• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
--If you argue incessantly that "X character is a shoo-in/has no chance" based on your own personal feelings (not actual substantiated evidence) and that character turns out to be in or out, that doesn't make you right, it makes you lucky. People should recognize this and not be smug b******s when the game launches in a few weeks.
All I was saying was that no (newcomer) is guaranteed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
All I was saying was that no (newcomer) is guaranteed.
That wasn't in response to you, sorry if you interpreted it that way (I was 'inspired' by the rabid Dark Pit supporters in Roster Discussion, actually).

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I don't understand the hate about swimming. If anything, it'll help you in a match. The only downside I see about swimming is the time it takes to get out of.

Swimming should stay.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
- The F-Zero anime is non canon to the games and needs to be treated as such when drawing inspiration from Smash Bros.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
It was in Melee I believe.
Pretty sure you're mistaken; the closest thing to that prior to the Smash 4 was Project M revising most of the hazard-heavy stages to be tournament legal.

Still a good idea, but it's not like they took it from us for no reason, we never had it in the first place.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
-Entitled spoiled brats shouldn't kill any of your expectations and wants for Sm4sh. I could careless what they say or think, and there is always the solution: Ignore them
-And to be honest, Smash Bros fans are entitled(even me)

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
The horrible spam fest that is the Shulk thread is actually making me dislike Shulk and hope he's not in.

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
I absolutely do not want King K Rool in this game, mostly do to his fans.

I think all the Smash games and Project M are good fun. Sakurai has always been good at what he does.

I think Fire Emblem's new reps are well deserved after the megahit that was Fire Emblem Awakening

I think Zelda is overdue for a new rep.

Rhythm Haven deserves a character far more than any other franchise at this point.

Last edited:

Elaith

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonic12040
I believe Lanky Kong should be the next representative of the Donkey Kong franchise in Smash.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't really want to see Snake return. I'm content with just Sonic and Pac-Man. Megaman is okay, but I'm not a fan of his series so he doesn't hype me at all.

Mario Party deserves some representation. Add a stage or some trophies or some music. It's a spin-off that has more than 10 games, which isn't something to scoff at considering Mario Party has more games than many of the represented series that have playable characters.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Okay, here we go *clears throat*

- Ridley is the boss of the pyrosphere stage. I've been back and forth on Ridley but at the end the day I think he's just a stage hazard. Everything Metroid related in this game is from Other M, so if Ridley was playable it would be his Other M design. But we know Other M Ridley is the boss of the pyrosphere stage, who else could it be? It's a stage from Other M, the pyrosphere is where you fight Ridley, there's a giant hole in the wall made by Ridley in Other M that Sakurai says is gigantic, who else could it be. And switching him out with say Meta Ridley wouldn't make sense because Meta Ridley wasn't in Other M so don't bring up Alfonzo. People also mention the teasing and the trolling. Sakurai has only hinted at Ridley twice, both times hinting him as a boss. Every other example of Sakurai "hinting" feels like grasping at straws. Just because he says something is big doesn't mean it's referencing Ridley. The reason he hasn't revealed Ridley yet is because they're probably doing something big with bosse o the Wii U version. Maybe I'll be wrong, in which case I'll eat serious crow, but until then Ridley is a boss.
- King K Rool will not be playable. I can kind of see Ridley being playable (like a 1% chance). K Rool however has no chance. Kremlings are in Smash Run because they're DK enemies. The Underworld army is in Smash Run, yet no one thinks Medusa is playable.
- People are getting too over zealous with their rosters. The same thing happened before Brawl came out and it's happening again. People who think we're getting a 55 character roster are going to be disappointed. 48 at the least, 51 at the most.
- I still believe the Gematsu leak is real. Plenty of real leaks have gotten some info wrong, but more specific hard to guess stuff right. 90% right = 100% wrong makes no sense.

Now if you excuse me, I got to watch the world burn.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I want Ridley playable, but not because I'm particularly attached to him (but I do think he's cool). I just want to see this stupid "Ridley's too big / no he isn''t" thing finally come to an end, and for this stupid arguing about his chances here on Smashboards be finally put to rest, forever.

The same can be said about the arguing for King K. Rool's chances.

Thegamerguy131

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thegamerguy131
3DS FC
0946-2559-8115
I can't understand why people don't want specific characters to be in the game just because of a personal dislike. You do know that there's probably someone out there dying to play as the character that you just called a "useless addition", right?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I sadly still find the casual players of the series to be very, how you say, 'antagonistic' of the competitive smash community. The Wii U subreddit, for example, insults and/or downvotes those who are excited for the gamecube controller adapter, admit to playing with items off, and so forth. The vibe is still very much present, and I expect it will become more apparent upon release when people talk about the game in their chosen 'for fun' or 'for glory' context. For example, tier lists will still get a lot of hate, taking the game seriously will be frowned on, and so forth. It's indicative that Smash is still the only game series with the issue of 'casual elitism'.

I wish it wasn't so, and I hope I'm wrong in my observations.

edit: Both communities should be able to live in harmony, but I find myself being onslaught for mentioning that I'm a commentator or attend tournaments, or play with items off, don't enjoy stage hazards, or play 1v1s or 2v2s exclusively. I don't find the competitive players to be the ones making fun of the 'for fun' way of playing, it's always the other way around. I hope this doesn't persist.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I sadly still find the casual players of the series to be very, how you say, 'antagonistic' of the competitive smash community. The Wii U subreddit, for example, insults and/or downvotes those who are excited for the gamecube controller adapter, admit to playing with items off, and so forth. The vibe is still very much present, and I expect it will become more apparent upon release when people talk about the game in their chosen 'for fun' or 'for glory' context. For example, tier lists will still get a lot of hate, taking the game seriously will be frowned on, and so forth. It's indicative that Smash is still the only game series with the issue of 'casual elitism'.

destroy the casual scum

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
OK. Here's mine:

1.) I don't want Shulk to be playable. Not just I don't care - I don't want him. Smash doesn't need any more anime-styled humans.

2.) I don't particularly care if Ridley is playable or not.

3.) ZSS should NOT be wearing heels. Come on. Show a galactic bounty hunter a bit of respect for her profession.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
mine would have to be my antipathy towards people saying sakurai keeps teasing them when he doesn't.

I want both ridley and mewtwo. but greninja wasn't shaped like mewtwo to tease you, and the only ridley teases there have been both implied he was a stage hazard. so when people say omg sakurai can't make ridley a stage hazard after ALL THE TEASING that'd be cruel, i wanna smack em. he hasn't done that at all

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924

edit: Both communities should be able to live in harmony, but I find myself being onslaught for mentioning that I'm a commentator or attend tournaments, or play with items off, don't enjoy stage hazards, or play 1v1s or 2v2s exclusively. I don't find the competitive players to be the ones making fun of the 'for fun' way of playing, it's always the other way around. I hope this doesn't persist.
Whichever "side" is dominant in any given community will almost always be antagonistic to the opposing "side". That seems to be how it goes. There will always be some jerk in the majority that wants to attack those in the minority.

The only reason a casual can go here and not be crapped on is because, aside from one or two loudmouths, most people here have a modicum of respect for other people. The community here just has a higher than average standard of behavior, and that's all there is to it. That's the only reason the "minority" actually feels somewhat welcome. Many of us are actively choosing to take the high road, and to be the better people. Despite that, there are still exceptions to the rule who want to **** on whoever they feel like "because they can".

If I went to some other, less respectful, competitive environment you can bet that I'll be ******* at endlessly for being a "noob"... even in cases where my play is like 10x better than theirs. Heck, especially in that case, since they wont like the fact that they're getting owned by a "****ing casual". Truth is there are some people who will insult you no matter what. The aim isn't to "correct" your behavior or discourage certain mindsets, it's literally just to take out their rage and frustrations at a random person on the internet where they wont have to face the consequences.

You go here and you don't get any crap because you fit in. Even more than that, you're actually adding something by being a commentator. However, you go to a less competitive environment and you represent a threat to their way of thinking. They feel threatened, because no matter how much they want to pretend that they're just playing to have fun and that winning doesn't matter, getting 4 stocked 10 games in a row actually does matter quite a bit. Let's face it, you have to have some kind of ego to begin with if you feel some need to force your way of thinking on everyone else, and egos are usually the result of latent insecurities.

Conda

Whichever "side" is dominant in any given community will almost always be antagonistic to the opposing "side". That seems to be how it goes. There will always be some jerk in the majority that wants to attack those in the minority.

The only reason a casual can go here and not be crapped on is because, aside from one or two loudmouths, most people here have a modicum of respect for other people. The community here just has a higher than average standard of behavior, and that's all there is to it. That's the only reason the "minority" actually feels somewhat welcome. Many of us are actively choosing to take the high road, and to be the better people. Despite that, there are still exceptions to the rule who want to **** on whoever they feel like "because they can".

