• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
so i take back EVERYTHING said about dr. mario. did some play sessions with him and i was whipping pure ass...... forgot how good he is.

also i miss sse. i would love to see how this new cast interact together

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I have a feeling once the Wii U version comes out the 3DS will be pushed aside as if it never existed. Because the 3DS is apparently the "awkward cousin that no one wants to see or hear" of Smash Bros. Even though all it's really ever done is be there.

Last edited:
A lot of the new palette swaps are ugly, or are too hard to distinguish in gameplay. Lucina's are probably the ugliest with those wacky and clashing colors, and there are three Lucario swaps that you wouldn't be able to tell apart on Final Destination. Those are just examples. The devs should have shot for "about four good color schemes" rather than trying to force eight onto everyone; they also should have prioritized pleasing aesthetics and accessibility over making references.

Last edited:

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
The roster is great. I know, hating on a 49-character roster is the cool thing to do (how dare Sakurai not include my personal favorite character?) Hey, there are things I'd change if it were up to me, but the good far exceeds the bad.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
PSA: Stop saying "I'm really feeling it" jokes. Its the most annoying thing ever next to Ridley jokes.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Mewtwo is overated.
I don't like Pokemon Trainers in Smash Bros.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I like how easy all the characters are to unlock.
Ditto. I'm a busy college student and I'd prefer to have the characters to work with ASAP.

*I think some of the starters should have been unlockable or revealed later. They played the most hyped ones too early.
*I don't mind Dark Pit, or clones in general. I don't "like" Dark Pit, but I'm indifferent to him. I also like how clones let you try a moveset you might normally not. I've actually preferred some clones to the real deal, like Lucas and Falco.
*I wouldn't mind if Mewtwo, Ridley, or K. Rool were ever included in Smash, but I really am indifferent to it.
*I'm okay with there being 4 FE characters. Lucina was a last minute bonus, anyway.
*As happy as I am that my most wanted Mother stage, Magicant, has come to be, I'm really salty over how shafted Mother 3 was this time. That was actually my biggest fear when the hype for Smash 4 began.
*I'm happy for the 3DS version. I prefer handheld games and I can take it with me more easily to places. In fact, I've been wanting a portable Smash since Melee when my brother and I would hook up the GameCube in the back of our old van. I miss IC a lot, but I doubt the roster would have been much bigger if there was no 3DS version. Besides, I'm betting if there is another Smash a few years down the road, they'll return easily since all that held them back was technical limitations.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS is a really dumb title. Seriously, why not call it something in line with the last two like 'Super Smash Bros. Combat'.
  • I like Miis.
  • I don't miss Roy or Snake. Roy shouldn't have even been in Melee due to the fact HE HADN'T DEBUTED YET and Snake is really weird seeing along the likes of Kirby or Sonic.
  • I don't count Professor Layton as Third-Party. To me he's like Wonder Red; second-party.
  • I think Machamp is very likely DLC due to Pokken.
  • I wouldn't have minded Falco departing in Wolf's place.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The 3dS version of Smash should've never been made if there were going to be so many issues with it.
Not to mention it was a bad idea making a cheaper, portable version of Smash to basically compete with their system seller on a console they're trying so hard to save.

I have a feeling once the Wii U version comes out, Smashboards will become complete and utter chaos.
That is arguable not an unpopular opinion.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS is a really dumb title. Seriously, why not call it something in line with the last two like 'Super Smash Bros. Combat'.
  • I like Miis.
  • I don't miss Roy or Snake. Roy shouldn't have even been in Melee due to the fact HE HADN'T DEBUTED YET and Snake is really weird seeing along the likes of Kirby or Sonic.
  • I don't count Professor Layton as Third-Party. To me he's like Wonder Red; second-party.
  • I think Machamp is very likely DLC due to Pokken.
  • I wouldn't have minded Falco departing in Wolf's place.
Wonder Red is a first-party character because Wonderful 101's fully owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Forgot about the title. I agree that it's dumb, plus just confusing. I mean, if I go to look up the game, if I don't add the system name, it may bring up the original or the general series. I wish they'd just stuck with another fighting synonym. Even if it was going to be a silly one, it'd be less confusing.

JiNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydro_jin
I dont like Lucina as a character, (not talking about being a clone, just her character in general from the Awakening game) therefore I do not like her inclusion in Smash.

Duck Hunt and bowser jr. don't look interesting to me. Nor shocking.

I believe Marth is the prettiest princess in the game. Forget peach, rosalina, and zelda.

Shaymikyu

My biggest grief over stages isn't Mushroomy Kingdom or the Yellow Devil or anything, but that they didn't bring back my favorite stage, Fountain of Dreams, AGAIN. I'd say "come on, Wii U," but Sakurai mentioned in a recent interview/column I can't find that it's hard porting over Melee data.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
My biggest grief over stages isn't Mushroomy Kingdom or the Yellow Devil or anything, but that they didn't bring back my favorite stage, Fountain of Dreams, AGAIN. I'd say "come on, Wii U," but Sakurai mentioned in a recent interview/column I can't find that it's hard porting over Melee data.
I wanted that stage so bad, too. It's my favorite tourney-legal stage. BF's look is boring now and yeah I know there are the Omega stages now but still lol

Shaymikyu

I liked BF at first, but playing it over and over in the demo kind of soured me to it.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I liked BF at first, but playing it over and over in the demo kind of soured me to it.
I just miss the darker purple 64/Melee look with all the trippy backgrounds. It looks too bright and cheery now IMO.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
are the following opinions unpopular yet?

Pit is a dumb character
Dark Pit is a stupid ****ing recolor
Sonic is lame and needs to get run over by a harvester

if not, then ****, i'm still in the wrong thread

IblisTriggersPuppet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Oshawottfan33
3DS FC
4356-0745-3351
are the following opinions unpopular yet?

Pit is a dumb character
Dark Pit is a stupid ****ing recolor
Sonic is lame and needs to get run over by a harvester

if not, then ****, i'm still in the wrong thread

Honestly the dark pit part isn't unpopular since most people hate dark pit from what i've seen

but I respect your opinion and I agree sonic can be pretty lame why sakurai did you make sonic lame :4sonic:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The game was developed by Platinum, wasn't it? If so, then Wonder Red is a third party character.
F-Zero GX was developed by SEGA, the DS Starfox was developed by Namco, and Wonderful 101 was developed by Platinum games, but Wonderful 101's still fully-owned by Nintendo as an IP.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't like separate characters appearing as alternate costumes, only in certain circumstances I feel it's applicable.
Only when that characters move set will flawlessly fit that new character. For example Olimar and Alph fits perfectly.
However Koopalings becoming Shadow Mario isn't exactly perfect... The same would apply to Metal Sonic becoming Super Sonic, Blood Falcon driving the Blue Falcon, Daisy summoning Peaches etc.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I know this opinion isn't exactly Smash 4, but since it is very much in-grained in the Smash community I think it works.
I'm not too overly depressed about Brawl in the Family ending. Sure, granted, it was a decent webcomic I get that. But I also think as sad as it is, in my opinion it's better for something to end a memorable comic than one that continues but with a lack in quality (Spongebob and the Simpsons are good examples of great shows that just went on too long).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The game was developed by Platinum, wasn't it? If so, then Wonder Red is a third party character.
They developed it but Nintendo owns the IP.

It's like when Rare developed DK games but Nintendo still owned them.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I like how easy all the characters are to unlock.

thats interesting to see someone who thinks this way. I always like characters to be a challenge to unlock. It provides extra incentive and fun when playing classic mode aswell as other solo modes. I would love for it to be tough to get a new fighter.

example : to unlock toon link you must use every legend of zelda character and beat classic mode on hardest difficulty. stuff like that

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
PSA: Stop saying "I'm really feeling it" jokes. Its the most annoying thing ever next to Ridley jokes.

hey man, we were excited when Avatar the last airbender was announced as a character, he uses his manado ...manato..and stuff. crap...im really blowing it.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Mewtwo is actually my most hated character in the series. I really don't get why people like him.
But hey it's just an opinion, a SMASH OPINION!
Thanks for reading :D

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I've got one.

Smash 4 is an inferior competitive game compared to Melee and Project M. Therefore, Melee and Project M have pride of place. Should there ever come a mutually exclusive decision between them and Smash 4.
No comment about 64. I just love that game in general.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I've got one.

Smash 4 is an inferior competitive game compared to Melee and Project M. Therefore, Melee and Project M have pride of place. Should there ever come a mutually exclusive decision between them and Smash 4.
No comment about 64. I just love that game in general.
How the Fracktail is this an unpopular opinion.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I dislike Greninja and Lucina being playable. Largely because I see them as overrated. I've played both Pokémon X and Fire Emblem: Awakening, and I do think that both Greninja and Lucina are pretty cool in their respective games, but beyond that I just don't really care for them, and I usually get kind of annoyed with the massive hype behind each of them.

In fact, I'm more okay with Dr. Mario and Dark Pit making it in as fighters. I don't know how or why they did, but I'm fine with them. I mean... I'm iffy on Dr. Mario since he's the same character as Mario, but I don't mind it much. Dark Pit I actually like as a character more than Palutena, so, you know, that's just how I look at it.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
How the Fracktail is this an unpopular opinion.
Well, it depends on the people I'm around, I suppose.
My general impression of Smashboards is that the users who frequent it are generally hostile to this sentiment.
Then again, I only ever go in the Smash 4 forum, because it's hip and happening, and then sometimes the Project M forum, and there are a few skeptics there too.
You're probably right, though.

D

Deleted member 269706

Chrom would've been a better fit than Lucina.
MegaMan and Pac-Man are boring to play as.
Greninja shouldn't have made the cut.
Melee is the most overrated Smash game.

RoflMaster

Smash Rookie
Brawl was a lot better then Melee for competitive play and honestly I like using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck 5x more then the Gamecube Controller.

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
Brawl was a lot better then Melee for competitive play and honestly I like using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck 5x more then the Gamecube Controller.
That first bit I'm pretty sure is proven to be the opposite by facts, and this is a Smash4 Opionions thread not Brawl opinions.

Vectoring needs to be patched out ASAP. Turns the game right back into brawl. Holding up is too good
Sakurai got lazy with this game
Sakurai needs to kill himself with work like he did for melee to make a more excellent game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom