't want the 70 character roster. No. I want it to be BIGGER. Even beyond like 80. Like give more characters a chance!

-i don't mind 6 FE characters. Heck, I want Anna, so I wouldn't mind 7 lol.

-Mario series can afford more than 1 newcomer, this is a HUGE series, it can have 2-3 more characters than others.

-I want Spin-offs to be represented more. Like not even characters (like I'll talk about my own niche picks later), but also stages, Assist Trophies, items etc. Imagine A Pokemon Mystery Dungeon -themed stage or one of Paper Mario partners as assist trophy.

-Excitebike as a new retro newcomer. With a mix of moves from Mach Rider too.

-Sheik can go, she's pretty much irrelevant now. Was a side character in one game and was in a spinoff where there are a LOT of characters that could be regarded as not that important. Instead, I'd want Lana from Hyrule Warriors in that place.

-I wouldn't mind Rex from Xenoblade 2, BUT I think Poppi would be better choice. Not Tora and Poppi. JUST Poppi. Rex would be another swordie (I don't mind them, but I want more uniqueness.

-Let's go into realm of ridiculousness and say I want Harp Note from Megaman Starforce. Super bias, yes. But I'd die of happiness if that happens.

OOF. That was a lot.

Last edited:

Platty

Smash Rookie
I"d rather have Vanilluxe, Chandelure and Sigilyph playable rather than Lucario, Mewtwo and Charizard.
As much as I deeply love Lucario, I agree; it would be super cool to finally have a Smash character that isn't human shaped. (Two arms, two legs)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
>I might be the only living creature in the entire multiverse who wishes for Boshi to get in, if only to see the salt and rage volcano erupt. It would be glorious. Boshi checks every box for a character no Smash player likes: obvious clone, zero relevancy, the textbook definition of underdeveloped, unoriginal moveset (although I might have some ideas hehehe), and most of all, a GENO FAN SALT MINE!!! Sakurai might actually care about that last point. No one would expect him, not even me. If I saw his reveal trailer, I would have a ****ing heart attack and die. I like Boshi for his potential to be the character he was always meant to be: the Wario equivalent to Yoshi (that's not me spitballing either. Boshi's Japanese name is Washi). Like I said earlier, he was CRIMINALLY underdeveloped in SMRPG, basically being a run-of-the-mill Yoshi but with a superiority complex. Yawn. But when you consider that :4wario2: is basically the opposite of :4mario: in most ways, can you imagine what the same would be to Yoshi? The prospect is frightening to be honest. Boshi would be the most unpleasant, uncute, perverse and nastiest creature in existence if I were to see things that way. And I would love it!!!
Oh well I am one of the few people who supports Boshi BUT secretly because I know a lot of people would say many things against this same goes for characters like Mallow (Weather fighter) and Smithy (Shape shifter) and Axem Rangers (Axe and magic users) and Booster (Wario clone) and Culex (All elements fighter) but I think they are all would be fun and creative to have and I would be hyped for them.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
  • King K. Rool bores me so much, and this is coming from a bohemian who loves creating off-the-wall & unconventional characters. Its not so much that I think about his support base when I consider him, but any of his merits as a fighter or even a character have worn out on me, and its almost like they're carrying him instead of letting him prove himself just by... being a character!
  • Isabelle has more than enough material to work with. I personally think she'd be great utilizing Animal Crossing's emote animations for basic attacks & erecting/breaking Public Works Projects w/ the help of Lloid along with a Bells mechanic to fund more diverse & devastating Projects.
  • Marx & Bandana Waddle Dee would be great in the same game. Why do they have to cannibalize each other?
  • Galacta Knight would work better as a full-fledged fighter than a clone. But if that's what it comes down to, whatever.
  • Cloud still bores the shrimp outta me to this day.
  • I fantasize about Ragna the Bloodedge or Sol Badguy wrecking the rest of the cast with their hard-hitting, flashy combos, and I would instantly main either in the event Arc System Works wants a guest character.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
  • FE can have as many damn characters as Sakurai wants, it's an ages old franchise and has become one of the top 4 most popular series Nintendo puts out.
  • Ice Climbers represent design decisions that are much older and don't make sense in new games.
  • Many older characters, pretty much all melee and earlier, should have complete redesigns to make use of the unique gameplay designs that are available now, not to mention how series and characters have changed over the years.
  • Third parties don't need some crazy importance to the history of games to make it into Smash, hell they don't even need to be some super popular series.
  • Pandering to Melee fans is a worse option than continuing along the current trajectory of the series both from csual enjoyment and competitive standpoints.
  • Ridley really is too big and awkwardly proportioned to work properly without changing who the character is.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I would never be dissapointed by a newcomer I didn't like if I knew the series was known to cut a lot of characters and replace them each new game.

In fact I would prefer it if the series cycled through various different Nintendo characters. That way each new game would be a surprise. You'll never know what the roster will look like. And sure, super important characters like Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, etc, should stay there forever. But I would find it interesting if a lot of other characters would be exclusive to that entry of Smash only. And then the new Smash would introduce a mostly new cast.

This is probably a VERY unpopular opinion. But at the same time I think there would be a lot less fighting over characters. A lot less, "This characters doesn't deserve to be on the roster!" or "This character needs to be in Smash more than this one."

If we all knew that being in Smash was only temporary I think the climate would be a lot less stressful. We would just enjoy what we got.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would never be dissapointed by a newcomer I didn't like if I knew the series was known to cut a lot of characters and replace them each new game.

In fact I would prefer it if the series cycled through various different Nintendo characters. That way each new game would be a surprise. You'll never know what the roster will look like. And sure, super important characters like Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, etc, should stay there forever. But I would find it interesting if a lot of other characters would be exclusive to that entry of Smash only. And then the new Smash would introduce a mostly new cast.

This is probably a VERY unpopular opinion. But at the same time I think there would be a lot less fighting over characters. A lot less, "This characters doesn't deserve to be on the roster!" or "This character needs to be in Smash more than this one."

If we all knew that being in Smash was only temporary I think the climate would be a lot less stressful. We would just enjoy what we got.
Yo I feel you on this one! It could've given us a lot of characters that would've been nice for just one entry.

D

Deleted member

Brawl is a more fun game competitively than Smash 4 is because I enjoy being able to kill earlier, rage doesn't exist, and there isn't ledge trumping.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
-I personally want Infernape in Super Smash Bros despite the fact that he's a Generation 4 Pokemon. He's my first starter, I loved him in the anime(So that's the reason I chose Chimchar), He had the best character story in the Pokemon anime and one of the best in media in my opinion and is pretty much just Goku so that'd shut up the Goku fans a bit.
-I would prefer Adeleine from Kirby 64 as a Kirby representative over Marx or Bandana Dee but I don't mind the two either.
-I would take Steve from Minecraft over Balloon Fighter, Any Undertale representative, and Cooking Mama. Not saying he should totally be in Smash Bros though but wouldn't mind it as much as others make it out to be.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Indies will only ever appear in smash via a second smash ballot.

Following on that, I actively do not want Shantae in smash.

Pokemon can get two reps this time due to it’s big anniversary

Third party stages and music must be a thing.

Third parties are gonna be a thing for a long time for smash, stop getting mad that we got 3 as dlc.

Smash does not need too much single player it just has to be fun. Melees was, 4 was not

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Really hoping that Mario doesn't get a newcomer, Odyssey moves would be enough and I feel like another character for the franchise at this point would be bottom of the barrel. I know that OP said this isn't a debate thread but I'd be happy if somebody could sway me.
Alright I'll try. I think of, at minimum, three Mario character that would work great in Smash.

1.) Captain Toad- Its time. Toad is an incredibly iconic character and definitely deserves a place in Smash.

2.) Waluigi- Also incredibly iconic. His meme status alone should cement his place in Smash, no question in my mind,

3.) Paper Mario- Even though his series isn't nearly as iconic nowadays, he is still very popular and could work very well in Smash.

There are still several others that could work, like Daisy, King Boo, Pauline, etc.. These are just examples, an di I would love to hear your reasoning as well.

Roberk

Smash Champion
CodakTheWarrior CodakTheWarrior
Just a warning, it’s kind of against the thread’s rules to dispute a post/quote it. I don’t really care, but be careful.

I’d like to calmly discuss if that’s ok.

Captain Toad- Just doesn’t feel that hype as a Mario newcomer. Sure, Toads are significant, but it wouldn’t be as a big of a reveal/inclusion as the other Mario reps we’ve gotten. Captain Toad himself only had one game and only debuted in SMG. IMO, his series should have some more growth before being included with the Mario franchise big bois.

Waluigi- This guy being included would be an insult to every character considered somewhat possible to Smash, not gonna lie. Sakurai kind of has him as the poster boy for assist trophies, significant enough to be included but playable? He’s only been in spin-offs, he just doesn’t sit right with me. Seems like the “we gotta have a Mario rep” pick tbh.

Paper Mario- I could see it happening, but the series like you said has fallen off recently. Could have movement potential but he seems like another “we gotta have a Mario rep” at this point. Also, while he is “paper” Mario, I’d rather have someone other than a Mario.

My friend has actually entertained the idea of King Boo to me a couple of times but Sakurai would have to get really creative with the implementation of a boo and its moveset. Not saying he can’t do it, but it’s one of those stretches. King Boo just doesn’t have the significance to really justify a lot of creativity and work to be put into him tbh.

While Daisy has a different personality than Peach and does different things, I think she fits more as a costume for peach. Not a color palette, but a fully model with different voice lines like Olimar/Alph. Like Waluigi, I just don’t think she has the significance to be prioritized as a fully fledged newcomer.

Pauline, what would she do? Sakurai has made movesets for non-fighters before, but that’s because Villager had predefined animations and actions that Sakurai just put into a fighting context. Rosalina had Lumas, launch stars, and Galaxy’s wonky gravity mechanics going for her. Pauline feels much more like people thinking “well she was in Odyssey so now she can be in Smash!” without those people actually questioning how she’d be a fighter. She could have something, but it’s not obvious to me.

I’m sure many other Mario characters have popularity and moveset potential, but as you move away from the central Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser there are diminishing returns. The characters become more and more obscure sidekicks, villains, and generic specieses the farther you go. They are just objectively not as significant as the core cast and will never reach that point. (This same argument can be made for Zelda characters, just adding that.) Nothing will ever match the existing inclusions of these franchises Andrew that’s why I get less and less hyped for Mario/Zelda newcomers.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Just a warning, it’s kind of against the thread’s rules to dispute a post/quote it. I don’t really care, but be careful.

Captain Toad- Just doesn’t feel that hype as a Mario newcomer. Sure, Toads are significant, but it wouldn’t be as a big of a reveal/inclusion as the other Mario reps we’ve gotten. Captain Toad himself only had one game and only debuted in SMG. IMO, his series should have some more growth before being included with the Mario franchise big bois.

Waluigi- This guy being included would be an insult to every character considered somewhat possible to Smash, not gonna lie. Sakurai kind of has him as the poster boy for assist trophies, significant enough to be included but playable? He’s only been in spin-offs, he just doesn’t sit right with me. Seems like the “we gotta have a Mario rep” pick tbh.

Paper Mario- I could see it happening, but the series like you said has fallen off recently. Could have movement potential but he seems like another “we gotta have a Mario rep” at this point. Also, while he is “paper” Mario, I’d rather have someone other than a Mario.

My friend has actually entertained the idea of King Boo to me a couple of times but Sakurai would have to get really creative with the implementation of a boo and its moveset. Not saying he can’t do it, but it’s one of those stretches. King Boo just doesn’t have the significance to really justify a lot of creativity and work to be put into him tbh.

While Daisy has a different personality than Peach and does different things, I think she fits more as a costume for peach. Not a color palette, but a fully model with different voice lines like Olimar/Alph. Like Waluigi, I just don’t think she has the significance to be prioritized as a fully fledged newcomer.

Pauline, what would she do? Sakurai has made movesets for non-fighters before, but that’s because Villager had predefined animations and actions that Sakurai just put into a fighting context. Rosalina had Lumas, launch stars, and Galaxy’s wonky gravity mechanics going for her. Pauline feels much more like people thinking “well she was in Odyssey so now she can be in Smash!” without those people actually questioning how she’d be a fighter. She could have something, but it’s not obvious to me.

I’m sure many other Mario characters have popularity and moveset potential, but as you move away from the central Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser there are diminishing returns. The characters become more and more obscure sidekicks, villains, and generic specieses the farther you go. They are just objectively not as significant as the core cast and will never reach that point. (This same argument can be made for Zelda characters, just adding that.) Nothing will ever match the existing inclusions of these franchises Andrew that’s why I get less and less hyped for Mario/Zelda newcomers.
You are right in saying I shouldn't have started a debate. That's completely my bad and I'll stop.

As for my personal unpopular opinion, I personally love clones in Smash and think they heavily strengthen the series as a whole. In fact, I really hope Pichu comes back in Smash 5, and I've been campaigning for him to come back for years.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I’m sure many other Mario characters have popularity and moveset potential, but as you move away from the central Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser there are diminishing returns. The characters become more and more obscure sidekicks, villains, and generic specieses the farther you go. They are just objectively not as significant as the core cast and will never reach that point. (This same argument can be made for Zelda characters, just adding that.) Nothing will ever match the existing inclusions of these franchises and that’s why I get less and less hyped for Mario/Zelda newcomers.
A mere like cannot express my sheer agreement with this post. I honestly hate most popular ideas for a new Mario character for the same reasons you listed; I often find them heavily forced, unrealizable as a unique and interesting fighter, or in the most egregious of cases, both. What we have now is good if you ask me (give or take Geno to satisfy the fanboy in me) as it covers all of the consistently recurring main series Mario characters bar a certain backpack-burdened Toad who, in my mind, has yet to prove himself as a viable candidate (and even then, I think we could afford to lose Rosalina in that regard - consider that my unpopular opinion).

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I think you could get some mileage out of Wart, Mouser, or Tatanga as Mario characters. They were never huge characters themselves, but I feel they do a good job representing some of the other places the Mario series has went.

Also regular Toad is a better choice than Captain Toad. I don't care what anyone says.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
  • People who aren't expecting a historical retro ala Mr. Game and Watch/R.O.B./Duck Hunt confuse me. The pattern is clearly established, and there's every reason to expect one. Predicting which one is the difficult thing.
  • Steve and Sora are both legitimate possibilities for inclusion. People write them off too much.
  • We should expect clones for this game. Us not speculating about them in Smash 4 was one of our biggest oversights.
  • People who actively do not want characters are ridiculous. If you'd be upset because a character was added to a video game, you're in too deep. This also makes people overlook characters instead of considering them seriously.
  • Elma is easily the better choice for a new Xenoblade representative if it comes down to Rex or her.
  • I do not expect any character that debuted in a Switch game to make it into the base roster. Rex and Spring Man make much more sense as DLC than anything else.
  • King K. Rool needs to appear in his own series again before he makes it into Smash Bros. People seem to forget that his last appearance was long enough ago that, if his absence from the mainline series was a person, it would be old enough to vote. Many modern Nintendo players don't know who he is, and for good reason. (Disclaimer, I really, really want him to be added to his own series again and for him to make it in. I just don't think it's happening right now.)
  • People not expecting Captain Toad are kidding themselves.
  • The Mario series could very well get not one, but two newcomers.

Troykv

Smash Master
Mario Multiverse and Pokémon will never feel over-represented, their universes are gigantic and ever expanding in multiple directions and always getting new interesting ideas, and old iconic characters.

Representation is important to select characters in one game (Getting like +2 Newcomers in a single game from any franchise that isn't Mario or Pokémon it's quite weird xD)... but representation shouldn't stop series if they're just that good in creating great concepts for movesets and cool characters with lasting popularity (Also, unshameful plug to visit the Micaiah Supporters Thread please).

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
  • The whole "Nintendo All-Stars" angle is dead and has been dead ever since Brawl. The Smash series should embrace the idea of being a tribute to video games overall whenever possible.
  • People focus way too much on the roster. They need to also take into consideration the possibilities of stuff like stages, trophies, music, etc. much more.
  • Those old fogies that constantly reject new stuff need to shut up. People can genuinely like newer stuff, so please just let people have fun.
  • People underestimate Xenoblade Chronicles way too much. Especially when people pull really biased arguments disguised as throwing shade at the series for no reason.
  • The Legend of Zelda shouldn't get a newcomer until they improve the veterans first, in particular Zelda and Ganondorf.
  • Character threads are extremely pointless since the roster is decided long ago. It just seems like a total waste of time having the threads for stuff that is predetermined.
  • People need to stop banking on past development in order to predict the future. It rarely works out.
  • The gameplay from last time around is almost the perfect balance. It just needs miscellaneous small stuff to improve it further, like for example rolling having decaying frames of invincibility per roll to discourage roll spam.
  • The competitive scene is not indicative to how the final product will turn out. If it's not Melee 2.0, who cares? The goal of it being a massive crossover with rich content is more important.
  • People don't consider other demographics at all, thinking that the Smash series only caters to "Boys in their 20's that live in North America", when in reality it's far more complex than that. People seriously need to be more open about other groups of people too.
  • Stop treating Sakurai's word as gospel. He's just as human as anyone else, so will make mistakes, contradictions, and biases. Ignoring or disagreeing should not be discouraged.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 proved they don't do DLC well and they don't care how much they screw up the game when they release it.

Furthermore I'm really cautious about DLC in the next one because it feels like they won't balance anything.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
  • People don't consider other demographics at all, thinking that the Smash series only caters to "Boys in their 20's that live in North America", when in reality it's far more complex than that. People seriously need to be more open about other groups of people too.
People have a hard time thinking outside of their own perspectives. That's why you see this happen so often.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Oh, I forgot one.....

>If Rex (or any Xenoblade 2 character) comes to Smash 5, I want them to keep the Monado as the Xenoblade logo. Don't change it to the Aegis
The falchion is still the fire emblem logo, I don't see why the same wouldn't apply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom