• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Tails the fox should have been a third party charachter even if it meant shulk didnt make the cut....

Wow i do feel better.
I actually kind of agree with you. Tails has become just as iconic as Sonic in my opinion. And why the holy **** do we have freaking Shadow as an assist trophy instead of Tails or Knuckles anyway?

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
- i just think game series with aonly 1 to 2 characters in smash should at lest get another...
ex: F-Zero, Metroid, Sonic, wario ware, ect....
no more sword users... looking at all the fire emblem clones and link clones.....

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I actually kind of agree with you. Tails has become just as iconic as Sonic in my opinion. And why the holy **** do we have freaking Shadow as an assist trophy instead of Tails or Knuckles anyway?
Because Shadow uses an attack that nobody else does. He's still notable, regardless, but he's the Chaos Control master. Sakurai probably didn't have anything unique to give Tails or Knuckles. Not that they wouldn't be great AT's, but it's a matter of actually having them do something.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Because Shadow uses an attack that nobody else does. He's still notable, regardless, but he's the Chaos Control master. Sakurai probably didn't have anything unique to give Tails or Knuckles. Not that they wouldn't be great AT's, but it's a matter of actually having them do something.
Dark Pit and Doc Mario didn't have anything really unique but they exist in the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dark Pit and Doc Mario didn't have anything really unique but they exist in the game.
I didn't realize Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were Assist Trophies. ;) Read the context of the post I replied to next time. We ain't talking about playable characters, in which case, Tails and Knuckles stand out pretty well(as does Shadow). Now, giving them a reasonable ability as an Assist Trophy is different. I guess Tails could come in on his mech or plane and fire at enemies. Knuckles mostly punches, which makes it harder to work with. Maybe using his digging ability could help.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I do not understand people's problems with re-used sound effects, specifically menus. Game franchises re-use sound effects all of the time, especially menu stuff. Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc, all re-use sound effects all of the time, and we live in a world where many AAA games actually use stock sound effects, and nobody complains about that, so why is it a problem when Smash does it? The only reason developers do this is to save time and money. It's not lazy, it's basic project management practice.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'm actually okay with Sakurai not working on the next Smash Bros. Especially during Brawl's development, it felt more like an "art project" at times...I felt like he cared more about the music than the gameplay. Also, the reboots of My Little Pony and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show that even "soulless corporate products" have the potential for greatness in the right hands, and Nintendo's definitely not gonna let Smash go to just anyone.

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
- Smashville should've been on the 3DS instead of Wii U. In Brawl, Smashville was representing Animal Crossing: Wild World, a game that was on the original Nintendo DS. It would've made sense for stages with a portable background to be on the 3DS version. Also, we have Town and City, a stage that represent Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Wii and is similar (a little bit more dangerous mind you) to Smashville.
- What is the point of having Toon Link when there isn't really anything Wind Waker related other than a song or two. I think they just added Toon Link in relation to Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
- What is the point of having Toon Link when there isn't really anything Wind Waker related other than a song or two?
Because he is the best Link and Wind Waker is the best Zelda game and that's why Zelda Wii U is basically Wind Waker on steroids.

:troll:

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
- What is the point of having Toon Link when there isn't really anything Wind Waker related other than a song or two. I think they just added Toon Link in relation to Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD.
Don't forget about Spirit Tracks in 3DS. Nintendo's kind of treating Toon Zelda like its own franchise at this point.

Also they added him in Brawl as I'm sure you're aware so it's not really like they went out of their way to promote Wind Waker HD.

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
Don't forget about Spirit Tracks in 3DS. Nintendo's kind of treating Toon Zelda like its own franchise at this point.

Also they added him in Brawl as I'm sure you're aware so it's not really like they went out of their way to promote Wind Waker HD.
I was fine with him being in Brawl since there was a Wind Waker stage in that game. But I just feel like he's pointless in this series.

But then again, I guess they have Toon Zelda as a series like you mentioned.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The only series I find criminally under repersented is F-Zero. I know it's all but dead at this point but it's my favorite racing series and it would be nice to see more stuff from it. I think they could have brought back Big Blue from Melee on Smash U as well.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
- i just think game series with aonly 1 to 2 characters in smash should at lest get another...
ex: F-Zero, Metroid, Sonic, wario ware, ect....
no more sword users... looking at all the fire emblem clones and link clones.....
If we could get ashley from wario ware, that would be hilarious.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I was fine with him being in Brawl since there was a Wind Waker stage in that game. But I just feel like he's pointless in this series.

But then again, I guess they have Toon Zelda as a series like you mentioned.
I think his design goal was just to be a more interesting version of Young Link, who was pretty pointless.

And fair enough, but I'd personally rather look at it from another angle: why do we have characters with no corresponding stage? Still nothing for ROB...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There is the Spirit Train stage on the 3DS version, not to mention as was said, R.O.B. still doesn't even have his own stage as well as a couple other characters too if you look at them individually.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
- Pikachu is overpowered.

- Sheik is overused.

- Fox is overused.

- Mr. Game and Watch is actually good - Fast, agile, good smash attacks, and a great recovery.

- Sonic needs a 2nd rep.

- Xenoblade needs a 2nd rep.

- Ganon needs to be decloned.

- Waluigi needs to join.

- Wario needs a Warioland stage.

- An upgraded Pichu could be a good fit for DLC.

KingofEvil

Smash Rookie
What's all the hate about Kid Icarus for? I love all those games, especially Uprising.

If you wanna de-clone Ganondorf, fine, but at least bring his moveset/stats over to Blood Falcon or that F-Zero assist trophy guy (Samurai Gordo?) or something? Don't toss him out completely. Personally I'd rather just see a 2nd Ganondorf as a brand new character, styled after Wind Waker and given an entirely new moveset. Or if you won't do that, then throw in Demise or something.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
What's all the hate about Kid Icarus for? I love all those games, especially Uprising.

If you wanna de-clone Ganondorf, fine, but at least bring his moveset/stats over to Blood Falcon or that F-Zero assist trophy guy (Samurai Gordo?) or something? Don't toss him out completely. Personally I'd rather just see a 2nd Ganondorf as a brand new character, styled after Wind Waker and given an entirely new moveset. Or if you won't do that, then throw in Demise or something.
Not sure if you've read of it, but there was a Project M fan suggestion with decent backing a while ago (as in about a year ago) to make PM Ganondorf into Black Shadow and then use the clone engine to build a new Ganondorf with a more Zelda-faithful moveset (minus the model, which is already available). Of course it didn't work out because the Ganon mains like maining Ganon, not Black Shadow. It's still a very logical idea though, especially since Black Shadow is from the same game as Falcon. As of the new version of PM, Ganon's sufficiently de-cloned/Zelda-faithful though.

Browny

Smash Hater
Look at all these non-unpopular opinions above...

As for mine

I believe that E-sports and sponsoring will see Smash 4 become extremely popular at the death of melee. Apex will be the last big melee event before smash 4 takes over. By allowing corporate sponsors into smash, they will dictate where the money goes (therefore, where the pros go) and pro teams will start to sign on smash 4 players. Their current players will be told to switch to smash 4, or lose their sponsorship. Nintendo will also push for this. When the melee pros no longer play melee and instead play smash 4, melee will die with it.

Thats the thing about sponsorship. Once people get it, they NEVER want to lose it because they spent so many years trying to get it.

Ershrek

Smash Rookie
NNID
Erickwasherelol
3DS FC
3995-7011-5351
When will people give up ridley hes too big and not a good choice

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
- I called Diddy being Top Tier status again prior to the game's release. Was always 100% convinced I'd pick him again as a main, and this little fact hasn't changed my mind about it... AT ALL! In fact, I love Diddy even more because of it.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I hate Region Exclusive content. :mad:
Why the Japanese get all the cool stuff? Does the rest of the world not like Super Smash Bros as much as Japan does? Are we all not Super Smash Bros fans? Everyone should be treated equally and gets equal amount of content. I'm infuriated, disgusted, and sadden that garbage likes this happens. Ashley's Theme Ver. 2 (JP) song should have been released to the rest of the world. :crying:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I don't think there's a lot of KI content in the 3DS version because of "Sakurai bias", but more like 1) Sakurai used assets from Uprising to add content and 2) Uprising is a portable game, so it makes sense that it's dominant in the 3DS version but not in the Wii U version.

Also, the "over representation" argument is annoying. Any new characters added to Sm4sh is a good thing regardless of what series they originally came from. What really matters is if they have anything unique to bring in regards to movesets (and if they meet Sakurai's requirements for being playable). Plus I feel like people claim Kid Icarus is "over represented" because Dark Pit (who is a clone character) got in over characters like Medusa and Hades.

I also don't get the complaint about Sm4sh having so many clones. They barely make up 20% of the game's roster. Hell, Melee had the most clones in the entire series when you consider how many characters were in the roster during the time.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think there's a lot of KI content in the 3DS version because of "Sakurai bias", but more like 1) Sakurai used assets from Uprising to add content and 2) Uprising is a portable game, so it makes sense that it's dominant in the 3DS version but not in the Wii U version.

Also, the "over representation" argument is annoying. Any new characters added to Sm4sh is a good thing regardless of what series they originally came from. What really matters is if they have anything unique to bring in regards to movesets (and if they meet Sakurai's requirements for being playable). Plus I feel like people claim Kid Icarus is "over represented" because Dark Pit (who is a clone character) got in over characters like Medusa and Hades.
What makes it worse is that Sakurai HAS stated that "we had the models readily available" is exactly why there is a lot of KI:U content in the game (Smash Run enemies, mainly). He's also stated that when designing the various power-up items in Uprising, like the X-Bomb, he was making them with Smash Bros in mind. Since Uprising, he has had the intent to use those items in Smash.

If Uprising didn't exist, chances are we would still have things like the X-Bomb and the Back Shield as items in Smash, only they would be Smash branded. But because they are Uprising branded, people lose their 'eads tho.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I also don't get the complaint about Sm4sh having so many clones. They barely make up 20% of the game's roster. Hell, Melee had the most clones in the entire series when you consider how many characters were in the roster during the time.
To be fair, he didn't have to use nearly that much. I found the Uprising content a bit too much well before Dark Pit was revealed. Smash Run could've been a bit more evened out regardless. A few less Trophies for them and more for other series would've been fine. Yes, he had a reason but there's still some bias in not bother with many other series. It's a tad overboard, but not as bad as it could be, honestly.

And I did want Medusa, but I'm shrugging. Palutena's fun to play~

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I kind of want Sakurai to go if only because of his bias towards some series. Sakurai acts like Wario Land never existed, that the Kirby franchise ended right after Kirby Superstar (Kirby Superstar has had a stage in all four Smash generations for Christ's sake), and DK has barely gone beyond the original DKC. Three great franchises that have a huge part of their histories outright ignored in Smash.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
-I do not like Lucina as a character or as a fighter.

-Donkey Kong doesn't get enough love in Smash.

-Fox and Falco's voices aren't as bad as they are made out to be.

Edit: Forget what I wrote previously on the first point, but my initial opinion stands. I probably turned a lot of people against me already so it doesn't matter, anyway.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
For all you wanting Sonic to get a second rep, why??? Last time I checked, Smash is a NINTENDO ALL-STARS fighting game, it shouldn't be diluted with third party character. 1 per company should be the golden rule. No more than that.

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
I'm GLAD Sakurai is leaving Smash Bros! Even though he did create the series, it seems like he held back its full potential to be the very best the series could be. Also, with him gone, we might have a chance to see another competitive Smash game!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For all you wanting Sonic to get a second rep, why??? Last time I checked, Smash is a NINTENDO ALL-STARS fighting game, it shouldn't be diluted with third party character. 1 per company should be the golden rule. No more than that.
Actually, it isn't. That's 64 and Melee only. Super Smash Bros. is now "a game that represents Nintendo's rich history". Not disagreeing with that "gold rule", but you're wrong about the All-Star bit. That was dropped in Brawl as soon as Snake and Sonic came in.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I've noticed a somewhat common opinion among some of the fanbase that I absolutely disagree with: The Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt are both great and shouldn't be seen as having competed for a spot on the roster; they should both be there. It's not like Pit was intended to replace the Ice Climbers back when Brawl came out. Duck Hunt is not an Ice Climbers replacement. Neither is Rosalina for that matter (I've seen people think she is). She plays nothing like the Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
:4link::4zss:
Still do the same predictable things.

:4sonic:
The most boring character to fight against.

:4duckhunt:
A better retro character than :popo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom