• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
From my casual perspective...

Dr. Mario being brought back is a greater troll move than Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt.

I know the idea of clones is the more the merrier, but I'm pretty sure Ridley fans would be upset if he got in as a Charizard clone. Nobody wants to see their fave get in as an imitation of another character.

As a 3DS owner and somebody who only had the 3DS For a while, making the 3DS version was a mistake. The removal of transformation plus Ice Climbers along with stuff scattered over two systems means you end up with two wonky games. I'd rather the 3DS Content have been included in the Wii U and have no 3DS, period.

Smash Tour isn't that bad. I've yet to play it with friends.

I miss Snake. And Ivysaur and Squirtle. I of course miss the Ice Climbers, but that's not unpopular, is it?

I'd love something lIke Melee adventure mode to return. If they don't want to do SSE grandiose plot again, that's a shame, but at least give us Melee adventure!

Bonuses NEED to return. They were so much fun. I loved trying to rack them up during 1P.

The removal of individual target rooms continues to upset me.

Melee had the best events.

I like the cross generational sound effects. This really cements certain sounds as being Smash sounds. Eg the trophy collect sound, the baseball bat ping. Mario has well recognized sound effects too: life up, pause, coin, jump, power down, etc. I think that is the type of small detail that ties a series together.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
The removal of transformations was a good thing. Most people just played as their favorite form exclusively, so it wasn't all that great of a mechanic anyway. We also got some good specials to make up for it.

SilverOne777

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverSlaughter
I guess this is unpopular as a mod deleted my topic when this is the "General" discussion thread(define general)
Rosaluma is over powered, hence why she is now in my top 4 ;)

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Smash Tour isn't that bad. I've yet to play it with friends.
The thing that I found with Smash Tour is that it's generally uncontrollable chaos, and that can be a blast if you're in tune with it. But if you go into Smash Tour thinking skill will get you to the end, you're most likely going to get pissed.

I've played it twice with another human player. My little-brother especially dislikes it, because of the random nature of all the elements fighting against you all of the time.

I've had a good time with it, just for the sheer chaos of it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want every single veteran back.

Even if I don't think they're likely.

:pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee::popo::lucas::ivysaur::squirtle::snake::wolf:

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Lucina is so lifeless in the game. Yes, she is very serious, especially in the battle but still, she smiles in her game, she can get very happy in her game. Here, she barely shows any emotions and is just so serious. At least smile or something. This almost makes me want to switch from her to Marth ( that and he is just better ).
That said, there are instances that I like how serious she is like this:
LucinaIcon(SSB4-U).png

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I may be nitpicky, but what I think was the worst move from Sakurai when developing Brawl was to make Lucas so physically like Ness, like, body wise. I get he's a semi clone and it's stylism and yada yada, but it only really reinforced the idea that the protagonists of Motherbound are blank slates when it comes to body type. I've got two issues with that, and one is that blank slates hardly ever encourage people to get creative and diverse with their headcanons, but quite the contrary is sadly the case. Issue two is simply, Ness is not a blank slate when it comes to body type. NPC dialogue from Earthbound confirms that Ness is on the heavier side. I think that when Lucas was introduced as a character in Brawl, Sakurai had the chance right there to make him look slimmer than Ness, thusly showing the contrast and making sure people don't forget Ness' body type. It really can't be that hard to do, even if stylism is your way to go. But of course not. They managed to make the 'Dorf not look like Cpt. Falcon in Gerudo pants in Melee, so what was the issue with Lucas?

On the contrary, Lucas does look slimmer in his appearance as a trophy in Sm4sh, and Jeff does this too as an assist trophy, but they just aren't as significant as a full character, such as Lucas in Brawl. I'm really tired of seeing Ness' body type being more or less of a secret to everybody, and I think Sakurai could have helped making it less of a secret. But no.

_gold_

Smash Master
When Sakurai said Mewtwo was coming as DLC, sure it was a neat little love-letter to the fans, but adding him is a bit overkill. Having six Pokemon characters is just too much for me. And of course Lucario (originally the replacement for Mewtwo) has caught on a lot of attention since his departure.

Secondly, I want to like Amiibos, but they are just not worth my money and are virtually pointless (for SSB4).

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
When Sakurai said Mewtwo was coming as DLC, sure it was a neat little love-letter to the fans, but adding him is a bit overkill. Having six Pokemon characters is just too much for me. And of course Lucario (originally the replacement for Mewtwo) has caught on a lot of attention since his departure.

Secondly, I want to like Amiibos, but they are just not worth my money and are virtually pointless (for SSB4).
If you wanna get technical, Brawl had 6 Pokemon characters too. They just didn't take up 6 slots. Many people who mained Zard/Ivy/Squirtle used some sort of mod to split them up, even before Project M.

When you're like me and tend to only main 1-2 characters and they both happen to get cut, it really helps to see one of them get brought back. While Lucario deserves his spot, he plays nothing like Mewtwo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm so irritated that you cannot grab Sandbag when you are online practicing.
THIS.
A THOUSAND TIMES, THIS.

Especially when I'm playing as Mario and want to practice the D-Throw to U-Tilt combo.

I also hate it when I'm playing with friends on Wii U, and going to grab the dummy with my GC controller causes the GamePad Mic to turn on when I don't want it to.

Digadr

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmaranteP
I think that megaman moveset was bad because it not like the games, in the games you have to change to get the boss powers, in smash no, megman moveset should be like supersmashbros flash 2 moveset.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I think that megaman moveset was bad because it not like the games, in the games you have to change to get the boss powers, in smash no, megman moveset should be like supersmashbros flash 2 moveset.
Megaman was OP in that game because his neutral B acted like the ray gun does IN-GAME, which means you can just spam it until the CPU falls off the stage.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
If you wanna get technical, Brawl had 6 Pokemon characters too. They just didn't take up 6 slots. Many people who mained Zard/Ivy/Squirtle used some sort of mod to split them up, even before Project M.

When you're like me and tend to only main 1-2 characters and they both happen to get cut, it really helps to see one of them get brought back. While Lucario deserves his spot, he plays nothing like Mewtwo.
It should also be noted that 4 of the 6 Pokemon characters come from Gen 1 alone. Not that it's a problem for me, being that it's the best Gen :awesome:, but I'm sure that's a complaint for some people. Though it would've been nice to get some Gen 2 love but whatevs.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I'm sick of people saying that Smash 4 has non-existent edgeguarding, because of the "forgiving" ledges and everyone's good recovery.

No

Everyone having good recovery and ledge mechanics being the way they are is so you are ENCOURAGED to get your butt off-stage and edgeguard aggressively. They don't only favor the losing player.

Best mechanics of any Smash yet.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
I legitimately want :pichumelee: back. Mainly so I could get really good and beat everyone on For Glory with a joke character. I want to instill the feeling of "I just got owned by PICHU."

D

Deleted member

I never understood the appeal of Roy from Fire Emblem other than the fact that he was in Melee.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I never understood the appeal of Roy from Fire Emblem other than the fact that he was in Melee.
There is the whole thing with being in between Marth and Ike in terms of speed and power, but the character himself isn't very well-liked in the Fire Emblem fandom.

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
The general strategy and attitude of every Ness player I've encountered has made me despise the character entirely. I'm glad there will never be another game in the Mother series out of pure spite.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Here's how I see it.
In a case such as this, it's always best to separate the character from the fanbase. Just because a character (for one reason or another) is annoying doesn't mean one should hate on the character or be glad their franchise is dead. As in all honesty there's no positive from having such a mindset. For example, I can safely say I don't like the way people use Little Mac, but you don't see me going and hating the franchise. Why? Because Punch Out didn't do anything. It wasn't the franchise that influenced people to go out and spam Side-Bs, nor was it the reason for people to constantly abuse him. And thus I have no reason to hate it.

And on top of that, it's only a game guys. There's no reason to get worked up over a portion of the fanbase to justify spite. You're always bound to get both good and bad players from all across the spectrum, in inevitable in fanbases. Simply wipe off the dirt and move on.

Tl;Dr: Hating on a franchise because of how people play a character in a crossover fighting game is pointless. Because in the end the franchise did absolutely nothing to influence the players. Hate the gamers, but not the game.

Regardless, it's all opinions in the end. So to each their own.

Edit:
-I still to this day don't get why we didn't get Stage Builder on the 3DS. Personally it would've worked great with how they implemented it on the Wii U, and there's not really much of a difference between a Gamepad and a touchscreen. So why not?

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
  • I hoped that Ridley wouldn't get in. Not because I didn't like him, but because the legions of dillholes who constantly started flame wars and derailed threads in favor of him didn't deserve to be rewarded for it.
  • Even not counting the clones, this is easily the worst cast of newcomers in the series' history. Aside from Mega Man, Little Mac, Bowser Jr, Villager, Robin and debatably Duck Hunt, none of the newcomers deserved their spots. Pac-Man's importance to Nintendo's history is minimal, Rosalina (previous to SSB4's development) was only in three games and really only important to one of them, there are a million better choices for Kid Icarus characters than Palutena, Greninja will immediately be forgotten like the Gen 4 and 5 starters, Miis should've either been full-on custom characters or used attacks based off of games where you play as your Mii, Wii Fit Trainer shouldn't have been added until they knew whether or not her game had a future (and according to this, it probably doesn't), and there is currently no indication of whether or not Shulk will ever be in another game again.
  • Sheik, Jigglypuff and ZSS are infinitely less important to Nintendo than Lucas, Wolf and Squirtle, and should've been cut instead of them.
  • Coaching should be banned. Or, at the very least, there should be an option for one player to request that neither party has coaches (I'll be doing this at my tournaments when I start running them).
  • The lack of Momentum Cancelling makes survival DI really boring. It's good that you can't instantly escape hitstun anymore, but it also takes a lot of skill out of survival DI and reverts it back to "hold diagonal-up and pray."
  • Funky Kong and DK Jr. would make much better additions to the roster than K. Rool or Dixie.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina was the main character of Galaxy's story, she was the narrator in Galaxy 2, she was the 5th playable character in 3D World, and is one of the most popular characters in Mario Kart and was the poster girl for MK8, and has been popular paid DLC in two games. And is often praised as the best mainstream Mario character, mainly because she has actual character development and backstory.

I'm sorry but I don't call that "one minor supporting role", and even if she only had that, popularity is popularity. It alone merits the character as consideration for Smash.

Pac-Man does have importance to Nintendo. Namco develop the Mario Kart Arcade GP games which also feature Pac-Man characters, Shigeru Miyamoto developed "Pac-Man VS" for the GameCube and Mario was the commentator in that game, and Namco in general have always had a nice relationship with Nintendo, right down to Bandai Namco developing Smash 4. Pac-Man is also Miyamoto's favourite video game character, and was inspiration for creating Mario. Nintendo's own mascot was inspired by Pac-Man. Plus, he's the most famous video game character of all time.

Palutena was a given as a KI newcomer. She was actually in the Subspace Emissary, so she was already a part of the Smash Bros universe, but she's easily the most well-known and important character from the franchise, after Pit. She also had a lot of easy moveset potential. She may not be my favourite character from the series, but she was always gonna be first choice.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not me that disagrees, it's objective facts.

When you have an "opinion" that outright contradicts facts, it's not really opinion, it's just a misunderstanding of how things really are, or just a flat out contradiction.

Heck, I wanted other characters from Uprising more than Palutena (mainly Hades) myself, but that doesn't change the FACTS that made her deserving of her spot, just to highlight that in that specific instance. There are objective things that warrant a character for consideration, Sakurai has made that abundantly clear, and every character on the roster had enough of at least one of those things to earn their spot.

Not to mention that the post I quoted cited roles of characters in their original games incorrectly, as well as the relationship status between two companies.

"I don't want X character in the game" = opinion.

"X character didn't do anything to warrant being in the game even though objective evidence suggests otherwise" =/= opinion. It's just a contradiction. The latter was the kind of statement I was responding to, and there is no rule in the thread that states "don't provide objective evidence that proves something objectively wrong". I also see that this is the "unpopular opinions" thread, not the "make objectively wrong and contrary statements" thread.

So no, I am not breaking any rules.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
It's not me that disagrees, it's objective facts.

When you have an "opinion" that outright contradicts facts, it's not really opinion, it's just a misunderstanding of how things really are, or just a flat out contradiction.

Heck, I wanted other characters from Uprising more than Palutena (mainly Hades) myself, but that doesn't change the FACTS that made her deserving of her spot, just to highlight that in that specific instance. There are objective things that warrant a character for consideration, Sakurai has made that abundantly clear, and every character on the roster had enough of at least one of those things to earn their spot.

Not to mention that the post I quoted cited roles of characters in their original games incorrectly, as well as the relationship status between two companies.

"I don't want X character in the game" = opinion.

"X character didn't do anything to warrant being in the game even though objective evidence suggests otherwise" =/= opinion. It's just a contradiction. The latter was the kind of statement I was responding to, and there is no rule in the thread that states "don't provide objective evidence that proves something objectively wrong". I also see that this is the "unpopular opinions" thread, not the "make objectively wrong and contrary statements" thread.

So no, I am not breaking any rules.
I'm not sure how criticizing somebody's views is not criticizing someone. Your "facts" are just points about the characters that you believe contradicts the statements brought up by Runic. Essentially criticizing his opinion.
so you are breaking the rules

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not sure how criticizing somebody's views is not criticizing someone. Your "facts" are just points about the characters that you believe contradicts the statements brought up by Runic. Essentially criticizing his opinion.
so you are breaking the rules
First of all, there is no quotation marks to those facts. That's what they are, my opinion has nothing to do with them. Do you want me to dump each individual thing in image/video form and make this even more tedious?

Second, I didn't criticise his views, I corrected his given facts. Those may influence his opinion, but they are still a separate entity. And they were incorrect facts, so I corrected them.

Thirdly, I actually outright agreed with one of his opinions, but again, the facts provided that were independent of it were just wrong, so I corrected those, just like in the other cases. If you still can't see the problem with trying to say I am criticising his opinion when I myself agree with it, then you clearly have not been reading this properly.

I didn't disagree or have a problem with the points of "I don't want X character" or "the roster is disappointing". I corrected the facts that were brought in independently of that, because they were wrong.

To just give another example:

In scientific reasoning, something can only be called a fact when it can be observed as it occurs or as a state of being, or when it can be proven through experimentation. Experiments must be repeatable, and return the same result no matter who the observer is. Things that were once thought of as facts, however, have been shown to be incorrect. For example, the world was once thought to be flat by many people. This is now known to be incorrect, as objective evidence was introduced showing that it is actually a flattened sphere.
Someone can dislike the fact the Earth is round. I would have no problem with that or any real disagreement or criticism to make there. However, if they tried to state that the Earth was not actually round, it is not a matter of opinion at that point, the person is just flat out wrong and can be corrected with objective evidence.

Comparably to me agreeing with him about Palutena, I may agree with someone in that it sucks that the Earth is actually round, but if someone chose to believe that the Earth isn't round (beliefs =/= opinions either, BTW) based on incorrect evidence, then I can correct that independent of my opinion or their opinion.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Unpopular opinion: Toad got robbed.

Bowser Jr, all the Koopalings, Rosalina(AND Luma) AND Dr. Mario?

Better be in next time, or something has gone horribly, horribly awry.
It is criminal that Toad isn't playable in Smash. Unlike Ridley and K. Rool, Toad is actually more well-known, more popular, more important to Nintendo, and he has his own games.

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
I would only be in support of playable Toad if they make reference to his attributes in Super Mario Bros 2 by giving him godly throws. And if they let us have Toadette as an alternate skin.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I'll say this. Smash is built on a cast of characters one could debate all day on the degree "deserving" each character has. I mean, when I first played Smash 64, I had no idea who Samus, Ness, Captain Falcon, Kirby, or Fox was. Yet BECAUSE of Smash, I have played F-Zero, Mother, and Star Fox; and Metroid has become my favorite single video game franchise/universe as a whole, and the Kirby franchise led to some great memories and some childhood friends. None of that would have happened, probably, if it weren't for Smash.

On the same note, Fire Emblem would likely not be as popular in America if it hadn't been for the inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee. I'd never heard of Sheik or Ganondorf when Melee came out, and then when I saw Mr. Game & Watch I was like "what is this??"

Brawl took less risks in that regard, I feel like. You had ROB who'd previously been re-introduced in Mario Kart DS, Lucas who people just took as "Ness but different" (it seemed like people were less shaken by his introduction being from a familiar franchise, same goes for Ike) and Pit. Pretty much every other character in the game was a pretty well-publicized one even if less popular like Olimar. And... to be honest, I think Brawl's roster was pretty boring. Looking back on it now, it almost feels like given how much Melee expanded the roster from 64, Smash 4's roster is more like what Brawl's should have been. Personally, I like the addition of new characters nobody's heard of as long as they're interesting and their franchise has a strong future. That's why I'm particularly happy Shulk made it in--Xenoblade is a quality game, and its sequel so far is shaping up to be a great successor. Shulk may not be in the game himself (that we know of), but at least Xenoblade is getting a new game and offering new experiences to the player.

As much as I love F-Zero and Captain Falcon, I can sort of see why that franchise hasn't gotten more roster attention. Falcon really is about as iconic as the F-Zero series gets, but doesn't have a lot to his name other than being a racer and bounty hunter. It's sort of difficult to try to put weight on a series that's not very combat based. Captain Falcon's moveset is entirely irrelevant to the series, so my understanding is that he's there more as a staple/icon/fan-favorite/classic to represent a series that's difficult to properly integrate into a fighter/party game.

As to why Wolf and Lucas got cut and Metroid didn't receive another representative, I'll never understand. Huge missed opportunity in my book, but at least we get Mewtwo? Wish we got just one more DLC character after that so the roster selection was even/full.

But anyway, my point is that Smash isn't about how many popular Mario characters can get stuffed into the game. It's about finding balance between properly representing popular series and also supporting diversity and unique franchises that maybe not too many people have heard about but Nintendo sees promise in, a la Xenoblade in this game, Kid Icarus in Brawl, Fire Emblem in Melee. I mean, if there aren't boundaries being broken, then what's the point? If only the most well-known characters get in, then it doesn't really serve as a marketing tool, which Smash partially is.

Also, there's always going to be odd-duck characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, ROB... To not expect them is to not be in the full Smash spirit, in my opinion.

As for me, I think Smash 4 has the most interesting roster so far, compensating for the fact that, for example, Melee wasn't going to be able to have 50 characters. Even if I hate that Lucas/Wolf are gone and some of my favorite franchise went unnoticed, I really enjoy the spread of characters brought to the table in this game. Clones are sorta welcomed since they didn't hinder the development of other characters too much.

Anyway I gotta go, but that's my take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom