• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pucciogaeshi

Smash Rookie
I think Melee competitive is more fun to watch but SSB4 competitive is more fun to play. Both are cool and can easily coexist. Just look at M2K, he's playing it and he's good!

Ganondorf is not bottom this time around. He feels so much better, with good reads he can whip even faster characters.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I think Melee competitive is more fun to watch but SSB4 competitive is more fun to play. Both are cool and can easily coexist. Just look at M2K, he's playing it and he's good!

Ganondorf is not bottom this time around. He feels so much better, with good reads he can whip even faster characters.
Ganondorf is second to last in the Japanese tier list. Might as well be bottom.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I feel like games like Smash 4 need at least a year or two to even establish an accurate tier list.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Well, it depends on the people I'm around, I suppose.
My general impression of Smashboards is that the users who frequent it are generally hostile to this sentiment.
Then again, I only ever go in the Smash 4 forum, because it's hip and happening, and then sometimes the Project M forum, and there are a few skeptics there too.
You're probably right, though.

Melee and PM are more Competitive, as in the same 6 characters are sliding around the stage being knocked out at 15%. Fox is probably played 50% of of the matches and sometimes ditto matches

It would probably be best if smash 4 only had about 6 playable characters, this will indeed please the competitive players.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
  • I like :4darkpit:
  • :4greninja: was the best possible choice for a Pokemon newcomer, and was a better choice than :mewtwopm:
  • :4roy:>:roypm: (I don't hate :roypm: though)
  • :4wario: should've had 16 alternates, not :4littlemac:
  • :4ganondorf:needs to be replaced by Phantom Ganon in the next Smash Bros, using dual swords and energy tennis moves, mainly Wind Waker inspired, just because he is so poorly represented as Falcondorf.
  • Riki the legendary Heropon should've been playable instead of :4shulk:
  • Just because a person likes :rosalina:/:4robinf:/:4lucina:/:4zelda:/:4marth:/:4palutena:/:4zss:doesn't mean that they consider those characters waifus.
You get a like for slipping Marth in there, also since I'm planning on maining :4zss:

The Ice Climbers should've been a single character on the 3Ds and two characters on the WiiU
The 3Ds makes it hard to main characters like :4robinm:whose mechanic requires you to be able to see him/her well
People should realize that a character making it in isn't terrible if you dislike them, unless they are a non video game character
Sakurai is biased as heck, he cut two semi clones, but when he had time to add other characters he put in :4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:(I have nothing against Lucina or Dark Pit, I just hope Dark Pit gets his own moveset next time)
:4ganondorf::4link::4zelda: Need their Hyrule warriors designs
As much as I want DLC I'm worried that it would detract from the any DLC characters
Kanto has too many reps and Sinnoh, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova could've used another rep I'd gladly take Torterra, Sceptile, Sereperior, Salamence, or Heracross
:4pacman: Has a boring moveset
:4littlemac: Should have at least had some air game
Custom moves should have been a little more diverse, a few characters got good options like :4palutena:, but most are just weak, middle, strong.
All the original 12 should have at least one other character from their franchise

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Melee and PM are more Competitive, as in the same 6 characters are sliding around the stage being knocked out at 15%. Fox is probably played 50% of of the matches and sometimes ditto matches

It would probably be best if smash 4 only had about 6 playable characters, this will indeed please the competitive players.
I somehow get the feeling that you are being hostile. I thought we weren't supposed to criticize other unpopular opinions according to the OP?

That being said, as a frequent watcher of tournaments and lover of the deep mechanics and communities of each of the two games, I can say with absolute certainty that your post is full of hyperbole, and has little bearing on the truth of the matter.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I'd think it would've been neat if Pac-Man had his "World 3" voice.

If it meant being able to play as my favorite ******(s), I would be okay with a solo Ice Climber (with Nana alt of course) on the 3DS.

I don't really mind clones on the roster.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I hate the idea of having to unlock more options. It's an inane concept, it limits you without them, and when you do get them it doesn't feel rewarding; it just makes you question why you didn't have them in the first place.

Eastmangoboy

Smash Rookie
Unpopular opinion: Characters like duck hunt dog just seem so boring!

Unpopular opinion: Living a long time isn't bad, but having characters just running across the stage chasing an opponent that is flying back and forth is a bit boring.
Also, two stocks is boring.

[Un]popular opinion: I would like them to add something to the game to make it more exciting...

Last edited:

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
smash 3ds is useless and ugly, little mac and pacman shouldnt be in the game, for glory mode should be on battlefield (the true neutral) and not fd, the game needs more neutral stages, custom moves are dumb, mii fighters are dumb, equipment is dumb, Ice Climbers should have come back, duck hunt duo was a questionable inclusion.

rhysmorgan

Smash Rookie
NNID
rhysm94
smash 3ds is useless and ugly, little mac and pacman shouldnt be in the game, for glory mode should be on battlefield (the true neutral) and not fd, the game needs more neutral stages, custom moves are dumb, mii fighters are dumb, equipment is dumb, Ice Climbers should have come back, duck hunt duo was a questionable inclusion.
I don't think anybody would consider "the game needs more neutral stages" an unpopular opinion.
I'm honestly hoping for a Battlefield counterpart to Final Destination's Omega Mode.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
  • The controls on 3DS actually feel pretty nice after getting used to them.
  • Sonic deserves another stage + Windy Hill, even if he is 3rd party.
  • Dark Pit is a better clone choice than Lucina, as at least that's literally his origin in KI:U.
  • Lucina is a very boring character in FE: Awakening and Chrom deserved to be in over her, even as a Marth clone.
  • The stage hazards/bosses (i.e. Flying Man) are cool and keep you on your toes in battle.
  • It's not unfair at all if the Wii U version has more characters than 3DS, since you're paying more for the game and a Wii U game has more room for such things (and thus should not be limited by the 3DS game at all, even if "3DS was going to be the only one originally").
  • Personally I don't want to see Ridley playable in Smash.
  • Mii Fighters are actually pretty fun to use and worth their slot on the roster.
  • (not sure if this is unpopular per se but) The most recent game/characters in a series are not always the best choice, and I mean that more specifically toward Pokemon, which could do with showing Gen II and III more love. And Pichu back in Melee doesn't count. Ditto for Awakening; if we got a clone anyway as a 2nd Awakening rep, I'd have preferred a Marth clone based out of a pre-Path of Radiance FE for more variety.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
-They should have kept Dedede's Brawl voice. Now he sounds like his voice was put through a fan.
-If they went through the trouble of modeling Dark Pit's Dark Pit Staff, then why not have him use it in combat rather than keep it as his Final Smash? Not only would it make more sense in character, but it could have made him more of an original character.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
-If Mewtwo never shows up in SSB4, I'm not even going to bother touching it.
-Why is Dr Mario in this game?
-Why is Jigglypuff still in this game?
-Why is Dark Pit in this game?
-Why are Mii Fighters in this game?
-Why is Wii Fit Trainer in this game?
-While I find Ridley and K Rool to be cool guys, I don't care about them.

D

Deleted member

I hate the idea of having to unlock more options. It's an inane concept, it limits you without them, and when you do get them it doesn't feel rewarding; it just makes you question why you didn't have them in the first place.
I don't even know how you unlock them. I just got them when trying to unlock characters.

As for an unpopular opinion; I have no complaints about this game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't even know how you unlock them. I just got them when trying to unlock characters.

As for an unpopular opinion; I have no complaints about this game.
I believe you're suppose to get it through playing a certain amount of fights.

Last edited:

Eastmangoboy

Smash Rookie
Pokemon
  • Why always include new generation pokemon? Gen 1, 2, and 3 Pokemon would be good to see. Greninja is great, but I feel like there were more popular pokemon over time.
  • Dragonite would have been cool. Just sayin'.
  • If you're going to take out Mewtwo, at least put in Mew

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
*Probably old at this point, but I actually adore ZSS's rocket heels. They just look awesome and are fun to use.
*I really, really don't want any of the Pokémon Stadiums to return or a new one to be made. The stages were fine, but with all the diverse locations in the Pokémon games, it's really a bland route to take. I'd even rather have Spear Pillar back, or Pokéfloats- at least that one was different.
*I don't hate Mushroomy Kingdom. It's not my first choice for a returning Mario stage, but I don't hate it.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I feel like some of the opinions here feel popular more than anything, but oh well.

For my unpopular opinions:

1) ZSS's heels never bothered me either. I never got the controversy behind them. Same thing goes for her alternative outfits.

2) I wish there was still some sort of Adventure Mode, whether it be a SSE 2.0 or a spin on Melee's. As much content that both versions has/will have, it still feels lacking without an actual single player mode. Even though SSE's story wasn't much, it still had its awesome moments (dat giant battleship scene). If only Sakurai wasn't so iffy on leaks.

3) As much as I adore the 3DS version of the game, I feel like Sm4sh would have benefited even more if they focused on just the Wii U version. Not only would characters like Ice Climbers be able to function, but it would greatly help sales for the console too. Had it not been on 3DS, I'd save my money to purchase a Wii U along with the game. It's one of those games that I would gladly spend money one without regretting it.

4) Here's a good (popular?) unpopular opinion for you all! I prefer Brawl over Melee. This is mainly because it has a good roster, a nice selection of stages, SSE, and a kick ass theme. I understand why people prefer Melee over it when it comes to competitions though. But on the same token I think people go a little too far when it comes to criticizing Brawl's gameplay. It can be competitive, it's just different.

5) The Ice Climbers being removed never bothered me that much since I rarely ever played them in both Melee and Brawl. Same with Pokemon Trainer and Lucas (though his removal surprised me). I knew Snake would be out ever since the game was announced, but Wolf's removal got me by surprise like Lucas. He was my favorite out of the three Star Fox characters IMO (His howling taunt was one of the best taunts in the game).

6) I think the tier list for Sm4sh is going to take longer to develop than normal due to the different levels in both versions, control schemes, and the addition of custom movesets that each character has to offer. I could be wrong on that, but this game is definitely not like the others.

7) Speaking of Snake, I was actually surprised when Sonic was announced as a returning veteran. I thought he would only appear in Brawl and that was it. Oh how I was wrong lol

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, I stpped keeping track what is in the minority because smash is addicting, but I'm sure this one is in the minority:

I found the clock and battery level on the buttom screen being there all the time genius. The game is so addicting that it completely screws up you time perception so, not having to press home and wait 5 seconds.

I LOVE this detail :)

Shaymikyu

I feel like some of the opinions here feel popular more than anything, but oh well.

For my unpopular opinions:

2) I wish there was still some sort of Adventure Mode, whether it be a SSE 2.0 or a spin on Melee's. As much content that both versions has/will have, it still feels lacking without an actual single player mode. Even though SSE's story wasn't much, it still had its awesome moments (dat giant battleship scene). If only Sakurai wasn't so iffy on leaks.
Agreed! I actually loved Melee's Adventure mode so much, and SSE could easily have been made into something more this time, maybe with branching plot threads or even just having a bunch of cutscenes for a series of vignettes. Smash Run is okay, but it doesn't really work as an Adventure mode substitute. I'm hoping the Wii U version has something at least on the caliber on Melee's mode, but I'm sad we won't be seeing cool cutscenes anymore.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I pretty much agree with everyone here about the singleplayer. Lewis of BrainScratchComms made a great point during their SSE playthrough; an arcade mode alone doesn't do it for me in the way of a single player mode. I've been liking Smash 4, but I hate how the game is all but forcing me to jump straight into the online mode when I honestly don't want to. Classic mode isn't even as fun as past iterations since you're limited to 2 stock with items on and no toggle option. It really gets to me that the SSE style mode was cut just for the possibility of leaks, cuz I'm honestly not a big online type of guy. When I do play, it's locally more often than not.

Shaymikyu

This should've been the final roster:
I'm honestly kind of shocked they didn't "promote" Alph. At least he would've added on to a series with only one rep currently.

And I can never object to a roster with Lucas returning.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
All of the characters from brawl should have made it in this game. I had a feeling that Snake wouldn't have made it back, and this is reasonable considering that he is a third party.

Since they put Dr. Mario in, Mewtwo should have made it back in too.

Ridley makes a good boss character rather than a playable character. I don't see him being any more than a Bowser and Charizard style hybrid fighter. In addition to that, what type of personality does he have?

As an FYI, despite my claims, overall I really do love this game. I really do hope that they bring back Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Wolf.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I feel some of the users on this site could have made a better roster for this game then Sakurai.
I also believe some users would absolutely destroy the roster too though.

