• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
It has longest start up out of all jab combos in Project M (20+ frames compared to everyone's instant hit and Bowser's ~5 frames) and knockback was reduced after i made that gif. Im trying to make him laggy on the ground and ridicolously powerful in the air, but he has absolutely no super armor and is a middle weight character and is a large target. While he can't be as easily comboed as characters like Bowser because he isn't heavy, he still won't last for long. 3 Falcon Punches, 2 Warlock Punches, 2 Bowser side smashes and i think 3-5 DK Punches were enough to KO him from the center of Final Destination.

That doesn't works like this. You can't replace anyone with anything. I used Lucario because he has a chargable projectile, the only final smash that would fit Ridley other than Zero Lazer and a command grab, which means i can go nuts with moveset and i won't have to use fake projectiles. If i would use Olimar, there would be pikmins following him and overall quality would be a lot lower.
Well that isn't exactly what I'd call balance since you can work around those "weaknesses" very easily. A poor approach or vulnerability to pressure is more like it.

I wasn't saying I would have Masked Man over Olimar. I was saying I would make Masked Man and make/find something to replace Olimar becuz Olimar sucks.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well that isn't exactly what I'd call balance since you can work around those "weaknesses" very easily. A poor approach or vulnerability to pressure is more like it.

I wasn't saying I would have Masked Man over Olimar. I was saying I would make Masked Man and make/find something to replace Olimar becuz Olimar sucks.
Aren't attacks with long start up or end lag considered to be a poor approach? And how can' they be worked around? End lag isn't an issue only in turbo mode.

I said that you can't replace anyone with anything because modding limitations don't allow that. So, if someone would be put over Olimar, that character would have no true projectiles and would have pikmins following him.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Aren't attacks with long start up or end lag considered to be a poor approach? And how can' they be worked around? End lag isn't an issue only in turbo mode.

I said that you can't replace anyone with anything because modding limitations don't allow that. So, if someone would be put over Olimar, that character would have no true projectiles and would have pikmins following him.
I don't think anyone approaches with jab so no: having a poor SHFFL, bad/no projectile, and bad range is a poor approach.

I understand what you meant.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone approaches with jab so no: having a poor SHFFL, bad/no projectile, and bad range is a poor approach.

I understand what you meant.
Jab isn't the only attack with such start up or end lag. Every ground attack has either long start up or long end lag and in most cases limited in vertical range. And i don't know will he have SHFFL or not.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Jab isn't the only attack with such start up or end lag. Every ground attack has either long start up or long end lag and in most cases limited in vertical range. And i don't know will he have SHFFL or not.
That doesn't seem to show in his dash attack and Samus is the only character who by definition, can't SHFFL because she's floaty and has a big short hop but you probably know this.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That doesn't seem to show in his dash attack and Samus is the only character who by definition, can't SHFFL because she's floaty and has a big short hop but you probably know this.
His dash attack has 10 frames of start up and 25 frames of end lag and, so, perfect/power shielding and then punishing it is pretty easy. His running speed is also low, so, it is predictable.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
His dash attack has 10 frames of start up and 25 frames of end lag and, so, perfect/power shielding and then punishing it is pretty easy. His running speed is also low, so, it is predictable.
10 frames is decent. Btw you are going overboard with that sucks on the ground idea. Jiggs has the worst ground game in the game and she has attacks that won't start on frame 30. Having jab be that slow is a terrible idea since you are depriving him of a jab reset and a... well... jab. Even someone who can't do anything against pressure like Ganon has a jab.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
10 frames is decent. Btw you are going overboard with that sucks on the ground idea. Jiggs has the worst ground game in the game and she has attacks that won't start on frame 30. Having jab be that slow is a terrible idea since you are depriving him of a jab reset and a... well... jab. Even someone who can't do anything against pressure like Ganon has a jab.
He isn't the slowest character, but he is just not very good on the ground. His running speed is not result of me trying to make him mediocre on the ground - he has exactly same speed in Other M. But since he is smaller, it looks slower. His attacks, if they hit, hit really hard and his throws have high damage and knockback. Im basing him off Other M, where he had same issues with start up and end lag, but his attacks deal high damage and most of them kill Samus in one hit on hard mode. Also, i have to somehow balance out his aerial combat.
Ganon's jab hits only once and has end lag issues. It also has horrible range.

I personally hated idea of Ridley being as bad on the ground as Little Mac is in the air. He needs to be just mediocre, like Bowser.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
He isn't the slowest character, but he is just not very good on the ground. His running speed is not result of me trying to make him mediocre on the ground - he has exactly same speed in Other M. But since he is smaller, it looks slower. His attacks, if they hit, hit really hard and his throws have high damage and knockback. Im basing him off Other M, where he had same issues with start up and end lag, but his attacks deal high damage and most of them kill Samus in one hit on hard mode. Also, i have to somehow balance out his aerial combat.
Ganon's jab hits only once and has end lag issues. It also has horrible range.

I personally hated idea of Ridley being as bad on the ground as Little Mac is in the air. He needs to be just mediocre, like Bowser.
The really slow but strong character design is terrible and Bowser is very good on the ground with his up b, crouch down tilt, forward tilt, and what not. Both Meleee Bowser and Brawl Ganon tried that design, and look at their placement. Brawl Ganon has great combos and mixups but he's too slow. Ganon's jab is his fastest and most lagless move and is meant for breaking combos/stopping approaches ( close range ) among other things like following up after side b.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The really slow but strong character design is terrible and Bowser is very good on the ground with his up b, crouch down tilt, forward tilt, and what not. Both Meleee Bowser and Brawl Ganon tried that design, and look at their placement. Brawl Ganon has great combos and mixups but he's too slow. Ganon's jab is his fastest and most lagless move and is meant for breaking combos/stopping approaches ( close range ) among other things like following up after side b.
But unlike Ridley, they aren't good in the air. Aerial combat is main part of Ridley. Compared to ground attacks, aerial attacks are nearly lagless while still having high damage and knockback. But he is also floaty and has no safe way to attack opponents directly below him (pogo tail and aerial down b can hit them, but pogo tail if misses and down b will return him to the ground and have same end lag issue).

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
But unlike Ridley, they aren't good in the air. Aerial combat is main part of Ridley. Compared to ground attacks, aerial attacks are nearly lagless while still having high damage and knockback. But he is also floaty and has no safe way to attack opponents directly below him (pogo tail and aerial down b can hit them, but pogo tail if misses and down b will return him to the ground and have same end lag issue).
Ganon has godlike aerials. WTF are you even saying? Everyone is at a disadvantage when directly above a character.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ganon has godlike aerials. WTF are you even saying? Everyone is at a disadvantage when directly above a character.
They still have end lag issues, so, they are easily punishable. And thunderboots to the face, Bowser's L-cancelled DAir, L-cancelled pogo sword, etc. say otherwise.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
They still have end lag issues, so, they are easily punishable. And thunderboots to the face, Bowser's L-cancelled DAir, L-cancelled pogo sword, etc. say otherwise.
Ganon's aerials don't have end lag problems. Stop talking about things you don't even know about. 4/ 5 of Ganon's aerials autocancel off a short hop. Dude you need to read Sethlon's Roy guide or Tai's Marth guide at Melee it on Me or PPMD's posts or ANYTHING about real spacing and positional advantage and smash theory in general. You got very sweet modding skills but, at least from my point of view, not smash skills. Maybe I SHOULD try PSAing my own character because I only know 1 balanced hack: marioking64's Waluigi. Guys tell me more balanced hacks because I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about PSAs in general.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ganon's aerials don't have end lag problems. Stop talking about things you don't even know about. 4/ 5 of Ganon's aerials autocancel off a short hop. Dude you need to read Sethlon's Roy guide or Tai's Marth guide at Melee it on Me or PPMD's posts or ANYTHING about real spacing and positional advantage and smash theory in general. You got very sweet modding skills but, at least from my point of view, not smash skills. Maybe I SHOULD try PSAing my own character because I only know 1 balanced hack: marioking64's Waluigi. Guys tell me more balanced hacks because I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about PSAs in general.
When far enough from the ground (as in where ground attacks are absolutely useless), they have. After looking at his coding, they aren't that bad (~15 frames), so, here i was wrong, but they look like they last for a lot longer because animation can be interrupted long before it actually ends. I am not a competetive player and try to balance this mod based on just general knowledge of fighting games and not just Smash Bros speciffically. There is nearly no balanced hacks because they don't pay that much attention to stuff and animations are horrible in most cases too. I do. I will still look at those guides to make sure i don't have anything completly wrong.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Leekslap what's the point in trying to attack Bagan for his work? If there are indeed some issues with moves and stuff that can be fixed for layer. For now he's trying his best to make his Ridleh model work.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Leekslap what's the point in trying to attack Bagan for his work? If there are indeed some issues with moves and stuff that can be fixed for layer. For now he's trying his best to make his Ridleh model work.
He is not attacking it. He is just being a critic, but not doing a very good work of it.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
@Leekslap,I think we should wait to a see the finished product before we criticise the balance of BaganSmashBros's work.The rest of the moveset is not even finished yet,so even Bagan cannot be sure if the current moves are balanced.A few gifs are no substitute for living gameplay anyway,and the potential emergence of (un)balance thereof.
Although I'm not a big Ridley supporter,I may go out on a limb and download the finished product,though I've never replaced slots before.It looks quite promising.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
@Leekslap,I think we should wait to a see the finished product before we criticise the balance of BaganSmashBros's work.The rest of the moveset is not even finished yet,so even Bagan cannot be sure if the current moves are balanced.A few gifs are no substitute for living gameplay anyway,and the potential emergence of (un)balance thereof.
Although I'm not a big Ridley supporter,I may go out on a limb and download the finished product,though I've never replaced slots before.It looks quite promising.
Balance is the first thing that should come to anyone's head when making a character otherwise, they may end up too good or too bad. What's the point of finishing a nice looking but broken moveset? I just hoped he had the right idea and the only thing I wanted to prove is good balance. I have high hopes for this mod now. Good Luck Bagan!

red9rd

Smash Ace
Balance is the first thing that should come to anyone's head when making a character otherwise, they may end up too good or too bad. What's the point of finishing a nice looking but broken moveset? I just hoped he had the right idea and the only thing I wanted to prove is good balance. I have high hopes for this mod now. Good Luck Bagan!
You need something to work with first before you balance.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yes, its better to finish stuff and then test against lv9 computer players (sorry, i live too far away from any good Project M player, so, CPU has to be used), then balance based on results and then release nearly finished mod to allow community to help me balance it instead of trying to balance mod while it isn't finished yet.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
New attack finished - Side Smash:

It deals 19% damage when uncharged and tip hits with high knockback and ridicolous 36+ end lag frames. If base of the tail hits, knockback is lowered. When fully charged, damage is, well, you can see it here. If only there was a Ridley recolor for Charizard...

Ezoroth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Generalray
3DS FC
0877-1587-0191
BaganSmashBros,
This mod has been giving me so much hype and has (For the most part) removed the disappointment of ridley not being confirmed for Smash 4.
I was a large ridley supporter cause Metroid is my favorite series and I needed to see it get some love, but Sakurai denied.
I cannot wait until this mod is finished, this is an amazing job and I cannot wait.
All I'm saying is, Keep up the good work, its pretty damn awesome.

-a huge metroid fan.
:samus:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
New attack finished - Side Smash:

It deals 19% damage when uncharged and tip hits with high knockback and ridicolous 36+ end lag frames. If base of the tail hits, knockback is lowered. When fully charged, damage is, well, you can see it here. If only there was a Ridley recolor for Charizard...
Looks good! More of a tail swing at the end would make it look better.

Also, the startup animation made it look like a claw slash first. (didn't notice the spinning tail)
A feint attack with an alternative claw smash would be interesting, hm...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Looks good! More of a tail swing at the end would make it look better.

Also, the startup animation made it look like a claw slash first. (didn't notice the spinning tail)
A feint attack with an alternative claw smash would be interesting, hm...
You mean like Zamus' Whip after unsuccessful grab? Can be done.

It is hard to mistake it for claw slash in-game since there is also swinging sound heard.

Last edited:

kazan

Smash Apprentice
Although I'm totally against Ridley being playable in smash, I find this project to be amazing!
Keep up the good work, Bagan. You are truly gifted (:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Although I'm totally against Ridley being playable in smash, I find this project to be amazing!
Keep up the good work, Bagan. You are truly gifted (:
It's a sign when somebody doesn't support a character being playable but support the work of a person making the character playable.

While on this thread, Bagan, I think in the OP you should add in parenthesis: "( )" what animations are finished and what animations aren't and do that as you move along.

Example: AAA jab - like in previous version. (completed)
Example 2: BAir - same as in previous version, but tail doesn't extends. (unfinished)

Draco_The

Smash Lord
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros Mind telling me the tools you're using (BrawlBox, 3D Max, etc) and the way you're testing it (emulator, cheats, how to setup the SD, PM iso or Brawl with launcher, etc)?

So far I've only done simple model edits and tweaked some moves here and there, but I'd like to try making a character. However all that was a while ago and now I'm kinda lost.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
While on this thread, Bagan, I think in the OP you should add in parenthesis: "( )" what animations are finished and what animations aren't and do that as you move along.

Example: AAA jab - like in previous version. (completed)
Example 2: BAir - same as in previous version, but tail doesn't extends. (unfinished)
This is a good idea. Will update OP soon.
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros Mind telling me the tools you're using (BrawlBox, 3D Max, etc) and the way you're testing it (emulator, cheats, how to setup the SD, PM iso or Brawl with launcher, etc)?

So far I've only done simple model edits and tweaked some moves here and there, but I'd like to try making a character. However all that was a while ago and now I'm kinda lost.
BrawlBox (animations and basically everything else except for real model editing), Dolphin (testing), PM on virtual SD card that done according to tutorial you can easily find, PM launcher and Brawl iso. No cheats used other than those already available in PM files.
Also, @BeganSmashBros, Is there Ridley with victory pose?
Its BaganSmashBros and not yet. I haven't even finished attack animations.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
so, question.. will this mod only be done in the new riddly model? or will we get a regular brawl riddly model version as well?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
so, question.. will this mod only be done in the new riddly model? or will we get a regular brawl riddly model version as well?
Only new model because proportions are too different and brawl model is a lot bigger (2x bigger), so, it can't be used.

Speaking of it, KingJigglypuff/ofChaos/ofDreamland/whatever name he is using right now rescaled model, so, it has normal size now! This means i will have to fix all animations already done. Fortunately, i didn't went too far, so, it won't take more than 3 hours.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ah so the brawl model is resized and you plan on using it? or did i misunderstand lol
No, i won't use it. Brawl model is by default a lot bigger and KJP resized new model.

EDIT: updated OP. Red text with [Not finished yet] - animations and coding aren't finished on this attack; Yellow text with [In-Progress] - this attack is currently being animated and its coding is worked on; Green text with [Done] - attack is fully complete.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Oh, the new OP is great.

It would be even better if you could add gif links to the single attacks for convenience.
I really appreciate your effort, keep going!

Draco_The

Smash Lord
BrawlBox (animations and basically everything else except for real model editing), Dolphin (testing), PM on virtual SD card that done according to tutorial you can easily find, PM launcher and Brawl iso. No cheats used other than those already available in PM files.
What program do you use to edit the moves? Not the animations but the properties of the moves. I guess it's PSA but I don't know what's the lastest version. And if you're using BrawlBox for that, how so?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What program do you use to edit the moves? Not the animations but the properties of the moves. I guess it's PSA but I don't know what's the lastest version. And if you're using BrawlBox for that, how so?
BrawlBox 0.67b . It allows you to see hitboxes and stuff like that, so, you're not doing it blindly. Just open character's model, "load moveset" through moveset tab and have fun. Its a lot simpler.
Oh, the new OP is great.

It would be even better if you could add gif links to the single attacks for convenience.
I really appreciate your effort, keep going!
I would if it wouldn't horribly lag my page.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Looking at your wonderful model.... How the hell did Sakitai say it's impossible to make Ridley playable? You aren't even a professional game designer and you made Ridley look wonderful and ferocious! You caught all things that made Ridley great into playable form! Seriously how does a professional like sakurai can't do so wthing like this!? He can make a yoga instructor, a space princess who only makes barriers playable and unique but said Ridley can't happen and said he's dull? So annoying. I really hope your Ridley becomes official for PM! O really hope it becomes true! :)

Top Bottom