• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To be fair, my initial post was more of a general thought rather than engaging someone directly, to work around the rules. You were the one who engaged me, so perhaps you should follow the rules as well, don’t you think bud?
Now that's the way to politely end discourse without sounding condescending at all: finish your thought by calling someone "bud". :ohwell:

As for the topic itself:

I'm 100% in on the box theory.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Unpopular opinion: If you haven't enjoyed ANY of the new character announcements for Ultimate so far and can only get hyped when a 3rd party character is revealed you don't deserve to play a NINTENDO developed fighting game with mainly NINTENDO characters on a NINTENDO system. I'm not saying you have to love EVERY Nintendo character ever (I do) BUT to be bitter at characters like Isabelle, Inklings, Ridley, and K.Rool because they were added to Smash (where all 4 deserve to be) and characters like Crash, Doom Guy, Sora, Shantae, etc. either aren't getting in or have yet to be revealed is appalling IMO. Or worse actually expecting and thinking Goku of all things "deserves" to be in Smash over the newcomers we have gotten...you need to go home you're drunk.

Sorry I was recently watching youtube reactors to characters like Ridley, Rool, and Isabelle and a LOT of them were upset they were added in instead of the next "OMG what 3rd party series/character is Nintendo trying to pander too now!" makes me sick...

31fps

Banned via Warnings
But I don't have respect for someone claiming Sakurai deserved to be harassed, so I don't "respectfully disagree" with them.

Anyway, this ended ages ago, let's stop bringing it back up.
I think he's talking about right now.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A lot of people look more into the character rather than the function they perform. To you, only a cut character with a unique moveset may be deemed important to bring back, but to others it may matter more who that character was, hence why someone like Roy was brought back despite not being completely unique. Nothing also guarantees that a new moveset-er, character would draw more people in on the mere basis of being unique. By no means I'm not saying that movesets aren't important or that I am advocating against having new fighters and implementing unique ideas, but at the same time what most people like about additions like Ridley and K Rool is less about the moveset they bring and more about who they are.

Also, most of the clones, echoes and semi clones being based off a certain fighter is actually pretty accurate to their source material, with Ganondorf being the exception. You can argue that they aren't unique, but not that they are inaccurate.
Except I DO care about the character, in fact, just as much as I care about their moveset.

And the way to show a love and appreciation for a character is with something true to the character and shows off their differences. A moveset is more than just a generic playstyle that one might slap onto a character if you can halfheartedly justify it. It's supposed to represent them, the essence of their character, and their transition into a fighting environment, which is why even unique movesets could poorly represent a character, like IMO Shulk or ZSS.

And for some clones, it would make sense they would fight similarly like Dark Pit being a literal clone or Falco probably being trained the same as Fox. However, I'd disagree they'd make sense for some other characters. Roy wouldn't fight like Marth, Lucina wouldn't fight like Marth, Chrom wouldn't fight like Marth. Dark Samus wouldn't fight like Samus.
Even for characters you could justify as fighting the same, there are limitless ways to differentiate them. For example, Hyrule Warriors differentiated 3 different Links with 3 completely different fighting styles that all match their games more than copying the main Link or how Dragonball FighterZ had 4 different Gokus and made them play completely differently.

Last edited:

31fps

Banned via Warnings
Still waiting for Bandana Waddle Dee to be revealed.

Please. Just one Kirby newcomer....

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I am increasingly annoyed by the very large amount of people who seemingly seem to dislike anything made after the NGC/GBA era.

There are tons of worthwhile recent stuff.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Except I DO care about the character, in fact, just as much as I care about their moveset.

And the way to show a love and appreciation for a character is with something true to the character and shows off their differences. A moveset is more than just a generic playstyle that one might slap onto a character if you can halfheartedly justify it. It's supposed to represent them, the essence of their character, and their transition into a fighting environment, which is why even unique movesets could poorly represent a character, like IMO Shulk or ZSS.

And for some clones, it would make sense they would fight similarly like Dark Pit being a literal clone or Falco probably being trained the same as Fox. However, I'd disagree they'd make sense for some other characters. Roy wouldn't fight like Marth, Lucina wouldn't fight like Marth, Chrom wouldn't fight like Marth. Dark Samus wouldn't fight like Samus.
Even for characters you could justify as fighting the same, there are limitless ways to differentiate them. For example, Hyrule Warriors differentiated 3 different Links with 3 completely different fighting styles that all match their games more than copying the main Link or how Dragonball FighterZ had 4 different Gokus and made them play completely differently.
Differentiating movesets is certainly the preferred way to go, but because of how they tend to plan characters out and what movesets to create in advance, including someone as a clone is not necessarily a bad thing but a chance for a fighter who might not have been considered at all otherwise. You also can't randomly choose who will become a clone either, so in way, their status as a copy character needs to make sense. For most of the examples at least.

They bothered with the echoes because they were convenient to create, and I believe that these characters have a lot of elements in their backgrounds to justify why they are like that. In addressing Lucina, her being a Marth alt is actually a mythology gag from Fire Emblem Awakening. In that game, recruitable Marth units are actually head swaps of Lucina's character model, basically making Marth a Lucina clone. It helps as well that she was impersonating as him in the beginning of the game. Regarding Roy and Chrom, being different people you can definitively say that they wouldn't fight like Marth, but the issue that FE characters from the GBA era have is that they don't have much of a movepool to pull from to translate into a fighting game. Add that Roy was just a late addition, his moveset being the way it is isn't really unjustified. At least they tweaked his stats and move animations while giving him his critical attack as his FS, so he stands better on his own now compared to when he first debuted. In Chrom's case, Robin was chosen over him and they never really materialized the idea of a unique moveset for him.
As for Dark Samus, she mimics most of Samus's abilities. As we know, this is because she was born out of her genetic material and the Phazon Suit she was wearing. I'm aware she has unique moves of her own but she still displays the basic Power Suit abilities like missiles, power missiles, morph ball and boost ball. Her Phazon Spreader is even referred as an altered version of the Power Beam in-universe. So resorting to the same moves Samus has in Smash like Charge Shot, Bombs, Grapple and Screw Attack is by no means a stretch. In universe, she is more or less a phazon fueled copy of her.

I would argue about the Links playstyles in HW matching their canon material. HW exaggerates every aspect about every single character and takes several liberties as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but their Smash incarnations are actually more faithful to the source. That's doesn't mean that their HW counterparts are less of a blast to play as. Since Link was redesigned for Ultimate, I would say that he is different enough from the other Links to justify their presence.

Last edited:

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
On the contrary of the last post, I actually /really/ like the balloon knockback. I don't know why. It just feels... Right? I hope it isn't too jarring.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has been said before, but I really want small and obscure characters to get recognized. I honestly think they'd make nice additions to Smash.

They aren't getting in, but to this day, I STILL want to promote them and have some hope so that it may come true.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
- the box theory is legit
That certainly does seem like the unpopular opinion around here. And I get why, it sucks facing a possible worst case scenario.
I just wish the people who don't believe it weren't so passive aggressive and combative. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's day, i'm just trying to keep myself from feeling more disappointed in the event that it does end up being true. It's a win win situation if it turns out to be incorrect.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
That certainly does seem like the unpopular opinion around here. And I get why, it sucks facing a possible worst case scenario.
I just wish the people who don't believe it weren't so passive aggressive and combative. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's day, i'm just trying to keep myself from feeling more disappointed in the event that it does end up being true. It's a win win situation if it turns out to be incorrect.
yeah bad or not facts are the facts
facts are the facts disappointing or not :(

osby

Smash Obsessed
I am increasingly annoyed by the very large amount of people who seemingly seem to dislike anything made after the NGC/GBA era.

There are tons of worthwhile recent stuff.
Wow, thanks for saying this.

I'm a new gamer, so it's becoming tiring defending the games and characters I like just because they weren't around during some people's childhood.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
To you, only a cut character with a unique moveset may be deemed important to bring back, but to others it may matter more who that character was, hence why someone like Roy was brought back despite not being completely unique.
Most people like Roy for the flames, let's be real.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Geno as the new Square Enix rep?

If we don't get Sora, Olberic for Smash please.

If you don't know who that is you are missing out my friends.

I can't wait for someone to complain that he would be just a swordfighter :p

But real talk, he's too new.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Box theory? Is that the one about the box of the collector's edition render? the one that predicts that the only remaining character reveals are Ken + 1 Newcomer?

Geno as the new Square Enix rep?

If we don't get Sora, Olberic for Smash please.

If you don't know who that is you are missing out my friends.

I can't wait for someone to complain that he would be just a swordfighter :p

But real talk, he's too new.
Olberic?

*googles*

oh right, that game everyone is talking about.

Now that you mention it, though, I want primrose instead. Smash is overdue for a character that uses dance moves as a fighting style.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Box theory? Is that the one about the box of the collector's edition render? the one that predicts that the only remaining character reveals are Ken + 1 Newcomer?

Olberic?

*googles*

oh right, that game everyone is talking about.

Now that you mention it, though, I want primrose instead. Smash is overdue for a character that uses dance moves as a fighting style.
*points to avatar and cries*

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think that people who request characters simply because they're physically attracted to them are some of the worst parts of the community. I know that everyone has their "favorite waifu" or whatever, but let's be real. No one ever uses the Male Robin or Corrin skins, and during Palutena's reveal trailer--and Bayo's too--they made sure to remind you that they tried to create the best proportions possible for them. Nintendo knows that people love some of their characters which is probably a decent reason why some of them *coughCorrincough* are in the game.

And frankly I'd rather have a decent fighter than a decent body.

(I only main Palutena because of her downthrow combos)

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
*points to avatar and cries*
I fail to see what Waluigi or Widowmaker have to do with Box Theory or Octopath Traveler.

I think that people who request characters simply because they're physically attracted to them are some of the worst parts of the community. I know that everyone has their "favorite waifu" or whatever, but let's be real. No one ever uses the Male Robin or Corrin skins, and during Palutena's reveal trailer--and Bayo's too--they made sure to remind you that they tried to create the best proportions possible for them. Nintendo knows that people love some of their characters which is probably a decent reason why some of them *coughCorrincough* are in the game.

And frankly I'd rather have a decent fighter than a decent body.

(I only main Palutena because of her downthrow combos)
It's okay, you can say FirestormNeos. :p

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I was just teasing that Waluigi COULD have dance moves ;)
I can see it now. A Smash Direct is announced, and it's just one minute of Waluigi footage prefaced by Sakurai saying "Okay fine, here's Walu-****ing-igi. He's a Capoeira fighter. Never ask me for anything ever again"

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I just read about how the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles NES bundle saved Nintendo in Europe. Between that and the prominence they had in America during the NES days, I feel like the Ninja Turtles more than ever deserve a spot in Smash. Even before Goku. They would make great “retro reps”.

Mainly because I want to see them interact with the Mario gang. Not all turtles are evil.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I just read about how the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles NES bundle saved Nintendo in Europe. Between that and the prominence they had in America during the NES days, I feel like the Ninja Turtles more than ever deserve a spot in Smash. Even before Goku. They would make great “retro reps”.

Mainly because I want to see them interact with the Mario gang. Not all turtles are evil.
I'm very against Goku, and other reps that aren't original video game characters.

That said, I'd main Donatello in a heartbeat.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
No one ever uses the Male Robin or Corrin skins
...really?

In both Smash and FE, I default to Robin as a male. I never use or headcanon Robin as a female. Ever.

The same with Corrin for me, except as a female, always. I was actually disappointed that female Corrin is secondary in Smash.

So not everyone. Not by a longshot. My Corrin = female, my Robin = male.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Most of these are more like character opinions, but I've been thinking about them today and will post them here.

Although I wasn't totally sold when she was revealed, Isabelle is still an extremely good pick. She may be the most deserving newcomer so far, besides Inkling.

Incineroar did not age well at all. He has not stayed super popular like Lucario and Greninja did after their debuts, and he hasn't received special treatment as they have. In my opinion, Mimikyu was a major missed opportunity. It is the face of Alola, much like Lucario is Sinnoh and Greninja is Kalos. Dusk Lycanroc would have been a cool pick as well. I personally think Necrozma would be sick - he is the closest thing that Pokemon has to a true villain.

Karate Joe isn't a good pick for a Rhythm Heaven rep. This is coming from someone who owns all the games. Chorus Kids are the best pick, and I don't even like their minigame.

I think the box theory is likely legit, and I hate to admit it to myself. That pattern seems too deliberate and meticulous for it to be "changeable", as some people put it.

Steve would be a cool inclusion. The art-style argument is very subjective. If need be, they can probably tweak it a little bit so that he can bend. At this point, Minecraft is more known than any third-party franchise except Pac-Man.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'd rather have more new stages than less returning ones. I'm talking like 90% new stages and only 10% past stages. Don't know if it's a really unpopular opinion around here.
At least we got Fountain of Dream back though.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
- lyanrock to me just look like another lucario
- an ultra beast would been the perfect rep for gen 7

KatKit

Smash Lord
Although the game(s) they are featured in are solid, I have absolutely no interest in Geno and Skullkid, and they are laughably overrated.

There needs to be a Style Savvy newcomer.

I'm down for another Fire Emblem character or two... especially Anna. She is undeniably the series' mascot and could be an easy way to show off any and all other types of weapons.

That new meter building Final Smash mechanic thing is cool and should be tourney legal.

I don't know if customs are coming back. If they aren't, I'm going to miss them. I loved customs in Smash 4.

Here's hoping we get a Xenoblade X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 rep. I don't care if one ends up being DLC.

Stage transitions is one of the hypest announcements thus far.

Isabelle trailer was awesome.

I'm hoping that Ultimate doesn't only cater to fans. Please give us some characters that weren't highly requested. I want to be surprised. I want something obscure.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
-I used to hate when Melee players would try to weigh in and complain that Ultimate isn't Melee V2 but after playing some other platform fighters I really do kind of hope we get more hitstun and Wavelanding at least.

-I don't think I can be friends with anyone who thinks FE should get more fighters than it already has, how is 7 not enough for you people?
-on that note I'm going to deliberately try to avoid unlocking certain characters (:ultcorrin::ultroy::ultchrom:) so I never have to see them on my CCS, though I'll probably unlock them on accident trying to get a character I want lol

-Seeing people bemoan Isabelle blew me away, I was so shocked people were actually upset that a general Nintendo direct had a big reveal that wasn't Smash related, do they think Smash is the only fanbase worth appealing to? I know plenty of people who love AC but don't care about Smash at all.

-I believe ballot should take top priority, getting another Wii Fit style character (read: WTF/Retro rep) would just feel like a waste considering how high emotions are over potential fighters.

-I find it strange people are so willing to believe text leaks or follow silly theories, I thought we learned our lesson after the Gematsu Leak.

-All nerfs to Cloud are valid and extremely necessary

-I used to hate the idea of Rayman in Smash, now I don't but no matter how hard I try I will always hate his design and find him extremely ugly to look at, he's done nothing wrong but I can't stand his design.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
  • Patches change the game too much. I'd rather an unbalanced game that I know will be the same for at least two months than a ever-changing game. Seriously hope they make the last patch within the first year.
  • While 102 stages is a great number, I feel like the game lacks stages because almost 100% of that number are past stages.
  • I want someone from Fire Emblem Heroes (Sharena or Anna) in the game, even if DLC.
  • People must start to admit that not a single franchise is that bad represented now that King K.Rool fixed Dk situation. While Dixie is a great choice, it's not like it would be absurd to not have her, unfornately.
  • It's easy to see that no Smash5 newcomer had made the impact that Sonic and Cloud inclusion did before. While I never played Kingdom Hearts, I feel that Crash Bandicoot and Sora are the unique characters that can achieve something near that level.
  • If the game is planned to get more than 5 newcomers as DLC, I'm betting one of them will not be a videogame character. It's not time to be so surprised with something like Goku/Mickey anymore, Smash is a mess.
  • I'd rather have Spring Man as playable in the game release because if he's not, then it's a confirmed DLC. Would rather to pay for another character.
  • I kinda don't care for single-player modes. Just give me a great online and I'd never ask for a Subspace again.
  • I think Sakurai thought of the balloon effect as a way to give the impression the game is fast, but it backfired because people got this hidden meaning of the mechanic. At least from the K.Rool vs Snake match, it seems like is heavily reduced.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
No one ever uses the Male Robin or Corrin skins,
I'm a bit late to the party, but I also use the Male Robin skin. The default one, actually. I used to be a huge M!Robin elitist, back in the day where the love and preference for F!Robin was abundant. And although I prefer F!Corrin to M!Corrin, I still sometimes switch over to the M!Corrin skin when playing Corrin, more often than I switch over to the F!Robin skin when playing Robin.

osby

Smash Obsessed
King K.Rool and Ridley don't deserve to be treaten like god's gifts to this green earth.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I can't believe people are still disappointed at Sakurai for everything he's done Someone even made a thread, "Prepare to be disappointed," that's currently trending in the general discussion. How could you be disappointed with this game?

• If the game is planned to get more than 5 newcomers as DLC, I'm betting one of them will not be a videogame character. It's not time to be so surprised with something like Goku/Mickey anymore, Smash is a mess.
Sorry man, Sakurai said that's not going to happen.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I’m actually hoping that unlocking characters is done in a way where if you so desire, some can stay locked. There are certain fighters I’d rather just keep hidden and outside of the originals it’d be kind of cool to have a customizable roster of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom