• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Don't know about the fingers, but the legs do act really weird. Hell everything about them acts weird.

EDIT: Which Thrown animations are you looking at? The ones with the xD or whatever is at the end of it or just the Thrown animations?
In BrawlBox, yes, but in-game, they look fine.
ANY thrown animation without this xD part, even Ganondorf's Side B throw. It happens because those were made for models that had normal bones on both sides (for example, if you will move Samus' arm up and forward and copy those values to other arm, it will go up and forward as it should).
Well don't you have any friends or people you that can possibly help you it?

Because if not maybe you can search for someone to help you online if that's even possible.

Also you watch Super Gaming Brothers too?

Awesome! :)
I know someone who could help, but he uses Blender and it is impossible to use for Brawl modeling because of the way it exports models. Only 3DS Max can be properly used for that.
I tried. No answer. I have been searching for few weeks already. Still nothing.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Will I be able to use this hack outside of Project: M?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Will I be able to use this hack outside of Project: M?
Most likely yes. If i will have not enough space for vBrawl-only animations like random tripping and trophy stand throw animations, then no, you wouldn't be able to use it outside of Project M. Also, im testing this hack on Project M only, so, there may be some bugs and glitches that appear only in vBrawl.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Most likely yes. If i will have not enough space for vBrawl-only animations like random tripping and trophy stand throw animations, then no, you wouldn't be able to use it outside of Project M. Also, im testing this hack on Project M only, so, there may be some bugs and glitches that appear only in vBrawl.
That's nice to hear! This hack looks amazing btw.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Before i will start making new animations, i decided to make a full moveset list so it would be easier to remember what i should do. Here is full list along with attributes:
Note: only tail blade is useful while tail itself is pretty much useless with its low knockback and damage.
Weight - 100 (same as Mario's)
Falling speed - 0.012 (a bit lower than Bowser's)
Jumps - 5
Jumps height - same as Lucario's because i don't know which attributes in the file i need to change for this.
Running speed - a big higher than Bowser's.
Walking speed - near Bowser's speed.
Air mobility - 0.07/high.
AAA jab - like in previous version.
Side tilt - Ridley's tail swing attack from Other M, but done while standing.
Up tilt - Bowser's UAir with fire added to his mouth (sweetspot) and less startup.
Down tilt - previous version's side tilt, but done while crouching.
Side Smash - previous version's FAir, but done while standing.
Down Smash - same as in previous version.
Up Smash - same as in previous version.
UAir - same as Wolf's.
DAir - same as PM Wario's, but he bounces up higher.
FAir - like side tilt, but in the air and takes less time.
NAir - same as in previous version.
BAir - same as in previous version, but tail doesn't extends.
Grab - uses his arms to grab. Has low start up and a bit of end lag.
Grab attack - bites opponent.
Forward Throw - same as in previous version, but ends faster and has different GFX.
Up Throw - throws opponent up, then basically does Maximum Spider+"Maximum Wesker" before appearing above opponent and going down at high speed, crushing him/her/it under his feet. Ridley is invincible after he jumps and before he lands.
Back Throw - same as previous one.
Down Throw - slams opponent into the ground and, after opponent bounces up, impales him/her. Everything after this goes exactly like in previous version, but goes faster.
Neutral B - previous version's Down B, but always goes straight and less startup. Goes through most of projectiles (or destroyes them, didn't tested yet), can't be just punched like Super Missiles (that was hilariously shown in one of SGB's Project M videos by Johnny as Captain Falcon), but still can be reflected and absorbed.
Side B - like Firebrand's Bom Voyage on the ground and like Ganondorf's Up B in the air (ends with opponent thrown down, goes up while breathing fire). Has nearly no start up and end lag in the air, but has both (mostly end lag) on the ground. Doesn't puts him in a helpless state, but he can't use specials that could be used as a recovery.
Down B - after 100+ frames of roaring, makes his skin reflective and harder, giving him light armor, but becomes slower. Will last for 5 seconds, using Down B again will remove it quickly. Timer starts counting only after he ends animation or gets hit. If he gets hit while roaring, he will still have reflective skin. Has some purple aura around his chest area and becomes a bit darker.
Up B - Firebrand's Strong Demon Missile (but goes higher than Firebrand). Before someone will say anything about something like vBrawl Pit's Up B, this one, along with ROB's Up B, was removed for balancing, so, i have to use something offensive. It won't hurt him too much since he has 5 jumps and Side B (or Up B) to recover. Doesn't puts him in a helpless state, but he can't use specials that could be used as a recovery.
Final Smash - Plasma Beam. vBrawl Lucario's Final Smash with high turning speed, high damage and knockback at the cost of low horizontal range. Once caught, opponent won't escape unless you will move beam away for some reasons.
If some of those will be impossible to do (at least certain part of them), i will have to either replace or remove those (or parts of them that can't be done). Damage will be added later. Things like ledge attacks are not listed.

Last edited:

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Up B - Firebrand's Strong Demon Missile (but goes higher than Firebrand). Before someone will say anything about something like vBrawl Pit's Up B, this one, along with ROB's Up B, was removed for balancing, so, i have to use something offensive.
I'm really glad to read that because I wasn't very excited at the idea of a recovery move for his Up-B. Otherwise, I remain skeptical for the Down-B, but all other movements seem interesting so far.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm really glad to read that because I wasn't very excited at the idea of a recovery move for his Up-B. Otherwise, I remain skeptical for the Down-B, but all other movements seem interesting so far.
Well, it still could be used as recovery since it will go in |\_/ motion and will not put him into a helpless state (but he won't be able to use Side B or Up B).

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Ok, now I'm really curious to see the result.

Which roar are you going to use for his Down-B ? Hopefully you won't forget Ridley-X roar as Easter Egg, it would fit perfectly IMO.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, now I'm really curious to see the result.

Which roar are you going to use for his Down-B ? Hopefully you won't forget Ridley-X roar as Easter Egg, it would fit perfectly IMO.
If i will fail to find Other M roars, i will use Brawl roars and for Down B, it will be one that he uses when flying across the screen (not into it) in Brawl.
It will be used only for taunt. It will stun enemies around Ridley and annoy the players if A button is held.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Whats done since last time i posted any progress:
Standing animation redone and Waiting 2, Dash and run stop animations adapted to fit it. Preview of new standing animation:
Wings in this animations will be improved later;
Finished replacing Lucario's SFX with Other M Ridley's (completly clean and loud enough to be heard, but not too loud).
I think some peoples will dislike Other M roars for some reasons, so, there will be alternate SFX for him with Brawl roars instead. In both versions, there will be Ridley-X's roar that will be used for an easter egg similar to PM HYES Knee of Justice easter egg, but it will stun opponents close to Ridley. It won't help much since taunt during which it will be used will last for too long, so, it is useless outside of turbo mode. It will be triggered by holding A button during one of the taunts (most likely Side Taunt).

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Standing animation redone and Waiting 2, Dash and run stop animations adapted to fit it. Preview of new standing animation:
Finished replacing Lucario's SFX with Other M Ridley's (completly clean and loud enough to be heard, but not too loud).
I think some peoples will dislike Other M roars for some reasons, so, there will be alternate SFX for him with Brawl roars instead. In both versions, there will be Ridley-X's roar that will be used for an easter egg similar to PM HYES Knee of Justice easter egg, but it will stun opponents close to Ridley. It won't help much since taunt during which it will be used will last for too long, so, it is useless outside of turbo mode. It will be triggered by holding A button during one of the taunts (most likely Side Taunt).
The tail going into the foreground looks really bizarre.... was that inevitable?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think the tail moves a little too much but other than that it looks great

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Yes. It is very long and i have to keep Ridley from taking too much space while still moving it in animations. It looks fine from other side and from the front.
Right now it moves to the background, then back to neutral, then foreground, then neutral. Couldn't you just have it go from background to neutral and back to the background? It looks fine whenever it's not in the foreground

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Right now it moves to the background, then back to neutral, then foreground, then neutral. Couldn't you just have it go from background to neutral and back to the background? It looks fine whenever it's not in the foreground
That is not how it works. It would then be only in the foreground and neutral when turned around. It could work like that only in 2d games and SSB4.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
First of all, I would like to say that I am very impressed with the work so far, especially the model! It combines the less awkward Other M body with a classic style head.

Do you think you could give us an update on what's done? Or perhaps your plans for things like alternate costumes and whatnot.

Also, what character is Ridley replacing, and is it possible to have that be changed to someone else easily? I ask because if Project M comes out with another character I don't care much for, I'd want to the place them with Ridley, and/or maybe that Dark Samus mod.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
First of all, I would like to say that I am very impressed with the work so far, especially the model! It combines the less awkward Other M body with a classic style head.

Do you think you could give us an update on what's done? Or perhaps your plans for things like alternate costumes and whatnot.

Also, what character is Ridley replacing, and is it possible to have that be changed to someone else easily? I ask because if Project M comes out with another character I don't care much for, I'd want to the place them with Ridley, and/or maybe that Dark Samus mod.
What is done since last update:
  • 1 new recolors and 1 new alt model: NES Ridley and original Other M model:

Last recolor (10th i think) is in-progress and will be based off Firebrand, but without those things on his arms. Im using this model when animating to make sure there is no clipping with back of his head.
  • All movement animations;
  • AAA jab combo;
  • Some minor attributes alteration.
I would add Meta Ridley as an alt too if i would be skilled enough in modelling. I already posted full moveset here, but i may change few things in it. I would upload a video (like that first one i uploaded showing old version in action when he still couldn't walk properly and shield rolled too far) once i finish enough attacks, but shaking glitch/bug will make it painful to look at and would make it look horrible.
This Ridley is over Lucario, who can be cloned with BrawlEx. He can't be ported to anyone else since articles can't be copied and those are what takes him to the background during Final Smash, his chargable fireball, etc. I think you can easily replace new PM characters like Roy with PSAs, but that would also require new .sawnd file to replace that character's SFX.

Also, it is very easy to moonwalk with this Ridley. Here is how it looks like at 1/4 speed:

I thought it was a bug/glitch, but it is an actual tech that is also important part of Captain Falcon's...forgot how it was called...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If I might ask, but what is Firebrand? I see you refer to it a lot.
Capcom character from Gargoyle's Quest/Ghost 'N Goblins series that appeared in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 and was basically what Ridley could have been in SSB4 if he was playable, but without tail, small and obviously made for standart fighting game enviroment. Here is video showing what he can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIV7-ewm8S4
Around 9:45 starts his part. He even looks a lot like Ridley:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Very impressive, Bagan....Ridley's model and moveset look balanced and could work very well.
Looking forward to an exhibition video of Ridley.

PS: If I may suggest, could you add Ridley-X Scream as a Star KO?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
PS: If I may suggest, could you add Ridley-X Scream as a Star KO?
It is too short (normal roar) or too loud (death roar) at the end. Other M and Brawl death roars are used instead.

New recolor done and it is the last one:

Based off Firebrand, but wings aren't white from the back unfortunately. BPs, CSS and CSPs are done and only stocks and names are left for this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I've ever posted in here, but I've been keeping a close eye on this thread since it began. I'm really excited for this.
I think it would look better without the elbow spikes, but even with them, this is looking excellent. Hopefully this can make it into PM officially. If not, then I suppose I'll have to look into brawlex, 'cause I need this badly.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
It is too short (normal roar) or too loud (death roar) at the end. Other M and Brawl death roars are used instead.

New recolor done and it is the last one:

Based off Firebrand, but wings aren't white from the back unfortunately. BPs, CSS and CSPs are done and only stocks and names are left for this kind of thing.
Ridley looks so BADASS here, very nice work Bagan...
Don't worry about the purple scales in the wings, actually they look good as it is.
Have you shown Ridley's taunts yet?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley looks so BADASS here, very nice work Bagan...
Don't worry about the purple scales in the wings, actually they look good as it is.
Have you shown Ridley's taunts yet?
No, they are not done yet.

If possible, i may add baby metroid capsule to one of his win poses. I will use Brawl/Other M model for metroid and Samus's entry animation save station if i will decide to add this. But file size limit would most likely not allow that.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
just a question but what would the brawl model look like on your psa?

Even if my model would be big enough to avoid translation (bone trans thing, not language translation) problem, he would look stretched like Pikadorf and would require to be completly rerigged because he has more bones and his wings are done in a different way.

Last edited:

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Boy that isn't terrifying or anything

Oh, boy! I'm so excited! It looks like this is almost done! And it such a short amount of time, I think. It looks like you started this around this time in September, and you've managed to make this in two months!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Boy that isn't terrifying or anything

Oh, boy! I'm so excited! It looks like this is almost done! And it such a short amount of time, I think. It looks like you started this around this time in September, and you've managed to make this in two months!
No. Its far from done. I didn't even finished all of ground attacks yet! It actually took me 2-3 weeks to nearly finish previous version, so, what you say isn't that far from truth. This version is made completly from scratch, using nothing from previous version, and may take a lot longer.

Some more images showing just movement stuff:

Nothing really exciting, but it shows Ridley's recolors when compared to PM 3.5's Samus alts.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Man it would be pretty neat to expand the roster to add him in, it keeps getting better and better.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
The PM did say they planned on adding new characters. I seriously hope they accept you and allow Ridley to be playable and tournament legal like Roy and Mewtwo. That would be so epic!

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
I really hope You'll be on The PM team a Day and that your Ridley will Be The 5th completely new character added! (I don't think i'm allowed to mention The other 4, even if I think some know them) It will Be So AWESOME If it happens! Keep The good Work Bagan!

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
I really hope You'll be on The PM team a Day and that your Ridley will Be The 5th completely new character added! (I don't think i'm allowed to mention The other 4, even if I think some know them) It will Be So AWESOME If it happens! Keep The good Work Bagan!

Top Bottom