• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Bagan you and the PM team are out only hope! With sakurai recently saying he can't make Ridley playable for "ruining his character" yet has clone ganon, Landmaster falco, giant olimar, rosalina who sacrifices her own children, etc.

Please if Ridley officially becomes playable in PM that would make sakurai look like a big fool for what he did. Please I hope y'all are able to make Ridley in PM a true reality! :)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Bagan you and the PM team are out only hope! With sakurai recently saying he can't make Ridley playable for "ruining his character" yet has clone ganon, Landmaster falco, giant olimar, rosalina who sacrifices her own children, etc.

Please if Ridley officially becomes playable in PM that would make sakurai look like a big fool for what he did. Please I hope y'all are able to make Ridley in PM a true reality! :)
He will look like a fool if Ridley is EVER made playable in SSB game by someone else.

Anyway, have this for now:

This is jab combo's first hit. I need to figure out how to properly pose those claw swipe trails, then i will post a gif showing full jab combo. Right now, i can say only that is is better to not be used when too close to small characters because he will miss. I will try to reduce distance he travels during this attacks if it will get in the way too much.

Other news - i heard somewhere that PM will reopen those application (or something like that) threads soon. Those are good news if they are true.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I cant wait to see this outcome. You can really make
He will look like a fool if Ridley is EVER made playable in SSB game by someone else.

Anyway, have this for now:

This is jab combo's first hit. I need to figure out how to properly pose those claw swipe trails, then i will post a gif showing full jab combo. Right now, i can say only that is is better to not be used when too close to small characters because he will miss. I will try to reduce distance he travels during this attacks if it will get in the way too much.

Other news - i heard somewhere that PM will reopen those application (or something like that) threads soon. Those are good news if they are true.
From what it sounds like Ridley seems like he will still be awkward to fight as/against. Please prove me wrong.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
From what it sounds like Ridley seems like he will still be awkward to fight as/against. Please prove me wrong.
I will fix that by reducing distance he travels during 1st hit, so, it won't be that bad. It is just an animation issue. 2nd hit will remain unchanged because 1st hit has fixed knockback putting opponent far enough to hit and he moves only when his arm should be hitting something, so, there is no problems with it. Other attacks won't have him go anywhere from the starting point except for Side B, Up B and some of his throws.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I will fix that by reducing distance he travels during 1st hit, so, it won't be that bad. It is just an animation issue. 2nd hit will remain unchanged because 1st hit has fixed knockback putting opponent far enough to hit and he moves only when his arm should be hitting something, so, there is no problems with it. Other attacks won't have him go anywhere from the starting point except for Side B, Up B and some of his throws.
Good to know. I have faith in this Project, keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Bagan, did you ever find someone who could do that rescaling? And is that all you need? Like, if he was rescaled, would you be able to fix up his materials and shaders after he's re-imported at the new size?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Bagan, did you ever find someone who could do that rescaling? And is that all you need? Like, if he was rescaled, would you be able to fix up his materials and shaders after he's re-imported at the new size?
All i need is his model rescaled to be 5.2x bigger and bones on the right side fixed so they would animate properly when thrown. I will be able to fix materials and shaders on new model. There is also something else i need, but i don't think i can find someone who could help with it here. At least not easily.

Shin F.

Smash Master
All i need is his model rescaled to be 5.2x bigger and bones on the right side fixed so they would animate properly when thrown. I will be able to fix materials and shaders on new model. There is also something else i need, but i don't think i can find someone who could help with it here. At least not easily.
You want him scaled just by his model, right? But leave the bones the same size? Or do you want him scaled with them? Either way, I think I can at least do the scaling for you if you wanna PM me the files. Depending on what's wrong with the right-side bones, I may or may not be able to fix them. Can't make any promises on that part. I've done imports (not PSAs, though) before, but I never paid any attention to the throw animations since they always look so wacky.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You want him scaled just by his model, right? But leave the bones the same size? Or do you want him scaled with them? Either way, I think I can at least do the scaling for you if you wanna PM me the files. Depending on what's wrong with the right-side bones, I may or may not be able to fix them. Can't make any promises on that part. I've done imports (not PSAs, though) before, but I never paid any attention to the throw animations since they always look so wacky.
I want bones to be scaled up with the model so their translation values would be higher than 5 in most cases. Problem with bones on the right side is that if i will copy values from left arm turned up and forward, it will go back and down instead of going up and forward. Files will be ready in few minutes.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I'm wondering, when Ridley gets completed and hopefully even added to PM, is there any possibility we can use this to convince Nintendo to make DLC translating this Ridley to Smash 4? Business-related complications aside, it's be really awesome to see something official made of this.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Bagan,this is very good looking.I like it a lot more than the models you showed in the Clone Engine thread,looks very much like Ridley.I hope you see this through to the end!

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I'm wondering, when Ridley gets completed and hopefully even added to PM, is there any possibility we can use this to convince Nintendo to make DLC translating this Ridley to Smash 4? Business-related complications aside, it's be really awesome to see something official made of this.
Realistically I doubt it. But if he is in Project M then it will make a lot more people convinced to play it, aswell as make Sakurai look like a complete ***.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Realistically I doubt it. But if he is in Project M then it will make a lot more people convinced to play it, aswell as make Sakurai look like a complete ***.
I agree, much higher, well let's be honest, only way would be in Project M. Once it is polished, in time I can see the team adding him in for both the sake of popularity and uniqueness.

The only way in Smash 4 is one day in the future, some dedicated players/modders hack their way in and do what they did with Brawl .... calling it ... Code M?

Granted I like the Smash 4 gam play since I am not a uber competitive fast paced guy ... I would like to add costumes and expand the rooster. Maybe someday. Maybe.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I think that if Ridley was in a very popular fan production like Project M, it'll at least get Nintendo's attention. After all, Mewtwo :mewtwopm:did return in Project M before Smash 4. Whether this actually correlates with P:M is questionable since Mewtwo was making significant appearances in the core Pokemon series again, as well as being a highly requested character in Japan, but it's still noteworthy that it was in P:M.

I think Sakurai is justified in wanting to maintain the menacing perception of Ridley that correlates with his size. Sure, Olimar :4olimar: is larger but he's still one of the smaller characters in the game. On the other side of the coin, Bowser :4bowser: is scaled down, but his size fluctuates on a regular basis anyways. From the way I see it, his body size is on par with the Mario Kart series. But irregardless, I think Ridley can be scaled down a bit from his appearances in the Metroid series and still be the same space pirate we all know and love. Seeing Ridley become an official character of Project M could be the nudge that Sakurai needs to conceive of a way for him to work as a playable character in the next Smash Bros. Perhaps when that installment goes into production (in what? 2018?) the Metroid series itself gets enough attention to have another playable character in Smash be a more than justifiable decision. :4samus:

Keep in mind that Sakurai has changed his mind in the past, even if it does take a few Smash installments. (considered for Brawl: :4villager:,:4mii:,:4pacman:)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have a feeling if Ridley becomes playable in project m. That sakurai would most likely consider Ridley for smash 5
I doubt it, but if it will be well received, then he may at least think about it.

Here is nearly finished jab combo:

I had to mess around with code to get results i wanted for more than i expected. Soon jab combo will be completly finished. It deals pretty high damage for a simple jab combo, yes, but it has ~20 frames of startup, so, its balanced. Animations for first 2 hits are 70% accurate to Other M. Stuff gets done pretty slowly, huh? I want to fix this.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Can you post a link to your tumblr/twitter/site that you use that shows your daily Ridley PM updates? :)
I haven't done that for a while, but here it is: http://bagansmashbros.deviantart.com/

Speaking of updates, jab combo fully done and dash attack is done too:

I was lucky enough to hit with a sweetspot. Dash attack KOes Mario at 170%, jab combo - at ~100% (i don't remember does it has to be sweetspoted for that or not). Dash attack has only 10 start up frames, but has 25 end lag frames while jab combo has ~20 start up frames (start) and 10 end lag frames (end of combo), but lasts for longer, so, Ridley is left vulnerable for a while. Don't know which one is more effective and i can't test it since dash attack launches diagonally while jab combo launches horizontally.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This will be worth getting a copy of Brawl for, I know it.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I haven't done that for a while, but here it is: http://bagansmashbros.deviantart.com/

I was lucky enough to hit with a sweetspot. Dash attack KOes Mario at 170%, jab combo - at ~100% (i don't remember does it has to be sweetspoted for that or not). Dash attack has only 10 start up frames, but has 25 end lag frames while jab combo has ~20 start up frames (start) and 10 end lag frames (end of combo), but lasts for longer, so, Ridley is left vulnerable for a while. Don't know which one is more effective and i can't test it since dash attack launches diagonally while jab combo launches horizontally.
I love the jab combo! Is it just the tail-blade that is an active hitbox in the animation, or is it the entire tail?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This is ****ing amazing.

I know I'll be downloading this mod as soon as it's finished.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Hell, this is looking GORGEOUS!

Extraordinarily good work. This is something I'd love to see in PM 4.0. Hell, I don't even care if he's Z-tier, I just want to play as that badass space pterodactyl...

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
i've never been a supporter for ridley in smash, but these look good.

can i just say a couple of things -

you have captured a really heavy feel on these strikes, but the way he snaps back from his third strike to his idol position is way too fast. the tail swipe looks real janky just stopping mid sweep.

this one's real good, I just think it needs a bit more endlag.

got to admit this is definitely much better than any work i've ever seen previously. will keep an eye on.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
you have captured a really heavy feel on these strikes, but the way he snaps back from his third strike to his idol position is way too fast. the tail swipe looks real janky just stopping mid sweep.
It looks better in-game than on those gifs (frame rate is cut by at least 50% and i recorded it on Dolphin, which means there is even more slowdown). It actually looks like this:

All of gifs i show have this framerate issue.
this one's real good, I just think it needs a bit more endlag.
End lag is 30 frames, horizontal range is limited and it KOes Mario only at 150%+ on Final Destination. Samus is ligher than Mario, who is considered to have average weight.

More stuff done:
Down tilt:

Fixed shaking bug:

Those 2 gifs above show how fast Ridley is on the ground when compared to Samus. Max walking speed is very close, but he runs slower (it is one of the slowest).
Since Varia Ridley (AKA SSB4 Meta Ridley's real name used in Other M files) for Down B is impossible without some heavy hex code focus pocus i can't do, i decided to replace it with 2 different specials. Ground version will be like Firebrand's jump>flight mode, but without flight part. Aerial version will be like cancellable Bowser Bomb, but a lot faster. Other than that, not much changes except for Up Throw animation - he will throw opponent up, jump, slash him/her 3 times, knocking opponent higher with each slash done while moving in Z motion, and then slam opponent into the ground with a tail strike and then attempt to crush him/her like he does during aerial Down B. It will deal 17% (3% - each slash, 3% - tail strike, 1% - opponent slamming into the ground, 4% - Ridley crushing opponent) and high knockback, but will last for a while, making it easy to punish for other players. Dash grab will also have long end lag (40-50 frames) and it is the commonly used one, so, it is a high reward for such risk.

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
This is amazing work, keep it up!! Also, I have a rather silly question, which may have been answered before, but... once this is finished, will it be put in a new slot a la Mewtwo, or does it go over Lucario, replacing him?

I'm not the most tech savvy, so I appreciate your asnwers.

Thanks again, and great work.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This is amazing work, keep it up!! Also, I have a rather silly question, which may have been answered before, but... once this is finished, will it be put in a new slot a la Mewtwo, or does it go over Lucario, replacing him?

I'm not the most tech savvy, so I appreciate your asnwers.

Thanks again, and great work.
If it will become official, then new slot. If not, then replaces Lucario. It will be possible to make BrawlEx port for him, but that would work only for Brawl and not Project M.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is looking really good! The Other M model really works well, too. Although the head is still strange.
Perhaps if you were to actually get him into Project M, then they could make a hybrid model for him.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This is looking really good! The Other M model really works well, too. Although the head is still strange.
Perhaps if you were to actually get him into Project M, then they could make a hybrid model for him.
Its better than duck face he had before.
Or at least Meta Ridley alt.

For insignificant stuff, a banner for this project was made and only text from it looks odd.

And here is extra size comparison between current and previous versions of this mod on Battlefield:

Current model takes less space and has better proportions, but previous one had better size, but it also clipped through platforms even when just standing.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Its better than duck face he had before.
Or at least Meta Ridley alt.
For insignificant stuff, a banner for this project was made and only text from it looks odd.
Forgive me, I haven't seen the model up close yet. He looks much better than Other M.
Though coloring is still strange to me...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Forgive me, I haven't seen the model up close yet. He looks much better than Other M.
Though coloring is still strange to me...
It is based off that fake SSB for 3DS Ridley leak. There is original Other M textures, Super Metroid artwork, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission artwork, black, white, NES, Charizard and Firebrand recolors available too.

Right now OP is getting remade to make it easier to get information on this project.
EDIT: OP fully updated.

Last edited:

Insanity's Bane

Smash Rookie
If it will become official, then new slot. If not, then replaces Lucario. It will be possible to make BrawlEx port for him, but that would work only for Brawl and not Project M.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=67116.0
I don't know how stable this thing even is; I'm just posting it here because I dislike the idea of having to replace even though it's almost impossible to avoid due to technical difficulties. I hope the above link provided works, if not... well, that's too bad for me.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So if this ends up becoming part of Project M, how is this going to mesh with the Ridley boss in the SSE? IIRC, the two original bosses that were made for this game's SFX were replaced by Mewtwo's and Roy's imported sound effects from Melee. Is your Ridley mod using sound effects from both Ridley fights, resulting in yet another awkward scenario like this?

Keep in mind that I haven't tried out the SSE in 3.5 yet, so I don't know if that problem has been fixed.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So if this ends up becoming part of Project M, how is this going to mesh with the Ridley boss in the SSE? IIRC, the two original bosses that were made for this game's SFX were replaced by Mewtwo's and Roy's imported sound effects from Melee. Is your Ridley mod using sound effects from both Ridley fights, resulting in yet another awkward scenario like this?

Keep in mind that I haven't tried out the SSE in 3.5 yet, so I don't know if that problem has been fixed.
HMMMM HM HM HM HHHMM HHM HM HM HMMMMM HM HM HMMM HMMM HMHMM HMMM lol.

I remember the last video of the pre revamp mod using SSE sounds.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Most likely Meta Ridley will be used and sounds will be properly replaced - roars with roars, fireballs with fireballs, wing flaps with wing flaps, etc. And it wasn't fixed yet, but it does fits when Mewlleom laughs maniacally.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=67116.0
I don't know how stable this thing even is; I'm just posting it here because I dislike the idea of having to replace even though it's almost impossible to avoid due to technical difficulties. I hope the above link provided works, if not... well, that's too bad for me.
It doesn't properly works unfortunately.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
0_0 That jab combo is too good for my eyes to see. I just hope you are thinking about balance. If you aren't, then use the dev team's blog posts to help you out, and have a clear pros and cons list of Ridley. Ridley was leaked a little so this may get replaced. Do you have a download that works with 3.5? He replaces Lucario right?

If I ever got interested in making a character, I'd make the Masked Man from Mother 3 or anything to replace Olimar. Olimar is to 3.5 as Icies and Puff are to 3.02. Useless crap character. If I were a part of the dev team, I would allow Puff to hold a Rollout charge so that it gives her a strong mixup and way to force approaches, fix Olimar's stupid recovery, remove all the weird 3.y nerfs to Olimar that make no sense, and trash the old pikmin mechanics for ones that actually work. Aside from maybe crouch canceling and Olimar is the most poorly designed character ever.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
0_0 That jab combo is too good for my eyes to see. I just hope you are thinking about balance. If you aren't, then use the dev team's blog posts to help you out, and have a clear pros and cons list of Ridley. Ridley was leaked a little so this may get replaced. Do you have a download that works with 3.5? He replaces Lucario right?

If I ever got interested in making a character, I'd make the Masked Man from Mother 3 or anything to replace Olimar. Olimar is to 3.5 as Icies and Puff are to 3.02. Useless crap character. If I were a part of the dev team, I would allow Puff to hold a Rollout charge so that it gives her a strong mixup and way to force approaches, fix Olimar's stupid recovery, remove all the weird 3.y nerfs to Olimar that make no sense, and trash the old pikmin mechanics for ones that actually work. Aside from maybe crouch canceling and Olimar is the most poorly designed character ever.
It has longest start up out of all jab combos in Project M (20+ frames compared to everyone's instant hit and Bowser's ~5 frames) and knockback was reduced after i made that gif. Im trying to make him laggy on the ground and ridicolously powerful in the air, but he has absolutely no super armor and is a middle weight character and is a large target. While he can't be as easily comboed as characters like Bowser because he isn't heavy, he still won't last for long. 3 Falcon Punches, 2 Warlock Punches, 2 Bowser side smashes and i think 3-5 DK Punches were enough to KO him from the center of Final Destination.

That doesn't works like this. You can't replace anyone with anything. I used Lucario because he has a chargable projectile, the only final smash that would fit Ridley other than Zero Lazer and a command grab, which means i can go nuts with moveset and i won't have to use fake projectiles. If i would use Olimar, there would be pikmins following him and overall quality would be a lot lower.

Top Bottom