I would like Sakurai to include like a paragraph detailing the reasons and logic for a characters inclusion, much like some of users do on this site when they make a fantasy roster, which more often then not, makes logical and reasonable sense.

Some people put aside their own personal bias and preferences very well when crafting "fantasy rosters" I don't think Sakurai does this very well when creating the actual roster.

Also all 8 Koopalings? (Don't get me wrong, thanks for the koopalings) but why? I need rhyme and reason.

Why no shiny pokemon? But why 8 Koopas?

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
I feel some of the users on this site could have made a better roster for this game then Sakurai.
I also believe some users would absolutely destroy the roster too though.

I would like Sakurai to include like a paragraph detailing the reasons and logic for a characters inclusion, much like some of users do on this site when they make a fantasy roster, which more often then not, makes logical and reasonable sense.

Some people put aside their own personal bias and preferences very well when crafting "fantasy rosters" I don't think Sakurai does this very well when creating the actual roster.

Also all 8 Koopalings? (Don't get me wrong, thanks for the koopalings) but why? I need rhyme and reason.

Why no shiny pokemon? But why 8 Koopas?
Greninja has a shiny pallet, charizard has his gen 2 shiny, pretty sure pika's is there too.

the8thark

Smash Lord
You think he would tell us the truth? It's debatable if what he said in Famitsu on the subject is the honest truth or just lip service to keep the fans quiet.

D

Deleted member

Some of my UNpopular opinions:

- I actually would like Ivysaur and Squirtle to return. They were unique, and cute.
- I think Ice Climbers should be Ice Climber (just one)--problem solved
- I don't really care about Lucas. His game never even came out of Japan, right? Just make him a skin of Ness.
- I'm actually pretty okay with Dr. Mario. Turns out, in this game he's now a semi-clone and I like the idea of veterans returning.
- I never cared about Snake, good riddance. He never fit into Smash Bros.
- I would like Tails in Smash, however.
- I never liked Sheik. I thought she was overused in Melee and stole the spotlight from Zelda, who I did like to play as.
- While playable Ridley would be cool, I can understand if he never will be because...he's too BIG.
- I would rather have Dark Samus playable
- I don't think Jigglypuff or any of the original 12 should ever be cut from Smash.
- I like Mario's F.L.U.D.D. only because it references Mario Sunshine, which I think is a fun game.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Some of my UNpopular opinions:

- I actually would like Ivysaur and Squirtle to return. They were unique, and cute.
- I think Ice Climbers should be Ice Climber (just one)--problem solved
- I don't really care about Lucas. His game never even came out of Japan, right? Just make him a skin of Ness.
- I'm actually pretty okay with Dr. Mario. Turns out, in this game he's now a semi-clone and I like the idea of veterans returning.
- I never cared about Snake, good riddance. He never fit into Smash Bros.
- I would like Tails in Smash, however.
- I never liked Sheik. I thought she was overused in Melee and stole the spotlight from Zelda, who I did like to play as.
- While playable Ridley would be cool, I can understand if he never will be because...he's too BIG.
- I would rather have Dark Samus playable
- I don't think Jigglypuff or any of the original 12 should ever be cut from Smash.
- I like Mario's F.L.U.D.D. only because it references Mario Sunshine, which I think is a fun game.
My opinions on your opinions.

- Squirtle and Ivysaur should come back they were cute, fun and unique.
- Ice Climbers should have been one character on 3DS and 2 characters on WiiU.
- I feel the same about Lucas. Just make it a skin and be done with it.
- Doc Mario is a clone I hate. Mario has enough characters in game and we don't need another pointless close in the already huge Mario line up for the game.
- Snake was a nice addition on Brawl. He would have been nice in Smash 4. But I'm not cut that he is cut either.
- Tails can not be in smash. Dixie Kong is the same thing, a character that can hover in the air, is way more cool and is from an established Nintendo franchise. Dixie would and should come in the game long before Tails ever should.
- Sheik was just better than Zelda. That's why I and many other used Sheik a lot more.
- Ridley should never be a playable character in any Smash game. Too big is just one of many reasons.
- Dark Samus is no different to Dark Pit. A pointless clone.
- Jigglypuff should have been cut from Melee and never have returned.
- FLUDD is interesting for Smash but it's way way to late to make any difference. It should have been in Brawl with the Delfino Plaza stage. Now Mario should be able to shoot stars from Galaxy. Sakurai needs to have moved on from Sunshine, but obviously he could not do that.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but Rosalina & Luma are OP.
- Ultra range
- Edge-guarding
- Super combos, including an infinite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeT1rN4MLX0
- Really powerful (specially Luma)
- All throws are useful
- Attacks are pretty fast
-The dodge animation makes Rosalina invisible
- Luma blocks projectiles
- When Luma dies, it reappears in like 7 seconds
- Excellent recovery

-Only weaknesses: Weight and Size, but that doesn't matter because you can't hit Rosalina XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My opinions on your opinions.

- Squirtle and Ivysaur should come back they were cute, fun and unique.
- Ice Climbers should have been one character on 3DS and 2 characters on WiiU.
- I feel the same about Lucas. Just make it a skin and be done with it.
- Doc Mario is a clone I hate. Mario has enough characters in game and we don't need another pointless close in the already huge Mario line up for the game.
- Snake was a nice addition on Brawl. He would have been nice in Smash 4. But I'm not cut that he is cut either.
- Tails can not be in smash. Dixie Kong is the same thing, a character that can hover in the air, is way more cool and is from an established Nintendo franchise. Dixie would and should come in the game long before Tails ever should.
- Sheik was just better than Zelda. That's why I and many other used Sheik a lot more.
- Ridley should never be a playable character in any Smash game. Too big is just one of many reasons.
- Dark Samus is no different to Dark Pit. A pointless clone.
- Jigglypuff should have been cut from Melee and never have returned.
- FLUDD is interesting for Smash but it's way way to late to make any difference. It should have been in Brawl with the Delfino Plaza stage. Now Mario should be able to shoot stars from Galaxy. Sakurai needs to have moved on from Sunshine, but obviously he could not do that.
My opinions on your opnions on my opinions:

- Yay! You agree about Squirtle and Ivysaur!
- I don't think Sakurai would make a character play differently between versions. Team Ice Climber.
- Yay! We agree on Lucas.
- Dr. Mario doesn't bother me too much, since he does represent a certain series of games. And I feel that the "Mario line-up" deserves to have a lot of representation because there are simply a lot of Mario games and characters!
- Goodbye, Snake.
- I agree that I would prefer Dixie Kong to be in Smash over Tails probably, but it's just my opinion that I would be fine with Tails too. He's cool. IMO.
- I think Zelda was harder to master so most people didn't try. Sheik was obviously faster, but Zelda has some useful special moves and some great A attacks, like the fabled Lightning Kick. But my point still stands that Sheik stole the spotlight.
- At this point I'm kinda ambivalent about Ridley.
- I think Dark Samus would be at least a semi-clone if done right, if not altogether unique. Please tell me you've played the Prime games.
- Jigglypuff is actually really good in Smash, and she's cute. Win-win.
- I think FLUDD should just be better. As it is, it seems kinda worthless, especially since you have to charge it. Besides, Rosalina probably took over Galaxy move representation.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • :4megaman: never should have made it. I didn't want him in the first place, and now that he's here, all he brings to the table are, 1: the most efficient end-of-timer staller character we've ever had, and 2: one of the worst if not THE worst stage designs in the series.

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
- Capcom should have helped with balancing instead of Namco. (I don't know how unpopular this one is)
- I think as long as Sakurai is doing Smash Bros, we'll never have a balanced game.
- Squirtle should have returned.
- Stage bosses were an awful idea. All they do is get in the way and it's not even fun.
- Smash 3DS should have never been made because it hindered the Wii U version despite what Sakurai says.
- The clones are being entirely blown out of proportion. Had Melee come out this year, everyone would have been complaining about the number of clones in there. We only have 3 new ones this time, it isn't that big of a deal.
- Hawlucha (based WWE bird) should have been a newcomer instead of Greninja.
- Duck Hunt Dog feels kinda underwhelming. I don't know how to explain it, but he just does. Still happy he's in though.
- I don't mind the Ice Climbers being cut.
- Although I like Bowser Jr/Koopalings, I feel like it was a waste of time. The Koopa Clown Car is what's playable, not Bowser Jr. Who really asked for it? I only seen people say, "Bowser should have the clown car as his FS" and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom