• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
i think that lucina is utterly useless and outshined by marth in competitive play if you can't manage tippers that's fine and all but if you wanna play seriously in tournaments there's no reason to choose her

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This ballot and seeing so many votes for various individuals makes me realise I'd be cool with nearly any character. Character's I was previously against, I see some worth in now. I feel like there's no video game character I'd be seriously disappointed with...

...except Geno that is.

I still don't get the darkhorse popularity of this one time character who once was lucky enough to get a cameo in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

I honestly believe he's the least worthwhile Nintendo choice. Not even because I want a different Mario rep even; I get the appeal of Daisy or Waluigi or hell even getting a third Mario in Paper Mario, I just don't get why this one time partner is getting so much support behind him.

Mallow doesn't get this sort of support, none of the Paper Mario sidekicks have this sort of support...what makes Geno so special?

This isn't even me just being snide; it's a genuine question, if anyone can explain it to me I'd be grateful. I've been scratching my head about this since Brawl.
Part of me have always wanted to see Geno actually make it in because of his extreme popularity in the Brawl days, it brings me back to when we thought everything was possible. I don't care much about the character though, I never supported him myself, the countless Geno support signatures are just neat memories for me.

Honestly though, I'm fairly certain Geno's popularity stems from the timing of Brawl's release. By the time Brawl was about to come out SMRPG had just hit 10 years, this is typically around the time where people who grew up with a game become nostalgic for it, sometimes a bit earlier than that. The majority of people who speculate about Smash also seem to be within the 15-20 years range, for Smash 4 this means a lot of people grew up with the 64, hence why we have so many Banjo & Kazooie fans this time around (luckily not many considered him a realistic candidate though), but during the Brawl days that meant they grew up with the SNES, so obviously a lot of people had a relation to SMRPG. Because of this all it took was for a few people to bring Geno up and it ended up spreading like wildfire through blind desire. This also explains why he was so woefully unpopular for Smash 4, the majority of people who were on the pre-Brawl train have moved on from Smash speculation long ago and instead the next generation took over, and obviously the N64 generation aren't familiar with Geno, which is honestly probably for the best.

Last edited:

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
Not sure how unpopular this opinion is but I feel like the tier List for this game will be one that is constantly changing as I find every character almost perfectly balanced ALMOST

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Water swords are generic?
Only in the sense that all of his smashes are water sword-based. All those smashes just look like variations of the move Razor Shell.

I get so angry when I see/hear/read about people wanting basically clones (despite how much they will argue how different the character is) as DLC. WE HAVE A CHANCE TO BRING COMPLETELY NEW CONTENT TO THE GAME. Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were put in because of lack of space, fine, whatever. But all this *****ing for lucas just took up a slot, and now people are clamoring for Daisy/Wolf? REALLY? Get someone who can completely change the game, not just "Well i liked wolf more than fox in brawl". Think about the community, not just your damn belly button.
Just saying, Wolf is not a clone and Lucas is only a semi-clone.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I get so angry when I see/hear/read about people wanting basically clones (despite how much they will argue how different the character is) as DLC. WE HAVE A CHANCE TO BRING COMPLETELY NEW CONTENT TO THE GAME. Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were put in because of lack of space, fine, whatever. But all this *****ing for lucas just took up a slot, and now people are clamoring for Daisy/Wolf? REALLY? Get someone who can completely change the game, not just "Well i liked wolf more than fox in brawl". Think about the community, not just your damn belly button.
Good news, there will be a new character! :awesome:
And that means you won't have to keep ******** about it!

Troykv

Smash Master
i think that lucina is utterly useless and outshined by marth in competitive play if you can't manage tippers that's fine and all but if you wanna play seriously in tournaments there's no reason to choose her
Actually Lucina is in general a worse Marth xD

On Topic.

I've come to think that bothers me the support she can get to be DLC. ... The reason is that unlike the other characters in Star Fox that can be classified as "Funny Animals" without much trouble, Krystal is a furry... a furry, directly it is. A VERY human-like fox girl... Ugh.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I can appreciate almost all first party nominations for the ballot.
I can even get behind most second party nominations.
The third parties I support are more of playful wish then a serious consideration.
I can't get behind any filthy indies what so ever.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this Ballot is already decided. From what I saw on a most-votes characters list Inkling is pretty much the way to go. Remember people, It's not most votem wins, we are giving them sugestions, and Inkling is in the Top 10 in both America and Japan. It's the new Nintendo IP, puting It on smash would Be an awesome marketing strategy, they even have Amiibos already. It's so true that it works that Im prebably going to buy the next fire emblem, and I had never heard about the game before Sm4sh, where there is 4-5 FIre Emblem characters. Inkling is the smartest way to go and I would get desapointed with nintendo's marketing team if it doesn't heppen.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Brawl was much better in terms of items to collect, single player, stages, and introducing new modes. Smash 4 is much better in multplayer and tournament legality. I just really like them both. (Yes, I still play Brawl occasionally.)

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I feel like this Ballot is already decided. From what I saw on a most-votes characters list Inkling is pretty much the way to go. Remember people, It's not most votem wins, we are giving them sugestions, and Inkling is in the Top 10 in both America and Japan. It's the new Nintendo IP, puting It on smash would Be an awesome marketing strategy, they even have Amiibos already. It's so true that it works that Im prebably going to buy the next fire emblem, and I had never heard about the game before Sm4sh, where there is 4-5 FIre Emblem characters. Inkling is the smartest way to go and I would get desapointed with nintendo's marketing team if it doesn't heppen.
I feel like Inklings were going to be DLC even before the ballot and amiibos were announced, now it's just confirmed.

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Just saying, Wolf is not a clone and Lucas is only a semi-clone.
They are clones in the sense that their moveset is fairly similar conceptually (not that they play the same) as another character. I just want to see something completely new and unexpected. Duckhunt isnt the greatest character but i definitely think his inclusion and playstyle is super exciting

Good news, there will be a new character! :awesome:
And that means you won't have to keep *****ing about it!
I know were getting a new char. And people are voting on it. And theyre suggesting boring things weve already seen. Thats why im ********

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Unpopular opinion:
i dont understand why people wants inkling. splatoon wasnt released before SSB4 and its not released yet and people doesnt even know everything behind this character story its like asking for the girl from the new fire emblem trailer and we have no idea who is she. they are way more deserving character before inkling you can just request inkling for SSB5 but not SSB4 its too early to have inkling same goes to henry or any character from a game from a game that was released after SSB4. i am happy that japan doesnt care about inkling as much as people here do

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Unpopular Opinion: I feel like Sheik is the most boring character in SSB4, I want her to get nerfed so badly.
Agreed, she's my least favorite of the top characters in Melee, but at least there she took some semblance of skill. Sm4sh Sheik is such a flowchart character.

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51
I dont want to see wolf back through smash ballot. why ask for characters you have all ready gotten and on top of that a character that is mostly a clone. AND on top of that, not fight for NEW characters that have never been in samsh and even might make a stay for the next smash. (ex: simon belmont, Bomberman, bayonetta, banjo)

and with these votes you can bring some IPs that are dead, back to life (bomberman, banjo)

Wolfs not a bad choice its just that so much good that can come from NEW characters

1.Nintendo working with other companies
2.Bringing old IPs back to life
3.New smash mechanics on never seen characters

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
I dont want to see wolf back through smash ballot. why ask for characters you have all ready gotten and on top of that a character that is mostly a clone. AND on top of that, not fight for NEW IPs that have never been in samsh and even might make a stay for the next smash. (ex: simon belmont, Bomberman, bayonetta, banjo)

and with these votes you can bring some IPs that are dead, back to life (bomberman, banjo)

Wolfs not a bad choice its just that so much good that can come from NEW ips

This x a million.

Also, although its not a new ip for nintendo, +1 vote for geno

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I dont want to see wolf back through smash ballot. why ask for characters you have all ready gotten and on top of that a character that is mostly a clone. AND on top of that, not fight for NEW characters that have never been in samsh and even might make a stay for the next smash. (ex: simon belmont, Bomberman, bayonetta, banjo)

Wolfs not a bad choice its just that so much good that can come from NEW characters

I'm going to predict that Wolf will be shown at E3 along with the new Star Fox. And the reason they haven't shown him now is because they have to record new voice clips with the Star Fox 64 3D voice actor.
You heard it here folks. Mark it.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I'm going to predict that Wolf will be shown at E3 along with the new Star Fox. And the reason they haven't shown him now is because they have to record new voice clips with the Star Fox 64 3D voice actor.
You heard it here folks. Mark it.
I agree. What I think what will happen is alongside the release or near the release of Lucas, they will announce Wolf to fill the hype gap between June and October, as well as to promote Star Fox U

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
I don't get the Nerf Greninja meme. Greninja needed nerfs, he could get away with some stupid stuff in his old state.
Right now I'm happy with Greninja, he's still an extremely good character that takes skill to use rather than cheaping out. He isn't easy to exploit anymore, he's not ZSS or Sonic, which I'm thankful for.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I don't get the Nerf Greninja meme. Greninja needed nerfs, he could get away with some stupid stuff in his old state.
Right now I'm happy with Greninja, he's still an extremely good character that takes skill to use rather than cheaping out. He isn't easy to exploit anymore, he's not ZSS or Sonic, which I'm thankful for.
Better nerf Irelia

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Judging by the topic of this thread the more likes you get the less successful you actually were. Lets see how well I do here.

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Nintendo is running out of cool characters to add to smash bros and should just focus their efforts on getting permission to use 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
With Lucas confirmed to be returning, I'm content with the roster and don't care who else gets added. I'll still buy any new character that gets released, though.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Shovel Knight popularity really grinds my gears.

First of all he's a third party.
Second he's a filthy indie.
Third he only has two games.
Fourth only been around a couple of years, yet to earn his stripes.
Fifth not dedicated to Nintendo, multiplatform floozy.
Sixth well I don't really have a sixth point, but I guess i have to ask, what sort of ahole jumps around on a shovel.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
My Unpopular Opinion: These votes are almost as stupid as Goku, Shrek, etc
Ridley (deconfirmed. Sakurai already addressed it. He's done.)
Shovel Knight (one game. 3rd party. indie. also on Playstation.)
Geno (3rd party, was in one Mario game out of 100+)
Snake (he never really fit in Brawl, barely tied to Nintendo anymore)
Bayonetta (had one Nintendo exclusive, didn't sell extremely good, clothing too non E10)
Banjo-Kazooie (Microsoft owns them. They have no chance unless Nintendo buys them back.)
Any Fire Emblem character, even my boy Roy (Fire Emblem is already overrepresented as heck.)
Any Xenoblade newcomer (Xenoblade is NOT big enough to warrant it 2 characters.)
Lana (seriously?) :facepalm:

Troykv

Smash Master
Shovel Knight popularity really grinds my gears.

First of all he's a third party.
Second he's a filthy indie.
Third he only has two games.
Fourth only been around a couple of years, yet to earn his stripes.
Fifth not dedicated to Nintendo, multiplatform floozy.
Sixth well I don't really have a sixth point, but I guess i have to ask, what sort of ahole jumps around on a shovel.
Sixth?: He hasn't japanese release.

Last edited:

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I think voting is just an illusion to build hype. They'll put in whoever they want.
Yet I still voted twice....for TAILS!

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta (had one Nintendo exclusive, didn't sell extremely good, clothing too non E10)
Banjo-Kazooie (Microsoft owns them. They have no chance unless Nintendo buys them back.)
Any Fire Emblem character, even my boy Roy (Fire Emblem is already overrepresented as heck.)
Any Xenoblade newcomer (Xenoblade is NOT big enough to warrant it 2 characters.)
The people with the rights to banjo actually said they'd love for him to be in the game. Nintendo has absolutely no incentive to add them to the game however, other than fan demand.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I was totally onboard until you said Lana :c
butyeahitotallyagreeotherwise...

Pyr

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Finally got one to post here. =D

I believe that, compared to Brawl's era, that the Smash community has become very whiny and entitled, and I believe that community focused games like League of Legends is to blame. 4 Years of people being able to whine and ***** and have a major company listen to the masses has conditioned so many people to whine and ***** instead of adapt and win. Cry for nerfs and bans instead of putting down the Johns and the Salt shakers to read and learn and do some ****ing research for a change. And the entire competitive gaming community, from Fighters to Pc games to even offline games, will forever suffer because of it.

If a select few champs didn't exist, I'd stop playing it just because of this, regardless of my enjoyment level.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Just based on my profile picture you could probably gather the characters I would love to see not only would never make it into Super Smash Bros in any form, they also should not ever be genuinely considered. I will keep my thought of playing as Illidan on a stage in which you ride on the back of the almighty Deathwing in my dreams. :p That being said there is one character whose addition I believe should not have happened, and when comparing it to the countless amount of other characters speculated on during the days before the games final release, feels to me as a wasted character slot, even if I will be the first to admit that as a fighter it is a pretty amusing idea. Duck Hunt.

This is a character that has shown up on almost every fake roster I have seen online, as a joke. A symbol of the invalid nature of the roster. It is a one shot character whose continued references have always been treated as, a joke. There is a very paranoid, absurd thought in the back of my head that his prevalence in so many of these joke rosters had him, is the original source of his consideration.

I don't hate him as a fighter, and I will be the first to admit that in the grand scheme of things, he is probably the most original adaptation of a character into Smash Bros, with a close second being Mr Game and Watch. I hate him as something which could have been a more significant character from one of NIntendos strangely underrepresented franchises, and feels like what has become a meme was given significance instead.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Can I just bring up Zero Suit Samus?

Bayonetta is almost fully covered up

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
****, what if they reveal a new Metroid game at E3 this year, and Sakurai and the team know about it? Would they make a DLC fighter to promote that game, since Smash is all about the promoting of other games? And what if Ridley is the main antagonist of said game? Would Sakurai try to make Ridley a fighter again or would he just skip over it?

So many questions. :p

EDIT: Unpopular opinion of mine is that Ridley is the most required newcomer, alongside K.Rool. Nobody else is needed, just surplus.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
****, what if they reveal a new Metroid game at E3 this year, and Sakurai and the team know about it? Would they make a DLC fighter to promote that game, since Smash is all about the promoting of other games? And what if Ridley is the main antagonist of said game? Would Sakurai try to make Ridley a fighter again or would he just skip over it?

So many questions. :p

EDIT: Unpopular opinion of mine is that Ridley is the most required newcomer, alongside K.Rool. Nobody else is needed, just surplus.
You say that like Sakurai gives a **** about metroid. If it's prime 4 he could (Emphasis on could) add sylux who was hinted at in prime 3 assuming he is in the game

Also, sorry, I still get mad everytime ridley is brought up

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
If I had to choose a Metroid character, I'd go with Kraid.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
Here's one: Diddy's major nerfs is the worst thing that could have happened to the Smash 4 meta. He was flowcharty and dull to watch, but he was an offensively-geared character- one of the few in S4- and a relatively hard counter to Rosalina & Luma.

Hope everyone's excited for the flood of Sheik / Rosaluma players and an era of Dabuz reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom