• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I personally prefer Male Robin, and the Female Trainer. Probably because they're considered the defaults, which I usually stick to unless I really prefer one of the alt costumes a character has. For Villager, I always choose the boy with the purple shirt and for Bowser Jr., Lemmy because he's my favorite Koopaling. Oh and of course Naked Shulk, but that's a given.

I'd actually like to see alt costumes as DLC (or modding if it has to come to that). I was so disappointed they didn't give Little Mac a shirtless alt. Gaymers need their fanservice too, dang it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Roy returning. Three character sharing a core fighting style is not going to spoil the game.

Doc is more fun than Mario (though Mario himself is very fun).

Female Robin is equally as important as male Robin, as is female Villager; male Wii Fit Trainer is debatable, as neither Wii Fit Trainers is particularly important to begin with.

Pilotwings is an okay stage.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm now completely fine with Roy coming back as he shows that the amount of DLC won't be too limited (This applies to Ryu as well) and they're open to adding clones as DLC which gives me more hope for characters like Impa or Dixie

I think Samus is extremely underrated, she's definitely not top 10 or anything but she can still put in work

Instead of constantly picking up old content like a Katamari ball, the next Smash game should focus on new content and experiences, even if it comes as a corollary that a lot of familiar things get cut.

This applies to all things, like stages, items and game modes - but this need is most palpable when it comes to characters.

Smash's history has accumulated somewhere around sixty characters now. If Sakurai vowed to bring them all back in one game, would there be any time after implementing them to add new characters? With two years and a massive, experienced team behind it, SSB4 packs around fifty characters in its base game. It would appear that is the most we should ever hope for in a Smash game, unless the next one is developed in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and by cyborgs.

It's a fact that the total roster is not sustainable. The number of lost characters in the distant-future SSB5 will likely be drastic compared to the cuts we've seen before. Ten to fifteen, possibly. I could probably take a fair swing at which ones it'll be. It sounds ghastly, I know; but I personally believe that it needs to happen to free up the time and money for new things. This post is unpopular because any post I see about future Smash games always wants all veterans returning and all clones being de-cloned and a new Adventure mode and ten hours of cutscenes. I don't want that - I find it unwantable because it's impossible.

If I'm even playing SSB5 by then, I don't want to find myself thinking "Well, time to get this All-Star thing over with," I want to be truly thrilled to put my P1 token on a new, exciting cast, and eagerly anticipate the next round of Smashsketball.

Rock on.

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Instead of constantly picking up old content like a Katamari ball, the next Smash game should focus on new content and experiences, even if it comes as a corollary that a lot of familiar things get cut.

This applies to all things, like stages, items and game modes - but this need is most palpable when it comes to characters.

Smash's history has accumulated somewhere around sixty characters now. If Sakurai vowed to bring them all back in one game, would there be any time after implementing them to add new characters? With two years and a massive, experienced team behind it, SSB4 packs around fifty characters in its base game. It would appear that is the most we should ever hope for in a Smash game, unless the next one is developed in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and by cyborgs.

It's a fact that the total roster is not sustainable. The number of lost characters in the distant-future SSB5 will likely be drastic compared to the cuts we've seen before. Ten to fifteen, possibly. I could probably take a fair swing at which ones it'll be. It sounds ghastly, I know; but I personally believe that it needs to happen to free up the time and money for new things. This post is unpopular because any post I see about future Smash games always wants all veterans returning and all clones being de-cloned and a new Adventure mode and ten hours of cutscenes. I don't want that - I find it unwantable because it's impossible.

If I'm even playing SSB5 by then, I don't want to find myself thinking "Well, time to get this All-Star thing over with," I want to be truly thrilled to put my P1 token on a new, exciting cast, and eagerly anticipate the next round of Smashsketball.

Rock on.
What a good post <3

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be blunt here: after some contemplation, I've realised that most DLC candidates for Smash 4 I'd actually be fine with, or at the very least, indifferent. However, there is one character I hope never gets into Smash 4 as DLC: Geno. I never truly understood why he became so crazily popular, or how he became such a highly requested candidate for Smash 4 DLC. He appeared in one game, people. ONE GAME. (And he cameoed in another.) Mallow doesn't get this level of popularity, so what makes Geno so special? Sorry to vent, but I'm sick of seeing "VOTE GENO" everywhere I go.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
I'm gonna be blunt here: after some contemplation, I've realised that most DLC candidates for Smash 4 I'd actually be fine with, or at the very least, indifferent. However, there is one character I hope never gets into Smash 4 as DLC: Geno. I never truly understood why he became so crazily popular, or how he became such a highly requested candidate for Smash 4 DLC. He appeared in one game, people. ONE GAME. (And he cameoed in another.) Mallow doesn't get this level of popularity, so what makes Geno so special? Sorry to vent, but I'm sick of seeing "VOTE GENO" everywhere I go.
Sheik was only in one game.... Also Ness the "one game" argument isn't really valid I have no problem with your opinion of Geno but that isn't really a good reason to not be included

Last edited:

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I think most of Geno's support was bandwagoning/a fad. I didn't really understand it either myself. Unless you're talking about the Brawl days, I don't see much Geno support anymore.

I personally kind of hope K. Rool doesn't make it into the game. Or at the very least, not before Dixie. Reason being because I think the playable characters/stars of the DKC trio should all be playable anyway, as they're the most recognizable to non-hardcore fans. If they wanted to make a new retro DKC stage and K. Rool as a boss on that stage, that would be much more fitting in my opinion. I don't buy into the whole "we need villains as a playable character" argument. An unnecessary character shouldn't get into Smash Bros. because they're the "main villain" of their franchise (Kamek, anyone?)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sheik was only in one game.... Also Ness the "one game" argument isn't really valid I have no problem with your opinion of Geno but that isn't really a good reason to not be included
To be fair Ness was at least the protagonist of his game.

Sheik's still valid as a weird one off choice, but at least she got in because she was sewn to Zelda originally.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
thats because the fans has been waiting/begging him to appear in a game again since 19 YEARS ago. if we are going to get him in smash thats mean he is going to appear in many games in the future. and he have a huge fanbase because Geno did alot of things that none other mario characters did

unpopular opinion:
-:4alph:should have his own slot and not just alt skin
-:4bowserjr:should use his brush
-:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: should have different defence/speed/attacks
- SE should come back
- :4metaknight:doesnt need a nerf
-:4metaknight::4tlink::4charizard:should glide
-:4ganondorf::4mewtwo::4palutena:should float just like :4peach:
-:4tlink::4drmario:should get cut because they are just a 2nd version of the original version there are way more deserving characters before them
-:4kirby::4sonic::4fox::4falco::4ness::4bowser::4charizard::4lucario:should keep their brawl voice
-:4megaman::4pacman:should have a voice

Last edited:

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Hell no that Toon link get cut! He's way too much of a fun character! And we should get tetra from the series too.

Anyway I think Ridley is overhyped. People just bandwagon imo. Dont see how Ridley would be a smashcharacter. He works fine as a boss on a stage and should stay that way.

There, I said it.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Why is it that people think marth my baby boy is bad?
He has lag where lag should not be.

I actually think he and Lucina are great, and if they didn't have that lag to weigh them down, they'd be amazing.

vsock

Smash Rookie
Because he doesn't tip as much anymore...
Get it? Because his sword is shorter? So it's harder for him to get tippers? I'll be here all week!
He has lag where lag should not be.
I actually think he and Lucina are great, and if they didn't have that lag to weigh them down, they'd be amazing.
Aw they cut him down? That's a damn shame. Good thing my friends wont notice anywho

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Why is it that people think marth my baby boy is bad?
My guess would be that he's different now and he's definitely not as good as he used to be so people immediately wrote him off as "bad" but I think people just need to get used to the changes and learn how to play him to bring out his true potential. IMO he's a solid mid-tier character with a lot of unexplored potential.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Edit: wrong place.

I guess for an unpopular opinion, I wish more songs from Mario Sunshine made it into Delfino Plaza.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The Aerials have more lag, and his Side B don't have use as a Recovery Move (this also applies with Lucina... but worse)
I disagree with the second part. Dancing Blade can get you a bit of momentum in the air, at least the first thrust. Lucina's is the same. I know this because it's saved me on many occasions. ;3

Khao

Smash Lord
There's no such thing as "disrespectful" moves, I honestly just find the very idea of calling them that kinda arrogant.

The word just lost all meaning by now.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
There's no such thing as "disrespectful" moves, I honestly just find the very idea of calling them that kinda arrogant.

The word just lost all meaning by now.
Disrespectful moves? What are those?

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Just as I never got why Geno was so requested to appear in a Smash Bros game, I never got how Roy got to be so popular either. I always figured him to be an inferior clone of Marth who was only in Melee to pad out the roster. Maybe it's cause I never really played Melee during my younger years (Always more of a Brawl player.) so I couldn't see why "Roy's our Boy", but it still confuses me on how an inferior clone gets so much ridiculous popularity in the community. Besides, I prefer Lucina as the clone of Marth.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Just as I never got why Geno was so requested to appear in a Smash Bros game, I never got how Roy got to be so popular either. I always figured him to be an inferior clone of Marth who was only in Melee to pad out the roster. Maybe it's cause I never really played Melee during my younger years (Always more of a Brawl player.) so I couldn't see why "Roy's our Boy", but it still confuses me on how an inferior clone gets so much ridiculous popularity in the community. Besides, I prefer Lucina as the clone of Marth.
What are you guys talking about? We already got Roy in the game! :4roy:
Sorry, that joke is probably overdone by now...

But I do totally agree with you. I seriously don't understand why people want Roy back, when we already have a clone of Marth that had the exact same deal as Roy did. It baffles me that people outright hated Wolf and Falco when Brawl came out (despite them still being quite different) but when it comes to Roy, everyone seems to want to see him back, despite bringing nothing to the roster aside from being yet another clone to Marth.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What are you guys talking about? We already got Roy in the game! :4roy:
Sorry, that joke is probably overdone by now...

But I do totally agree with you. I seriously don't understand why people want Roy back, when we already have a clone of Marth that had the exact same deal as Roy did. It baffles me that people outright hated Wolf and Falco when Brawl came out (despite them still being quite different) but when it comes to Roy, everyone seems to want to see him back, despite bringing nothing to the roster aside from being yet another clone to Marth.
To be fair, Roy has his own still of play different than Marth and Lucina.

The sweetspot and the base of the blade made them very different characters. Plus Roy himself is a neat character.

Not debating your opinion. Just explaining why it's like that.

Last edited:

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
To be fair, Roy has his own still of play different than Marth and Lucina.

The sweetspot and the base of the blade made them very different characters. Plus Roy himself is a neat character.

Not debating your opinion. Just explaining why it's like that.
And fire. .-.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Because he doesn't tip as much anymore...

Get it? Because his sword is shorter? So it's harder for him to get tippers? I'll be here all week!
Not true. Only his Fsmash and Dolphin Slash have less sword reach compared to Brawl. He also has slightly worse grab range (like almost every character in this game). The rest of the his moveset has either the same range or better range compared to Brawl and his entire moveset has better disjoint (more important than range).

I get you were joking but even if his sword was shorter it doesn't make it harder to get tippers. You'd
just be slightly closer to your opponent.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You want more unpopular opinions? Here's a doozy:

I'm honestly not sure if I'll bother buying all the fighter DLC. Ignoring possibilities, Lucas at the moment may just get straight up skipped over.

I question if I'd of bothered buying half the characters on the default roster had they not shipped with the game initially and were charging me £4.49 per character for both versions.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I'm honestly not sure if I'll bother buying all the fighter DLC. Ignoring possibilities, Lucas at the moment may just get straight up skipped over.

I question if I'd of bothered buying half the characters on the default roster had they not shipped with the game initially and were charging me £4.49 per character for both versions.
I really don't think that's at all unpopular. I think that's actually very rational and understandable.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes

I'll add to that: I think the next Smash game oughta be laid out economically like Killer Instinct 2013. Scratch the idea if whoever makes the next Smash wouldn't be up for the job, but having thought about it for a bit, I think it'd work out fairly well for the Smash series. If nothing else, the devs would most likely be more communicative with the competitive audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom