• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Would it be unpopular to say I'm hyped for Roy and Ryu? It seems that'd be unpopular.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Is it bad that I'm hyped for Roy but couldn't care less about Ryu, maybe it's my lack of Street Fighter knowledge but I haven't played much Fire Emblem either, or maybe it's just cause Roy looks...well, y'know...

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I'd be fine with Roy if it weren't for two things:

1. He's yet another Fire Emblem rep while something like Zelda still doesn't get any new reps at all. Sakurai bias coming in again?

2. He'll most likely be another possible clone character again, but at least he isn't a female Marth (Lucina) or, as much as I like him, a recolored Pit (Pittoo).

I was hoping for someone like Klonoa to be playable instead, but oh well. :/

Last edited:

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Every time I see the term "Sakurai apologist" thrown around as an insult (usually on Gamefaqs) I literally laugh out loud in real life. It's amazing that people are so set on hating the guy who created the series they're posting on a message board about in the first place. There are some miserable people out there.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I hate Roy coming back, but since that isn't unpopular by now, I'll add another

Ryu isn't hype for me at all. He doesn't deserve a spot in Smash. He may be iconic, but he's barely related to Nintendo. Plus, now SF5 has free publicity.

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
I just want a decloned Roy, but Fire Emblem does have a little bit of overload on chatacters.

I hate Roy coming back, but since that isn't unpopular by now, I'll add another

Ryu isn't hype for me at all. He doesn't deserve a spot in Smash. He may be iconic, but he's barely related to Nintendo. Plus, now SF5 has free publicity.
I dunno how I feel about Ryu yet.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There is literally no point in getting salty over a new character.

That's like your girlfriend getting you a birthday present and you throwing a tantrum because the colour of the wrapping is mauve instead of magenta.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
There is literally no point in getting salty over a new character.

That's like your girlfriend getting you a birthday present and you throwing a tantrum because the colour of the wrapping is mauve instead of magenta.
There is a point when the character in question is a clone of a character who already has a clone, and gives a minor series the same number of characters as one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, Zelda.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There is a point when the character in question is a clone of a character who already has a clone, and gives a minor series the same number of characters as one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, Zelda.
No disputing others' opinions~ :3

I'll bite, though:

- Roy isn't even a clone
- Reps aren't a thing
- Numbers mean nothing
- People asked for this character
- This character is a veteran that almost appeared in the previous game
- Don't knock it 'til you try it
- Mountain / molehill and the inverse transition thereof
- If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it

Just let people be happy, alright, friend?

Last edited:

106Ghost

Smash Rookie
The only Dlc character so far that I was exited for the inclusion of was Ryu for these reasons
- Roy and mewtwo are the only two video game characters that I legitimately hate and think should die in a fire.
-Lucas I am indifferent about mainly since I prefer ness and the fact that the series he is from is as dead as lucas's mother, Makes me feel like his inclusion was unnecessary, However I do respect his inclusion.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
No disputing others' opinions~ :3

I'll bite, though:

- Roy isn't even a clone
- Reps aren't a thing
- Numbers mean nothing
- People asked for this character
- This character is a veteran that almost appeared in the previous game
- Don't knock it 'til you try it
- Mountain / molehill and the inverse transition thereof
- If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it

Just let people be happy, alright, friend?
And I'll bite back
- Yes he is
- You can't say that there aren't. Sakurai never said there weren't
- Again, you can't say there aren't
- People are asking for practically everyone. And 90% of the people asking for Roy were fanboys blinded by nostalgia
- So did like 5 other characters
- I've already tried it with Marth and Lucina
- I don't know what this means
- Doesn't change the fact that the time spent on him could have been better soent towards more deserving vets or newcomers

If you want to continue, PM me, because I don't want to stray too far off the topic of this thread

BurgerFall

Smash Rookie
NNID
Burgerfall
3DS FC
1564-5404-9127
im at least a lil bit hype for roy, new characters are always good
...right?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I actually find Roy's inclusion to be well justified, yeah I know.

Why? Because he is a veteran, we shouldn't be making cuts just to make the amount of reps right again, what we should do is add to the franchises that need it instead. While I dislike Roy, and his fanbase has managed to get on my nerves far more times than I'd like and even personally insulted me a few times, he was a part of the series, so I'm not going to let my personal bias override and say no just because I want to. What I want is not necessarily what is actually just or right. For those reasons I believe Roy's inclusion is well justified.

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
And I'll bite back
- Yes he is
- You can't say that there aren't. Sakurai never said there weren't
- Again, you can't say there aren't
- People are asking for practically everyone. And 90% of the people asking for Roy were fanboys blinded by nostalgia
- So did like 5 other characters
- I've already tried it with Marth and Lucina
- I don't know what this means
- Doesn't change the fact that the time spent on him could have been better soent towards more deserving vets or newcomers

If you want to continue, PM me, because I don't want to stray too far off the topic of this thread
There's a Project M joke somewhere in there...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really hate that we think third parties have to be "close" to Nintendo.

It sounds like jealous middle schoolers who hate Becky Mitcher because she talked to Kyle.

As long as they fill the iconic criteria and play well, I don't care.

MalcolmFlex

Smash Cadet
The inclusions are nice; I think Ryu is a huge deal since his series is very popular. Roy and Lucas? Eh, Roy's our boy but I would prefer new additions and new styles of characters; not the same recycled junk. Not shaming Sakurai, I just hope this doesn't prevent other characters from joining the roster because of a character cap. A Majora's Mask representative needs to be added lol, that little overshadow is legit starting to annoy me lol.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
A Melee Mode would be the biggest cash cow this game could hope for.

Even if most of you wouldn't want it.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I want Guile Theme along with the two Street Fighter themes we got.

Last edited:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'm really, really hoping that Ryu won't be a gift, or bundled with Roy, that he has to be purchased individually so that I can choose not to purchase him. Then all I have to do is figure out a way to sell Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic back to Nintendo.

It's nice that Roy is back but I really would have picked a few other cut characters first. Most of all Ice Climbers (even just give us a single Climber if the 3DS can't handle both together).

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Then explain Mega Man, Sonic, & Pac-Man. They're not related to Nintendo either, but you're not complaining about them.
Sonic- He's had a ton of games on Nintendo consoles, plus some exclusives (Lost World, Secret Rings, Advance, Black Knight, Colors, Rush). Plus he's a veteran.

Megaman: The first six games were on NES. X was on SNES. Legends was on N64. Battle Nework was on GBA. Starforce was on DS.

Pac-Man: Namco Bandai worked on the game. Pac-Man has had a ton of games on Nintendo consoles. Plus, Pac-Man was considered for Brawl

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Sonic- He's had a ton of games on Nintendo consoles, plus some exclusives (Lost World, Secret Rings, Advance, Black Knight, Colors, Rush). Plus he's a veteran.

Megaman: The first six games were on NES. X was on SNES. Legends was on N64. Battle Nework was on GBA. Starforce was on DS.

Pac-Man: Namco Bandai worked on the game. Pac-Man has had a ton of games on Nintendo consoles. Plus, Pac-Man was considered for Brawl
You can't just say Ryu isn't relevant to Nintendo while ignoring the obvious fact that various Street Fighter titles were ported onto the SNES, Wii, 3DS, and GBA.

Ryu has the same amount of relevance as his Capcom brother, Mega Man appearing in Smash.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
You can't just say Ryu isn't relevant to Nintendo while ignoring the obvious fact that various Street Fighter titles were ported onto the SNES, Wii, 3DS, and GBA.

Ryu has the same amount of relevance as his Capcom brother, Mega Man appearing in Smash.
If you count the number ofNintendo Mega Man games then Street Fighter games, there's a ton more Mega Man

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
You are also ignoring the fact that not only Street Fighters II was an huge system seller, but it also was a milestone for fighting games. Without it, Smash Bros would likely not even exist. Ryu is perhaps the most deserving of all the third-party characters(not saying that Sonic, Mega Man and Pacman aren't deserving).

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
He's more related than you may think.
Street Fighter/Fighting Street (Wii Virtual Console)
Most of the Street Fighter 2 "series" (SNES, Wii VC, Game Boy (of all things), Game Boy Advance)
Street Fighter Alpha (Game Boy Color)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Upper) (GBA)
Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition (3DS)
Source: Street Fighter Wiki
He's more related to Nintendo than Snake is.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
If you count the number ofNintendo Mega Man games then Street Fighter games, there's a ton more Mega Man
I don't understand why numbers would be relevant. You could use the same argument to discredit Snake. Ryu is just as iconic as Mega Man so his appearance in Smash while unexpected, would be the next potential Capcom fighter.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
He's more related than you may think.
Street Fighter/Fighting Street (Wii Virtual Console)
Most of the Street Fighter 2 "series" (SNES, Wii VC, Game Boy (of all things), Game Boy Advance)
Street Fighter Alpha (Game Boy Color)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Upper) (GBA)
Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition (3DS)
Source: Street Fighter Wiki
He's more related to Nintendo than Snake is.
Didn't Kojima beg Sakurai to add Snake or something like that?

By the way, how would you play Street Fighter on a Gameboy? You need at least 6 buttons to play

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace

Do your research. Street Fighter has appeared on Nintendo consoles & handhelds many times before Ryu is confirmed to be in Smash. The last game to appear on a Nintendo handheld was the 3DS port of Super Street Fighter IV (I could be wrong here), so Ryu is indeed related to Nintendo.

There's no need to be salty here.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You know something's gone wrong when the Unpopular Opinions thread has gone this toxic.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I feel so spoiled by all this new content. I want all of it! Just hoping the dang eShop will load before I have to go to work tonight.

Now I'm wanting Ice Climbers and Wolf back even more. They can't be left out of this Smash Bros. experience.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I'm more hyped for the DLC section than the newcomers for this game.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Are the stages free DLC, are they included with Roy/Ryu or are they to be bought separately?
I'm kinda bitter they gave us a third Battlefield instead of turning Fountain of Dreams into sweet, sweet HD, but that's just me.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Are the stages free DLC, are they included with Roy/Ryu or are they to be bought separately?
I'm kinda bitter they gave us a third Battlefield instead of turning Fountain of Dreams into sweet, sweet HD, but that's just me.
Fountain of Dreams is a Battlefield as well, you know.

Dream Land must be bought separately, Ryu's stage is included with him and the Miiverse stage is free.

Khao

Smash Lord
I don't understand why numbers would be relevant. You could use the same argument to discredit Snake. Ryu is just as iconic as Mega Man so his appearance in Smash while unexpected, would be the next potential Capcom fighter.
Save for 8, the entire classic series of Mega Man started out as a Nintendo Exclusive, with most games only getting into other games in the form of retro collections.

The Mega Man Zero games are still Nintendo Exclusives.

So are the Battle Network, Starforce, and ZX series. Not to mention the handheld versions of the classic games as well as the first couple of X games, which are actually different games. Mega Man games not available on a Nintendo system? Or even not-exclusive? There's not all that many. Pretty much just half of the X series plus Legends 2.

I agree that Street Fighter does have connections to Nintendo and that in the end, it shouldn't really matter when it comes to who makes it into the game. But Mega Man has a huge history on Nintendo systems, more so than any other third party franchise.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Alright after seeing the direct, I don't care anymore. Ryu looks freaking amazing, and the character that I thought would be the blandest terned out to be one of the most unique.

If only I had 11 more dollars in the eShop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom