• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Oh hey, this topic has been here a while? I guess my eyes stopped glazing over when I read the topic title. Anyway:

Trophies have served their purpose and are no longer necessary as a collectible to enjoy a Smash game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Unpopular (think):
This roster would be way cooler if they decided to ditch the clones and unwanted/advertisement fighters and replaced them with popular requests.
Agree.
If it's worth putting in, it's worth putting in done well.
Like you don't see DBFZ reuse the same moveset for every Goku, lmao.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Oh hey, this topic has been here a while? I guess my eyes stopped glazing over when I read the topic title. Anyway:

Trophies have served their purpose and are no longer necessary as a collectible to enjoy a Smash game.
Thank you! Besides, Sakurai said they were pretty hard to make. SSBU probably came out so fast because they didn't use them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular (think):
This roster would be way cooler if they decided to ditch the clones and unwanted/advertisement fighters and replaced them with popular requests.
Ah, I forgot this beautiful argument. Truly, everyone knows cutting clones would automatically put fan favourites into the game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ah, I forgot this beautiful argument. Truly, everyone knows cutting clones would automatically put fan favourites into the game.
"Less clones = more fan favorites"
Is not the same argument as
"Less clones and advertisement characters, and more fan-favorites = cooler roster."

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Less clones = more fan favorites"
Is not the same argument as
"Less clones and advertisement characters, and more fan-favorites = cooler roster."
It really depends on your definition of "advertisement" and "cool", really.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
What I meant was, I would rather have popular fighters than clones and advertisements, and if they switched them around it would be cool.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m confident Spirits deconfirm characters.

“But K.Rool and Wii Fit-“

Those are Fighter Spirits, they exist based on a pre-existing playable character from the roster and have no purpose other than being entirely cosmetic art.

The actual Spirits that non playable characters have are used in the game as power ups for the Fighters, the ones that have K.Rool and Wii Fit Trainers aren’t used in anyway possible.

No offense Shantae, Dixie, etc supporters but you guys are honestly getting your hopes up way too high unless there’s a Spirit based on a Fighter that can be used.

I don’t mean to bring you all down, I’m just trying to be realistic and not want anyone else to get disappointed especially after that Grinch fiasco.

Plus we haven’t seen Spirits based on Bandana Dee and Elma, therefore they actually do have a chance for DLC.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I’m confident Spirits deconfirm characters.

“But K.Rool and Wii Fit-“

Those are Fighter Spirits, they exist based on a pre-existing playable character from the roster and have no purpose other than being entirely cosmetic art.

The actual Spirits that non playable characters have are used in the game as power ups for the Fighters, the ones that have K.Rool and Wii Fit Trainers aren’t used in anyway possible.

No offense Shantae, Dixie, etc supporters but you guys are honestly getting your hopes up way too high unless there’s a Spirit based on a Fighter that can be used.

I don’t mean to bring you all down, I’m just trying to be realistic and not want anyone else to get disappointed especially after that Grinch fiasco.

Plus we haven’t seen Spirits based on Bandana Dee and Elma, therefore they actually do have a chance for DLC.
Super Sonic, Robobot Kirby, and others say hi. Being a playable character does not disqualify someone from having equip-able spirits based on them. Even taking into account that these are variants, they're still based on the fighters. Smash 4 also featured trophies based on Mewtwo and Lucas, which did not discount them from the DLC treatment. These are things developed concurrently, and DLC is evaluated later in the game's development. By the same token, we've seen a very, very small portion of the Spirits that will be available, so the fact that certain characters have not appeared yet is not evidence of anything.

In other words, using Spirits as an indicator for anything DLC-wise is moot, barring an official source outright stating otherwise.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
This may be an unpopular opinion and I have pretty much gotten shot down for expressing it in another thread but here it goes: I think there are better Microsoft reps out there other than Steve. Master Chief and Banjo are probably the top two contenders that could be Microsoft reps other than Steve.

I know that Minecraft is the second best selling franchise and has history with Nintendo, hell even I play the game from time to time. However, I just don’t think he’s the best choice. Look, Halo never had history with Nintendo but neither did Cloud and FFVII as a whole and look what happened there. Furthermore we didn’t get any content from the Nintendo FF games in Smash. Just FFVII content afaik. Also Banjo-Kazooie started off as a Nintendo exclusive franchise before going to Microsoft and both of those characters are very iconic.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
There are enough clones in the game that axing all of them would surely be enough to bring in a unique fighter. Ofc, sometimes clones are popular (and should be clones), so it's not all or nothing.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
  • I think the unique thing Bandana Dee can bring to the table is to be a lancer. (It's stupid that Fire Emblem representation is so bad that we need a Kirby character to use a lance.)
  • While I want Dixie so much, I think it's not a smart idea chosing her as a DLC from Nintendo point of view.
  • World of Light is not something to be so hyped about it. It's just event matches above a well drawed map, people got sold because of the CG.
  • Some characters are fundamentally bad at competitive play. Zelda is a example, she needs to have a good amount of BS to actually be good, her moveset is not suited to apply and take pressure.
  • If Chrom had a better recovery he would be at least the second better FE character. Roy moveset is great, his reversed tipper mechanic completely kills the character.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Is it worth it to be a sellout shill?

Best video if anyone here is considering selling out/shilling for Smash bros.
Pointing out that copy-pasting the internet's opinion as your own is the laziest, most reactionary thought process imaginable and not even worth taking into consideration is not the same as deluding yourself that defending Nintendo a noble and just cause.

Advertisement characters are dumb, yes, but vouching for "pOpUlAr ReQuEsTs" is not an acceptable alternative.

The decision of "who gets into Smash Bros" is not a democratic one.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
This may be an unpopular opinion and I have pretty much gotten shot down for expressing it in another thread but here it goes: I think there are better Microsoft reps out there other than Steve. Master Chief and Banjo are probably the top two contenders that could be Microsoft reps other than Steve
Okay can we get some real unpopular opinions up in here? Pretty sure nobody actually likes Steve, we're just expecting him.

Here's an unpopular opinion: I hate Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. They're annoyingly good in every game but no one ever complains about them for some reason. Every Sheik player I know also plays ZSS because they're both annoying little ****s with bull**** OP movesets. Not to mention they're both just different forms of Zelda and Sheik, so they don't even bring a new character into the cast. They should be the first to get cut next time.

Okay, there's an unpopular opinion. Let's see more stuff like that in here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Link should've stayed as Twilight Princess Link.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Okay can we get some real unpopular opinions up in here? Pretty sure nobody actually likes Steve, we're just expecting him.

Here's an unpopular opinion: I hate Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. They're annoyingly good in every game but no one ever complains about them for some reason. Every Sheik player I know also plays ZSS because they're both annoying little ****s with bull**** OP movesets. Not to mention they're both just different forms of Zelda and Sheik, so they don't even bring a new character into the cast. They should be the first to get cut next time.

Okay, there's an unpopular opinion. Let's see more stuff like that in here.
While I agree with the redundancy part (don't care about the OP part as I'm not a major competitive player). I liked it MUCH better in Brawl when ZSS would transform from Samus and Sheik with Zelda. I also feel the same way with Dr. Mario. I HATE characters that are the same character taking up multiple slots. Link too but at least in Link's defense every Link is technically a different character (even if I personally hate that we have 3 separate Link's on the roster).

UserKev

Smash Champion
- Remix tracks are redundant now. Give me more purely original tracks, Vs. Shadow Queen/Paper Mario TTYD, Bowser's Road/Super Mario 64, etc.
- Cranky Kong is long overdo behind Dixie Kong.
- Doc Louis should be optional Smash announcer.
- Sans would be an aesthetically forced addition.
- Kirby is extremely neglected with Donkey Kong.
- Echo characters are ultimately ruining Smash speculation.
- I'm glad Mimikyu was the underdog of this Smash's speculation, I can't stand bandwagons behind new characters.
- As much as I prefer Mimikyu, adding Decidueye as DLC would be an extremely smart business move.
- Toon Link is becoming a more accurate Zelda representation as a whole.
- I like actively supporting lesser talked about characters the community don't seem to realize are actually historically important, Doc Louis, Kamek, the like.
- Master Hand should be a sage hazard for Final Destination that attacks from the background.
- Metal Cavern is a missed opportunity.
- Smash shouldn't eventually continue and set a legacy for its self, inspiring others after it.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Thing is, that would take a lot of work now that we have all these different language options.

Blue Rose

Smash Rookie
I rather have more advertisement characters than popular fan requests like Geno or Isaac.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I like the idea of optional announcers (like what skullgirls does), but yeah, language settings would mess with that.

Perhaps optional announcers would be exclusive to certain languages (with the exception of 2 or 3 announcers that come in all languages)? Although this might create a bias towards English and Japanese, so perhaps not.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I see great potential for Smash Bros to sell cosmetic costumes for various fighters. Bring on Pit and Dark Pit in ballerina outfits!!!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm intrigued by this one; I know we're not meant to question opinions, but can you explain what you mean by this?
You probably won't see it but you can trust my analyze skill if that's the word for it. I just realized it. Toon Link is a way more livelier character when you analyze him next to the bunch and his move set is oddly refreshing, even for what was made of it. Toon Link's attacks are extremely satisfying once landed and he just feels more comfortable to use, the easiest to muster up to. He feels like the Zelda series its self, his voice and the sounds of his attacks.

Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are like shells of them former selves now, in Smash.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Here is one.
-Out of all characters added in Wii U and 3DS, I think the one that would be least likely cut is :ultwiifittrainer:.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I rather have more advertisement characters than popular fan requests like Geno or Isaac.
I like advertisement picks sometimes, but when it's paid DLC for a character not yet out, it seems less cool to me. That's why Roy and Greninja are neater than Corrin, to me.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I think advertising picks makes sense, especially when we have most if not all the Nintendo All Stars left. When the last few remaining all stars are the sidekick to a sidekick, the sidekick to the main villain or the generic civilian of the kingdom. This statement is not meant in any way to diminish Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee or Toad or their All Star status, but none of these characters hold up to the level of All Star that many previous additions are at.
*Allstar status may be interpreted differently from person to person

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Aside from music from newcomer franchises like Castlevania and Splatoon, i'm not really feeling this game's soundtrack, there's too many redundant and repetitive remixes and several games with amazing OSTs with nothing at all.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why a character did added isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. I prefer a "advertisement pick" that is fun to play as over a boring "fan favorite".

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Why a character did added isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. I prefer a "advertisement pick" that is fun to play as over a boring "fan favorite".
What's your thoughts of fun to play fan favourites like King K. Rool?

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
What's your thoughts of fun to play fan favourites like King K. Rool?
Looks to be the best newcomer to the game by far (and I'm a huge fan of everyone added except the Belmonts). Many are thinking he will be top tier. Sakurai captured his look and personality down pat. Something I thought couldn't happen without Rare since Nintendo dropped the ball with him once PAON took over the character. PAON turned him into a generic bad guy, with no tail, and no golden belly armor. I'm glad Sakurai was able to take the best of both designs but all of Rare's personality/character.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Who could have imagined a crocodile who throws his crown and wields a blunderbuss would have had good moveset potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom