• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
Something tells me you're very, VERY salty
What, because I don't like everyone acting as if Gannon is the best character in the world even though he's so fat and gimpable?

I once fought a For Glory match against a Gannon that only went for montage clips, side-b suicides, up-tilts, warlock punches. And you know what happened? He got bodied. Because thats a stupid way to play Gannon

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, so you fought a ganon that spammed warlock punch and you rekt him. This proves nothing. A ganon that knows exactly how to use every single move he has is still extremely scary to face and entertaining to watch because he's so different than your average combo-based top tier.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I love how many people just flat-out ignore the rules explicitly stated in the OP.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
The thing that bugs me about this thread the most (as I've stated before) is that most people just put something unpopular up and then don't justify their opinion at all. I go to this thread to see an unusual perspective on something, and get a bunch of inflammatory statements, many of which could be trolling for all I know. I suspect this is what's causing arguments to break out: there's no apparent logic behind the opinions, and then people's wrong-on-the-internet sensors start tingling.

Last edited:

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
This is practically Super Salt Brothers: Smashboards edition.

BurgerFall

Smash Rookie
NNID
Burgerfall
3DS FC
1564-5404-9127
I like every character, and feel like they're represented well (for the most part), or at the very least deserve to be in the game.

Edit: I don't think I explained this well, so just so that there's no confusion, I'm saying I like that every character is in the game, not that I enjoy playing as each one.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
What, because I don't like everyone acting as if Gannon is the best character in the world even though he's so fat and gimpable?

I once fought a For Glory match against a Gannon that only went for montage clips, side-b suicides, up-tilts, warlock punches. And you know what happened? He got bodied. Because thats a stupid way to play Gannon
Ganondorf is a bad character, no doubt about it but the one thing he certainly is, is disrespectful. 2 spikes, the 2 slowest and most powerful moves in the game, the warlock punch and up tilt and to top it all off a suicide move. Once again, you sound really salty

Last edited:

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
Ganondorf is a bad character, no doubt about it but the one thing he certainly is, is disrespectful. 2 spikes, the 2 slowest and most powerful moves in the game, the warlock punch and up tilt and to top it all off a suicide move. Once again, you sound really salty
Holy **** kid
I dont like the Ganon fanbase
please m8
Im not salty
How many times do I have to say it
If you play Ganon go for it
I wont judge
Its the same case with ZSS
I dont like the character and their normal playstyle
But if you are good with that character who the **** am I to say no

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
All this talk about salt reminds me of something I had in mind:

Is salt itself really such a terrible thing? Now I'm not speaking about the online rage or losing a battle kind of salt, I'm speaking about the simple act of being disappointed in how something turned out, whether that be your favorite character not making it, a stage not coming back, or anything else that may disappoint someone. I honestly don't see how this kind of salt is negative at all, for example is it really that bad to be disappointed that your favorite didn't get in, yet a far more questionable character got in first? I can see it being a "bad" thing if the person feeling the salt was dissing mains and fans of the questionable character, but to just be disappointed or upset by the way a event happened really isn't all that negative of a thing in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
@ Spaghetti Sammy Spaghetti Sammy I completely agree with you. No salt involved here when I say this: Ganondorf is full of gimmicks, jank, and disrespect in a horrible character design and is just stupid. I hate how he turned out. Give me Melee Ganondorf or Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
@ Spaghetti Sammy Spaghetti Sammy I completely agree with you. No salt involved here when I say this: Ganondorf is full of gimmicks, jank, and disrespect in a horrible character design and is just stupid. I hate how he turned out. Give me Melee Ganondorf or Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf.
Heh, yeah, even Melee clone 'Dorf beats GANONCIDE any day in my book.

Last edited:

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
All this talk about salt reminds me of something I had in mind:.
As an extension, I think people are way, way too quick to scream Salt at another person if they say anything that could even be remotely interpreted as charged with negative emotion. Can we all either exercise a little good faith, or acknowledge that not every instance of being upset is full of raging bitterness about it either?

For my own "unpopular" (I don't know how unpopular it really is) opinion: Recoveries have become too strong, either by characters having too many options, or the recovery move itself being too good at recovering. It's pretty rare that I see somebody knocked off the stage that can't make it back. It feels like it takes some serious off-stage edgeguarding or hitting him so hard they fly straight into the blast zone to secure a kill, since if they can get back, they will. Which I'm not saying makes the game fundamentally worse, it's just not something I think I like and wouldn't be opposed to seeing recovery dialed back a bit.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
For my own "unpopular" (I don't know how unpopular it really is) opinion: Recoveries have become too strong, either by characters having too many options, or the recovery move itself being too good at recovering. It's pretty rare that I see somebody knocked off the stage that can't make it back. It feels like it takes some serious off-stage edgeguarding or hitting him so hard they fly straight into the blast zone to secure a kill, since if they can get back, they will. Which I'm not saying makes the game fundamentally worse, it's just not something I think I like and wouldn't be opposed to seeing recovery dialed back a bit.
I kinda agree, I main Doc and Mario, who have some pretty lackluster recoveries, Luigi who has a pretty poor vertical recovery, and Villager, who is vulnerable as **** when he's recovering.
And I think the new ledge mechanics have 90% to do with this due to a lot of the cast being able to sweetspot the ledge, even with their poor recoveries

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I don't like how most people think of or use :4villagerf: when talking about Villager.
The official costume is :4villager: and its not because I hate the female alt, but I feel bad for the original villager, like, he isn't liked or something. I dont see people using :4wiifitm: instead of :4wiifit: (Same with :4robinf::4robinm: but its more understandable as its supposed to be both-gendered)

Please don't kill me

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I don't like how most people think of or use :4villagerf: when talking about Villager.
The official costume is :4villager: and its not because I hate the female alt, but I feel bad for the original villager, like, he isn't liked or something.
I see male villager much, much more often.

Furret24

Smash Master
- People need to shut the hell up about the Ice Climbers, Roy, or Lucas.
- The choice of DLC characters currently out disappoints me. We only have ONE DLC character that isn't a veteran.
- While it's a step up from the previous games, Smash 4 still has some pretty bad balancing issues. Characters like Yoshi, Roy, Sheik, and Rosalina are all in need of nerfs while characters like Samus, Palutena, DK, Zelda, and Doctor Mario are all in need of some buffs.
- Some popular choices for Smash DLC baffle me (ex. Bayonetta, Snake)
- I honestly prefer Fox's new voice actor.
- I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Sakurai is obviously biased towards Kid Icarus in this game. Why did Kid Icarus get about as much representation as KIRBY does?!
- Sonic (any 3rd party franchise really) does not need more than one character and one stage.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
- I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Sakurai is obviously biased towards Kid Icarus in this game. Why did Kid Icarus get about as much representation as KIRBY does?!
I agree with this. In Smash Run, we have like 2 DK enemies, 10 Mario enemies, and then 15,000 Kid Icarus enemies
Not to mention Kid Icarus has like 50,000 trophies, most of it is pointless **** (ex. Space Pirate Ship)

And not to mention the cringeworthy Palutena codect calls

And Dark Pit

Last edited:

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
As a Legend of Zelda fan, Ganondorf fan, and Ganondorf main for melee and 4, I am perfectly happy with ganon's current moveset and general playstyle and I would be content not to have him any other way.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Roy is balanced people, stop complaining, he just punishes you heavily if you make a mistake.
Everything about Roy is balanced except damage output. Especially when compared to Marth...

First of hit of Dsmash...15%. Marth? 8%. 12% if he's lucky.
Nair...14.5%...Marth? 8%, 11% if he's lucky.

Similar stories for Fsmash and Utilt damage.

Silxer

Smash Apprentice
Everything about Roy is balanced except damage output. Especially when compared to Marth...

First of hit of Dsmash...15%. Marth? 8%. 12% if he's lucky.
Nair...14.5%...Marth? 8%, 11% if he's lucky.

Similar stories for Fsmash and Utilt damage.
To be honest, I always thought Roy in Sm4sh as a Marth with the neutral special of Ike and Ike like damage.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
- I dislike Rosalina completely and entirely and wish she stopped getting attention from Nintendo in every possible thing they can stick her in. Her reveal did nothing but annoy me and make me sad that there's not a new Kirby Air Ride. Her being a good character annoys me even more.
- I dislike Lucario completely and entirely and wish he stopped getting attention from The Pokemon Company in every possible thing they can stick him in. I would actually cheer if Lucario were removed from the game forever.
- Pretty much every newcomer in Smash 4, I'm either neutral towards or is a disappointment. Megaman and Little Mac are exceptions.
- Yoshi could use some buffs.
- Returning veterans are far more enticing as DLC than completely new characters. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy are all more appealing than Ryu, K Rool, whatever.
- On the other hand, I don't care if Wolf comes back.

- Some popular choices for Smash DLC baffle me (ex. Bayonetta, Snake)
Bayonetta I can understand, she's a random request, but Snake being in Brawl already makes it pretty easy to understand why people would want him as DLC. Can't be that baffling. I would delete half the roster if it meant getting Snake back.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
- I dislike Rosalina completely and entirely and wish she stopped getting attention from Nintendo in every possible thing they can stick her in. Her reveal did nothing but annoy me and make me sad that there's not a new Kirby Air Ride. Her being a good character annoys me even more.
- I dislike Lucario completely and entirely and wish he stopped getting attention from The Pokemon Company in every possible thing they can stick him in. I would actually cheer if Lucario were removed from the game forever.
- Pretty much every newcomer in Smash 4, I'm either neutral towards or is a disappointment. Megaman and Little Mac are exceptions.
- Yoshi could use some buffs.
- Returning veterans are far more enticing as DLC than completely new characters. Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy are all more appealing than the interior crocodile alligator himself, King Kuhrool.
Rosaluma & Lina is okay, I mean she has a neat playstyle that separates her from most of the cast so thats probably a reason why she gets a lot of attention.
Also shes Peach 2.0 so everything Peach is in, shes kinda bound to work her way into.

I gotta agree with you on Lucario, seriously **** his aura mechanic when rage is already in the game

What about Villy :( :4villagerf:

Joshy does not need a buff, he is ****in' amazing as is, while needing a skilled enough player (not any old jackass can just pick up Joshy and immediately win)

BUT YA GOTTA WANT KUHROOL IN SMASH 4

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Here's one;

It's okay to be disappointed with roster choices from Sakurai.

This shouldn't be unpopular, but people fly into a frenzy from what I've seen if you so much as mention dislike of a singular character choice or omission.

If, for example, you dislike Yoshi and think he's a waste of a character slot that's fine with me. I disagree, but I won't lynch you for it.

People get into ****fits too quickly when their mains aren't universally loved by everyone. It's okay to dislike characters. Even the popular ones.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I'm legitimately surprised that Sakurai didn't give :4megaman: his Rolling Cutter palette. I'm not disappointed, just surprised since it's in almost every Mega Man game, but not this one.
It's this one, if you don't remember:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't think regular balance patches hurt development of the metagame at all; in fact, I think they embellish it.

Consider the early days of Smash 4, no doubt to be recalled with fond recollection as "The Diddy Wars". Top-level tournaments were renowned for their influx of Diddy Kong players, many of whom admittedly played Diddy because he was "the best" and offered a unique advantage in competitive play. The likes of Mew2King and ZeRo continued to dominate the upper leagues, flanked by their simian chum and the world-ending terror of the Hoo-Ha. Opponents fell before them and their aggressive primate shrieks, and the competitive Smash scene was awash with the scent of blood and banana.

And then Sakurai and his dev team decided, "Y'know what, we've been getting a lot of comments about this, how about we nerf Diddy?"

And the Hoo-Ha was no more.

And then he got nerfed again a couple of months later and the jury's still out as to whether he remains top tier or has fallen to, y'know, in and around high tier.

If nothing else, I think it's interesting to consider why Diddy was so ubiquitous amongst the upper echelons of Smash 4's competitive scene, and why Diddy himself became synonymous with such terms as "OP", "nerf", "broken" and "jank". Diddy was widely regarded as "the best" due to his great combo potential, diverse toolkit, relatively heavy weight class and aggressive kill confirms that were easily used in almost any circumstance. Had Diddy remained as he was and the Hoo-Ha continued to tear asunder the field of honour to this day - I actually don't think the scene would have changed all that much, honestly. Though we would no doubt still see a lot of Diddy.

The crux of my opinion is thus: balance patches keep the game from stagnating. I'm being hyperbolic for the sake of humour here, and I don't think Diddy was anywhere near the ban-worthy giga-threat a few Cassandraic individuals made him out to be, though I do think the metagame was - at least in its early days - at risk of becoming Super Smash Kong and Friends. Now that Diddy has been (arguably unfairly, though that's an unpopular opinion for another time) nerfed and isn't dominating the charts anymore, players are trying out new things; and at the same time, low-tier characters are starting to emerge from the woodwork and top players are at least willing to give them a chance. I think that's healthy for a developing game, and while the meta could and would no doubt have carried on evolving indefinitely, I think it would have allowed players to get into comfortable grooves that I feel could have potentially led to detrimental stagnation of the game.

tl;dr - I love competitive Smash and I love to see the game changing and remaining fresh and dynamic.

Do note: I haven't attempted to reread this for structure or anything, I'm really just vomiting words onto the screen. If any of this makes sense, then bravo, my work here is good and done.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I honestly hate Rosalina and most Rosalina players. They tend to be arrogant jerks who trash talk and insult others for not liking their character.

Kirby is pretty good, not top tier, but you know what I mean.

Jigglypuff is bad. Horrid ground game, horrid vertical recovery (easy to spike and if it happens she is dead), horrid range, shield destroys her, etc. Maybe low-mid.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I agree with this. In Smash Run, we have like 2 DK enemies, 10 Mario enemies, and then 15,000 Kid Icarus enemies
Not to mention Kid Icarus has like 50,000 trophies, most of it is pointless **** (ex. Space Pirate Ship)

And not to mention the cringeworthy Palutena codect calls

And Dark Pit
That's only cause they could rip models, animations and sound effects straight from Kid icarus uprising, it's disappointing but understandable

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I had a lot of fun and it felt good to write the above minor treatise, so here's more thoughts from your resident wintropic feline~

Playing a "good" character or being good at the game does not entitle you to be a jerk. Irrespective of your skill level and how well you can body the unwashed masses, it's still a game at its core and the intent should be to have fun. Good-natured trash talk is fine, and even a well-meaning swagger can generate a few chuckles; but at the of the day, if you're using vidya as a means to step on others, your victory is hollow at best.

At the same time, sometimes salt is justified. There are times when things just don't go you way, you mess up your game or you get bodied due to a trivial circumstance, and you need to let out steam - as long as you get it out of your system and carry on being a good spot thereafter, there's no shame in venting your frustration.

It's good faith to know the difference between a john and an honest criticism or insight. Depending on the nature of the comment and the inflection with which it's said, a comment can be discerned as either a john or a valid comment - context is, as always, important.

Not every character is popular due to bandwagoning, and not every character that is bandwagoned is a poor choice of character. A lot of characters are popular due to the hard work and effort of fans, and to deny that is to choose to remain ignorant of the facts at hand.

Nothing justifies ignorance. If you don't know something, educate yourself: trust me, you're doing yourself and everyone involved a favour. This applies to more than just Smash, of course, and I think it's just good universal advice.

Anything can be competitive. For Glory is just as competitive as an official tournament, as is two friends playing to determine who's the better player in that moment. The difference is not "competitive vs non-competitive", it's the difference between the nature of the competition, i.e. For Glory is a different kind of competition to a tourney. All are equally valid in their own way and nobody has the right to say, for example, "For Glory isn't competitive": it is, by the very nature of the word, a competitive environment. It isn't a professionally competitive environment, which is another matter entirely. Again - context is your friend!

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think Rosalina is overrated but that's mostly just because I get tired of seeing her in like everything Mario now-a-days.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I honestly hate Rosalina and most Rosalina players. They tend to be arrogant jerks who trash talk and insult others for not liking their character.
That's not an opinion. You're just using this thread as a defense mechanism so you can freely insult people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom