• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Jigglypuff just needs to gtfo of Smash tbh
I know how sacrilegious this is to many, considering she's one of the original twelve, but I've [reluctantly] agreed for years. I think my resentment comes from Jigglypuff's priority over Mewtwo's. My stance on Jiggs is this: she's the last priority Pokémon. If they get everyone else in they'd like, then maybe some room could be made for Jigglypuff. Of course my stance is wrong because she's been in every damn title in the series.

:039:

On a different note, I'd be totally fine with cutting Fire Emblem. I'm just not attached to that series whatsoever, though I appreciate the addition it brings to Smash. That said, if removing its presence would improve representation from the likes of Legend of Zelda, Metroid, or F-Zero, then by all means axe the emblem.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
-I think there should be version exclusive characters.
-I'd like it if there was only one version of Link per system; meaning Skyward Sword Link is on Wii U, and the Toon Link is on 3DS.
-I don't think there are any other Metroid characters that should be added. Even if Metroid deserves another rep I just don't think there's anyone else that would be good as a playable character
-I don't like having two princesses from Mario and if they wanted to take one out I'd actually prefer it was Peach.
-I'd like to see a better water starter than Greninja
-I wish the Wii U version would come out at the same time as the 3DS version because that's the one I want!
-There should be more female characters

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
More opinions!
-The concept of relevancy should never have been a thing because Ice Climbers exist.
-I don't think Mario really needed another rep and if it did it shoulda been Toad. Rosie looks cool but I don't know if it was her time yet.
-I don't want to see Jigglypuff come back unless she's been heavily reworked. And she actually gets an expression outside of her joyless smile.
-If Falcondorf returns I think he honestly would have better off being replaced with Girahim at that point. Please don't make Falcondorf again Sakurai.
-People treating Sal's leak as gospel are silly.
-I think it'd be cool if every gen of Pokemon had a rep.
-While I do think he'd be fun to play, I think Ridley is represented just fine as a boss.
-I find people who say they will/won't buy the game if x character XYZ is/isn't in extremely petty. Roster is a strong factor, but I think making one or two characters the end-all be-all is really silly.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Jigglypuff was put in Brawl unlike Mewtwo. :troll:

ANYWAYS I don't think K.Rool is relevant anymore. I don't think he's likely. And the Kremlings confirming him is like saying the Goombas confirm the Goomba King.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Opinions.
- Mewtwo will likely be treated as a newcomer rather than a veteran.
- Any argument against Lucina's uniqueness could be used against Chrom as well.
- Relevancy arguments shouldn't be a thing. Or rather, irrelevancy. Just because a character hasn't seen the light of day for a while doesn't automatically count them out. Conversely, a character that is relevant, like Chrom, becomes more likely for that reason.
- Wario shouldn't fart as an attack.
- I don't like Krystal, but she's actually not that unlikely.
- I would love to see SaturnGamer64 voice his opinions on this thread.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I would be fine if the following characters are cut to make more space for the next Smash:
- Rosalina
- Toon Link
- Sheik
- ZSS
- Falco
- Jigglypuff
- Lucario
- Ike
- Lucas

.n_n.

D

Deleted member

-I don't understand why people think that Little Mac is going to be or is overpowered. I see him as a powerful character, but he will easily be gimped and I am thinking that he is going to have some pretty poor range. He will struggle against characters with useful projectiles for sure (like Falco and his Blaster). I bet when the game is released, we will see Little Mac's One Hit KO move have its limitations; I bet that this move will easily be blocked.

-Speaking of overpowered, I find that Mega Man is going to be overpowered. His projectile based moveset is going to give him a great amount of distance between him and his opponents and I think that his Mega Buster will gimp some characters recoveries (Luigi will definitely struggle against Mega Man for sure). I also think that Rosalina will be overpowered. She may not sound that way now since she is a big and light target, but the competitive community will find a way to use her moves to essentially make her the next Ice Climbers or Olimar.

-I sense that Sakurai doesn't pay attention too much to the competitive community. I know that he won't incorporate suggestions like putting wavedashing back in (that's understandable), but I feel as though that he isn't looking at videos of people playing Smash to know which characters need to be buffed and nerfed and how to do so. Even still... I'll at least trust that he will be balancing characters in the correct way; I bet characters like Zero Suit Samus (a top tiered character who got buffs) will get subtle nerfs. However, the reason why I say that he doesn't pay too much attention is also because of the Final Destination stages. It seems to me that he paid more attention to Brawl's online than the competitive community playing on stages like Battlefield and Smashville. I feel as though de-activating stage hazards would have been smarter than to make a Final Destination version for the majority of the stages.

I would be fine if the following characters are cut to make more space for the next Smash:
- Rosalina
I heavily agree with this.
If Rosalina got cut, I would shed zero tears.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I heavily agree with this.
If Rosalina got cut, I would shed zero tears.
Don´t get me wrong I love Rosalina and her moveset but if we don´t receive characters like King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley and a Wars Series rep I would be really sad, those four characters should be considered before anyone else, and all of them could have a unique gameplay.

.n_n.

Last edited:
Just wanted to but in and ask, why do you guys keep talking about characters being cut? Some people really like those characters a lot, and saying that it is justified to remove them for characters that YOU feel are adequate for reasons that make no sense ("making room"?) makes you sound incredibly selfish. Smash has survived without these characters, and it will continue to do so.

Learn to love what you get.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I really like tripping a lot. You are an objectively horrible person if you want it cut, because I want it not cut. Learn to love it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't understand why people think arguably dead and one-note characters like King K.Rool, or largely uneeded characters like Ridley (who is perfectly justified in being a boss for a variety of reasons), deserve to be in more than comparitively easy to implement and unique characters like Rosalina, who are inarguably relevant and have made an impact.

I also kind of feel like there is this general consensus that Smash characters need to "look badass or be 20 years old to be deserving", and I just don't get it.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Worse comes to worse, they can always cut Mario in favor of more important characters, like Shrek.

;)

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
People want rosalina cut? dafuq? did you guys look at her gameplay? She's like the most unique character since.... **** that, she's literally the most unique character in the game gameplay wise. I imagine it will be great watching high level rosalina play, her combo game could be crazy. Then again maybe she sucks ass but I trust sakurai that he did a good job with her.

I am generally pleased with the new characters gameplay wise. Megaman, little mac, rosalina they all seem to be very different from anyone else on the roster. I really appreciate that since thats a extremely difficult thing to pull of on sakurais part!

Speaking of new characters, am i the only one who thinks that the villager is going to be very underpowered? Like I look at that guys moveset and just nothing seems viable at all, he seems like a joke character to me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I actually legitimately think there should be a setting in "Special Smash" where your characters trip really frequently.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
People want rosalina cut? dafuq? did you guys look at her gameplay? She's like the most unique character since.... **** that, she's literally the most unique character in the game gameplay wise. I imagine it will be great watching high level rosalina play, her combo game could be crazy. Then again maybe she sucks *** but I trust sakurai that he did a good job with her.

I am generally pleased with the new characters gameplay wise. Megaman, little mac, rosalina they all seem to be very different from anyone else on the roster. I really appreciate that since thats a extremely difficult thing to pull of on sakurais part!

Speaking of new characters, am i the only one who thinks that the villager is going to be very underpowered? Like I look at that guys moveset and just nothing seems viable at all, he seems like a joke character to me.
Villager is weird, I have a feeling he'll be very hit or miss. Either total bs or useless depending on the matchup. Little Mac (Ness and Kirby will slaughter him) and Rosalina (teleports will make her cry) look the same

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Just wanted to but in and ask, why do you guys keep talking about characters being cut? Some people really like those characters a lot, and saying that it is justified to remove them for characters that YOU feel are adequate for reasons that make no sense ("making room"?) makes you sound incredibly selfish. Smash has survived without these characters, and it will continue to do so.

Learn to love what you get.
I'm an advocate (lol sounds too serious) for cuts. We know that there are limited slots. Even if there is potential to add 100 new characters there is simply no time nor resources to make it happen.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I would actually be really satisfied if they just 'replaced' Jigglypuff with Wigglytuff. We could say that Jiggs evolved, and is essentially the same character. Moveset could be transffered with whatever tweaks and changes they would make anyway. It would keep the spirit of Jiggs alive, both technically and as a character, while giving a fresh face to the roster.

Only concern is, hardcore Jigg fans might feel Wiggs would be too different, while Jigg haters would feel the character to be too much the same, and it would just piss off everyone. Well, except for me at least.

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I would actually be really satisfied if they just 'replaced' Jigglypuff with Wigglytuff. We could say that Jiggs evolved, and is essentially the same character. Moveset could be transffered with whatever tweaks and changes they would make anyway. It would keep the spirit of Jiggs alive, both technically and as a character, while giving a fresh face to the roster.

Only concern is, hardcore Jigg fans might feel Wiggs would be too different, while Jigg haters would feel the character to be too much the same, and it would just piss off everyone. Well, except for me at least.
Why would Wigglytuff ever be put into Smash? Wigglytuff is just one Pokemon amongst 700+, it isn't very popular and has no reason to be in Smash over any other Pokemon.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Why would Wigglytuff ever be put into Smash?
Well, for the reasons I stated in the post you just quoted of course :p

Wigglytuff is just one Pokemon amongst 700+, it isn't very popular and has no reason to be in Smash over any other Pokemon.
I'm not saying it's likely, or that if it were up to me that either Wigglytuff or Jigglypuff would have ever been in smash, I'm just saying it could be a way to introduce a new comer and in a way, preserve a veteran in one move, without losing a slot. I mean, for 1, Sakurai always reserves a space or two for characters no one asked for or weren't substantially 'popular'. And for two, Jigglypuff has long ceased to be popular (especially compared to other pokemon) outside of the context of SSB, where even here she is a character that gets met with a lot of opposition. Hasn't stopped her from making an appearence in every iteration to date.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I love ogling ZSS as much as the next guy but it's taken too far on this site (or maybe the internet in general).

We can't get a single discussion going about her without someone bringing up her chest, ass, or heels.

For this reason alone I'm glad I'm not a Zamus main, which is a shame because she looks really fun to play as this time around.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I love ogling ZSS as much as the next guy but it's taken too far on this site (or maybe the internet in general).

We can't get a single discussion going about her without someone bringing up her chest, ***, or heels.

For this reason alone I'm glad I'm not a Zamus main, which is a shame because she looks really fun to play as this time around.
I think people would be okay with ZSS' new design if there was some sort of power-suit-like armor covering her entire body....oh wait..

Definitely gonna main her tho, no ****s given about what the Internet thinks.

D

Deleted member

I don't want to see Mewtwo in this game, and would much rather have Jigglypuff.

I would love for Roy to be back, however.

I would be fine with Bowser/DK/Diddy using the realistic roars and grunts they had in Brawl, probably because I don't play any of them.

Despite her already being confirmed as a stage hazard of sorts, I'd much rather have Viridi be playable than Palutena.

I am perfectly okay with Wario's Brawl moveset, and would prefer if he retained that than be modified to include more Wario Land references for Smash 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I hate K. Rool. You have to be nuts if you actually like that awfully designed obese crocodile with a disgusting busted eye. Liking K. Rool is probably a case of taking a DKC SNES cartridge directly to the head.
^ THIS! I don't know what it is about the DKC Nostalgia but I've always hated K.Rool's design. Just looks so stupid...

- Unless Jigglypuff gets a massive Fairy Type overhaul, she shouldn't come back. Even if she can spindash better than Sonic... And yes I say Jigglypuff's a girl. Deal with it.
- I think Greninja is an excellent addition. It's good seeing a Pokemon that doesn't have a movie based around them. And for some reason it gives me more hope for other less popular characters in other series, like Anna from Fire Emblem.
- Why are competitive Smashers complaining about the every stage Final Destination thing? It was made for you!
- I'll accept Pacman if he at least has the SFxT design. Even better if he gets his classic design but the Ghostly Adventures version seriously needs to get out!
- I'll be deeply disappointed if Ice Climbers don't make it back. I love Ice/Snow based things in video games. Just sayin...
- You guys want Rosalina cut? What's wrong with you people!?! She's probably the most unique newcomer so far! And no it's not bias even if she was my most wanted character... :T
- While I don't believe in Leaks and Rumors until proven true, and I especially won't believe a leak that claims Pacman and Mii are characters until proven true, I'm strangely entranced by the simplistic design of the Chorus Men and will be oddly okay if they are included.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Sakurai should add another online mode for taunt parties or screwing around, because that can actually be fun.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sakurai should add another online mode for taunt parties or screwing around, because that can actually be fun.
He did. It's called "With Friends" mode! :V

Because honestly, screwing around in a game is not as fun without friends.

-------------------------------

I disagree with the notion that Smash 4 has "no chance" of having a more successful competitive scene than Melee. In actuality, it has an easier shot at being big, because of online play being an official thing, which will get people interested in local tournaments, especially if they participate in online ones. Plus there is the point of it being the most recent game and therefore being on the radar, AND it has two versions available (and people who play the 3DS version could still enter tournaments for the Wii U version, as their practice with the characters carries over due to the mechanics being the same). Also, a lot of big YouTube channels are going to have coverage of it (as long as they don't monetise the videos, they can still upload them).

Not only that, but while Brawl was overly defensive, Melee is overly offensive and it's advanced techniques are all obscure exploits or outright glitches that the game does not teach you about, meaning you have to research online just to find out that they exist and how they should be used.

Right now, Smash 4 is looking to be a fine balance between offensive/defensive play, and strategic/skill based play. This even looks to be the case in terms of roster decisions (Little Mac and Greninja will feel familiar to Melee players, Mega Man and Villager will feel familiar to Brawl players). If this holds true, it will objectively be the most accessible Smash game, and will mean people from all walks of life or the Smash community can have a fighting chance at being considered a good player (as they will choose a character that fits their play style the most, which I didn't really think you could do in Melee. Every character required you play offensively, so it felt more like I was picking variations of the same play style). This in turn, could mean that this game surpasses Melee in competitive popularity.

None of this is a sure thing, of course, but the game having "no chance" is not a sure thing either.

Dairz

Smash Ace
(I'm probably going to get beat up for this..)

I find Chrom very underwhelming, and I think he shouldn't be in Smash 4. Fire Emblem should only have Marth and Ike as reps, IMO. (A de-cloned Roy would be OK)

Last edited:

SuperSmashDrake

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashDrake
3DS FC
4811-7419-2384
Well here I go:
-Fire Emblem Awakening doesn't need a rep in this Smash
-Customizable movesets is stupid
-No more mid-game transformations is stupid
-Rosalina shoudln't be the new Mario rep
-Ridley should remain a boss
-Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion still makes me upset

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Wario's WarioWare moveset should be canned completely. Leave the costumes as alternates, but base his entire moveset off of the Warioland franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom