• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure this thread isn't meant for this, but I wish we could all just get along. Recently on the Dee support thread there's been misinformation spreading around and false accusations, it really needs to sop. I just felt like throwing this here.

Anyways, I've developed an opinion some people find unpopular: I hate the idea of Japanese exclusive characters being fighters. I don't get it. Why on Earth would they add a character less than half of their fanbase knows about? Some people claim it's a good idea for marketing purposes, to help small developers, or be more in tune with their Japanese audience. All that sounds like BS to me. How is Nintendo not in tune with their Japanese audience? And look how the last pure advertisement fighter (:ultcorrin:) turned out. Do you really think Nintendo would go there again?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure this thread isn't meant for this, but I wish we could all just get along. Recently on the Dee support thread there's been misinformation spreading around and false accusations, it really needs to sop. I just felt like throwing this here.

Anyways, I've developed an opinion some people find unpopular: I hate the idea of Japanese exclusive characters being fighters. I don't get it. Why on Earth would they add a character less than half of their fanbase knows about? Some people claim it's a good idea for marketing purposes, to help small developers, or be more in tune with their Japanese audience. All that sounds like BS to me. How is Nintendo not in tune with their Japanese audience? And look how the last pure advertisement fighter (:ultcorrin:) turned out. Do you really think Nintendo would go there again?
Are you complaining about Japan-exclusive characters (which we have two) or promotional characters?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
And look how the last pure advertisement fighter (:ultcorrin:) turned out. Do you really think Nintendo would go there again?
We lack any sort of solid metrics in regards to that; salty people on the internet don't really count. And a lot of what I saw was people cooling down quickly and acknowledging how unique their moveset is. Roy was a last minute clone who's basically become more of a Smash character than an FE one (while also growing to have existent presence in the West, with his game likely next up to be remade); meanwhile, Lucas is... Lucas, I guess. The odd one out, definitely, but that's pretty much the Mother franchise in general as the most niche game in Smash with playable characters. Hardly see the issue there.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We lack any sort of solid metrics in regards to that; salty people on the internet don't really count. And a lot of what I saw was people cooling down quickly and acknowledging how unique their moveset is. Roy was a last minute clone who's basically become more of a Smash character than an FE one (while also growing to have existent presence in the West, with his game likely next up to be remade); meanwhile, Lucas is... Lucas, I guess. The odd one out, definitely, but that's pretty much the Mother franchise in general as the most niche game in Smash with playable characters. Hardly see the issue there.
I'm not salty about Corrin's inclusion, and I love that they're unique. Other people disagree, however, and they seem to outnumber Corrin's advocates, especially in light of the latest FE clone getting in, which doesn't help. As for Lucas.... let's just hope Mother 3 gets an official English remake :).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm not salty about Corrin's inclusion, and I love that they're unique. Other people disagree, however, and they seem to outnumber Corrin's advocates, especially in light of the latest FE clone getting in, which doesn't help. As for Lucas.... let's just hope Mother 3 gets an official English remake :).
Corrin's the most unfortunately mangled character in all of Smash by the audience because of the perfect storm of negativity (And I'm honestly surprised Piranha Plant didn't repeat that reality in some ways). At a point when we had 5 Fire Emblem characters in the game, with Roy having already been a DLC (Though again, for as much as Smash fans have a tendency to go against Fire Emblem, Roy was EXTREMELY popular to come back despite adding nothing of real substance to the roster move set wise), and the ballot fresh on people's minds, he never had a chance. I remember being disappointed with his inclusion, but after playing I definitely warmed up to him.

He's just got a unique moveset and does some really interesting things. In fact he's part of the core Fire Emblem characters to me now. Marth, Ike, Robin, and Corrin all have unique attributes and can represent different parts of Fire Emblem. They may all uses swords, but they each do it in unique ways at least. Not the best representation of the series, but it'll do.

Seriously, we shouldn't be talking of cutting him when there are three far less interesting characters from the same series to cut. Now there may be two Echoes, but from what I've seen the issue is with the saturation of Fire Emblem in general more so than anything else.

And again, Roy is just the most expendable FE character in general despite bringing a fun turn of Marth's mechanic to the game.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
No matter how much the rest of the internet hates her, Nintendo and Sakurai are never going to cut :ultlucina:. She's just too damned easy to develop for.

You can call it "lazy" all you want, but at the end of the day, deadlines are deadlines, and if someone making a video game can squeeze in an extra character as quickly and cheaply as possible, they're going to do it, and someone is going to be made happy about that decision.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No matter how much the rest of the internet hates her, Nintendo and Sakurai are never going to cut :ultlucina:. She's just too damned easy to develop for.

You can call it "lazy" all you want, but at the end of the day, deadlines are deadlines, and if someone making a video game can squeeze in an extra character as quickly and cheaply as possible, they're going to do it, and someone is going to be made happy about that decision.
Well good thing she's in my ideal Super Smash Bros. vs. Jump Stars roster then. :p

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Well good thing she's in my ideal Super Smash Bros. vs. Jump Stars roster then. :p
This argument could basically apply for all the Echo Fighters, but I say Lucina specifically because she's always the first one I see getting paraded around the instant the words "cut" and "character" are ever so much as breathed in the same sentence on this website. Quite frankly, it's starting to get really ****ing uncomfortable having to listen to it.

Last edited:

H0L0CENE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5048-8462-1228
  • Fire Emblem deserves the amount of representation it's gotten. Kid Icarus is the series with too many.
  • If Fire Emblem did lose a rep though, it should be Marth. Lucina and Roy are more fun to play.
  • The people complaining that "Smash is for Nintendo All-Stars" are the same people who want Isaac, someone who is decidedly not a Nintendo All-Star.
  • I could name at least half a dozen Mario reps that make more sense than Geno. On top of that, I feel like a lot of Geno fans only want him because he's the hot character to support right now and Sakurai showed interest in him once years ago and only put him in as a costume to try to satisfy the demands.
And on a non-character hate related note, I'm not a fan of the "_____ wins!" change. I already miss "The winner is... ____!"

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
-While Incineroar looks fun, he doesn't add any new Pokemon types that weren't represented already and I would have preferred more new types to appear. And I say this as someone who's never touched a Pokemon game before.
I agree with a good chunk of what you said but, Incineroar is Fire/Dark, and we haven't had a Dark type before. Does that show in his moveset at all? No, so I don't blame you for not realizing as someone who's never played Pokemon, but I'm hyper anal about this stuff so I felt like I had to comment.

Actual unpopular opinion: We should keep Marth, Ike, and Robin ONLY for the next Smash, yes, even chop the echoes. Marth is the face of the series, Ike is the western choice, and Robin has a fun, unique moveset and gimmick and represents the most popular game in the series. We have too many reps of the same game.

Wii Fit Trainer should be kept; the Wii was huge for both Nintendo and the gaming world for bringing in so many fresh faces, but there aren't any uniquely Wii IPs. WFT fills that role, and should be kept.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Actually Greninja is Water/Dark, so we have had a Dark type before.

Also I would say that Miis are pretty representative of the Wii.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
Actually Greninja is Water/Dark, so we have had a Dark type before.

Also I would say that Miis are pretty representative of the Wii.
Oh ****. Whoops. Well, ignore my Pokemon comment and uh... I guess what mean is WFT comes from a game, Mii's don't, they're inserted into games. I guess. If you don't count Miitopia.

Look I like WFT, she a cutie. Pls lemme keep her ;_;.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

Being mega-popular and ranking second on an official poll only behind Lyn might have something to do with it as well.

Gotta say I was pretty worried Lucina would be axed for this game, a lot of people were telling me Roy was gonna replace her. Glad that ended up being incorrect, though I'm still a smidge disappointed they did almost nothing to make her any more unique. Not even the new Final Smash Chrom has or letting her wear her mask during matches, lame Sakurai.

Oh yeah this is the unpopular opinion thread so might as well throw another down:

I don't like Roy. In fact I really despise him. He's a very overhyped character with an aggressively bad gimmick that nullifies the benefits of being a swordfighter and only gets by because no one has actually played an FE game he's in to see how dreadfully boring he actually is. It doesn't help that his voice drives me nuts and "Roy's our boy" is a tired meme. I'm not looking forward to the coming months of everybody playing him (and other characters from Melee like Young Link and Pichu), but at least Lucina's still here to put them in their place.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Smash Ultimate should be a union project that pays their voice actors well and gives them full time work benefits and protection.

I don't think this is unpopular per se, but I've seen people resenting that some of Smash characters' original voice actors can't join because they're part of a union (most easily seen with Steve Burton, a.k.a. Cloud), instead of resenting that Smash NOT being a union project means that the voice actors that ARE participating aren't protected from potentially bad practices. Talk about skewed priorities.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This argument could basically apply for all the Echo Fighters, but I say Lucina specifically because she's always the first one I see getting paraded around the instant the words "cut" and "character" are ever so much as breathed in the same sentence on this website. Quite frankly, it's starting to get really ****ing uncomfortable having to listen to it.
That's always how it's going to be with the clone characters. They will always be first on the chopping block when it comes to future Smash games because people are so reluctant to cut characters in the first place. Why cut characters with unique move sets when the clones are still in and do take up development time. I'm not just talking about Echo fighters either, your Young Link, Toon Link, and Dr. Mario all fall into this category. And I can't blame anyone for thinking that way seeing as it's far more preferable to have unique move sets that offer variety in the game.

I know the prevailing narrative is that clones don't take real development time, but at a certain point so many of them start to. Especially when you have a character like Ken who might as well just be a semi-clone as is. If it's between a unique veteran and a clone, I think the choice is pretty clearly in favor of the unique.

Now Lucina on her hand is fairly innocent as a clone. She actively adds something by completely changing up Marth's tipper mechanic and she effectively takes the place of a more standard Marth. When Roy and Chrom are still in the roster, she's pretty well safe as there isn't a logical reason to cut her. It also helps that she is the sole unique female in the games from Fire Emblem.

But again, if we're making cuts, clones are almost always going to go first on the chopping block. And I honestly doubt she's more considered a cut than the likes of Dark Pit who objectively gets more hate than she ever has.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I think Dr Lobe from Big Brain Academy would be a great addition and is more important to Nintendo's history than Geno.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
"Spirits can't be DLC!" is Box Theory 2.0

Also can a mod merge this with my last post?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
World of Light looks infinitely better than Subspace.

Because Subspace failed on narrative and gameplay levels.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
After seeing all the potential drama unfolding with stage selections, I'd be fine with just Battlefield variants in tournaments this go round. BF is probably the fairest stage in the game, better than FD/Omega stages, and my primary concern as a viewer/player is locale and music variety as opposed to different platform layouts.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Why Dr. Mario be the one to provoke "YEET!" references specifically?
Because his new back-throw animation looks kind of like how the "yeet" girl threw her can in the meme.

https://i.imgur.com/XivWY6n.gifv

Honestly, it looks like he's going for more of a Hulk Hogan style full body throw if anything.
But according to the internet, if something slightly resembles a meme, then it's worth spamming everywhere apparently.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Sub space emissary wasnt great and a step down from melee’s adventure mode.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Because his new back-throw animation looks kind of like how the "yeet" girl threw her can in the meme.

Honestly, it looks like he's going for more of a Hulk Hogan style full body throw if anything.
But according to the internet, if something slightly resembles a meme, then it's worth spamming everywhere apparently.
Hmm... tbh, if I was going to shout "YEET!" when throwing someone in Smash, it'd be with Kirby's suicide throws. Dr. Mario throwing you overhand doesn't have nearly the kind of "wait, WTF?!" aspect to it that Kirby does.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Grinch Leak was being touted as this game's "ESRB Theory," with many warning that if it was fake, people would never trust leaks ever again. This meant that the Grinch Leak ended up being a lose-lose for Vergeban supporters regardless of outcome.

Had it been real, Vergeban would've just been wrong and that's that.

However, it ended up being fake, so that means despite Vergeban being right about the roster, they shouldn't be trusted with DLC anyway, because they go down with the ship with the rest of the leakers who lost their believably to the Grinch Leak's deconfirmation.

And quite frankly, I think this is a good thing, because helps prevent leaks from forming bandwagons and making speculation boring.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Grinch Leak was being touted as this game's "ESRB Theory," with many warning that if it was fake, people would never trust leaks ever again. This meant that the Grinch Leak ended up being a lose-lose for Vergeban supporters regardless of outcome.

Had it been real, Vergeban would've just been wrong and that's that.

However, it ended up being fake, so that means despite Vergeban being right about the roster, they shouldn't be trusted with DLC anyway, because they go down with the ship with the rest of the leakers who lost their believably to the Grinch Leak's deconfirmation.

And quite frankly, I think this is a good thing, because helps prevent leaks from forming bandwagons and making speculation boring.
Bandwagons will happen regardless. See: Geno

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Bandwagons will happen regardless. See: Geno
True, but the Geno bandwagon was formed because Sakurai made one comment years ago and then he got a Mii costume. There isn't really anything that can be done about that.

Leaks going back to the dark ages of easily dismissed nonsense spouted where they belong will not wipe out bandwagons entirely, but it will cut off the oxygen supply for a good chunk of potentially really awful ones.

I will also like to add that if characters I personally want (Sora or 2B) ever became bandwagons, I'd be pretty damn heartbroken, because I think those characters deserve far better then to only be wanted "because everyone else wants them in, too."

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Apparantly this is an unpopular opinion.

Bandwagon characters aren't a bad thing. A good character fades into obscurity, someone brings attention to them, their popularity rises as more people become aware of it... bandwagon just feels like a buzz word used to describe characters you don't personally like who isn't relevant anymore but is still somehow popular. Just another one of the many flavors of "stop liking what i don't like"

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Bandwagon characters aren't a bad thing. A good character fades into obscurity, someone brings attention to them, their popularity rises as more people become aware of it... bandwagon just feels like a buzz word used to describe characters you don't personally like who isn't relevant anymore but is still somehow popular. Just another one of the many flavors of "stop liking what i don't like"
I wish I could like this post twice.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

On one hand, I'm inclined to agree with you. On the other, I got really sick and tired of the same 5-15 characters being the only ones people ever talked about on the general discussion thread. October pre-Grinch-Leak was especially insufferable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom