• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I actually love how Wario is portrayed in this game, don't get me wrong, Wario land needs some rep, but the character himself? Wario's already here, and I love how he plays and functions. I don't get why people complain about the Waft, not only is it as satisfying and rewarding as the likes of Rest and Falcon Punch, but it is just like Wario to win by farting all over his opponent, it's completely in his character, not out of it.

I actually don't want Sing replaced with some better move, I find it to be a pivotal part of Jigglypuff's character, I'd much rather have it be buffed.

I also think Mii Gunner has to be the character with the most untapped potential in the game, so many spacing options, yet pretty much noone plays him/her.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I don't really like the fact that out of the four DLC characters, only one is new and he's third party.
I'll bet you anything that Capcom paid Nintendo to put Ryu in.

I also don't really think Ryu is a worthwhile character for Smash. He doesn't make a solid impression.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I also think Mii Gunner has to be the character with the most untapped potential in the game, so many spacing options, yet pretty much noone plays him/her.
You should check out San then, he has a pretty nice Mii Gunner.

Which leads to my next possibly unpopular opinion. I don't enjoy Zoning, Turtling, or overly defensive playstyles. I understand playing a campy Duck Hunt, or Villager takes skill, but it's just the most boring thing to watch, and annoying thing to play, even when I can get around it. I much prefer being very rushdown with my play. Maybe it's just Smash 4 though, I'm certain I've seen defensive play in other games and they've seemed much more enjoyable.

I'll bet you anything that Capcom paid Nintendo to put Ryu in.
Even if they did, I don't think it's that much of a problem, he seems very nicely done.

I think more characters should have QCs and HCs, DP just feels awkward on analog though. Maybe charge motions would work nicer.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I find the idea of a character/fighter has to be "unique" to be overrated. Does it really matter, especially if that "unique" character may end up being terrible in battle?

I rather have a fighter that's just fun to play as while not sucking in battle.

I still dislike how Mega Man was portrayed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I find the idea of a character/fighter has to be "unique" to be overrated. Does it really matter, especially if that "unique" character may end up being terrible in battle?

I rather have a fighter that's just fun to play as while not sucking in battle.

I still dislike how Mega Man was portrayed.
I know what you mean... *looks at the detractors who say this about Dixie Kong, Toad, and Meowth*

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I would laugh soooo hard if one of the mech guys from Federation Force gets in as a new metroid rep instead of a popular ballot character even though it would be worse than shrek or goku

6 g0d

Smash Cadet
I dont love all the new third party charecters imo they should have just had megaman and sonic i thought smash was suposed to have nintendo charecters
I hate the fact ryu is in this game
no charecter as of 1.0.8 is broken even pika and sheik
False has the most technical sheik in the game

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
- I would play the heck out of Slippy if he became DLC, I've voted for him multiple times in the ballot.
- R.O.B. is one of the most underrated characters in the game
- I'm completely fine with the DLC system that Nintendo has been using. This is a game I spend hundreds of hours playing, I don't mind paying extra for more content (Especially when you consider that the logistics of balancing characters in this game is mind boggling). For the record, this is pretty much the only game where I'm OK with DLC.
- Snake is the only character from a past game that I would like to see come back for Sm4sh. Wolf is lame. LAME.
- Skyloft should be a tournament level if Delfino Plaza is.
- Castle Seige shouldn't be a tournament level.
- Tourney games should go to three-stock matches.
- Yoshi doesn't need to be nerfed
- I'd love to see Geno in this game, even if he was just an alt costume for Villager (Let's face it he'd be a Villager clone.)

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
What does this even mean?
I'm not sure what was unclear but I'll clarify.

Geno (From Super Mario RPG), is one of my favorite characters from the Nintendo universe. I would like to see him in Smash Bros. 4 for the Wii U (The game in which this thread pertains to). However, I know this is a long shot because Geno is not a well known character. So I'd be willing to compromise with Geno being an alternate costume for the Villager (similar to how Alph is an alternate costume for Olimar). When I said "Let's face it he'd be a Villager clone." I meant that if in the off-chance Geno made it into this game as a stand-alone character, his moveset would probably be very similar to that of the Villager's. (Many people on these boards refer to characters with similar movesets as "clones".)

I hope this has cleared up any misunderstandings you may have had regarding my statement earlier, thank you for your patience.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm not sure what was unclear but I'll clarify.

Geno (From Super Mario RPG), is one of my favorite characters from the Nintendo universe. I would like to see him in Smash Bros. 4 for the Wii U (The game in which this thread pertains to). However, I know this is a long shot because Geno is not a well known character. So I'd be willing to compromise with Geno being an alternate costume for the Villager (similar to how Alph is an alternate costume for Olimar). When I said "Let's face it he'd be a Villager clone." I meant that if in the off-chance Geno made it into this game as a stand-alone character, his moveset would probably be very similar to that of the Villager's. (Many people on these boards refer to characters with similar movesets as "clones".)

I hope this has cleared up any misunderstandings you may have had regarding my statement earlier, thank you for your patience.
Yes, but how would he in any way, shape or form be a villager clone?

I don't really think sticks, umbrellas, slingshots, trees and balloons when I think of Geno

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I must have missed the part in Animal Crossing where the Villager could shoot lasers or turn into a cannon; I'm not sure what makes you think that Geno would be a clone of the Villager, of all characters.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
I agree that umbrellas, trees, and balloons wouldn't be a part of Geno's moveset, but that doesn't mean his moves wouldn't behave in a similar way.

-Geno uses a "slingshot" (his "finger shot" weapon) in Super Mario RPG.
-He also uses a wand which could be used similarly to the stick (up-tilt).
-Villager's umbrella (side tilt) doesn't actually behave like an umbrella, anything could be used to replace that move.
-Geno's "Geno Beam" move would probably have a similar timing as the Lloid rocket (although perhaps be a continuous beam).
-Geno's "Double Punch" move could be used to replicate Villager's Turnips(U-air & D-air)
-Geno's character would probably be of a similar size to the Villager's. He is a sentient doll after all.
-He wouldn't use balloons for his up-b/recovery but it wouldn't be out of the question for Nintendo to come up with a similar move for Geno. He's a damn star sprite for goodness sakes. Floating on stars is common in Super Mario RPG, perhaps it would be something like that?

I agree the Down-B tree move would have to be changed to something completely different. But that's the only real problem I see with Geno being a Villager clone.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
My most wanted Zelda newcomer is Lana.

I agree that umbrellas, trees, and balloons wouldn't be a part of Geno's moveset, but that doesn't mean his moves wouldn't behave in a similar way.

-Geno uses a "slingshot" (his "finger shot" weapon) in Super Mario RPG.
-He also uses a wand which could be used similarly to the stick (up-tilt).
-Villager's umbrella (side tilt) doesn't actually behave like an umbrella, anything could be used to replace that move.
-Geno's "Geno Beam" move would probably have a similar timing as the Lloid rocket (although perhaps be a continuous beam).
-Geno's "Double Punch" move could be used to replicate Villager's Turnips(U-air & D-air)
-Geno's character would probably be of a similar size to the Villager's. He is a sentient doll after all.
-He wouldn't use balloons for his up-b/recovery but it wouldn't be out of the question for Nintendo to come up with a similar move for Geno. He's a damn star sprite for goodness sakes. Floating on stars is common in Super Mario RPG, perhaps it would be something like that?

I agree the Down-B tree move would have to be changed to something completely different. But that's the only real problem I see with Geno being a Villager clone.
OK, that doesn't make sense.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
I think I successfully pulled off the Unpopular Smash 4 opinions post with my Geno as Villager idea. SO MUCH HATE!

I'm sticking by it though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It saddens me that most of these comments are "I don't like X character."

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
It saddens me that most of these comments are "I don't like X character."
Well I don't like your attitude.

I like Smash 4's artstyle, but I think I'd prefer a more realistic style like Melee and Brawl. That said, I'd probably compare it's graphics to other games more harshly, so a more cartoony artstyle is probably more beneficial. Still, I hope the next iteration returns to something realistic.

Also, probably not unpopular, but it really annoys me that the residents of Delfino don't walk around in the background of Delfino Plaza. I think it'd be a really nice touch to make the stage come to life, cause right now it's really lacking it.

ThatRandomGuy42

Mr Arcfire
NNID
ThatRandomGuy42
3DS FC
4914-4785-4189
I don't believe tiers are nearly as important as people make them out to be.
Some 'techniques' are honestly just spam.
R.O.B's up-throw combo is worse than Diddy's.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't actually think Samus or Zelda are all that bad.

Not top tier or anything.

But not garbage.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
  • I enjoy Dark Pit being in the game, even though his differences are slight. I feel his change into his own character is justified. Same with Lucina.

• I feel like Sega should have been the ones to get a second rep, instead of Capcom. Don't get me wrong, I love Capcom's games, but Sonic's the returning third party veteran, he should have a buddy with him. I hope there's a second Sega rep down the line, even if it's another Sonic character (my vote is for Knuckles).

• Lucario's aura mechanic is really lame. He should not have both aura AND rage. It's just plain dumb.

• I liked Pit's old design and voice more than his more recent incarnation.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Link has WAY too much kill power. Taking a bad character design and making him insanely strong is making a character that is annoying to fight. Like Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Gina the Maid

Smash Cadet
I think that the :popo: Ice climbers should return as ONE FIGHTER, to overcome the 3DS limits. Am I the only one who purposefully killed off Nana in both melee and brawl so that I could be only Popo? New up b recovery could be pterodactyl. I just love the ice climber's hammers and ice powers, and Nana could be an alternate costume like Robin, Wii fit trainer, and villager.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
Warning Received
-I think Villager's recovery is actually pretty bad (seriously, he's just a floating hurtbox, if you stopped taunting because you thought you spiked him, you could easily follow up)
-Holy **** Ness takes no skill (side-b all day, and then back throw kill at 15%)
-Holy **** Link (and his other self) can just press the B button and smash attack (I respect a good Link, but holy **** do these guys bear the "For Glory" torch better than any other member of the cast)
-ZSS is stupid
-Who the **** invited Dark Pit
-Doc should be B tier at minimum. (C'mon guys he's just a mildly worse Mario/Luigi hybrid, and his recovery isn't that worse)
-Mario's D-Throw Up-Tilt combo isn't that good guys, it's like 12 percent
-WARIO IS NOT BOTTOM THREE, WHAT THE **** IS EVENTHUBS SNORTING
-Gannon is stupid and not "da king of disweespect"
-Little Mac is ****ing amazing
-Apparently I'm the only jackass on the planet who doesn't care much for ZeRo's blatant tier whoring (seriously dude, you're a good guy, you can afford to NOT DITCH DIDDY JUST BECAUSE HE'S NO LONGER TOP TIER I MEAN HE'S LIKE 5TH NOW, THATS NOT THAT MUCH WORSE)
-"Hi, I'm Dabuzz, I gotta help Smash 4's image by camping as Olimar of all characters :^))))))) I bet that won't put more fuel on the fire for the whole Melee vs. The Oppressive Smash 4 Dictatorship"
-The rage effect isn't that bad, c'mon guys.
-WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE LEDGE MECHANICS ;~;
-Ridley will never be in the game, he's like 3 stories tall.
-97% of people only want Krystal in the game because she's a fox lady and we all know how popular those are on the internet
-Whatever that little Waddle Dee thing with the spear is, he'll never be in either.
-KING K ROOL ALL THE WAY BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
-Wheres Wolf? :L
-MEWTWO IS BAD GUYS, HES LIGHT, BIG, AND LAGGY
-I like Melee and Smash 4 :^)

Well there's my formative essay of opinions I have
Do you have any similar opinions?

:^)

• I feel like I'm the only person in the world that doesn't find Kid Icarus' meta humour funny.
    That whole schtick with "Super Bash Sisters" or Pit's comment about Nintendogs made me want to cripple the hands of whatever hack Youtube writer they hired to write the dialogue so they can't ever do this again.

As a result I am dreading when Kid Icarus codecs appear in Smash.
  • Pit's voice acting is arguably one of the worst I've ever heard. He constantly sounds like his voice is breaking, or he's trying to both whisper and shout at the same time, like he's stubbed his toe hard on something whilst he's in a library.

• Kid Icarus: Uprising is the most overrated video game on these forums bar none. The gameplay is solid, but you'd think it was the single greatest masterpiece ever produced the amount people had raved on about it.

• Palutena's gimmick is "have loadsa moves". None of which really stand out as exciting looking. I was expecting something more unique from her due to Smashboards love of the character, but instead she just seems to make up for her lack of personal feeling abilities by being given everything vaguely Kid Icarus: Uprising related. Quantity over quality in that department.

• Not quite as unpopular but Palutena has had by far the weakest trailer of the newcomers thus far. The best bits were when she wasn't in them. That doesn't exactly fill me with hope.
And then
  • K. Rool, Mewtwo and Ridley are ridiculously overrated
*Yes I am aware that may not be ALL the newcomers, but still.
HOLY ****
SOMEONE ELSE ON THE PLANET THAT WANTED TO SHOOT THEMSELVES 8 TIMES BECAUSE OF KID ICARUS UPRISING'S DIALOGUE
But really though, Kid Icarus Uprising is probably the most overrated game on the planet.
And I hate how Pit is basically an anime
A clumsy, bashful, 14 year old that goes "HNNG I FIGHT FOR ALL THINGS" every 3 seconds
And Palutena
"Lol xddddddd pit, videogames, amirite?" Its not even subtle or clever. Like if it was implemented correctly, they would consist of one line, not a whole conversation. (Unless its a whole 4th wall breaking conversation where they talk about their favorite video game or something, I've yet to see that and I want to. Anyone do that in their own show)
Also why was the butt n boobs shot in her trailer necessary? I mean it was ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)tastic, but c'mon.

BUT WHY DON'T YOU WANT KING KUHROOL IN SMASH ;~;

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
-ZSS is stupid
You wanna go tough guy? I'll flip ya like an omlette!

And Palutena
"Lol xddddddd pit, videogames, amirite?" Its not even subtle or clever.
Oh now you done it! After school, gym locker rooms! I'm messing you up!

Nah, but really, it's cool. Not everyone could handle the Goddess of Light or Palutena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom