• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's not an opinion. You're just using this thread as a defense mechanism so you can freely insult people.
...You can also report posts like that. >_>

-No third party franchise should be allowed to have more than one playable character. They're guests and should be treated as such.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
-No third party franchise should be allowed to have more than one playable character. They're guests and should be treated as such.
That's not an unreasonable opinion and I think most people actually agree. Hardcore Sonic fans are probably the only ones who wouldn't agree, cause they want their Shadows and Knuckleses.

I think it's perfectly fine for third party companies to have more than one rep from different games though.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You're not my dad...

I forget about it, and when I remember, I usually like to give people chances.

Opinion:
I've always looked at Smash Bros, not as a celebration of Nintendo, but a celebration of gaming as a whole. So if one day I find out their announcing Master Chief, Jak & Daxter, or Cloud Strife, I'd be more than okay. But that's probably because, outside of Smash and Mario Kart, I'm not too attached to Nintendo.

Hardcore Sonic fans are probably the only ones who wouldn't agree, cause they want their Shadows and Knuckleses.
Correction, we want Tails...

Well, I want Tails. That may actually be another unpopular opinion of mine.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Blaze is the best second Sonic rep. That's definitely an unpopular opinion, right?
Can't say I could disagree with this though.
But as said before, I think multiple characters from different series owned by one third-party is okay, and in the case of Capcom I encourage it.

CormyCat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
QueenC
3DS FC
1289-8200-0643

I know a few people said it already but I also really agree with this. However, unlike them I personally feel that it should still only be one character in general. I think two characters, even if from different series, from the same third-party is still too much :p

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
That's not an opinion. You're just using this thread as a defense mechanism so you can freely insult people.
What? I stated my opinion and I put my reasoning behind it.

"I honestly hate Rosalinas" Is a feeling and an, oh yeah, opinion. I explained why afterwards, I'm going off of my personal experience, I'm not talking about every Rosalina, which I made very clear.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
You're not my dad...

I forget about it, and when I remember, I usually like to give people chances.

Opinion:
I've always looked at Smash Bros, not as a celebration of Nintendo, but a celebration of gaming as a whole. So if one day I find out their announcing Master Chief, Jak & Daxter, or Cloud Strife, I'd be more than okay. But that's probably because, outside of Smash and Mario Kart, I'm not too attached to Nintendo.

Correction, we want Tails...

Well, I want Tails. That may actually be another unpopular opinion of mine.
Truth be told... I'd like Master Chief to be in Smash.

That's not an unreasonable opinion and I think most people actually agree. Hardcore Sonic fans are probably the only ones who wouldn't agree, cause they want their Shadows and Knuckleses.

I think it's perfectly fine for third party companies to have more than one rep from different games though.
I feel like at this point Sonic might as well be a Nintendo character anyway lol. I wouldn't mind a second Sonic character, but I don't think there needs to be a second Mega Man or Pac-Man character.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

"I honestly hate Rosalinas" Is a feeling and an, oh yeah, opinion. I explained why afterwards, I'm going off of my personal experience, I'm not talking about every Rosalina, which I made very clear.
In the interest of not derailing this thread. What ever you say.

Khao

Smash Lord

I kind of don't give a **** about the Sonic series and I think it could use a second character.

Though I'd honestly be weirded out by anyone that's not Tails or Eggman/Robotnik/Whatever he goes by these days.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I'm sorry, but that's not going to fly here.

Avoid saying anything inflammatory or otherwise insulting about people, no matter how true you think it is. If you want this thread to remain a safe place for 'unpopular opinions' you have to draw a line somewhere.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I honestly don't care about the whole customs vs. default argument currently ripping our community to shreds.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
In my honest opinion bowser jr needs to be nerfed he is insanely overpowered.
i hope in the tourney update he gets nerfed,does anyone else feel this way?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well I haven't heard of a Bowser Jr. winning tournaments, so no.
Man, people in this thread sure do love disregarding the first post.

In any case, for one of my unpopular opinions the game; I find the Mii Fighters to be one of the most interesting concepts in the game. I just kinda wish they fleshed it out more, but other than that, I love playing as my Brawler.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Man, people in this thread sure do love disregarding the first post.

In any case, for one of my unpopular opinions the game; I find the Mii Fighters to be one of the most interesting concepts in the game. I just kinda wish they fleshed it out more, but other than that, I love playing as my Brawler.
In my honest opinion bowser jr needs to be nerfed he is insanely overpowered.
i hope in the tourney update he gets nerfed, does anyone else feel this way?
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I feel it's fair if the user asks for other's opinion.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Last year and for a while before then, my main aspiration in life was to be the best at this game (I didn't go after Brawl because of anxiety and MK). Now, I have completely given up on Smash Bros. competitively. I don't even watch streams anymore, and I've used BlockSite to physically stop myself from going on any other Smash Bros. boards except here. The reason is that the community is tearing itself to shreds and tournament attendees have to constantly fight against everyone else in the community just to play the damn game.
  • They have to fight against stream monsters who only care about what's interesting to watch.
  • They have to fight against posers who don't actually go to tournaments and have horrible ideas, but still think they deserve as much of a voice on issues that don't impact them at all.
  • They have to fight against Melee players who don't even want their game to be there in the first place.
  • They have to fight against tournament organizers who would rather run non-optimal rulesets that the vast majority of entrants don't want just because it's easier for them.
  • They have to fight against each other over whether or not to use customs and non-default Miis, which changes how many characters play and even decides whether or not certain characters are viable.
The staggering amount of absolute bull**** that people have to put up with just to play a video game at a tournament is insane, and even just looking at it stresses me out so much that I can't handle it even while medicated. I don't know why SmashBoards somehow doesn't trigger this reaction. If I had to guess, it's because you guys actually talk about the game itself, which I still love and want to keep getting better at. Sorry if this counts as flamebaiting, I mean no disrespect.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This is a vital and healthy thread and I am glad it exists.

Not an unpopular opinion, just thought it warranted mentioning~

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
This is pretty unpopular with any non-Villger main
-I think Villager is not as spammy as people make him out to be. He has a very good zoning game and good traps, but avoids being spammy because of the nature of his projectiles
Lloyd rocket is slow, and the slingshot has a very limited ranged. So you have to mind your lloyd placements because it doesn't have an immediate active hitbox, and it stalls you in the air making you very vunrable.
And its harder than most people thing it is to constantly land fairs and bairs.
Not to mention Villager has a hard time dealing with more effective zoners such as Megaman.
Link and Samus are not zoners, they are spammers because of the nature of their projectiles
Seriously **** Link and Samus
But if youre good with them then thats OK
as long as you dont ram the B button up the ass every millisecond

Last edited:

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular opinion ahoy,
If namco bandai were to get a second rep like capcom did I'd want it to be mametchi from tamagotchi instead of the usual klonoa request because I feel they could do something interesting with him smash wise, also this wouldn't be his first run in with the mario crew

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Playing Ashley's Song on a stock match is one of the most annoying things in the game, especially if it's the Japanese version

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
I actually liked all three members of the clone trio, and would actually like for them to return for Smash 5 luigified to become more unique, rather than getting outright removed or reverted to costumes.

Silxer

Smash Apprentice
I actually liked all three members of the clone trio, and would actually like for them to return for Smash 5 luigified to become more unique, rather than getting outright removed or reverted to costumes.
Yea I actually do like them as well, but I was really disappointed in the that they were clone characters... I was hopping that Sakurai the clone trio more unique in Smash 4.

Maybe if any of them do return in Smash 5, hopefully they would be made to be more unique then they currently are.

Last edited:

Emerald_Enchanter

Smash Rookie
I really like watching high level Rosalina players I think it's very interesting. I don't understand why people think zone heavy or campy characters are boring I think its just as exciting as rushdown characters.

smashbroslegacy

Smash Rookie
I love every character that's been playable in every installment
:4darkpit::4ganondorf::pichumelee: are just very poorly executed .
I hope every veteran returns to 5mash luigified ( that includes:pt: with every male and female generation skin and using attacks based on the items or pokemon from the games such a fishing rod grab or a wingull up b)
Mewtwo wolf lucas and dixie should have been in the intial ssb4 roster
toad k rool and pit should have been in melee
Alternate character codtumes need to be expanded on by having dry bowser:bowser2:
ninten for:ness2: james mccloud for:fox: ms pacman for :4pacman: and koopa kids from mario party for:4bowserjr:
Pichu is my second most wanted vet besides wolf
Kalos pokemon stage is the worst flucking stage to get in allstar mode for the wii u version
I believe sakurai is working on more pre ballot dlc due to the fact of the only thing we know for sure are tourny mode peachs castle hyrule castle kk slider mii outfit and probs dlc custom moves which all of the mentioned stuff look pretty much done so if he cant keep the team 4ever then they must be working on something we dont konw about my bet is wolf and maybe a newcomer

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I think someone else said this before in a different thread, but I think the retro stages, or rather the overabundance of them, is stupid. One of the coolest things about seeing the stages in Melee for the first time was how they took the idea of "what if locales from old school Nintendo games got a modernized look?" and ran with it. I'm not saying every stage should look current-gen, but stages like Balloon Fight just look out of place to me.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
-I think the only legitimate 3rd party so far is Pac-Man.
-Peach is the only female character that i don't consider as a failure.
-Little Mac & Ryu are lame, fighters in smash just have 0 appeal to me.
-There's too many characters in Smash Bros 4.
- If the Wii U wasn't so lackluster in some points, we might have DLCs at a cheaper price. I mean, it's quite obvious that Smash 4 is Wii U's 1st moneymaker.
-Why can't i just any music for my menu theme? Come on game :/
-I think Smash 4 would already look more lively with better camera effects, that's a thing Melee got right.
-I'm actually dissapointed by the lack of a real game over screen in this game.
-Kirby has so much music pieces missing that it's almost laughable.
-If Smash Bros ripped off directly the old Mario Party formula, but with battles, and Break the Targets/Board the platforms/Other minigames, it would be more solid than the recent Mario Party & would be a rgeat multiplayer mode.
Items went from fun to cheap, damn it Smash 4.
-Smash 4, please learn how to make things rewarding. 150 battles or so for all charas is too easy, i don't want to spend 30 minutes camping on the ledge with Pit hoping to get 4 kills just for an equipment either.
-While i'm not the biggest Sonic fan out there, i can agree ith them getting a new stage as DLC, just because all the awesome soundtracks of the Sonic games can't fit in one stage alone.
- Yes, Game, i'm aware of the consequences of erasing datas, thanks for telling me through, the way you put it is actually quite funny for such a dark act. Thanks for hiding it too, that'll avoid me killing friends after they make a joke about erasing my datas, true story.

Furret24

Smash Master
-If Smash Bros ripped off directly the old Mario Party formula, but with battles, and Break the Targets/Board the platforms/Other minigames, it would be more solid than the recent Mario Party & would be a rgeat multiplayer mode.
That sounds like what would've happened if Smash Tour had been done right.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Monolith Soft, the studios that created Xenoblade, belongs to Nintendo.

Also, care to explain why Sonic, MegaMan and Ryu don't belong to Smash? If it is because they have no tie with Nintendo it's simply not true, all of them have long-standing relationships with Nintendo consoles.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Monolith Soft, the studios that created Xenoblade, belongs to Nintendo.

Also, care to explain why Sonic, MegaMan and Ryu don't belong to Smash? If it is because they have no tie with Nintendo it's simply not true, all of them have long-standing relationships with Nintendo consoles.
Read the first post...

Besides, she already explained. She finds them to be trash.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Just because you don't like a character doesn't mean they don't deserve to be in smash. Who the hell are you, you're a person that bought a product. They is no such thing of the perfect roster or game, you are always going to have something you like or dislike in a game Everyone have a reason to be on this roster if you like them or not. If the bad out way the good then you shouldn't have bought the game.

It's sad that X character shouldn't be in smash because I don't like them is the most popular opinion here, so much so that it shouldn't even be in this thread.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I won't be ungrateful by the inclusion of one my favorite characters of all, and my most wanted newcomer during the pre-release.. but, I have to say ... after a while, I started to get really really annoyed by Pac-Man treatment (plus the aggravating of Sakurai saying that he wouldn't even put Pac in the game, if he needed to use his GA design);

--His moveset is not faithful, he does like two (or three) things which are actual abilities of the character, and everything else is just nonsense...
--Music selection was very poor, he got more musics from other unrelated Arcade games than from his own franchise (which is an immense shame); ... He even got a Pac-Land stage and NO Pac-Land theme, WTH?
--Trophies are a joke.. while would be easy to rip models straight from his more recent games (even, rude of Sakurai's part, ignoring post-reboot stuff) to, you know, pay homage of his story as all the other character in the cast... no, they're all sprites.. Seriously, they put a Power Pallet sprite in a Trophy Stand and called that a day, it's ridiculous; Without mention that all his Trophies are labeled with appearances limited to Pac-Mania at most.. Like, if not any other game in the series ever existed.
--The Ghost Gang are part of his moveset, Assist Trophy and Stage Hazard.. great... I could pass the excuse of them helping out Pac, but exists other ghosts than Blinky, Inky, Pinky and Clyde... for God's sake.. Put Sue or someone else to take the other holes. [also, minor nitpick, but they don't call the group by "The Ghost Gang".. just [the generic and not relevant] "Ghosts"... and WHY they have a trophy for each and a trophy for all of them?)
--Yes, his Alt. Colors are the worst... I was never enthusiastic of changing his iconic yellow color (other Pac-People can be other color, but Pac-Man is yellow, and it never changes), neither giving him a Ms. Pac-Man Alt. Skin (which I'm against for all the cases, btw).. but they gave him something very hard to distinct during battles, principally in the 3DS version.. it's horrendous;
--They didn't give him his "dying sound effect" when he gets a Star K.O.; yeah.. I'm mad about that. =_=

..phew... I think it's everything I have to complain;.. but I'm also sad that I need to share this on the "Unpopular Opinion" thread... since I can't find many people who agree with that.. All I can see is "How it's cool that Pac-Man represents NAMCO Arcade games" (followed how's great that Sakurai chose the Pac-Man World design and such).. no, I'm not happy with that.. I feel like a Ganondorf fan (well, at least the Zelda series as a whole gets a really great representation, Pac-Man doesn't)..

Other than that.. I said some other times, I'm very satisfying with Smash4 so far, I got 3 from my original Top 5 characters (even one of them being Pac-Man so neglected the way I see it), and many matches I always dreamed about.. but life isn't perfect..

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Just because you don't like a character doesn't mean they don't deserve to be in smash. Who the hell are you, you're a person that bought a product. They is no such thing of the perfect roster or game, you are always going to have something you like or dislike in a game Everyone have a reason to be on this roster if you like them or not. If the bad out way the good then you shouldn't have bought the game.

It's sad that X character shouldn't be in smash because I don't like them is the most popular opinion here, so much so that it shouldn't even be in this thread.
If you prefer, i think Smash should be reserved solely to Nintendo characters. It's kind of like " The hall of fame x Mario Party x A Fighting Game " , if these other characters want to get in, they simply don't. They can go make their own fighting game if they want, but i don't care.
Also, thinking that X Character is trash is completely reasonable, quit being a crybaby about it & deal with it, it's just a thread, nothing more, nothing else.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
After thinking about third party reps from Sega a bit more, I'd be totally okay with having Beat from Jet Set Radio make an appearance. He'd have really cool animations for his movement animations and have spray can-related attacks. It'd be awesome to spray characters in the face with paint and move around with style.

I know it won't ever happen, but boy would it be cool if it did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom