• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Just because something is "fine as it is", that doesn't mean it can't be changed for the better. If Sakurai had this kind of attitude, the new Bowser would have never happened. The new Bowser, which by the way, is approved by like 29/30 of the people who actually played the character, including me.

Some examples:
You don't know if Ganondorf having a weapon and magic will mean the character's fighting style will change. His standard and down specials can reflect his sorcery, and some of his normals can use his weapon, while many of his punches and kicks remain. All his best moves can stay, and he can have a nice variety of actual useful buttons to press. He can still have the same fighting style, strengths and weaknesses, and after Ganondorf mains see it instead of having a needlessly knee-jerk reaction, you have a 95% chance of being happy with it, because this design team is awesome.

You don't know if Marth having an English voice actor would be good or bad. Just wanting it to be Japanese for the sake of it being Japanese for two measly games is a horrible excuse, and tradition is just a tumour that is blocking improvement. He's had an English game, and even if he hadn't, he should still get an English VA.

Ness has had an awful character design from the beginning and deserves to be revised. PK Thunder should be his standard special move/combined with PK Flash, and he should get a proper recovery. Lucas should be gutted in favour of combining the best of both characters. I'd be even happier if neither show up in favour of Ninten, who can simply assume Ness and Lucas by means of costume swap. I like Mother more than any series in Smash Bros and I'd be ecstatic.

Unrelated to the above:
I'd feel more remorse over Shulk not appearing than I did Chrom.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I actually do not want to see Shulk go past an Assist Trophy.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
-I don't feel like overrepresentation should be a problem. I'd be happy with ten or twenty Pokemon reps.

-I don't really have any opinion on Megaman and I'm relatively unhappy about Pacman's inclusion. As third party-characters go, I'd probably be satisfied with just Sonic.

-3DS version is unnecessary imo

-Clones are not an issue. I actually tend to prefer the clone characters (Roy and Lucas being two of my very favorites) and don't really see any issue with their inclusion. Only one I dislike is Ganondorf for obvious reasons.

-I feel like Brawl is a much more fun game to play than Melee ever was. Not that Melee is at all a bad game. But for the purposes of my playing of Smash Bros (Which is pretty much everything but tournament play) I feel like Brawl is all around a better game. Project M is probably my favorite though.

-Pokefloats was one of my favorite stages and I'd like to see it return as a retro stage in SSB4. Or, a new version with more recent Pokemon would be amazing.

-Would probably trade any currently confirmed character aside from Robin to have Ivysaur back.

Will probably come back to add more

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
- As much as I like more females being added to Smash Bros, I really don't want to see an alternate, female pikachu costume.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
1. The Wii Fit Trainer blows and does not deserve to be in smash.
2. Toon Link is a clone.
3. Lucas should be cut.
4. Lucas is a semi-clone.
5. As a Lego fan, I think Chase McCain would be a cool character for smash since he originated from a video game that was a Nintendo exclusive.
6. I hate the Subspace Emissary story mode in Brawl.
7. I don't think we should have character DLC.
8. I don't really like Dash Dancing.
9. Waluigi shouldn't come.
10. I think the 3DS version should've been developed first, and then like a year or so later they should work on the WiiU version.

Last edited:

LaughingLuigi

Smash Apprentice
- I don't want Ganondorf to change, but if they do change him, they should keep Flame Choke and Wizard's Foot.
- Rosalina is overrated.
- DK deserves four reps.
- I'm not really a fan of the 3DS version.
- Smash 4 should have DLC.
- I hate it when people talk about characters getting cut.
- Miis are fine.
- I'm glad Subspace Emissary is gone.

Squishyfrog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishyfrog
I originally didn't want Pac-Man or the Miis to be playable, but after seeing what Sakurai and his team have done with them I'm actually happy they're in the game and I'm really excited to try them out. And because of that I've been careful about saying "I don't want X character to be playable in Smash 4", because at this point I'm convinced that if anyone could get me hyped about a character I don't care about(or even dislike) it would be Sakurai and his team.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
--> Lucina is much cooler than princess Marth.

--> I always think Ridley is not a good idea. Everyday I feel it worse, but I'm with a feeling he will appear as playable.

--> If D.K series don't get a newcomer, I will start hating everything about Fire Emblem in Smash (I love Fire Emblem ...but still).

--> If Cranky Kong is playable and Dixie not , I will start hating (everything about) Mr.Sakurai.

--> I'm a little alarmed with this new alt-costumes... Maybe they're going too far ?

--> My most wanted veteran is Metaknight.

--> Wolf or Falco please, not both....

--> I can't understand why Zelda looks like TP Zelda...

--> I don't see need for Lucas,Snake or R.O.B to return.

--> Ghiraihim don't deserve to be in a Smash game... but Snake never deserved too.
At least I like Ghiraihim pretty much.

--> Until now, my unique frustration with SSB4 is the Mii fighters... the game is outstanding.

--> I don't want DLC and don't want balance patching... Don't understand that like I don't want a balanced game, that is all I want.I just don't want my characters do be post-nerfed or even post-buffed.
Nintendo must use patches to take away "techniques" as Laser-lock or infinite or almost-infinite chaingrabs.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
The Wii U version is overated, and will most likely have the same results as Mario Kart 8.
Palutena does not deserve "Custom" specials
Graphics look bad

dansal

Smash Apprentice
Snake should come back; I want 4P matches made entirely out of different third party characters.

edit: PS I want yearly balance patches.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm sure people got over it, but still not mentioned that much compared to the opposite.

I love the Sticker Star segment of the Paper Mario stage. It's not because the game had bad receptions from fans that it has to be bad in smash. For example, I like samus's design and it comes from other M.

EDIT (why no one post? this would worth the bump...)

Since it seems to be VERY unpopular today, I don't think that Sakurai's series repping is affecting the general repping badly. Really, please, get over it because I don't see any reason this would affect the repping of other series badly. What did affected badly in brawl was the implementation of SSE that was basically over centralised on the whole game so much that it could even be considered as the "main" mode (even tough such a thing is technically false, I think you get the idea). Here, I see big improvements on repping (ironically, yesterday, that was a good proof) and still complains about this. Why is this affecting badly the game? Even if there's a lot of enemies in smash run from Sakurai's series, I counted the numbers and there's actually more enemies from everything BUT those series. Not only it means that the other series is a technical majority, but it's so diverse. I want to remind you that if it was brawl, you wouldn't see stuff like Ridley or Mewtwo playable, Paper Mario representation other than trophies, more obscure games rep, enemies from more nintendo than kirby and many, many more.

So, can we just be happy to see better repping IN GENERAL?

It's not even a majority...

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I honestly don't care about the differences between the Super Smash Brothers games. I have the utmost confidence that Super Smash Brothers for 3DS and Wii U will make the first three Smash games totally obsolete. I will not have a single reason to go back to Melee, Brawl or Project M after the 4th of October.

ProfTrumanchez

Smash Cadet
NNID
ProfTrumanchez
3DS FC
0731-4753-9860
I honestly don't care about the differences between the Super Smash Brothers games. I have the utmost confidence that Super Smash Brothers for 3DS and Wii U will make the first three Smash games totally obsolete. I will not have a single reason to go back to Melee, Brawl or Project M after the 4th of October.
I completely concur. But's it's not until recently when I started to question that logic...
Oh, screw it! I can make Lady Palutena kick Little Mac in the groin in this Smash, and nowhere else!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would prefer Ridley to be a stage boss, but because I want there to be a mode where you can control stage bosses.

Thegamerguy131

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thegamerguy131
3DS FC
0946-2559-8115
I hate it when someone says a certain character WILL or WILL NOT make the cut. When someone does that, I start hoping that he opposite is true just to see them being proven wrong (I'm a horrible person).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
-Kid Icarus: Uprising has way too much representation in this game overall.(not KI in general, just this game) And no, no other single game goes that far, so there's no real comparisons to be made. It's just this particular issue. I'd prefer if the other two games(or at least the first) was repped far more. Keep in mind the other representation spans multiple games in each series, when possible(Smash 64 couldn't really show more than Gen 1 Pokemon, after all).

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
i don't want mewtwo back, and if he doesn't coming back i will love the fact people are angry and sad,

i think that this game is just going to be a huge disappointment.

the will u versions looks bad all around Mario's overalls falcons face
it also showing to have lack of content to the 3ds version

i don't like any newcomer so far

Brawl hype, trailer, website and everything else was done better then 4

i some what liked tripping

Last edited:

Mitochondria-Eve

Smash Rookie
I can't stand the fact that Charizard is in this game as a solo fighter. In my opinion, either all three of the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon should've returned, or none of them should've come back. And while it hasn't been officially stated that Ivysaur and Squirtle are cut, it's starting to look that way. It is my belief that if an overrated Pokemon like Charizard is good enough to come back as a solo fighter, then so are Ivysaur and Squirtle.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I'm 100% fine with the Kid Icarus Uprising representation. In fact, we need more of it. Give me Medusa. Give me Hades. Give me Dark Pit. Give me Raptor Claws, Darkness bows, and Rose staffs.
- I honestly don't care about the Donkey Kong Country series. Never cared for the stages or characters.
- I supported Rayman before it was cool.
- Fire Emblem needs items!
- It's disappointing that they didn't do more with the special death animation like Mega Man, but I feel only Rayman could pull it off well. How sad...
- I hate that aside from Zelda and Peach, pallet swaps don't change the hair color. Support threads hype up hair color changes when they show pallet swaps and they look so cool but they never happen.

I like Bowser's feral voice in the Smash games and prefer it to any kind of speaking voice the other games are using. Actually, I wish they'd use more wildcat roars like in Mario 64. I also dig Giga Bowser and I'm glad they didn't replace it with some random attack involving the Clown Car.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I like DK's Final Smash.
Donkey Konga was a good game, and now that the attack has visual indicators paying homage to the source material, it's even better.
I just wish it didn't suck.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think Shulk is the next reveal.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Wishlist rosters and best-case scenario rosters are the real reasons the majority of prediction rosters here remain unchanged and unrealistic.

The fact people still go the safe roster route even after the reveal of Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, and Villager baffles me still to this day.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I like DK's Final Smash.
Donkey Konga was a good game, and now that the attack has visual indicators paying homage to the source material, it's even better.
I just wish it didn't suck.
It would be perfect if DK actually sent things like musical notes that chase people and cause knockback, sort of like a homing Big Gay Dance with rhythm elements.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
1. I think Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are stupid additions, and should be replaced by more popular people (K Rool and Ridly).
2. I actually like Lucina better then Marth, and I wouldn't be sad if Marth got removed.
3. I don't like the Legend of Zelda series. I don't ever play as Link only Zelda and sometimes Ganondorf.
4. I would rather have Lucas stay and Ness leave.
5. I would be happy if just Fox stayed from Star Fox

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The amount of content Kid Icarus is receiving is a bit much. As of now, it seems Kid Icarus has more content than Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario, Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and is on par with The Legend of Zelda. I personally think that all the series listed before should have more content in Smash than Kid Icarus. However, I did state, "As of now." so things can change. Change that I am hoping for.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
--You won't catch me arguing that a character shouldn't be added because they're a sword-user, at least not seriously, but the counterexample of "there are more characters who punch" is bad false equivalence. The vast, vast majority of sword-user standards consist of swinging or stabbing the sword one way or another (with few exceptions, like Link having two aerial kicks), whereas a lot of characters have one or two punches here or there, but rely on a number of physical techniques to actually hit the opponent. In fact, the whole reason people (correctly) thought Little Mac could be unique in the game was because he could be the first character entirely based on punching.

StupdendousMike said:
I'm annoyed by the idea that Tropical Freeze does nothing to help Dixie Kong's chances, because it seems to be mostly held by a handful of K. Rool supporters who think we can only get one or the other... and I GUARANTEE that if K. Rool was in Tropical Freeze, but Dixie wasn't, every single one of them would be constantly touting it as definitive proof that K. Rool was going to be in Smash.
I don't think anyone, K. Rool fan or otherwise, denies Tropical Freeze is an important new role for Dixie, moreso that they object to the elementary school logic of "she's in a new game = she's a lock for Smash, don't even bother arguing, you fool." I think Tropical Freeze caused a bandwagon to form around Dixie on that basis, and would have the same effect on K. Rool because that's the prevailing mindset among the (presumably) newer, younger members of the community.

Otherwise, I think it's selling Dixie short to support her because "OMG TROPICAL FREEZE" when she's qualified based on DKC2 and 3 alone (the roles where she's not just one of three glorified powerups), and if I had to guess, the dominant response to K. Rool in Tropical Freeze by his fans would have been "Eat it, relevance fanatics," not "OMG SHOO-IN."

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I believe the next character that is revealed will be when the game comes out.

Last edited:
I don't like the premise behind Robin in Smash.

It's a bad idea to carry over a character's weakness from their own games and put it into Smash, like is the case with Robin's limited use of tomes and the Levin Sword before they break. While we're at it, Olimar can't jump, Mario shrinks when hit, Link's equipment is limited and can run out, and Peach can be carried offscreen for a Kidnap KO. Brilliant, right?

There's no reason to me that Robin couldn't just have unlimited use of his specials and electric sword. He (or she) would still be just as interesting.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Link's equipment is limited.
Bow, Boomerang, and Bombs. Works for me. 100 points Gryffindor for Alliteration.
What about the hooksh- Shut up!

- Smash players obsessing over the Gamecube controller is like that stubborn child who won't let go of his favorite blanky. Even though that child is already 15 YEARS OLD! #unpopularopinions
- I was hoping my first handheld Smash experience would be sprite based on the GBA. That ship has sailed, so forgive me if I'm not 100% ecstatic for the 3DS version being the debut. #unpopularopinions
- Seriously, who the hell is Takamaru and why should I care? Don't say Nintendo Land either. That's like saying you're a Final Fantasy fan when you've only ever played Kingdom Hearts.
Props to those who emulated or imported the game (prior to VC release) but I doubt the majority of bandwagon supporters went that far.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Mario and Pokemon could have 14 reps each and that'd still be a-okay in my book.

Melee gets too much credit as a video game in general. It has many many flaws that a lot of people overlook simply because of how it's ''competitively better"

Everyone on this forum is guilty of hating certain reps just because and not having really solid logic behind why they don't deserve to be here. Including myself.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We desperately need some more villains in smash.

Even obvious vets at this point would make me ecstatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom