• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
Dunno. I would like to try at least 2 characters - K.Rool and Zant - but i don't know much about former one and later one has no model that would be good enough for me (closest thing is Falco model hack, but it has a lot of clipping and no cloth physics).
Man, if you did K. Rool I'd go nuts.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Man, if you did K. Rool I'd go nuts.
Even if i won't, there is a guy doing it already: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=37855.0 A lot slower than i do my project and its over Pit too, unfortunately (later one can be fixed since @ PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin made at least one perfectly ported version already and hopefully more will be done). Either way, it would be nice to see The Hype 3 finally be playable in the same game.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I would like to try at least 2 characters - K.Rool and Zant - but i don't know much about former one and later one has no model that would be good enough for me (closest thing is Falco model hack, but it has a lot of clipping and no cloth physics).
K.ROOL!? Oh man you're gonna keep me hyped for a looooong time now!
If you don't know much about K.Rool's overall attacks/history from his games, I'm more than willing to help you out on that!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sadly, the person is using K.Rool's model from the Donkey Kong DS games. His original look from the N64 and Super Nintendo games make him seem more insane and intimidating.
Btw, what is the Hyper 3? I assume two of them are K.Rool and Ridley, but the third?...
He uses Brawl trophy T-Posed and then rigged. If it would be from DS games, then it would be a lot lower in quality. Unfortunately, there are no other models that look similar to his original look that could be used for a SSBB mod and not look bad.
He also had tail in those days like a normal crocodile should have.
Hype 3 includes K.Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo since they were the most requested characters for SSB4.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
He uses Brawl trophy T-Posed and then rigged. If it would be from DS games, then it would be a lot lower in quality. Unfortunately, there are no other models that look similar to his original look that could be used for a SSBB mod and not look bad.
He also had tail in those days like a normal crocodile should have.
Hype 3 includes K.Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo since they were the most requested characters for SSB4.
We can only hope someone out there creates a fantastic looking model of retro K.Rool before (and IF) you begin to work on it.

I'll never understand Sakurai logic. When you look at various fighting games featuring crossovers, like Dissidia or Gundam VS Maxi Boost, you clearly see one thing they're getting right: each hero gets his/her respective villain/rival in the game. This crucial and obvious detail is thrown out the window by Sakurai. Obviously, some series like Ice Climbers or Animal Crossing will be impossible to accomplish this, but damn... I think we only got 2 new bad guys for Smash 4:
- Bowser Jr. is so-so, but other franchises have no villain whatsoever and should have been prioritized instead of another Mario villain.
- Dark Pit... the most hurtful addition to Smash. Why would you choose a literal clone (both in story lore and in gameplay) when you had more memorable villains/rivals like Phosphora, Pyron, human Pandora and Thanatos?

If Sakurai was serious about Smash 4 being his last game, then hopefully the next director will be wiser...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Personally I would have preferred Medusa, given she was in the original game as well.

Nonetheless, getting a bit off topic here. As cool as the possibility of future works is, the focus at hand (for this thread at least) should be for Ridley.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Personally I would have preferred Medusa, given she was in the original game as well.

Nonetheless, getting a bit off topic here. As cool as the possibility of future works is, the focus at hand (for this thread at least) should be for Ridley.
I didn't think about Medusa due to her gigantic god-size, same thing about Hades.
I apologize for the off topic discussion. Anxious to see/hear more about Metroid's most memorable villain.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Netplay may not help much because my internet connection is horrible and i can't emulate SSBB at full speed. But i will try to find testers soon.
Well, I'm playing on Netplay regularly so if I were to test, I might find some good players capable and willing of helping out.
Because most importantly we need good spacie players. The spacie matchup decides whether Ridley is god tier or olimar tier.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, I'm playing on Netplay regularly so if I were to test, I might find some good players capable and willing of helping out.
Because most importantly we need good spacie players. The spacie matchup decides whether Ridley is god tier or olimar tier.
And good Jigglypuff players too.

Last victory animation is nearly done (only waiting animation for it is left and coding, but last part is very simple) and soon i will upload it here, with brand new victory fanfare for him brought to you by @themaziest that fits Ridley better.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Even if i won't, there is a guy doing it already: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=37855.0 A lot slower than i do my project and its over Pit too, unfortunately (later one can be fixed since @ PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin made at least one perfectly ported version already and hopefully more will be done). Either way, it would be nice to see The Hype 3 finally be playable in the same game.
Oh, more ports are on the way; ROB is next. Also, all someone has to do to load one of the ports is to change the filenames to match the replaced character (i.e. from FitPit to FitToonLink) and to place the newly renamed files in the corresponding folder. It really can't get any easier than that, and I don't anticipate any issues with any characters except maybe Lucas (lol lucas's module is a pain to work with).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh, more ports are on the way; ROB is next. Also, all someone has to do to load one of the ports is to change the filenames to match the replaced character (i.e. from FitPit to FitToonLink) and to place the newly renamed files in the corresponding folder. It really can't get any easier than that, and I don't anticipate any issues with any characters except maybe Lucas (lol lucas's module is a pain to work with).
It will get a lot harder when it comes to icons and stuff like that. Not that it says much considering how easy it is to just rename files.

Last victory animation done and new victory fanfare added thanks to @themaziest. Here it is: http://www.4shared.com/video/Jg2QADShba/bandicam_2015-01-12_03-23-50-3.html
I messed something up with attributes, so, he should be 20% bigger than he is shown here. No Metroid references here. Taken straight from SSB Crusade 0.9. I also successfuly got aerial Down B from the video back, but i won't show it because the only differences are in something i can't really show.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
It will get a lot harder when it comes to icons and stuff like that. Not that it says much considering how easy it is to just rename files.

Last victory animation done and new victory fanfare added thanks to @themaziest. Here it is: http://www.4shared.com/video/Jg2QADShba/bandicam_2015-01-12_03-23-50-3.html
I messed something up with attributes, so, he should be 20% bigger than he is shown here. No Metroid references here. Taken straight from SSB Crusade 0.9. I also successfuly got aerial Down B from the video back, but i won't show it because the only differences are in something i can't really show.
Oh, I hadn't considered that aspect of it, although you could just include instructions for icon replacement in the release. It would save you the trouble of making five separate common5.pac files.

Also, the new animation looks pretty awesome. I had a feeling that you'd make the most out of the constraints.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh, I hadn't considered that aspect of it, although you could just include instructions for icon replacement in the release. It would save you the trouble of making five separate common5.pac files.
That could work. Just need to find out IDs for replaced characters then.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Purely off of memory, I think these are the indices:

Toon Link: MenSelChr.40X
ROB MenSelChr.34X
Lucas: MenSelChr.25X
Olimar: MenSelChr.24X
Oh, thanks for those.

Some minor stuff i forgot - Classic and All-Stars congratulations/result screens are done.
Classic:

All-Stars:

Classic one is a reference to Super Metroid, but Samus is held horizontally and not by her shoulders and Ridley is noticably bigger here. All-Star one is just Ridley and his clone, nothing really special. When put into actual files, quality is reduced enough for "Congratulations" text to blend in properly.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I'm very happy to see the mod go this far. I assume you'll also include the short cutscene that shows the character doing random things before the Congratulation image appears?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm very happy to see the mod go this far. I assume you'll also include the short cutscene that shows the character doing random things before the Congratulation image appears?
I don't know how to properly record it to match other cutscenes because its constantly changing angle, so, most likely no.

So, with victory animations out of the way, i'll go for taunts. Expect to see weird thing in at least one of 2 unfinished ones.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
There's always the option to ask the PMDT. The main guy behind Waluigi asked them about including his character and they said they weren't looking for any characters. Unless they changed their minds, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
The PMDT prides themselves with doing all of their animations on their own. Though I've seen various "exclusive" animations and concepts in hacks prior to Project M's release.
That being said, unless Bagan is an undercover Project M Dev, the chances of Ridley being officially included are slim. Existent, but slim.
Hence the "unofficial" in the title. If anyone wants him in P:M, they better use a BrawlEx + Project M pack. Those do exist.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
There's always the option to ask the PMDT. The main guy behind Waluigi asked them about including his character and they said they weren't looking for any characters. Unless they changed their minds, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Wasn't there confirmation of Project M making a set of new characters for a future release? I remember the set included Knuckles, Sami from Advance Wars, Issac. There were two more that remained a mystery. Did all of that turn out to be fake though?
In any case, if they are adding new characters, but refuse to put BaganSmashBros's Ridley, it'll literally be the most wtf moment.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The PMDT prides themselves with doing all of their animations on their own. Though I've seen various "exclusive" animations and concepts in hacks prior to Project M's release.
That being said, unless Bagan is an undercover Project M Dev, the chances of Ridley being officially included are slim. Existent, but slim.
Hence the "unofficial" in the title. If anyone wants him in P:M, they better use a BrawlEx + Project M pack. Those do exist.
I wouldn't say "slim". After getting completly disconfirmed with no hope of DLC, it would be logical to lure more players with what they will not get in next few years. He will be 2nd Mewtwo, except he never was playable, so, there would be no "just go play Melee" option. So, i'd say his chances are high.
So wait. how do i get this in project m?
Once it gets released, follow instructions in the readme that will be included.
Wasn't there confirmation of Project M making a set of new characters for a future release? I remember the set included Knuckles, Sami from Advance Wars, Issac. There were two more that remained a mystery. Did all of that turn out to be fake though?
In any case, if they are adding new characters, but refuse to put BaganSmashBros's Ridley, it'll literally be the most wtf moment.
It included more than that and only 1 was left either unnamed or...i wouldn't tell who, but barely any work was done on that character to cement a spot. I won't tell was leak with Knuckles and Sami true or who leaked characters are because i respect PMBR. Lets just say that one of them is a bulls**t decision, another one is one of the most requested characters and 2 others are...dunno who since im not familar with them.

While trying to find what could be used for remaining taunts, i decided to make ledge animations. For now, ledge grab, hanging, pre-100% attack and jump are done. I will show both pre-100% and 100% attacks once they are done.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I wouldn't say "slim". After getting completly disconfirmed with no hope of DLC, it would be logical to lure more players with what they will not get in next few years. He will be 2nd Mewtwo, except he never was playable, so, there would be no "just go play Melee" option. So, i'd say his chances are high.
The thing about that is, even though you might believe it would be the logical thing to do, it doesn't mean it will be done. You might say it makes perfect sense to add Ridley in Project M, but the PMDT might not even care about adding him. They might not even add the leaked characters, because at the end of the day the devs will do what they want with their mod.
Ridley's chances of being added officially are slim. His chances of being added UNOFFICIALLY, however, are infinite, because people like myself wouldn't hesitate to add this PSA to P:M using a P:M + BrawlEx pack, because it is a gorgeous PSA and a lot of time and effort was put into it.
Of course, if you strongly feel the PMDT will add this character, that's on you. In no way can I alter your thoughts. But the way I see it, those guys might not add this PSA, and whoever wants to use it would have to either replace Pit or add him with BrawlEx, which is truly not that hard to do.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The thing about that is, even though you might believe it would be the logical thing to do, it doesn't mean it will be done. You might say it makes perfect sense to add Ridley in Project M, but the PMDT might not even care about adding him. They might not even add the leaked characters, because at the end of the day the devs will do what they want with their mod.
Ridley's chances of being added officially are slim. His chances of being added UNOFFICIALLY, however, are infinite, because people like myself wouldn't hesitate to add this PSA to P:M using a P:M + BrawlEx pack, because it is a gorgeous PSA and a lot of time and effort was put into it.
Of course, if you strongly feel the PMDT will add this character, that's on you. In no way can I alter your thoughts. But the way I see it, those guys might not add this PSA, and whoever wants to use it would have to either replace Pit or add him with BrawlEx, which is truly not that hard to do.
That would be a missed opportunity then that may not be as bad as SSB4's, but still not a good thing. At least, like you said, we will still have him, even if he won't be as good as Project M's characters.
THIS PSA - of course chances are very slim. And there are more options for replacement thanks to PyotrLuzhin (ROB, Olimar, Toon Link and maybe others).

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
That would be a missed opportunity then that may not be as bad as SSB4's, but still not a good thing. At least, like you said, we will still have him, even if he won't be as good as Project M's characters.
THIS PSA - of course chances are very slim. And there are more options for replacement thanks to PyotrLuzhin (ROB, Olimar, Toon Link and maybe others).
Oh, I'm sure this PSA will be as good as the rest of the P:M movesets. I, for one, am incredibly eager to play this Ridley. Especially since I was a Ridley naysayer. Your hack has given the playability of Ridley a lot more credibility.
And hey, if Ridley DOES get included in P:M by some sudden change of heart, all the better for you! It would be a big statement on how well you made this hack, as well as on the PMDT's decision making.

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
You can't replace cutscenes with the SD Loader hack method, which is what Project M uses. The only way to replace Brawl cutscenes is using Riivolution and WiiScrubber, if I recall correctly.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You can't replace cutscenes with the SD Loader hack method, which is what Project M uses. The only way to replace Brawl cutscenes is using Riivolution and WiiScrubber, if I recall correctly.
It is possible to replace cutscenes that go before those "Congratulations" screens.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ledge animations done except for most of slow ledge animations.
Pre-100% ledge attack:

Animation doesn't just snaps into aerial position - its gif framerate issues. Spikes opponent into explosion's radius. Damage isn't too high - Ganondorf deals 10% with his pre-100% ledge attack. Hard to predict since it starts very similar to...every other fast ledge animation.

Blur always appears and tail always goes back into same position before striking again. Its just gif framerate issues again. Tail can hit opponents touching the tail blade even when it still haven't reached platform he is hanging from, but tail base does nothing. If opponent has reliable spiking attacks, then Ridley is screwed if he misses.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Pre-100% ledge attack:

Animation doesn't just snaps into aerial position - its gif framerate issues. Spikes opponent into explosion's radius. Damage isn't too high - Ganondorf deals 10% with his pre-100% ledge attack. Hard to predict since it starts very similar to...every other fast ledge animation.

Blur always appears and tail always goes back into same position before striking again. Its just gif framerate issues again. Tail can hit opponents touching the tail blade even when it still haven't reached platform he is hanging from, but tail base does nothing. If opponent has reliable spiking attacks, then Ridley is screwed if he misses.

I like how you made very unique approaches to the ledge attacks, but would the attacks be interrupt-able by a speedy smasher?

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Pre-100% ledge attack:

Awesome. :)

Question what other animations do you have to make/fix?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I like how you made very unique approaches to the ledge attacks, but would the attacks be interrupt-able by a speedy smasher?
Only 100% ledge attack since during fast one, Ridley is completly invincible for most of the animation, like every other character. Even then, he will not suddenly teleport to the ledge if something happens.
Awesome. :)

Question what other animations do you have to make/fix?
Down Smash (make it look like Metroid Prime Meta Ridley's tail attack, medium and fast walking animations (only slow one is done even though he goes very fast, but that was fixed), get hit animations, side and up taunts, item animations and misc animations like sleeping and swimming animations.

Top Bottom