If I went to some other, less respectful, competitive environment you can bet that I'll be *****ed at endlessly for being a "noob"... even in cases where my play is like 10x better than theirs. Heck, especially in that case, since they wont like the fact that they're getting owned by a "****ing casual". Truth is there are some people who will insult you no matter what. The aim isn't to "correct" your behavior or discourage certain mindsets, it's literally just to take out their rage and frustrations at a random person on the internet where they wont have to face the consequences.

You go here and you don't get any crap because you fit in. Even more than that, you're actually adding something by being a commentator. However, you go to a less competitive environment and you represent a threat to their way of thinking. They feel threatened, because no matter how much they want to pretend that they're just playing to have fun and that winning doesn't matter, getting 4 stocked 10 games in a row actually does matter quite a bit. Let's face it, you have to have some kind of ego to begin with if you feel some need to force your way of thinking on everyone else, and egos are usually the result of latent insecurities.
Very good post. My 'like' to you, sir.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I cannot understand the hate for characters because bad-design in previous game or because the fan-base.
And I'm saying about important ones.

I really HATE Ice Climbers metagame at Brawl or Melee, but they deserve to be in.

I don't like the idea of Ridley to be playable, but if it happens, okay.

Metaknight was the best veteran reveal so far (from the ones without videos) and he DON'T deserve to be a trash character just because the development team don't knew how to balance him in Brawl.

Mario has enough playable characters , while DK always was under-representaded ,

There's no "K.Rool or Dixie thing". With 3 star fox chars in Brawl, 4 chars from DK in SSB4 is completely okay.

I'm starting to think we can have 50 characters, something I never before see as a possible scenario.

We deserve a new SSB4-site with urgency.

Conda

I cannot understand the hate for characters because bad-design in previous game or because the fan-base.
And I'm saying about important ones.

I really HATE Ice Climbers metagame at Brawl or Melee, but they deserve to be in.

I don't like the idea of Ridley to be playable, but if it happens, okay.

Metaknight was the best veteran reveal so far (from the ones without videos) and he DON'T deserve to be a trash character just because the development team don't knew how to balance him in Brawl.

Mario has enough playable characters , while DK always was under-representaded ,

There's no "K.Rool or Dixie thing". With 3 star fox chars in Brawl, 4 chars from DK in SSB4 is completely okay.

I'm starting to think we can have 50 characters, something I never before see as a possible scenario.

We deserve a new SSB4-site with urgency.
What do you mean by a new SSB4 site?

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
What do you mean by a new SSB4 site?
When the game comes out, or just before it, the site needs some serious changes.
The design wouldn't work with all the characters, the 3DS/WiiU Box art is too big in the top ...

Not a new site, a new design to be precise.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
- Just because Kid Icarus, Mother and Fire Emblem have more than 2 characters, that doens't mean F-zero also needs a newcomer, simply beacuse The Captain represents the franchise well enough. It also doesn't help, that all the characters in this series do is racing.

Renji64

Smash Lord
The large of amount of terrible casual elitist hold the series back from being great.
No Impressive combos have been seen so far 1-2 mostly.
This game looks like brawl 2.0 Has a toon of stuff carried over from brawl but it is magically different.
People who say they will play something just because it is smash opinions are worthless to me.
Hard to find reasons to be hype other than the great character roster the gameplay looks slow still.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
The large of amount of terrible casual elitist hold the series back from being great.
Nah. Those people are the ones that bring the most sales. Besides, almost all of the gameplay we've seen has been from the E3 Demo, which is factually a very old build. Things have been held so tightly under wraps that it's hard to make judgements either way.

Cheer up, friend.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Nah. Those people are the ones that bring the most sales. Besides, almost all of the gameplay we've seen has been from the E3 Demo, which is factually a very old build. Things have been held so tightly under wraps that it's hard to make judgements either way.

Cheer up, friend.
Sales is all great and all they won't be playing the game down the line they will move on to the next thing. The gameplay continues to get dumbed down each new installment and more limited.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Sales is all great and all they won't be playing the game down the line they will move on to the next thing. The gameplay continues to get dumbed down each new installment and more limited.
How can you say that when you:

1) Haven't played the game yet.
2) Don't know all the characters.
3) Don't know all the stages.

The only instance we have of the series being simplified is from Melee to Brawl. One instance does not a pattern make. Besides, a game does not need to be a carbon copy of Melee physics in order for a metagame to grow around it. New techniques will appear.

Renji64

Smash Lord
How can you say that when you:

1) Haven't played the game yet.
2) Don't know all the characters.
3) Don't know all the stages.

The only instance we have of the series being simplified is from Melee to Brawl. One instance does not a pattern make. Besides, a game does not need to be a carbon copy of Melee physics in order for a metagame to grow around it. New techniques will appear.
This game is extention of brawl and from sakurai's interviews it is pretty clear the focus is mostly on the new smash brothers player.
Why would i care about the roster? It is great so far I care about the gameplay more than characters there are more than enough new playstyles in this game.
Stages aren't a big deal to me.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Here's an unpopular opinion guys... how about instead of antagonizing communities for no stated reason for the mere purpose of getting quick likes, you actually make a real post=???

This is why Smash World Forums needs to drop the whole "like" system. The "like" system promotes these kind of one-liners that are made to insult people, and thus, some users have become nothing but that.
-And to be honest, Smash Bros fans are entitled(even me)
There's nothing wrong with entitlement... to an extent.

If you think Smash 4 sucks and you feel entitled to your money back, get your money back.

If you want this or that thing in or out of the game, then you are entitled to buy or not but Smash 4 because of it.

That's your right in a capitalist economy, and anyone who complains about you feeling that way (unless you are attacking people who feel another way) needs to get over themselves and learn to not insult people for feeling this way.

Now if you're wanting the Smash development team to do something just to upset people, then you have issues, and then IMO you lose the right to be respected and not face negative retaliation for your stated opinions.

===

Also, here's an unpopular opinion on this site.

Non-gameplay reasons are worthless. If your reasons for wanting something in smash (whether physics, stages, or characters) don't involve gameplay reasons or things that could add to the gameplay, they don't contribute anything.

For example "I want this character because this franchise needs representation." First off, representation isn't a thing with a playable character. We play as characters, not representatives. If you want to play as the Mario Mushroom icon then support that instead of *insert generic Mario character instead*.

If you want to play as say Dixie, don't just use "she's my favorite" as a reason as to why others should want her playable: explain what she could do in a gameplay scenario that would make people understand why you want her as a playable character, and maybe why they should as well.

Show (don't tell) me why Dixie should be playable with an actual reason instead of stating your personal preference. Use specific gameplay reasoning for those, such as what her playstyle would be like, what her skillset would be, and what her movesets' theme would be. That's the most mature and simply best way to grow to respect for your opinion from others who are worthy of respect.

Last edited:

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
Custom stages - Fun to plan, interesting to play on, need to return. I always made multiple versions of the same stages I loved:
Smash save files should remain nontransferable. The time and effort required to unlock characters, stages, and music is pointless otherwise.

The SSE unlocked characters in useful way. It was the mother of Boss Battles. Collecting enemies and bosses with trophy stands spiced up the menial task of trophy collecting. Doesn't matter what anyone says, the SSE was awesome! I hope the new modes of sm4sh stew the same.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
This game is extention of brawl and from sakurai's interviews it is pretty clear the focus is mostly on the new smash brothers player.
Why would i care about the roster? It is great so far I care about the gameplay more than characters there are more than enough new playstyles in this game.
Stages aren't a big deal to me.
It's not "pretty clear the focus is mostly on the new smash brothers player". They're thinking about them, for sure. That's how you grow your game - you diversify and increase your market saturation. He's also thinking about the veteran players - players like you and me:

Polygon said:
"To paint in broad strokes, Melee is for the maniac, the veteran player, while Brawl is for a newer, more casual gamer, as far as the speed goes," Sakurai explained. "Melee, of course, is super fast, and the people who are used to that game love that gameplay. But it may be a barrier for folks who found it a little imposing. Brawl was designed to be more approachable and accessible by folks who might [used to be playing] Wii Fit or Wii Play."

"Now, with the new Smash Bros., we're thinking the positioning will be really right in the middle."

Sakurai explained that Wii owners who started playing Smash Bros. with Brawl have become more experienced gamers, and will find the speed boost in the sequel easier to enjoy. He also confirmed that the Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros. games won't have tripping(or prat falls), and that "at this point," the games will allow for multiple air dodges.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/4429220/super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-nintendo-3ds-removes-tripping

And I am of the opinion that the amount and variety of characters define gameplay moreso than whether Fox falls in .5 seconds or .3 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom