• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
All attacks are finished then. Excellent. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. The original Neutral B attack, the 5 horizontal fireballs, is unavailable due to a bug that crashes the game, and it is currently replaced by the short ranged flamethrower attack. The Wall of fireballs I had suggested earlier, which would have potentially been Neutral B's alternate input (by charging B or pressing A), I assume it was dropped due to the same bug that crashes the normal input. My suggestion was to give it similar mechanics to Urien's Aegis Reflector (slow moving barrier that limits opponent's movement to set up mindgames).

If you ever manage to remove the bug, will you be keeping the short ranged flamethrower as Neutral B's alternate input, or will you attempt to implement the Aegis Firewall? I'm simply curious to know what to expect in the future. If you are content with the short ranged flamethrower, it's all good. The Firewall was just another one of my ideas of implementing into your mod at least 1 attack from every Ridley battle in the Metroid series. Zero Mission Ridley didn't have anything unique except for his shotgun fireball blast (though instead of having his shots spread out with distance, your mod would have kept his fireballs close to each other, forming the slow-moving barrier).

2. The new Ground Side B, does it remove the Massive Ordinance Dwarf Ridley Temple Launch glitch that occurred with the previous Ground Side B? Or does the glitch always happen no matter what attack you implement into Side B, until you find out the cause behind it?

3. May we see the new Down Smash? Even though you didn't choose my favorite of the two ideas I had suggested (Omega Ridley's tail swipe + flamethrower spin), I am nevertheless anxious to see in action the one you chose (Meta Ridley's peek-a-boo tail swipe) :).

4. Seeing as how Warzenschwein is posting previews of your mod, I assume he'll be making the final showcase video? And the glitch with Mario being stuck inside Ridley, is it fixable?

That's all my questions. Good luck on the following days!
1. I will leave it as alternate imput and attempt to implement just 5 fireballs in a row and that firewall. It seems that articles are not just generated in certain position and are generated on a certain bone, so, just rotating Ridley's head would most likely shoot fireballs in different directions. I'll try to mess around with PM Pit's neutral special to see is it true or not. If it is...then i just wasted several hours trying to properly pose giant fireball from Lucario version of this mod.
2. I found a solution for this and know why it happened (its ground/air state was set as 17, which allows character to move in any direction according to the animation without carrying any momentum instead of going only horizontally), but then he couldn't move up, making this attack less useful.
3. Here:

4. Yes.
That glitch is fixable and i know why it happened and how to fix it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yes, I'm in the process of making more. Due to unforeseen personal issues, I've been on a bit of a hiatus. Hopefully it will all be resolved soon so that I can release the ports over ROB, Lucas and Olimar.
I have a lot of time, so, take your time and deal with those issues.

...I'll just say that something epic is coming up very soon. Not from me, but it is related to something i made.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
...I'll just say that something epic is coming up very soon. Not from me, but it is related to something i made.
It's either an amazing alternate costume, or Project M's development team made this mod part of their next update, or it's a preview of the next character BaganSmashBros might work on. I can't think of anything else. Very curious...
2. I found a solution for this and know why it happened (its ground/air state was set as 17, which allows character to move in any direction according to the animation without carrying any momentum instead of going only horizontally), but then he couldn't move up, making this attack less useful.
So from what I understood, you found a solution, but in the process of fixing it, the new Ground Side B has become less useful than anticipated?

Speaking of Ground Side B, I showed a friend of mine the attack and he pointed out that it's near identical to Meta Knight's Side B. I cannot unsee it anymore lol. I don't think it's much of a bother anyways, but if you ever decide to make it visually different, perhaps he could simply dash through like Meta Ridley? Something I noticed when watching the boss fight is that he bites down consecutively at the end of the dash. Maybe you could have him bite repeatedly during the dash or spin? If you decide to keep Ridley spinning during Side B, it'd be visually neat to have his tail spin like a spring coil as he moves forward (not sure if you'll understand that last bit). The tail spinning during Side B could slightly damage opponents that end up touching his tail when trying to dodge his main body.

Nice job on the Down Smash!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It's either an amazing alternate costume, or Project M's development team made this mod part of their next update, or it's a preview of the next character BaganSmashBros might work on. I can't think of anything else. Very curious...
So from what I understood, you found a solution, but in the process of fixing it, the new Ground Side B has become less useful than anticipated?

Speaking of Ground Side B, I showed a friend of mine the attack and he pointed out that it's near identical to Meta Knight's Side B. I cannot unsee it anymore lol. I don't think it's much of a bother anyways, but if you ever decide to make it visually different, perhaps he could simply dash through like Meta Ridley? Something I noticed when watching the boss fight is that he bites down consecutively at the end of the dash. Maybe you could have him bite repeatedly during the dash or spin? If you decide to keep Ridley spinning during Side B, it'd be visually neat to have his tail spin like a spring coil as he moves forward (not sure if you'll understand that last bit). The tail spinning during Side B could slightly damage opponents that end up touching his tail when trying to dodge his main body.

Nice job on the Down Smash!
Not that epic. Maybe i should have chosen different word ("awesome" for example). But it is worth watching.

Yes. Just a simple dash is aerial version. Ground version looks more like Charizard's Dragon Rush custom move from SSB4 than Meta Knight's Side B since it can't be aimed, always goes on same distance and it is a lot stronger. Just making him bite won't look right on this scale.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
New video showcase by one of the testers, @ Warzenschwein Warzenschwein .
It is not like previous video and more like a Project M trailer (except with less fancy video editing and not completly flawless), but it is worth watching.

10 out of 59 animations done. Only item animations done.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I wish cursing was allowed on this forum, I convey excitement and amazement better using foul language.
I hope everyone who follows this thread, who has seen the progression of this character, can appreciate it and be astounded by it, because this is definitely one of the better mods out there, if not one of THE best. This is absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Ridley definitely seems a bit speedy considering the size and range of the hitboxes for his attacks, but you've already stated that balancing is planned for after his initial completion, so I'm not too concerned.

Honestly this looks far better than I initially anticipated, even though I've been following this thread for quite some time. Seeing all the new animations in action makes it clear just how amazing an accomplishment this is to have nearly completed a PSA of such quality in just a few months. I certainly look forward to the release day.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Oh
My
God.
Too much hype.
We need the Derrit or something to come over here this is so good it's newsworthy.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
The more I see it, the more I dislike the Front Smash animation.

Idk why, I just seem to dislike it lol.

invisibleman

Smash Apprentice
AWWWWW YEAH! One question though. is there going to be a port over jigglypuff? Seems she will be made obsolete with Ridley here.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
AWWWWW YEAH! One question though. is there going to be a port over jigglypuff? Seems she will be made obsolete with Ridley here.
We were worrying about that too, lol. Ridley's Fair is harder to hit than Jigglypuff's Bair though. + Ridley doesn't have Rest. Who knows, perhaps Jiggs is a Ridley hard-counter because she can evade his aerial combos and rest him for free since he's a fatass.

This definitely needs testing.

EDIT: Of course making Jiggs a Ridley hard counter isn't exactly what you'd want... I think the difference in size alone could prevent Jigglypuff to get overshadowed by Ridley but as I said, this needs to be tested. That's why PM should adopt this mod so they can deal with all the balancing, lo lololol /s

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The brutal ruthless dragon captain of wanted interplanetary pirates,
VS
A small cute round creature.
The outcome? Uncertain.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
The brutal ruthless dragon captain of wanted interplanetary pirates,
VS
A small cute round creature.
The outcome? Uncertain.
This is where the popularity of Smash Bros. comes from in the first place.

You can beat up the Great King of Evil with an italian plumber, kick a space dragon's butt with a narcoleptic marshmallow...

00:10
The Smash 4 match-up everyone wanted to see....
At least we are 50% there :p
There was supposed to be a villain match video. Ridley vs. Ganondorf vs. Bowser vs. Mewtwo.
Sadly, my PC can't take 4 player Dolphin + OBS at the same time, lol...
Looks like I might have to get myself a new rig someday...

Last edited:

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Awesome presentation Warzenschwein.

Could you show in greater detail the benefits of his Down-B? Do you think it is a viable move?

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Awesome presentation Warzenschwein.

Could you show in greater detail the benefits of his Down-B? Do you think it is a viable move?
Hmm, that's one of the few moves I'm not entirely sure about right now but it seems to have potential.

Aerial Down-B is a kill move but obviously extremely predictable. And it doesn't snap to the ledge like e. g. Bowser's.

The grounded Down-B (the purple aura) might come in handy when Ridley is at high percent. It won't protect you from strong Smash Attacks but you'll be shielded against weak combo starters. Also, it reflects projectiles. Always. Characters like Falco and Samus for example might have a hard time dealing with this since it negates some of their most potent tools.

The downside is that your movement is significantly hampered. Wavedashing has unconvenient timing and is overall worse, no l-canceling, weaker aerial mobility... would not recommend if you want to kill your character since Ridley has few potent grounded kill moves.

Startup got buffed and when interrupted early you'll keep the armor so you might want to use it whenever you get the opportunity and have to deal with pressure. You can still rack up damage with throws and long ranged tilts but getting the kill will definitely be harder.

I think it's relatively good. Naturally, more testing is needed. Who knows, it might become useless in a more developed metagame. That's hard to say right now without having played any matches against real players...

Last edited:

megamanofnumbers

Smash Cadet
Jesus this looks amazing. One problem though, you should really find more voice effects for Ridley. I don't think I'd be comfortable with him making the same sound for his attacks. Also, HOLY CRUD THAT PRIORITY! You wouldn't mind cranking it down, would you? Last we need is another Brawl Snake God Tier issue.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
One problem though, you should really find more voice effects for Ridley
I'd like to work with Bagan to solve this issue. It would effectively be very annoying to always hear the same sound for every attack. But I'm sure we can find good alternatives for our beloved space dragon.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
We were worrying about that too, lol. Ridley's Fair is harder to hit than Jigglypuff's Bair though. + Ridley doesn't have Rest. Who knows, perhaps Jiggs is a Ridley hard-counter because she can evade his aerial combos and rest him for free since he's a fatass.

This definitely needs testing.

EDIT: Of course making Jiggs a Ridley hard counter isn't exactly what you'd want... I think the difference in size alone could prevent Jigglypuff to get overshadowed by Ridley but as I said, this needs to be tested. That's why PM should adopt this mod so they can deal with all the balancing, lo lololol /s
Jigglypuff could be easily replaced, so if there's enough demand, I'll make a .rel for Ridley over Jigglypuff as well.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff could be easily replaced, so if there's enough demand, I'll make a .rel for Ridley over Jigglypuff as well.
I actually play Jigglypuff and loathe Pit so it's okay as it is now. And she's more important for testing.

Feel free to do so if there's demand. (There probably will be after the release!)

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Whoops. This one heheheh...
Beautiful. Astounding. Wonderful.

Sadly, I'm already disappointed in the comment section on the video. Hard to believe there's people who are saying such things like ''too big'' or ''too floaty'' without even mentioning the positive points of the mod. Positive points like the animations, the victory pose from Super Metroid, etc.

Sigh.

The more I see it, the more I dislike the Front Smash animation.

Idk why, I just seem to dislike it lol.
After seeing it in action, I think it seems too similar to his Tilt Forward A. I like the power, and I love the reach, whether it's unbalanced though will be determined by the testers. The gif of the Front Smash (where he uses it against Charizard) shows Ridley charging up the move by spinning his tail ala Super Metroid/Zero Mission/Fusion, which I really loved but sadly I didn't realize until today that it's completely absent when you dont charge it.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah...just reading these comments on Reddit about Bagan's mod made me want to facepalm. Hard.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2tbbq9/ridley_in_project_m/

If only people could be more open-minded about the things in life, instead of isolating themselves from others with their own subjective opinions, the world could be a better place.

But I digress. This is a fantastic mod all around, though I'm a bit worried from looking at some of Ridley's aerial moves. They seem a little too fast for someone as powerful as him.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
The Reddit comments are fairly tame, aren't they?
People are expressing their scepticism because Ridley is a very unconventional character, that's natural.

Also it's hard to judge a character when everything you've seen is a (fairly mediocre) montage where he wrecks some clueless CPUs, lol. His weaknesses can't be properly displayed like this and you can't get the idea of how it feels to actually play as him.

The YT comments however... sheesh.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You people must be new to the Ridley scene if the subhumans who consider themselves "Anti-Ridley" are getting to you. It's something you learn to ignore, because it's an opinion founded entirely upon ignorance and stupidity. I'd wager that 99% of people who don't want/can't see Ridley being playable have never played a Metroid game and probably never will.

It looks fantastic, Bagan. The victory animation, in particular, had me peeing my pants in Metroidian bliss. There is one issue I have, however, and it's that it seems that nearly every attack has Ridley doing the same hissy roar. Even under the music it got repetitive and annoying.

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
Some of you guys are taking this way too personally, chill. Anyway, great video preview. It does need nerfing, in my opinion, but it looks very polished all the same.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
The Reddit comments are fairly tame, aren't they?
People are expressing their scepticism because Ridley is a very unconventional character, that's natural.

Also it's hard to judge a character when everything you've seen is a (fairly mediocre) montage where he wrecks some clueless CPUs, lol. His weaknesses can't be properly displayed like this and you can't get the idea of how it feels to actually play as him.

The YT comments however... sheesh.
May I suggest making a video where you carefully explain the mechanics behind Ridley? For example, you show how his Down Smash and Forward Smash work with the whole ''tail tip = full damage'' and you compare it to when any other part of the tail hits. In the same video, you could carefully show each individual attack.

Have you ever checked out Gaijin Hunter? He's a guy currently posting videos on how weapons work in a game called Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and I feel if your next video explains every Ridley attack similar to how Gaijin Hunter does, it may have more positive results.

Here's a link to it, in case you're curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxO7xOYqS8

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
The fact that everyone here is giving the negative comments attention is just as bad as the negativity itself.
The fact of the matter is that people are simply going to hate on stuff, like this mod. If people don't like it, they won't use it. If they do, they will.
The sad reality is that people will talk trash because they can, even if there's absolutely no grounds to do so. What does matter is how good the mod is, not the haters.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
May I suggest making a video where you carefully explain the mechanics behind Ridley? For example, you show how his Down Smash and Forward Smash work with the whole ''tail tip = full damage'' and you compare it to when any other part of the tail hits. In the same video, you could carefully show each individual attack.

Have you ever checked out Gaijin Hunter? He's a guy currently posting videos on how weapons work in a game called Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, and I feel if your next video explains every Ridley attack similar to how Gaijin Hunter does, it may have more positive results.

Here's a link to it, in case you're curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxO7xOYqS8
I'd love to do that, however, I'd like to wait a little bit because the mod's changing all the time. The fireball Neutral B doesn't work yet for example and couldn't be tested in the slightest.

Regarding the negative comments:
As long as they don't decrease the, already slim, chances of an official PM Ridley, I don't really care. But yeah, I sometimes feel that people aren't open-minded enough. Especially when it comes to his size.

To be honest, I never felt like Ridley was too big in this mod, his size seems to be ideal here.

Last edited:

megamanofnumbers

Smash Cadet
I'd also like to make a note that, just from those high res images on page one, the model for Ridley is flipping amazing! The bright colors, the high quality textures. Everything is brilliant.

Top Bottom