• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
Well after playing for the first time I can say:

1. he needs to bounce when he hits the ground from tumble

2. his DSmash comes out really fast from behind, and kills pretty early. It seems like a bit much.

3. I'd suggest adding a slight arc back to his BAir

4. his L-cancels are really tight, but I assume this has been known.

5. his hitboxes might need to be extended downward a tad--i was having some troubles hitting kirby on yoshis land

6. is NAir will make him land on platforms a bit above him

7. his dash attack needs a hitbox a bit closer to the center, or else he'll sometimes run right through characters. however, this may be inentional

8. lower volume on death, please!

Last edited:

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
some other things:

1. You can't reverse the direction of Up-B. You are stuck in the direction you are facing.

2. You don't regain your up-b after being hit

3. Ridley is very susceptible to shield pokes. This is likely due to his feet being exposed very early--perhaps move up and back the hurtboxes on his feet while shielding?

4. his grab ranges--both grabbing and being grabbed--seem longer than they should.

5. his jab combo doesn't have enough hitstun between hits to link on shields. They either need more hitstun or the jab combo needs to be sped up

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well it COULD if you wanted lol
I tried. It can only increase its damage and knockback. GFX and hitboxes always remain same. Tried everything.
some other things:

1. You can't reverse the direction of Up-B. You are stuck in the direction you are facing.

2. You don't regain your up-b after being hit

3. Ridley is very susceptible to shield pokes. This is likely due to his feet being exposed very early--perhaps move up and back the hurtboxes on his feet while shielding?

4. his grab ranges--both grabbing and being grabbed--seem longer than they should.

5. his jab combo doesn't have enough hitstun between hits to link on shields. They either need more hitstun or the jab combo needs to be sped up
1. It should have code that reverses it if you hold back. It was here before with old Up B too.
2. Will fix this.
3. I don't think this is possible.
4. No, they are tightly sitting on his arm.
5. Hitstun will probably slow down Ridley too, so, its better to increase speed then. But its kinda fast already.
He had a gliding atttack? I didn't know that.

When I pressed attack button during glide, he didn't have anything. :V
You had to press grab button for it.
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros any way to make his Bair come out a little bit faster?
Yes, just need to fix animation.
Well after playing for the first time I can say:

1. he needs to bounce when he hits the ground from tumble

2. his DSmash comes out really fast from behind, and kills pretty early. It seems like a bit much.

3. I'd suggest adding a slight arc back to his BAir

4. his L-cancels are really tight, but I assume this has been known.

5. his hitboxes might need to be extended downward a tad--i was having some troubles hitting kirby on yoshis land

6. is NAir will make him land on platforms a bit above him

7. his dash attack needs a hitbox a bit closer to the center, or else he'll sometimes run right through characters. however, this may be inentional

8. lower volume on death, please!
1. Yeah, i know.
2. But it has very long end lag. I will slightly increase start up either way.
3. Its better to limit his range. Its already very long, but making it also go vertically may not work well.
5. Well, that problem is present with some other characters. Won't make much sense otherwise.
6. That can't be fixed.
7. Intentional.
8. Will be fixed i guess.

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
1. It should have code that reverses it if you hold back. It was here before with old Up B too.
2. Will fix this.
3. I don't think this is possible.
4. No, they are tightly sitting on his arm.
5. Hitstun will probably slow down Ridley too, so, its better to increase speed then. But its kinda fast already.
1. I tried, doesn't seem to work.
4. In that case, it might be the case of his thin fingers that gave me the impression.

1. Yeah, i know.
2. But it has very long end lag. I will slightly increase start up either way.
3. Its better to limit his range. Its already very long, but making it also go vertically may not work well.
5. Well, that problem is present with some other characters. Won't make much sense otherwise.
6. That can't be fixed.
7. Intentional.
8. Will be fixed i guess.
1. Cool
2. After playing with it a bit more, I think it's fine actually. The range is fairly specific, so it's not as effective to use as a punish as I thought.
3. I was referring to it mainly as a way to make the animation more interesting, since I had noticed the way your hitboxes aligned already made a slight curve. Edit: that or the hitbox viewer is just very strange http://puu.sh/gM111/af3feb1d85.jpg
5. I'm mainly referring to his jab sometimes going over Kirby's head, like so: http://i.gyazo.com/245fb4b49a24b1c586cc90623aa35a0f.gif (Gyazo's fps is bad, sorry)

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
<3 <3 <3 the new up B, Nair, side B and Bair

I think the pogo tail is a little too spamable now. You should make the tail a hurtbox for that move (if it isn't), also the tail still goes through platforms really far (more than just the tip going through).

I also think the hitbox on his aerial down B is a little large.

Edit: his over 100% getup attack is really slow (which is fine I think) and I'm not sure if that was intentional.

Great improvements overall, Bagan!

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Oh yeah, Ridley is pretty much like a big :4metaknight: now.
How is that bad? Besides, Boss Characters such as :4bowser:, :4ganondorf: and :4dedede: have high power&defense in Smash Bros....Ridley however ditches defense for speed while maintaining lethal power.

BaganSmashBros did a fine job to "portray" Ridley as a destructive force to be reckoned with.
THAT is how Ridley should be presented in Smash Bros......"Accurate Portrayal of Characters" my spiky tail

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
I missed all the good stuff as usual.
Sorry was the Wii testing already done? Animal Crossing: New Leaf has taken quite a bit of my time.
Again sorry. Also its sooo easy to complain about something you didn't try yourself, right @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen ?

Last edited:

SyphoV2

Smash Cadet
NNID
SyphoV2
3DS FC
1504-5926-1350
I downloaded the Ridley update but don't see anything in the readme on how to incorporate the add-on file. Was it included in this update?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I think that his recovery options are too much. It only takes two jumps (after falling from a stage ledge), up-B and side-B to go from one ledge to the other one in FD.

up-B and side-B alone are enough to recover from pretty much any place. Both options not only travel a good vertical distance but also horizontal.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
On the other hand he should be extremely easy to edgeguard. Just remember that Up-B has a gigantic arc and a rather small hitbox and the Side-B isn't exactly unpredictable either.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
How is that bad? Besides, Boss Characters such as :4bowser:, :4ganondorf: and :4dedede: have high power&defense in Smash Bros....Ridley however ditches defense for speed while maintaining lethal power.

BaganSmashBros did a fine job to "portray" Ridley as a destructive force to be reckoned with.
THAT is how Ridley should be presented in Smash Bros......"Accurate Portrayal of Characters" my spiky tail
Just his Up B, Side B and Nair remind me of MK, that's all. Mostly the Up B

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I downloaded 1.9 but the model still seems to have the Battlefield shading issue. Also, since you guys offered a model without spikes before, could you do the same for the fixed model?

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
The spikes do seem to give Ridley a pretty high poly-count (which makes me lag on dolphin sometimes). Looking closely at his tail though, they could probably be optimized instead of removed for that purpose.

I do agree that Ridley's recovery is too strong, primarily due to the height his up-B and side-B both go (also, you can air-dodge after up-B, I'm sure this isnt intentional).

I regards to a few other things:

-his jump is 7 frames long, which is longer than even Bowser (7). For a character that is supposed to be an air-fighter, that is very slow. 5 frames, like Ganondorf, would be better.

-I know his FSmash/FTilt were once angleable, but that was removed because his range was already very long. I think slightly reducing his range (perhaps by having Ridley not turn as much) while being able to be angled slightly, would be fine.

-strangely, using the C-Stick to perform aerials while not holding a direction will cause Ridley to drift in the direction of whatever aerial he used.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
You should know by now that some characters share similar movesets....*cough* Clones *cough*

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
I do...

I just don't understand why you would make a character more similar to another as you updated them.

"We would have to do some serious convoluted hocus-pocus to make every character unique"......just kidding:p

I don't mind characters sharing some movesets......I mean come on, how do you expect unique moveset when we have 7 sword wielders in Smash?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I do...

I just don't understand why you would make a character more similar to another as you updated them.
Perhaps by accident?
1. I tried, doesn't seem to work.
4. In that case, it might be the case of his thin fingers that gave me the impression.

1. Cool
2. After playing with it a bit more, I think it's fine actually. The range is fairly specific, so it's not as effective to use as a punish as I thought.
3. I was referring to it mainly as a way to make the animation more interesting, since I had noticed the way your hitboxes aligned already made a slight curve. Edit: that or the hitbox viewer is just very strange http://puu.sh/gM111/af3feb1d85.jpg
5. I'm mainly referring to his jab sometimes going over Kirby's head, like so: http://i.gyazo.com/245fb4b49a24b1c586cc90623aa35a0f.gif (Gyazo's fps is bad, sorry)
1. Don't know, it works for me.
3. Hitbox viewer is being weird. Its fine in brawlbox. Anyway, this attack was given a slightly different animation while i was absent.
5. Not sure i can do much about it without making hitboxes too big or making animation weird (by angling his arm down for example).
Huh. I suddenly want Ridley to have a command grab after a glide. But I guess that wouldn't work with Pit slot?
Nope.
<3 <3 <3 the new up B, Nair, side B and Bair

I think the pogo tail is a little too spamable now. You should make the tail a hurtbox for that move (if it isn't), also the tail still goes through platforms really far (more than just the tip going through).

I also think the hitbox on his aerial down B is a little large.

Edit: his over 100% getup attack is really slow (which is fine I think) and I'm not sure if that was intentional.

Great improvements overall, Bagan!
It isn't much different from when it was L-Cancellable (right now, as far as i know, it isn't l-cancellable). I'll try to slow it down. I can't add hurtbox to his tail without messing up Down B's reflector (i tried to do that, but for different reasons and for different parts).
I think its fine. If i would make it smaller, it would be also shorter and it already covers only his legs. Other characters with similar attack have it covering most of their bodies.
It is. But i also nerfed its damage, something i want to fix since it can't hit more than once unless opponent is stupid enough to run into it.
I think that his recovery options are too much. It only takes two jumps (after falling from a stage ledge), up-B and side-B to go from one ledge to the other one in FD.

up-B and side-B alone are enough to recover from pretty much any place. Both options not only travel a good vertical distance but also horizontal.
It always was like that with him (his vertical recovery was nerfed though). I'll remove last part of aerial Side B since its not needed anymore with his improved (not in terms of distance, more as in it doesn't kills Ridley if he isn't FAR enough from the ledge), but thats it. Both recoveries are very predictable (especially Side B since its slow) and don't give any kind of armor. That combined with his size makes edgeguarding against him easy. And im not sure who would go under the stage with him since opponent can move around on the platform faster than he will do it.
MK's Side B is very different from Ridley's since it can be angled and that changes a lot. Animation is similar though.
I downloaded 1.9 but the model still seems to have the Battlefield shading issue. Also, since you guys offered a model without spikes before, could you do the same for the fixed model?
Weird. KJP said it was fixed. I don't have this issue (and i don't think i ever had it), so, i can't do anything about it. And yes, we can. He sent me fixed model without spikes too.
The spikes do seem to give Ridley a pretty high poly-count (which makes me lag on dolphin sometimes). Looking closely at his tail though, they could probably be optimized instead of removed for that purpose.

I do agree that Ridley's recovery is too strong, primarily due to the height his up-B and side-B both go (also, you can air-dodge after up-B, I'm sure this isnt intentional).

I regards to a few other things:

-his jump is 7 frames long, which is longer than even Bowser (7). For a character that is supposed to be an air-fighter, that is very slow. 5 frames, like Ganondorf, would be better.

-I know his FSmash/FTilt were once angleable, but that was removed because his range was already very long. I think slightly reducing his range (perhaps by having Ridley not turn as much) while being able to be angled slightly, would be fine.

-strangely, using the C-Stick to perform aerials while not holding a direction will cause Ridley to drift in the direction of whatever aerial he used.
-He does jumps slowly in Other M, so...
-It was removed more to save space than anything else. And it was his FTilt since making FSmash angleable would be ridicolous. It didn't helped much anyway.
-That is something that has been present since 1.0. Still don't know what causes it.

Were results of SilentDo0m's stream uploaded yet?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
  • Slow walking animation is awesome. Better than my attempt.
  • Medium walking animations looks good, but weird. I am worried about how transition between different walking animations will look like though. I'll try to do something to test how it will look like. I guess fast walking animation can be his current running animation since it has faster pace or whatever its called.
  • New crouching animations look good too. He takes a lot less space like that too.
  • DTilt f*** yeah.
  • Now thumbnail is a lot more accurate to what is shown (except for the lack of spikes on limbs, but that doesn't matters much).

Last edited:

SyphoV2

Smash Cadet
NNID
SyphoV2
3DS FC
1504-5926-1350
As much as I love playing as Ridley, I can't support this mod unless there's an add-on available for the Project M launcher. It's too cumbersome to switch between 3.5 and Ridley through the computer and presents a problem when I go over to friends house and they'd like to switch between 3.5 and Ridley. As an add-on, everything would be seamless and it would all be on the SD card. Hell, the PM team put their WIFI version on there so users wouldn't have to switch back and forth and Bagan doesn't seem all that interested in making the add-on a thing. I went through the files of the download and saw nothing for the add-ons.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Addon released: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208064

Version included: 1.95. Changelog:
  • Fixed Up B getting disabled until he lands even if he is hit.
  • Slightly edited BAir animation.
  • Buffed damage on 100% ledge attack after its unnecessary nerf.
  • Added get hit sounds when he is launched (will probably remove those, i don't know).
  • Added SSE clone...kinda...he will certainly look different from others.
  • Slowed down DAir ground bounce and fixed momentum on it.
  • Side B in the air no longer lifts him, so, its no longer useful for vertical recovery.
  • Things i forgot.
Keep in mind that its just a quick fix and not everything reported is fixed. No readme because...i don't know how to use this thing.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Anyway, i baked up something to see just how awful will transition between SilentDo0m's slow and medium/fast walking animations will be and...they actually look fine and natural. I used my fast walking animation and running animation to test that, so, its very accurate. So, i've got nothing to complain about (at least for walking animations - running animation still has weird wings movement since they go up very high, but don't go down enough) unless transition between walking animations and attacks will be awful. Looking forward to (for?) the results.

Last edited:

SyphoV2

Smash Cadet
NNID
SyphoV2
3DS FC
1504-5926-1350
It looks like you have to drop the rar file in projectm->launcher->adddons. Going to test.

Top Bottom