• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessokman

Smash Lord
-This game is shaping up to be the best smash, yes, better than melee.
-There is no such thing as a wasted character slot
-Kid Icarus isn't overrepresented

Hong

The Strongest
I think walk-offs are going to end up as legitimate counterpicks for competitive play due to the absence of chain-grabs and waveshining. Not at all inspired by the SDCC tournament, so much as something that has been on my mind since Colosseum's unveil.

Smash 3DS looks competitive enough for me! :awesome:
I don't think this will be an unpopular opinion anymore. ;)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think walk-offs are going to end up as legitimate counterpicks for competitive play due to the absence of chain-grabs and waveshining. Not at all inspired by the SDCC tournament, so much as something that has been on my mind since Colosseum's unveil.

I don't think this will be an unpopular opinion anymore. ;)
Had to get it in before it becomes popular. ;)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I'm glad the Final Destination for all stages is an option so I wouldn't be restricted to only choosing out of 5 stages if I were to become a competitive tournament player.
- I don't count Miis as characters. For any game that they're optional for that matter. Whether it be for Mario Kart or whatever, I never consider them a character. I feel like I'll only play as them when I feel like hating myself.
- I've changed my mind about Pacman mostly because I like that Miyamoto loves him so much and he asked Sakurai to have him playable.
- If Sakurai were to say that we could have Rayman playable but only if they cut Sonic, I would've been 100% for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Sonic fan and I'm glad he's in Smash, but I'm disappointed on how he was handled in Brawl and Smash 4 doesn't seem to fix it.
- If the roster were to get more villains, it should definitely be Hades.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I hate it when people say "Its just a demo" as an excuse for how the game is.
"The game is too slow"
"Its just a demo!!"

"There is a lot of lag on the end of aerials"
"Its just a demo!!"

"The game looks faster from E3 to Comic-Con see I told you!"
Bill Trinen-"Its the same build as the E3 one" :ohwell:

I SINCERELY DOUBT THE DEVELOPERS WILL CHANGE EVERYONE'S EVERYTHING TO BE FASTER.

not happening.

The game is going to be extremely similar to how it is now to release.

If there are any tweaks in ending lag or speed I doubt it will be on the whole cast. Maybe a few moves on some of the characters for balancing. I think that the gameplay is here to stay. The fundamental speed and style of the game are here to stay. It may not be the final product but its not like the game is years away either.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I really liked the long loading from the end of the match to the results screen that was in the E3 demo. It did a good job of building up suspense and I'm sad to see that its an almost instant transition in these newer demos.

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
I hate it when people say "Its just a demo" as an excuse for how the game is.
"The game is too slow"
"Its just a demo!!"

"There is a lot of lag on the end of aerials"
"Its just a demo!!"

"The game looks faster from E3 to Comic-Con see I told you!"
Bill Trinen-"Its the same build as the E3 one" :ohwell:

I SINCERELY DOUBT THE DEVELOPERS WILL CHANGE EVERYONE'S EVERYTHING TO BE FASTER.

not happening.

The game is going to be extremely similar to how it is now to release.

If there are any tweaks in ending lag or speed I doubt it will be on the whole cast. Maybe a few moves on some of the characters for balancing. I think that the gameplay is here to stay. The fundamental speed and style of the game are here to stay. It may not be the final product but its not like the game is years away either.
I hate that you're right.

I really hope that the landing lag is reduced, other wise, combos, short hop approaches, and air game is going to be pretty much broken.

Smash 4 with reduced lag and dash dancing is all my wants, too bad it probably won't happen. :/

Ty.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brotag
3DS FC
1375-7362-1938
I feel like there are a lot of people in the Smash fanbase that are hyping this game up way too much. There definitely should be a lot of hype but I think it stops a lot of legitimate criticisms from other people and is setting up disappointment and buyer's remorse from a lot of people.

Brawl was pretty notorious for having more hype than the entire world could contain and due to that a lot of disappointment followed, not trying to say Brawl is a bad game or anything but for me and a lot of people it definitely didn't live up to the hype. I remember having to justify to myself why I should be enjoying it more than 64 and Melee and I defended the game for months until I finally accepted that it wasn't as great as I had expected it to be.

I guess I just don't want their to be a huge split in the community over this game like there was for Brawl.

D

Deleted member

I feel like there are a lot of people in the Smash fanbase that are hyping this game up way too much. There definitely should be a lot of hype but I think it stops a lot of legitimate criticisms from other people and is setting up disappointment and buyer's remorse from a lot of people.

Brawl was pretty notorious for having more hype than the entire world could contain and due to that a lot of disappointment followed, not trying to say Brawl is a bad game or anything but for me and a lot of people it definitely didn't live up to the hype. I remember having to justify to myself why I should be enjoying it more than 64 and Melee and I defended the game for months until I finally accepted that it wasn't as great as I had expected it to be.

I guess I just don't want their to be a huge split in the community over this game like there was for Brawl.
Splits in the "community" are inevitable.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS stages (minus a VERY select few) are REALLY BAD.

I question why I pre-ordered it, was considering cancelling it.
THANK YOU!
Yeah 3DS version SUCKS anyway, i'll buy it because i have to. Otherwise i can't live, but the main version(Wii U) will be much better than the handheld one.

They say it's hard to play on 3DS too, it is just plain ****. If it wasn't smash bros, i would wait for the Wii U

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I don't mind if any franchise gets more reps than they "deserve". I'm cool with new characters no matter who they are.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I enjoy the sour grapes of those with short memories - it took years for the melee community to develop, and change isn't inherently bad, but it's not just for the melee stuff it's also X, Y character, assuming characters that have always been there will be cut, etc.

I always get a chuckle when someone pleads to Sakurai to change something fairly innocuous in the grand scheme of things, because there will be a form of play that makes sense no matter what, because even with its flaws Brawl still was fun even with its limited shelf life and there were some interesting things that could be done.

The Rock-Em Sock-Em approach of this game whets my appetite.

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
-King K. Rool deserves to be playable more than Ridley
-I laugh at people saying Lucina shouldn't be in the game, but want Roy in
-Roy never deserved to be in Melee in the first place
-Kid Icarus being "over represented" isn't bad because there likely won't be a new game in the next ten years. The last time we will see these items and characters will be in this game
-I LOVE the fact that almost everything related to Metroid is that of Other M

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
-I could care less to what Gannondorf mains have to say, but this warlock needs an absolute revamp of his moveset. His current one does not justice to the character, and there is always custom specials for the disgruntled Ganondorf mains :p
-Sonic's return in hindsight was unnecessary, he still has his bland Brawl moveset and almost no one appreciates him ;(
-Very mixed with Ridley's inclusion. He may just be a stage hazard. If playable, he may be very clunky and uninspired
-Wario should keep his Biker costume
-Falco AND Wolf
-Dixie AND King K Rool
-Not a fan of the pandering to recent titles, where are all the retro reps?
-Pac-Man's weird moveset.
-Paultena does not deserve the 12 Unique Specials treatment.
-Miis are fine
-I am not bothered with Giga Bowser's return.
-I am not bothered about Zero Suit Samus' heels, that is literally one of the dumbest arguments

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
- Black Shadow should be a DLC character (or maybe on the main roster, but I'd prefer DLC), and should use Ganondorf's clone moveset (assuming Ganondorf gets a completely new one).
- K. Rool and Dixie will both get in, but Dixie will be a Diddy semi-clone (kind of like how Robin is a completely new character, and Lucina is a clone).
- I really want Metroid to have 2 newcomers, one being a completely new character, and one being a clone (like Fire Emblem, and possibly Donkey Kong as I said above). The trailer would go something like this.

Samus is walking around the Pyrosphere very cautiously, when she sees a shadow fly by really fast, and she jumps up and gets ready to attack. The shadow is moving around too fast, and is impossible for Samus to see, as it keeps flying back and forth all over the place. But the shadow stops. It slowly descends. Samus sees the shadow descending on the wall in front of her, and she slowly steps back in fear. As she is stepping back, she bumps into something, the thing that was casting the shadow. She turns around terrified, and sees it is Ridley! Shrek Ridley roars a mighty roar!
RIDLEY SIZES UP THE COMPETITION!

But that's not all. We then see some Ridley gameplay, and then some more CGI with Samus and Ridley. Ridley is owning Samus, and slamming her around and stuff. He then has her against the wall over lava, and is about the kill her. As he is about to freaking rip her head off, a huge electric blast comes from off the screen and hits Ridley, making him drop Samus, he does a quick jump and makes it back onto the ground. The camera pans to show who shot Ridley, and we see a blue-armored figure. He pops up his mask, and you hear him say, "Remember me?"
ANTHONY HIGGS IS REMEMBERED!

Then we see some gameplay of Anthony, who is a Samus semi-clone, and some more Ridley footage. Then we go back to the CGI, where Ridley is defeated by Samus and Anthony. Then they High 5, but a shadow that is obviously Kraid comes out of the lava, which hints at Kraid being the real stage hazard.

- If Lucas returns to on the main roster, Porky in his Spider-Mech should be DLC.
- Zelda will get a newcomer. If Mario and Pokémon each get full newcomers, Zelda will et one one too. The thing about the series having to be equal is BS.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
I'm not too sure if I like the character select color scheme. Orange background seems kind of... strange.

D

Deleted member

- I personally think Ridley's going to be a stage hazard at Pyrosphere. That's just me, really, and well, I just don't see K. Rool and Paper Mario playable in Smash 4, to be honest. *shields* xD
- The 3DS game will be just as good as the Wii U game. Neither version is inferior.
- The character selection screen icons found in the 3DS game are really big, and I don't know how 33+ character icons are going to fit in one tiny screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul.

- The 3DS version's online multiplayer will be great. It's not a single player experience, its stages are not bad and the game will be competitive.
- There is no "main/definitive" version of Smash 4. The 3DS and Wii U games are the main versions, not one.
- The knockback on certain moves needs to be balanced. Some K.O. earlier than others.
- The gameplay in general seems alright.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
- While it's annoying when Melee fans say Brawl is terrible and such, I find it even more annoying when Brawl fans complain about Melee. I like Brawl it's a fine game, but if you compare the transition from 64 to Melee it's like night and day, when you compare Melee to Brawl it's not nearly the same thing. Melee has flaws, but for 2001 it was perfection: Brawl was not a perfect game by 2008 standards. It's not Sakurai or his team's fault, the Wii wasn't capable of much more than the GameCube was, and they did the best they could, and it was good... but it just didn't feel like it was the successor to Melee. The new one looks like a vast improvement over Brawl, though.. and the only reason Brawl will forever be memorable is because it had a story mode.

Frank Weast

Smash Cadet
NNID
devilhunterx2
This game has the best newcomers
this game should kill off project m and melee for competitive play
I don't understand the love for K rool or ridley ( i am a huge metroid fan)
I love that kid icarus has two reps and fire emblem have 4
I hope this game unites the community

nessokman

Smash Lord
-People saying the 3DS version shouldn't exist need to disappear.
-The 3DS version is the one that will guarantee a new smash in the future, smash Wii U sales won't compare to smash 3DS.
-3DS version looks awesome.
-Mother deserves 2 reps.
-More 3rd party characters is NEVER a bad thing, they could help nintendo rebuild relationships with 3rd party studios that don't support their system.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I don't understand why people are happy the 3DS is capable of use in tournaments. I mean, there's no reason to use the 3DS version in tournaments when we have the Wii U version, mostly with the fact that on the 3DS there's limited controls, smaller screen, possible multiplayer lag, etc. so I'm a bit confused. For the first few months of the 3DS before the Wii U version is released, then I can see it happening, but after the Wii U version is released I don't see any need for the *3DS version.

* Please note that I am talking about tournament use only - using the 3DS on the go for competitive play and for playing with friends, etc is great, but playing on a smaller screen in an established location where you clearly don't need to be walking around, there's no need for the 3DS version.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I find Ness and Lucas to be very boring and uninteresting and I wouldn't miss them at all if they were gone.

Last edited:

7Blue

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I don't like the announcer...it's like he's trying too hard to have a low voice or whatever (like the SSBB announcer). It just sounds unpleasant to me.

So, I would like it if there was an option to switch announcers. Something energetic. A female one would be nice.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I don't like the announcer...it's like he's trying too hard to have a low voice or whatever (like the SSBB announcer). It just sounds unpleasant to me.

So, I would like it if there was an option to switch announcers. Something energetic. A female one would be nice.
The 3DS announcer creeps the **** out of me.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I haven't heard the 3DS announcer. Please don't post a link so I can be blissfully ignorant.

I guess I'm a little irked by some of Villager's moves, and how there's still enough landing lag for days, but it's nothing I want to stab myself over

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Said it before, I'll say it again: I HATE customizable moves.

edit: Posted that original pic in the wrong thread, sorry!

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Glad Takamaru is not playable. I don't want generic retros, with Little Mac is more than enough.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
I think it is very likely that there will be no cut Nintendo owned characters from brawl (I don't know about Snake).
In other words I think everyone, including the highly contested Squirtle and Ivysaur, are coming back as playable in some capacity. By some capacity I mean that Squirtle and Ivysaur may be "evolved" or "de-evolved" into their other forms, but in essence I think they will still be playable. I just don't think Sakurai is cutting any Nintendo owned character with a unique move-set, or at least I think if any are cut it will be because of time constraints(like what seemingly happened with Mewtwo in brawl). In other words my guess is that the only reason any brawl character, except snake, will get cut is because of production limitations not because they were chosen to be removed in favor of another character. I won't be disappointing if I'm wrong but I wanted to throw my theory out there.

Oh and I really love ROB I would be very very disappointing if he didn't return.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I always felt Takamaru was the most overrated character on these boards, so naturally his disconfirmation made me smile today.

However, a weird thing happened; I realised that if his series actually gets a revival or additional attention from western fans and he gets in on THAT, I'd be a lot less mad than if he got in due to the arbitrary fan term of him being a shoo-in because 'Famicom Four'.

So whilst I dislike Takamaru intensely right now, I'm looking forward to him changing my mind post Smash 4.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Glad Takamaru is not playable. I don't want generic retros, with Little Mac is more than enough.
Little Mac isn't considered retro unless you completely ignore the Wii version.

I don't care about Takamaru. Thought he'd be cool but there are literally only 2 people on my wanted list. One of them I use to be a hater of.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Glad on Takamaru's dis-confirmation. When I first joined, either he (or the occasional Mach Rider) were on every prediction roster. He definitely wasn't a shoo in.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'd prefer to have playable characters from IPs that aren't represented as opposed to ones that already are. For example:

Takamaru > Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo.

Speaking of Takamaru, I'm devastated that he isn't playable, and that a lot of reactions I've seen are "Oh, he's just another swordsman" or "I always knew he wouldn't be playable" or "Don't know him, don't care," which are a bit disheartening.

On the bright side, if you didn't know about him before, you certainly do now. If you think he would've been a typical sword user, I suggest looking him up: he would have been a very unique character, to say the least. He had great moveset potential. He's not only a retro character, but he's also a previously Japan-only character like Marth. Anyway, I'm still glad he's in the game; this is quite an improvement from sticker status he had in Brawl.

Rant aside, I am also fine with "clones". The more characters we have, the better. I don't think they're a waste of development time; if anything, they're icing on the cake. Lucina made me realize this.

Although I prefer certain characters over others, there isn't a single character I DON'T want in the game. Now that's just silly.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
-I dislike the idea of Ridley's inclusion and prefer someone like Sylux over him.
-Mewtwo deserves a spot more than KKR. Also, he should replace Jigglypuff.
-who is Takumaru and why do people want him
-3DS Smash will be as good as Wii U Smash in its own right and has zero reason to be dismissed as inferior.
-I think E3's reveals were hilarious.

*assembles an army of Heatran in front of me and ducks*

For all you non Pokemon fans out there, Heatran is a legendary with the ability Flash Fire, which negates all fire based damage. So naturally, it'll dispel all the flame I get :p

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
-I dislike the idea of Ridley's inclusion and prefer someone like Sylux over him.
-Mewtwo deserves a spot more than KKR. Also, he should replace Jigglypuff.

-who is Takumaru and why do people want him
-3DS Smash will be as good as Wii U Smash in its own right and has zero reason to be dismissed as inferior.
-I think E3's reveals were hilarious.

*assembles an army of Heatran in front of me and ducks*

For all you non Pokemon fans out there, Heatran is a legendary with the ability Flash Fire, which negates all fire based damage. So naturally, it'll dispel all the flame I get :p
[gets F.L.U.D.D]

Anyways, I don't care about Mewtwo. Could be in, could be out, I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom