• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Bat swing: Doesn't make sense for his leg to move forward.
Glide: idc, don't even play PM or Brawl anymore.
Grab: Try to make more of a return animation as opposed to a "I just copied the frame 1 keyframe and put it at the end"

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You think you could add it as an actual, slower crawl, just as a reference? i personally really like it, it would be a nice trade-off.
I actually have animation prepared for this just in case i'll be able to use Lucario without that shaking problem...somewhere...But i won't add crawl because i can't. I can't, but it is possible.
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

Thank you.

@ MerryShadow MerryShadow

I couldn't agree more. I haven't played as Ridley yet, but I really do like his crawling run animation. It makes him more distant from the characters that glide run like Meta Knight and Charizard. Still, I'm sure Bagan know what's best at the end of the day.
No problems.

True. It is unique compared to other flying characters.
I'm super impressed with the work you've put into this mod.
I will say that I kinda wish his tail's range wasn't decreased so dramatically going into version 2.0. I thought the length in version 1.9 was pretty much perfect. I'm not sure if this was discussed prior or not, but, what do you feel on the matter?
Thanks.
It was too long. You could reach your opponent easily and you wouldn't get hit easily (his tail is also invincible btw). It was like if Dedede would have longer (but thinner) hammer and would lose a lot of weight. Or like 3.0 Mewtwo if his tail would be invincible.
Bat swing: Doesn't make sense for his leg to move forward.
Glide: idc, don't even play PM or Brawl anymore.
Grab: Try to make more of a return animation as opposed to a "I just copied the frame 1 keyframe and put it at the end"
Thats to make it look more powerful or something and he actually moves while swinging it, so, he doesn't just moves his leg forward.
U w0t m8?
Its not like this. Its just goes back too quickly. There is extra movement.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
It doesn't look more powerful. Just looks awkward. Try moving his left arm up and over towards his chest. Make his whole upper body move for more power. The leg just looks weird.
Yeah, I don't care for either anymore.
Definitely doesn't look like it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It doesn't look more powerful. Just looks awkward. Try moving his left arm up and over towards his chest. Make his whole upper body move for more power. The leg just looks weird.
Yeah, I don't care for either anymore.
Definitely doesn't look like it.
He actually moves forward while using it, like when using his jab. I don't think i should move his left arm though - he puts it into same pose during his jabs in Other M when he is using his right arm. As for upper body requiring more movement...i don't know what to move here.

Can't really tell when its he has so many parts and there are only 25 frames while he goes to starting pose. He lifts his left leg to step back, his tail is bent , his arm moves back into starting position while forearm is still in same pose as before, he turns his head shortly after going into this part of animation.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
If he's supposed to step forward, then have him step forward with the left leg and then when he swings move the right leg so it's still behind him.
If you've ever swung anything like that, you'd know you don't bring your foot forward like that. Come on, that's basic stuff.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If he's supposed to step forward, then have him step forward with the left leg and then when he swings move the right leg so it's still behind him.
If you've ever swung anything like that, you'd know you don't bring your foot forward like that. Come on, that's basic stuff.
It would look more awkward. And he steps forward while swinging.

He does same thing in Other M and during jabs.
He doesn't uses any items while doing so of course, but still. And he also bends his fingers in pretty weird ways here.
Idunno about how i would do that - it didn't felt uncomfortable performing same action. But turning 180 degrees back without moving my legs doesn't feels uncomfortable either. This kind of method doesn't works for me.

Last edited:

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
It would look more awkward. And he steps forward while swinging.

He does same thing in Other M and during jabs.
He doesn't uses any items while doing so of course, but still. And he also bends his fingers in pretty weird ways here.
Idunno about how i would do that - it didn't felt uncomfortable performing same action. But turning 180 degrees back without moving my legs doesn't feels uncomfortable either. This kind of method doesn't works for me.
Then i suggest making him step forward before he swings and have his body weight on that leg. The main problem drogoth232 is highlighting is how having his leg off the ground during the swing is unnatural (there is no way he can have the leverage needed for a powerful swing this way), that should fix it while keeping the animation similar, i think.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Then i suggest making him step forward before he swings and have his body weight on that leg. The main problem drogoth232 is highlighting is how having his leg off the ground during the swing is unnatural (there is no way he can have the leverage needed for a powerful swing this way), that should fix it while keeping the animation similar, i think.
Im pretty much just copying part of Other M jab for the swinging part. But i'll try it out and see how it looks like. I also have to make sure he swings it at ~60th frame.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Tried it. Don't see much of a difference:

I can't make him swing it later because i have to make him swing it at 60th frame. Its not a matter of personal preferences. But i can't make him start swinging it earlier without removing first part because it will be too fast if i'll take few frames from it and use them for swinging part.

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
Tried it. Don't see much of a difference:

I can't make him swing it later because i have to make him swing it at 60th frame. Its not a matter of personal preferences. But i can't make him start swinging it earlier without removing first part because it will be too fast if i'll take few frames from it and use them for swinging part.
Yeah, it's not much better, the step in would have to be much earlier.
The other m animation doesn't make much sense anyway, it looks like the force of the swing comes from his left leg and he just kinda brake with his right leg. Actually, maybe having the step in be after the swing would look better.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's not much better, the step in would have to be much earlier.
The other m animation doesn't make much sense anyway, it looks like the force of the swing comes from his left leg and he just kinda brake with his right leg. Actually, maybe having the step in be after the swing would look better.
Then i would have to remove first part. But then there would be no reason for him to delay the swing.
Ridley is just weird in Other M. He can bend his shins sideways (you can rotate the whole leg sideways, but not just that part), can bend middle and last joints of his fingers in opposite way without having to bend entire finger this way, his tail joints/segments can move around without rotating, etc. But since this is not a human and im using Other M Ridley, i can repeat same mistakes. Still won't bend middle/2nd part of his neck sideways though.
It would be pointless in such case.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
And here is my combat report for v 2.0.

Some characters seem to have trouble, or it's impossible for them to recover after his command grab off-ledge. Seems the stun time is too much for them.
Also I can switch the flight direction after a sucessful grab. Is that intentional?

His side smash is really fluid now. Though, missing that tail range, but it's not crazy anymore.

Loving the new taunt options.

And he still can't use is recovery move after being hit. But I suppose it's fine, considering he can combine it with his command grab for bonus distance.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
And here is my combat report for v 2.0.

Some characters seem to have trouble, or it's impossible for them to recover after his command grab off-ledge. Seems the stun time is too much for them.
Also I can switch the flight direction after a sucessful grab. Is that intentional?

His side smash is really fluid now. Though, missing that tail range, but it's not crazy anymore.

Loving the new taunt options.

And he still can't use is recovery move after being hit. But I suppose it's fine, considering he can combine it with his command grab for bonus distance.
I think its fine. You have even lower chance of survival with Ganondorf.

No. Its getting fixed in the next update.

Yeah, it was ridicolous. Still better than what was in that first showcase.

Thats not intentional and probably is fixed after i re-imported the coding into a new vBrawl Pit file. I'll test it with some smart bombs.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
<_<
>_>

Just have to fix the issue with zooming in (you can't zoom in on them at all, but you can still rotate them). 2nd trophy replaces Palutena's Army and is more based on All-Star and Adventure Mode trophies from Melee.
Description prepared for it:
In Project M, while he is sluggish on the ground, Ridley excels at aerial combat.
Unless launched far enough to KO, he will always come back thanks to his multiple jumps
and glide. Fortunately, this big guy is surprisingly fragile, but don't let your guard down
because he hits really hard and puts his arsenal of natural weapons to good use.
Kinda cheesy, i know, but i guess its fine.
And im going to use this kind of images for OP (which i also will use as a moveset info and stuff for the readme instead of putting it all in the text file) after the next update:

I would like to use animations instead, but i can't create those WITH hitboxes shown, so, i'll have to go with those. They don't have consistent camera distance and angle, but thats not why they are here. They are here to show where hitboxes are. If attack can hit more than once with different hitboxes, then it uses two or more images (for example, Up Smash...you know, that might be the only example).

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
I have 2 questions.

1. Do you plan to redo any animations?

2.What is your favorite alt. For him?

Mine is his Zero Mission alt. :)

Cahalan

Smash Ace
It looks weird on them because they don't flap wings. It does looks kinda weird with him while on the ground and in this pose, but i'll have to make such animation at some point. Its inevitable.
All-fours run DID came straight from Other M. I just fixed head rotation (KingJigglypuff messed up something with his head, so, his head is looking 40 degree higher than original model when same rotation values are used) and tail. And translation stuff.

Remade grap animation to look like SilentDo0m's jab 1 animation, except with longer end lag. Will show it later.

EDIT: here:

His legs kinda shake, but i can't fix that and its not noticable in the game.
...oh, and recolor shown is going to be part of extra recolors i'll upload separately from the main pack one i'll be sure there are no issues with the mod. Other recolors included will be White, Charizard, Firebrand, Smash 3 (no real texture changes - just different kind of rimlighting) and true Other M Ridley. And one more recolor i won't name for now, but it won't be anything special. I just don't know how to call it.
I love the animation revamps happening in the next update! :D

Funny you mentioned a smash 3 rim-light costume for ridley because I was able to keep both edges on ridley by moving the metal materials to a new shader and copying the properties of their original shader on to the new one. (And making the original edge stage have a multiplier of 1 instead of 2)
I'll post it later so you can use it or something...

Also what caused the problems with the meta ridley alt from before?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I love the animation revamps happening in the next update! :D

Funny you mentioned a smash 3 rim-light costume for ridley because I was able to keep both edges on ridley by moving the metal materials to a new shader and copying the properties of their original shader on to the new one. (And making the original edge stage have a multiplier of 1 instead of 2)
I'll post it later so you can use it or something...

Also what caused the problems with the meta ridley alt from before?
Ok then. Can't wait to see those.

You mean that recolor? Well, texture used for his head, neck, tail and base of the wings had incorrect size (Brawl supports only numbers like 126, 64, 256, 512, 32, etc. and not 571, 3, 97, etc. or something like that). This recolor and Kirby hat are fixed now. Well, at least Kirby hat is. Don't remember if i got confirmation on Meta Ridley.

And looks like trophies will have to remain impossible to...er...zoom-in on. Oh well. They still can be rotated at least. Will keep them...forgot the word for it (optional?)...because of this and because i'll have to replace entire KI category.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Just part of the extra recolors im preparing while waiting for beta testers' feedback:

I think you'll know what those are based on. Well, except for red and black one because its teh original.
And what is a spoiler?

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Awesome! Will check those out. Thanks.
EDIT: looks good.
Before:
After:
I can notice the difference. There are white outlines on his body now. Probably looks better in the game.
I'm glad you enjoy this! :D Also does the meta-ridley color look normal, I edited the size of the "glitched" texture from the current download to be like the other costumes...

Edit: looks at @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros icon...
*Suddenly has an urge to wind a music box and put on a samus helmet.*

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Finally back and choked on progress.
Good.
I'm glad you enjoy this! :D Also does the meta-ridley color look normal, I edited the size of the "glitched" texture from the current download to be like the other costumes...

Edit: looks at @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros icon...
*Suddenly has an urge to wind a music box and put on a samus helmet.*
Not sure - didn't tested that one in the game, but if you fixed its size, then it should work properly.

You probably should just put on the helmet and wait. And then check the hallway.

And thing on my icon isn't just random like Kaptain K.Ridley i had before - its part of the extra recolors pack along with White Ridley (cut from v2.1), Charizard Ridley (cut from v2.1), Firebrand Ridley (cut from v2.0), Metroid Blast Robot Ridley, MP3 Meta Ridley, Ice Ridley Robot, Mecha Ridley and just Meta Ridley with black and red colors. Looks like this in normal state:
With Metal Box or in a very dark stage:
Because of how random it is, its just an extra thing.

Last edited:

RadicalMongoose

Smash Apprentice
Would you happen to know if the latest version is compatible with PM 3.6? I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work, my system just freezes when I try to load up project M.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Would you happen to know if the latest version is compatible with PM 3.6? I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work, my system just freezes when I try to load up project M.
Moveset and coding on Ridley himself are compatible, but most of the other stuff included (including RSBE01.gct in the codes folder and common5.pac in projectm>pf>system) is not. I already fixed it for the next update...but it has few other problems i have to fix right now.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Decided to add few extra parts to the model. Nothing too important, but it makes his wings look less...empty:

This causes no extra lag because those spikes are very simple. Based off concept art from Other M, where Ridley was a lot thinner, but had a six-pack and his teeth were not visible when his mouth was closed. His wings also had normal size like on my model. I also plan on replacing that firebreath win animation because its kinda lame.

Also, the model Cahalan used was outdated and had glitchy right hand (noticable if you are far from the stage) and it looks like i can't just take materials from it and use on current model. F***.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Decided to add few extra parts to the model. Nothing too important, but it makes his wings look less...empty:

This causes no extra lag because those spikes are very simple. Based off concept art from Other M, where Ridley was a lot thinner, but had a six-pack and his teeth were not visible when his mouth was closed. His wings also had normal size like on my model. I also plan on replacing that firebreath win animation because its kinda lame.

Also, the model Cahalan used was outdated and had glitchy right hand (noticable if you are far from the stage) and it looks like i can't just take materials from it and use on current model. F***.
You know what would look good? Give him small spikes like he does in the Other M Concept art but make them them small and put them below his outer wrist, I think that would look good on him, also would it be possible to have it where he would have teeth not stick out because when you bought up the fact that they don't stick out on deviantart I make me wonder how would look?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You know what would look good? Give him small spikes like he does in the Other M Concept art but make them them small and put them below his outer wrist, I think that would look good on him, also would it be possible to have it where he would have teeth not stick out because when you bought up the fact that they don't stick out on deviantart I make me wonder how would look?
It would look good...for some. Most don't like those spikes at all. Also, more freedom when working with the model.
I can either make them stick out or remove them. Nothing between that. I can't move his lips, you know?

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

It would look good...for some. Most don't like those spikes at all. Also, more freedom when working with the model.
I can either make them stick out or remove them. Nothing between that. I can't move his lips, you know?
What about make them look smaller like how they looked in Other M?

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

looking pretty cool there, Bagan

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What about make them look smaller like how they looked in Other M?
If you mean his teeth, then just take a look at the original Other M model.

Another minor thing done:

Now this subspace clone thing matches other models of its kind. Couldn't get his eyes to look right though. I also updated the invisible model, but its invisible, so...

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

If you mean his teeth, then just take a look at the original Other M model.

Another minor thing done:

Now this subspace clone thing matches other models of its kind. Couldn't get his eyes to look right though. I also updated the invisible model, but its invisible, so...
OK.

Other M.

Yeah they look a lot smaller on the Other M model.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Good.

Not sure - didn't tested that one in the game, but if you fixed its size, then it should work properly.

You probably should just put on the helmet and wait. And then check the hallway.

And thing on my icon isn't just random like Kaptain K.Ridley i had before - its part of the extra recolors pack along with White Ridley (cut from v2.1), Charizard Ridley (cut from v2.1), Firebrand Ridley (cut from v2.0), Metroid Blast Robot Ridley, MP3 Meta Ridley, Ice Ridley Robot, Mecha Ridley and just Meta Ridley with black and red colors. Looks like this in normal state:
With Metal Box or in a very dark stage:
Because of how random it is, its just an extra thing.
Now all you have to do is make him yellow and he'll be golden (freddy). *Puts on mask and hides in corner*

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace

I'll wait for the new model... Besides if this is applying for All costumes (which it probably is), then it's worth the wait.
One question, are the metal materials on their own separate shader this time around?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Now all you have to do is make him yellow and he'll be golden (freddy). *Puts on mask and hides in corner*
But that guy had...uh...no eyes, so...Its, um, more of Shadow Freddy. *nervous laughter*
I'll wait for the new model... Besides if this is applying for All costumes (which it probably is), then it's worth the wait.
One question, are the metal materials on their own separate shader this time around?
The only model that won't get those spikes is Meta Ridley recolor. But i also fixed its right hand, so, it will require...that thing to be done again.
Yes, they use separate shader now.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
OK.

Other M.

Yeah they look a lot smaller on the Other M model.
They are a lot smaller. I made them longer and more curved than on the original Other M model.
well the pose is golden freddy's with shadow freddy's look.
Shadow Freddy already has this pose, so, just Shadow Freddy.
...wait...Shadow Freddy is actually very dark purple...Ridley is also purple and had similar pose after getting killed by Queen Metroid...and he also is not above killing children like certain other purple...oh god...
#insanefnaftheories

Just few screenshots prepared to be used as previews for v2.1 on KC-MM/Brawl Vault:

Last edited:
Top Bottom