• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I like how you made very unique approaches to the ledge attacks, but would the attacks be interrupt-able by a speedy smasher?
If it's not gif frame rate issues you can see that the invincibility goes away after the first strike for the post 100% ledge attack. So yes.

:4greninja:'D :(

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice

Blur always appears and tail always goes back into same position before striking again. Its just gif framerate issues again. Tail can hit opponents touching the tail blade even when it still haven't reached platform he is hanging from, but tail base does nothing. If opponent has reliable spiking attacks, then Ridley is screwed if he misses.
Really, really cool ledge attacks! The only problem I see with the post-100% attack, is that the most casual player will simply need to dodge roll the first tail stab to have direct access to Ridley, making the other two stabs completely useless.

Is it possible to simply change the order of the stabs? As in, make the first stab hit the farthest, and the last one hit closest to Ridley? Any enemy who's waiting at a far distance in case Ridley does the ''roll recovery'' animation will get the first tail stab right under them. Since he is invincible during the first few frames, opponents won't be able to hurt him even if they're right next to him. By the time the invincibility is gone, the 2nd or 3rd stabs, closest to Ridley, might hurt them or force them to dodge, giving Ridley an opening to safely get back on stage. Or another solution to this would be to simply increase the speed of the current animation to make the ledge attack trickier to dodge?

This ledge attack has potential for decent mindgames, or perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way and it's actually fine the way it is? Nevertheless, the animation is impressive BaganSmashBros!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Really, really cool ledge attacks! The only problem I see with the post-100% attack, is that the most casual player will simply need to dodge roll the first tail stab to have direct access to Ridley, making the other two stabs completely useless.

Is it possible to simply change the order of the stabs? As in, make the first stab hit the farthest, and the last one hit closest to Ridley? Since he is invincible during the first few frames, opponents won't be able to hurt him even if they're right next to him. By the time the invincibility is gone, the 2nd or 3rd stabs, closest to Ridley, might hurt them or force them to dodge, giving Ridley an opening to safely get back on stage. Or another solution to this would be to simply increase the speed of the current animation to make the ledge attack trickier to dodge?

Perhaps I'm looking at the ledge attack the wrong way and it's actually fine the way it is? Nevertheless, the animation is impressive BaganSmashBros!
Opponent will have to be small enough to not get hit by the 2nd strike. If i would reverse order, same would happen, except timing will be different (right when he starts instead of waiting for him to prepare tail for 2nd strike).

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Opponent will have to be small enough to not get hit by the 2nd strike. If i would reverse order, same would happen, except timing will be different (right when he starts instead of waiting for him to prepare tail for 2nd strike).
I see. In my mind, it somehow seemed like it'd be more challenging to dodge Ridley's attack by reversing it. You know how sometimes an opponent safely waits at a distance to either avoid the ledge attack or to catch you at the very end of the ledge roll recovery? I was thinking if the first tail stab hits the farthest away from Ridley, right where the enemy would potentially wait, it would ruin that strategy (either it forces the enemy to roll towards Ridley and into the next two stabs, or rolls backwards and gives Ridley the safety to climb back on stage).

Anyways, keep up the amazing work. Anxious to see how a sleeping Ridley looks like.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
I love how you give originality to something as basic as ledge attack. This mod is looking very good, and I'm honored that you kept my rendition of Ridley's theme for your PSA.

Really eager to see the whole moveset in action!

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Ridley vs. Ganondorf vs. Bowser vs. Mewtwo

I can't remember the last time a Smash match has been so much fun.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Small update: in last two days, i finished 24 get hit animations out of ~52 and 9 item animations. This is just great. All i can really say is that he is in exact same pose as in Other M when lying down on the back (except his wings are in a bit different pose) and he looks really weird when swinging hammer:

There won't be anything hype-worthy since all of attacks that really mattered were done, but one animation will be worth looking at.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Small update: in last two days, i finished 24 get hit animations out of ~52 and 9 item animations. This is just great. All i can really say is that he is in exact same pose as in Other M when lying down on the back (except his wings are in a bit different pose) and he looks really weird when swinging hammer:

There won't be anything hype-worthy since all of attacks that really mattered were done, but one animation will be worth looking at.
Holy crap, there are 52 hurt animations? Now I understand why you said you were only 60% finished...

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Neutral, low, mid and high versions for almost all damage-related animations add up pretty quick.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Holy crap, there are 52 hurt animations? Now I understand why you said you were only 60% finished...
Nah, thats not exactly why. After those, there are item animations and there are even more of those...AND THEN there are misc animations like swimming and floor teching.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

The thought of Ridley swinging a hammer is hilarious.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Either make Ridley hop with his right foot or also animate it to move up and down like his left leg.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Small update:

I added yet another reference to Ridley's role in Metroid games - when he is KOed anyhow in stamina mode, so, 999HP matches will end in a glorious way...if AI won't crash the game...Amount of explosions was cut in half after this screenshot.

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Small update:

I added yet another reference to Ridley's role in Metroid games - when he is KOed anyhow in stamina mode, so, 999HP matches will end in a glorious way...if AI won't crash the game...Amount of explosions was cut in half after this screenshot.
gotta have that classic every-boss-explodes-when-they-die integrated, must be high blood pressure

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
gotta have that classic every-boss-explodes-when-they-die integrated, must be high blood pressure
Or he just ate something wrong right before Zero Mission and Super Metroid fights with him.

All get hit animations required for serious matches without items are done, so, we are even closer! Have this for now:

This is side taunt. He steps back and then makes "Come and get some" gesture, like Captain Falcon during his side taunt, but in a more...gentle way, all of that while laughing. Then he roars like during one of the victory animations, but it doesn't lasts that long and he doesn't moves much. It shows that Ridley is both intelligent and a beast. Up taunt is nothing really special (just him roaring at the screen/background while flapping wings).

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Very good stuff. I am really excited for this. It's good to see people make PSAs that are thought out and well done, as well as people dedicated to making good work.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****. This needs to end up in PM 4.0, seriously.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
75% Hype.
Do you have a new estimate for remaining time?

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Or he just ate something wrong right before Zero Mission and Super Metroid fights with him.

All get hit animations required for serious matches without items are done, so, we are even closer! Have this for now:

This is side taunt. He steps back and then makes "Come and get some" gesture, like Captain Falcon during his side taunt, but in a more...gentle way, all of that while laughing. Then he roars like during one of the victory animations, but it doesn't lasts that long and he doesn't moves much. It shows that Ridley is both intelligent and a beast. Up taunt is nothing really special (just him roaring at the screen/background while flapping wings).
first its a CF-like taunt,then he says YESSS!!!!, then he transforms into Captain Falcon.
I call it Falconization,happened to poor Ganon who was joking and did the "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!" taunt once,now look at him.Poor sap (and Ridley).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
75% Hype.
Do you have a new estimate for remaining time?
Its same as before. January-February.
first its a CF-like taunt,then he says YESSS!!!!, then he transforms into Captain Falcon.
I call it Falconization,happened to poor Ganon who was joking and did the "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!" taunt once,now look at him.Poor sap (and Ridley).
Fox has same taunt and it looks more like Ridley's. So...No items, Ridley only, Norfair?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Why not use a "if facing right/if facing left" code and make it so that he's always facing the screen?
Because he doesn't fully turns while doing it, so, he will suddenly turn around either before or after taunting if this code is used. If you mean like use a separate animation with him turning to opposite side while roaring, then it doesn't needs a code, but im not sure i can afford it with the file size limit.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
If you mean like use a separate animation with him turning to opposite side while roaring, then it doesn't needs a code, but im not sure i can afford it with the file size limit.
Forgot that taunts have L and R versions already coded in.

Have you tried using the clean function in 0.71? Im assuming you have, but just incase use it again. Helped out alot when I was animating Ganondorf.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Forgot that taunts have L and R versions already coded in.

Have you tried using the clean function in 0.71? Im assuming you have, but just incase use it again. Helped out alot when I was animating Ganondorf.
Doesn't it ruins the animation by removing "redundant" keyframes even if they are required to keep it...stable? Because i tried using it in later versions and it either did nothing that 0.68b couldn't or ruined the animation.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I think it might have been older versions. KJP swears by 0.71 for cleaning, and after seeing some of the results, I do too.

Save a copy of your motionetc and give it a shot.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think it might have been older versions. KJP swears by 0.71 for cleaning, and after seeing some of the results, I do too.

Save a copy of your motionetc and give it a shot.
Tried it. Failed to keep quiality. Some animations needed "redundant" keyframes to avoid body parts rotating in wrong way (for example, if arm is set to rotate from 90 to 0, it may go from 90 to 100 to -5 and finally to 0). By some, i mean like half of them.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Once this is released, are you holding something of an open beta? Like, will you still be fixing bugs and the like that people find?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Once this is released, are you holding something of an open beta? Like, will you still be fixing bugs and the like that people find?
Yes. Until everything is fixed, it will be labeled as Unofficial Project M Ridley PSA vX with X being current version.

Speaking of bugs, there is at least one very speciffic bug present on a certain platform of Great Temple and Skyloft i call Massive Ordnance Dwarf Ridley Temple Launch, AKA MODRTL. When Ridley uses ground Side B on that platform, he will suddenly go up until he goes so far only Ridley on black background can be seen and nothing else. It is very speciffic and i don't know how to fix it, so, it may remain for a while.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Tried it. Failed to keep quiality. Some animations needed "redundant" keyframes to avoid body parts rotating in wrong way (for example, if arm is set to rotate from 90 to 0, it may go from 90 to 100 to -5 and finally to 0). By some, i mean like half of them.
Yeah, I get you. Happens to me all the time. It just stopped happening after a while, idk why.

Have you tried cleaning and then fixing up the animations? Have you checked by how much the MotionETC has been decreased? If you do both and in the end get a smaller motionetc file, then it's worth imo. It might take longer, but you'll be able to add more things.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, I get you. Happens to me all the time. It just stopped happening after a while, idk why.

Have you tried cleaning and then fixing up the animations? Have you checked by how much the MotionETC has been decreased? If you do both and in the end get a smaller motionetc file, then it's worth imo. It might take longer, but you'll be able to add more things.
Yes, i tried. What it cleanes that wasn't already cleaned by 0.68 is what keeps animations from getting messed up.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
New ground side B:

It is easier to punish since it has higher start up and he doesn't goes that far, but it can be used for combo set ups now instead of just a way to quickly go into the air or get away from opponent. And i finally found a way to get rid of those gifs' framerate issues, so, now they look better.

Top Bottom