• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Probably the fact that he wasn't really a "wanted" character and doesn't really have a significant role in pokemon besides being a starter. Personally I jumped for joy when greninja was revealed.
#teamfroakie

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Probably the fact that he wasn't really a "wanted" character and doesn't really have a significant role in pokemon besides being a starter. Personally I jumped for joy when greninja was revealed.
#teamfroakie
None of that has to do with relevancy though.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
None of that has to do with relevancy though.
Probably cuz he's nawt Sceptile guiz amiright amiright? :p

Seriously, though; as much as I could enjoy Sceptile getting in since it was my first ever starter, I'd rather get a type we haven't gotten in Smash before; like a Rock-type Fossil Pokemon.

totallynotbecauseimadeasupportthreadforone:p

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'll have to agree that bandwagoning for characters is kinda dumb, like how people jump on the boat for a new character when their game is announced (Splatoon, Yooka-Layle, etc.) but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Znatty

Smash Rookie
The rage mechanic is completely unnecessary and makes it ridiculously easy for heavy characters to make a comeback. I just love when I'm stomping a character like bowser and then get killed at less than 50% because of rage.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I can't take Smash seriously enough to be a competitive player. It's my favorite game, and I have way too much fun playing the game casually, which always puts me in a great mood. The moment I start taking a game too seriously, the moment it will start making me miserable and stop being fun.

This reason is why I'm glad that Smash isn't catered to the competitive crowd, no matter how much they may want it to be.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
This reason is why I'm glad that Smash isn't catered to the competitive crowd, no matter how much they may want it to be.
I feel like not catering to the competitive crowd makes the competitive people even more riled up into making it into a competitive game. kinda like how melee became a thing.

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
I can't take Smash seriously enough to be a competitive player. It's my favorite game, and I have way too much fun playing the game casually, which always puts me in a great mood. The moment I start taking a game too seriously, the moment it will start making me miserable and stop being fun.

I love this game and it's the most fun I've had with smash since 64 but playing it with competitive players just allowed me to get better which increased my window of fun against better players instead of constantly fighting level 9 bots and bad players.

I will agree that I find competitive smash funny, but getting better at a game is always fun, eh?

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I don't have an opinion on Smash Tour. At most, it's harmless, and I already completed all the challenges involved with it so I never have to touch it again. I like it much more than SSE (which was a huge waste of time), but an Adventure Mode similar to Melee's would've been cool to run through a few times.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Referring to a few of the above posts, competitive play is precisely what made Smash more fun for me. Maybe it's because I played 64 and Melee since they came out, but I got reeeally bored of standard casual play after a while. Like, even now, it's still fun from time to time, but I just don't get how people consistently enjoy 4-player free for alls with items on, occasionally fighting CPUs, and nothing else. Like, just limiting yourself to that. I don't get it.

Again, I'm not saying that's never fun. I myself played a bunch of 8 player Smash just a week ago and had a blast. But I always had that mindset that if I like a game enough and am confident in my skill, I want to raise the ceiling and get into the competitive scene. After that, I decided that for me, it was more fun when the matches were decided by who was the better player rather than some random roll-of-the-dice element such as an item spawning.

I'm not saying competitive play is for everyone or that you're not playing the game "right" if you aren't playing by standard rules. Not at all. Just trying to give some insight and bolster the fact that we're not all obsessed with winning and super-serious. Every local I've been to has been great fun and no one really gets mad or takes a loss too seriously.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
There is no real, best Smash game.
There is no real, best way to play a Smash game.
There is no real, one character who deserves to be in Smash.

THESE ARE ALL ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE!

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'm sorry but...

How?
You have to look at it from an outsider looking in perspective.

Like as an outsider looking in I didn't see relevancy in Palutena or even Ike back in Brawl.

And you can't just say "but it's Pokemon".

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think as interesting as Greninja is from a gameplay and design perspective, it is just another Pokémon. Yes, it is a starter, which puts it a tier above most Pokémon. But pre-Smash it was nowhere close to the most popular starters (none of the Gen VI starters are or were massively popular), it has zero relevancy in the anime so far (Ash's still is a Frogadier atm), etc. Most of Greninja's popularity come from the fact it is a Smash character (it is not different from say, Roy). So looking by this perspective, yeah, Greninja has no business being in Smash. It was added to the roster to fill the Pokémon quota. Sadly there were plenty of other popular and more iconic Pokémon, but I assume the new rep needed to be from Generation 6, so... I mean, there is Hawlucha, but by the time it got popular, Greninja was already in Smash.

And while I would put Greninja over a few other newcomers (Lucina, Dark Pit... and no, my issue with them isn't their status as clones, but the fact -imo- there was no need for two newcomers for Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus and if Sakurai wanted to add clones, why not add clones for under represented series instead?), it is the least relevant newcomer looking at the characters' background and relevancy to Nintendo, Smash, the Pokémon series, etc.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I really really really disliked Rosalina inclusion.

She my least favorite character in Smash 4.
I don't like its pupet playstyle with luma is kinda lumpy to me. I main Olimar, another pupet character that is MY MAIN.
She floaty and boring. Mewtwo is floaty but is menacing style make him more awesome.
I have become salty when someone use her... Really salty.
Dark Pit and Lucina I pretend they don't exist when rosalina I forgot that she is even the game.

Peach is kinda OP, NO ONE SEE BUT, Is d-air now is such a stupid powerful move. some other air attacks.

Smash Ballot unpopular Opinions:(ON POPULAR CHARACTER)

Shovel Knight is great... But is too new but still the best indie right there.
K. Rool is awesome... FINALLY! There peace. Im actually, Im excited is K. Rool is the winner.
Inkling is ok... More new than ever but, I don't think there ready. This no there chance. because, there a real reason...(no hentai ok)
Shantae is great... She is a franchise and the company REALLY want her in, but she soo sexually... :4zss::4palutena::4zelda::4peach: Never Mind (actually, :4zelda::4zss: are way hotter than the last game, even :4samus: look sexy. soo sexy character are allowed.)
Krystal is great... Get Wolf first then we get the girl. So star fox fan and fury can die happy.
Dixie Kong is awesome.. same with k. rool. In reality, Donkey kong series NEED more characters.
Bayonetta is kinda worry... SHE EXTREMELY STRONG, it would be very hard to put her in and take a lot of work.
Isaac is the best choice (or K. Rool.). Im just really want him very baddly. need more goldan sun love.

People should unpopular opinions of their smash ballot character."

And one more thing.

Olimar has the best grab range.(especially with WHITE PIKMIN. That range is simply stupid.)
Duck Hunt and Luigi has one of the best grab.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Warning Received
The rage mechanic is completely unnecessary and makes it ridiculously easy for heavy characters to make a comeback. I just love when I'm stomping a character like bowser and then get killed at less than 50% because of rage.
stop going ****** against heavies with rage then

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People need to stop hating characters...

That goes for both speculation and the actual game....

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I like everyone's inclusion in the game at release.

But I will be upset if Roy(Wowee three Marths whoopidy doo), Ryu (simply because other fighting game, and 2nd Capcom rep), and Krystal(I simply dislike the character.)

Other than that, I am fine with just about any reasonable DLC inclusion. Just give me Bandana Waddle Dee first.

Khao

Smash Lord
Items suck out the fun of the game. Like, even in casual free-for-all settings.

I have no issues with Dark Pit or Lucina being in the game as clones, though I do think that they should have more differences for them to really be worth it. At the same time, I don't like the inclusion of Dr. Mario as a separate character, because he's not actually a separate entity from Mario (unlike the other two, who are different people from Marth and Pit).

And talking about clones, I genuinely think that the game would be better off without them. Not because I'd expect unique characters in their place, but because even without them, this roster is already ****ing ginormous and doesn't need any sort of filler content to beef it up any more. At this point, they just serve to make the whole thing more bloated and convoluted. In the end, I don't really care much (which is why I said I have "no issues" with them) and I wouldn't change anything about them now that they're in, but I just don't see how they add anything to the game, and as such, would be better off out of it in the first place.

I'd fully welcome a second Sonic character, not because of me being a fan (haven't ever even finished one of his games) but because at this point, with two appearances in the series, his series is an established part of the Smash series, going beyond "guest" character status. And I'd say the same thing for Mega Man and/or Pac-Man if they were to return in the next Smash game.

The one and only problem with the new Classic Mode is the lack of bonus stages. Everything else is miles ahead of anything found in previous Classic Modes in the series.

The 3DS version is a fantastic idea, and I hope that handheld Smash is here to stay.

As much as I'd love his addition, the "Ridley is too big" argument is completely valid.

The lack of an Adventure Mode is not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'd love it if this whole Ryu debacle was put in simply put in to mess with fans. Sure it'd be salty as Hell, but my God it would be hilarious.

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
I want Ivysaur and Squirtle in smash4. Their design is awesome and the movesets very interesting.
I want more pokemon représentative, like Machamp.
I would like to see Hitmonchan as an alternate costume for Little Mac.
I don't feel Ganondorf is à Falcon clone.
I feel like N64 Falcon side smash was more ''Captain Falcon like'' than today's Falcon's side smash

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I'd like it if another Pokemon or two was playable, but I'm aware that the Poke Ball Pokemon are lesser representation for it. It is Nintendo's second biggest series and deserves everything it has in the game. The six playable Pokemon we have is probably the best six to represent the series, though (the three most popular Pokemon, another popular Pokemon from the fourth gen, an extremely popular Pokemon from the latest gen, and Jigglypuff, the one that just won't go away #kidding). My main beef with the Pokemon series though is the stages. Nintendo's second biggest franchise only gets four stages, with most of the new ones being on the 3DS version? Lmao whatever. There should've been at least one more new Pokemon stage on the Wii U version.

They missed the mark with the stages in general in my opinion. Mario has way too many, what with 12 between the two versions. I'd take a few of the past stages (every single one from Brawl?) and add a new Kirby and Pokemon stage, whether they be retro or not. Also Gerudo Valley should've been in both versions of the game. Skyloft was such a letdown as the new Zelda stage imo. It's Delfino Plaza with a new coat of paint...woohoo.

Znatty

Smash Rookie
stop going ****** against heavies with rage then
You're right, I should just never ever get hit by any of their moves while they have rage. Because that totally justifies such a pointless and unfair game mechanic.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You're right, I should just never ever get hit by any of their moves while they have rage. Because that totally justifies such a pointless and unfair game mechanic.
Bruh
RULES:
1) No criticizing another poster's opinions (both directly and indirectly). When you come across an opinion you don't agree with either ignore it, address it in another thread, or take it to PMs.
I know Wedl may have criticized you first, but no need to keep it going.

Now to contribute to the thread:

I think L-Cancel is dumb and I'm glad it's not in the game. If you really want the game to be faster, just decrease the landing lag, no need to add an arbitrary skill barrier.

Znatty

Smash Rookie
Bruh

I know Wedl may have criticized you first, but no need to keep it going.

Now to contribute to the thread:

I think L-Cancel is dumb and I'm glad it's not in the game. If you really want the game to be faster, just decrease the landing lag, no need to add an arbitrary skill barrier.
LOL. "I know he broke the rule first but let me quote it as if you're the one who's at fault."

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I actually like Great Cave Offensive, it feels like it's ripped straight out of Kirby Super Star:love:. I spend far too much time riding those mine carts than I should be.

I dislike rage. Oh wait that's pretty popular.

I actually prefer the new classic mode to the old one. I know, I'm insane.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't have any problem with BIG stages.

Ridley is still too big to Smash.

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
An unpopular opinion of mine...

Rage is a thing. It's not a big problem for me but it's an annoyance.

Other than that, the amount of people on the smash 4 poll that came out. 9% of the Smash community (Or well the 3500+ that actually voted) mains as Captain Falcon, the actual number was 345+. 2nd place was...I believe between Luigi or Fox. I'm not sure.(I could be totally wrong on 2nd place. I didn't really pay attention)

Where as my own main, Lucario only had 42 people. Meta Knight with 26. Ganondorf was around 30.

It just bugs me that Falcon has that much attention. ("I want to show my moves too..." - The remaining Smash 4 roster)

EDIT: If I broke a rule, I apologize. I'll ask to have it removed.

Captain Falcon for 1st place (351 votes, 9.1%)
Ness for 2nd place (231 votes, 6%)
And Sheik for 3rd place ( 219, 5.7%)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom